Charcoal

Twelve Majestic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


“Just, take a deep inhale. Don't stress yourself, this thing takes a lot of time,” I gave Chanyeol a smile, crossing my legs into a square and handing him the notebook in which the written sentence was on. Chanyeol smiled faintly, sweat of strain rolling down his forehead. His smile was tired, exhausted; not physically – we weren't doing anything physical – but mentally. It had been two hours since we were sitting down on the grass, trying to make him blurt out a sound, or a noise of some sort.

I knew Chanyeol was slowly beating himself up about it, because he couldn't say anything at all. He couldn't even heave a small ‘ah’, which was getting to his nerves. I told him it was alright countless of times, and that practice will make him better. But the longer we tried, the more it got him frustrated with himself.

“Why don't we stop now, hmm?” I tried saying soothingly, reaching for his bangs and ruffling his red locks away from his forehead. “You seem tired, and we won’t get it right the first time we try.”

Reluctantly, Chanyeol agreed, slowly backing his head from my hold and gathering his strewn notebooks and sketchbook – I even bought him a colorful set of pens -- he layed his back down upon the grass, closing his eyes and breathing from his nose. I stared at him with sympathetic eyes. Chanyeol didn't deserve any of this, and I’m sure whatever it was that was blocking his sound, it was more mental than physical. I knew he had been holding himself for years to the point he couldn't even remember how to speak. I haven't really seen a case like this in my life before, but I heard about it countless of times. Despite the trust between us, I knew it will take a lot more than that to motivate Chanyeol.

Just when I was about to curl up beside him, someone’s finger poked my forehead hesitantly, and when I looked at the culprit, he immediately stretched his hand back to his sides. Kyungsoo’s eyes were naturally wide, but right now, they were wider. He stared at his fingers while I frowned, and soon cupped his cheeks, running his hands over his wounds.

“Well, I sure didn't heal,” he murmured loud enough for us to hear, and Sehun, who was laying his head on Kai’s thighs, arose from his position and turned to Kyungsoo with a frown, his gray hair sticking up on all sides. His hair seemed darker than before: when I first had him, and the sun glistening harshly on us all made it look dark. It didn't look grayish, but more charcoal-like. Xiumin and Joonmyeon, whom were talking at the side, payed attention to us as well.

“I can control it,” I said with a frown. “Touching me randomly won't make you heal just like that,” I continued, stretching my arms backwards and then bundling them on my lap. I caught Chanyeol’s eyes from the corner, listening to us speak, before he realized I stared at him, and he glanced away with a red color on his cheeks.

“Were you like that since you were born? Cause I sure as hell know warriors aren't born, but made,” Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow up, completely oblivious, and I realized Joonmyeon and the others never did explain anything to him, not like they know a lot of things anyway.

“Warriors?” I echoed dumbly, not quite understanding why he would say that. Kyungsoo blew out a sigh, as if I’m the stupidest person he has ever met.

“Normal humans and Wielders can't heal, period. So whether you are a warrior or something close, because healing is a supernatural ability.”

“Well, I know I wasn't born with it,” I said curtly, earning a small curl of the lips from Kyungsoo at the absolute irritation in my tone. It seemed that Baekhyun was quite attracted to the conversation as he came closer to us and sat beside Kyungsoo, after he had been leaning against the trunk of a tree several meters away. “It just happened.. when Kai and I were kidnapped.”

I knew Kyungsoo was curious on the story behind my words, as he shot Kai a look, but he and I both knew it wasn't that important. The past is the past, and nothing good would happen if we retold it besides anguish and pain.

“How did it happen? Did you just.. know you were able to heal? Just like that? Does that not sound so weird to you? I mean it doesn't matter if we were some sort of powerful cards and all that , but being our master doesn't give you any advantages," Kyungsoo stated intelligently, crossing his arms over his chest and leaning back against the tree trunk behind him.

“Maybe it doesn't, to the normal Wielders,” Kai murmured softly, eyes glazed over like he’s sleepy, but they don't simply fall sleep. They were his normal eyes when he was feeling lazy. “But Hani isn't exactly normal.”

“Tell me about it,” Sehun snorted, ruffling his hair and threading his fingers through the locks. The action made his hair seem even darker than before. “Who the hell buys bubble tea for her warriors and then buys them another one when they don't like the flavor. I wouldn't have done it even for a friend.”

“She's not you,” surprisingly, Baekhyun attacked, plucking a bunch of grass from under him and throwing them on Sehun. The younger didn't use his wind to send them back this time. “In this case, you’re the special case with all that arrogance hidden inside.”

“It's not even hidden, that would've been good. We all know Sehun is more arrogant than arrogance itself. No one would have bought you another flavor anyways, even your mother,” Kyungsoo scoffed, giving Sehun a look like he was lower than dirt, and the younger pouted and diluted like a pricked balloon.

“Hani did though,” he defended weakly, his eyes peeking at me with childlike shyness that I knew was theatrical, but still got me in the guts with how innocent he appeared.

“I would do it again,” I smiled reassuringly to him, and a devilish smirk graced his face that he coughed to hide when I gave him a pointed look.

“Tsk, tsk, tsk,” Baekhyun taunted, shaking his head at me, and I turned to jut my lips at him because I knew he had an insult waiting. “Naivety is not a good trait, little Hani.”

“Jerkiness is not a good trait too,” I snapped, sending him a glare. Although I knew I looked like a child throwing a tantrum. Baekhyun only rolled his eyes, and I knew he wanted out of the conversation by now.

“Chill out, kids,” Joonm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter