1/3

It Started With A Murder

“This is the fourth case already.”

The usually quiet narrow alleyways was now bustling with police activity. Despite it being early morning, there was already a huge crowd swarming over like ants to honey. Onlookers, confined behind the police tape, craned their necks, hoping to catch a glimpse of the crime scene. Lights strobed around the place as snapshots were taken while the body of a young lady was towed away in a black bag.

Soonyoung rubbed his chin, brows drawn together, deep in thought. Still dressed in casual clothing, he had rushed over here in the middle of grocery-shopping as soon as he received the call.

“Soonyoung-ssi.”

He turned around, train of thoughts broken, to see the in-charge of the serial killer case and the homicide unit, Choi Seungcheol.

“The forensics report hasn't come in yet but it's pretty obvious. Rigor mortis has already set in, from that we can roughly deduce she died three or four hours ago from several stab wounds. What can you say about the relationship between the latest victim and the previous three?”

“So far, all four victims have no relation with one another,” Soonyoung answered smoothly. “The only similarity is that they had blonde hair and the fact that they were all females who were stabbed, before having their faces slashes several times. That’s the only indication of being a serial killer case.”

“Show-off.” There was a whisper from behind.

He pointedly ignored it. He’d learn not to care about what others thought of him. People in the police department, even in his own unit, had not taken a liking to him since the very start. Given his young age, it was unsurprising that jealousy was evident in his peers and juniors. They naturally assumed he had become a full-fledged detective due to connections. Nobody were willing to admit he had a decent amount of talent, except for maybe Seungcheol.

Police officers continued investing the crime scene, and Soonyoung was left to think alone. Eyes trailing absentmindedly at his surroundings, it took a moment for him to realise he was staring straight into someone’s eyes. It was a high school student.

The boy’s standing far away, staring at him with an unreadable expression. Normally, Soonyoung would have just taken him as a curious passer-by, but his gut was telling him something else this time.

Putting on a friendly smile, Soonyoung approached him. The boy’s eyes narrowed as he came closer.

“Hey kid!”

The boy looked up at him. “…Hey?”

“What’s your name, kid?”

He continued to give him a weird look.

Soonyoung suddenly realised forgot to introduce himself. “Ah! I’m sorry,” he flashed out his police badge. “I’m a detective. There’s been an incident around here.”

Brows furrowed, the student questioned him sceptically. “You’re a police officer? How old are you even?”

“Older than you, so show some respect to your elders, you brat,” Soonyoung chuckled playfully.

“I’m Lee Chan,” the boy said after scrutinizing the badge and deeming it authentic.

“Alright, Chan, do you know this lady?” Soonyoung showed him a picture.

Chan froze, and shook his head stiffly.

Soonyoung frowned at the unusual behaviour. “Okay, then did you notice anything weird going on around here from about midnight to two or three in the morning?”

Again, Chan shook his head mutedly.

“Huh,” Soonyoung said, noticeably disappointed. “Well, thanks for your cooperation, kid. I’ll get going.”

Turning around, he began to walk back swiftly, pursing his lips in confusion. Strange, he’d thought the boy would have known something. Guess his gut instincts weren’t always right.

 

----------

 

The next murder happened only a few days later. Screams resounded as the body of another young lady was found in another similar alleyway, only a few hundred kilometres away, on the opposite end of the town, her face badly slashed.

Police arrived a few hours later, more stressed than ever. Soonyoung paced around anxiously, biting his lower lip in concentration. This was the fifth time. If they failed to catch the culprit soon, this could drag on forever, instilling panic in the residents. That was something they didn’t want. His investigation unit was getting irate too, from the looks of it. How had the culprit gotten away with blatant murder, without leaving any traces? It was practically an impossible task, especially when it was done by a lunatic who was only concerned with killing.

Fingers raking through his hair in frustration, he glanced away from the crime scene for a moment, just to meet a familiar pair of unreadable brown orbs. It was the same boy.

His interest piqued, Soonyoung made his way over once again.

“Chan-ah!” He called, waving his arm as he raced over.

“We meet again!” Soonyoung beamed warmly. Chan remained expressionless.

“The last time I saw you, you were at the opposite end of the town. What are you doing so far out? Don’t tell me you’re school’s all the way here?”

“No, I…uh…came to see how…see how investigations were going for the latest victim,” Chan stuttered, eyes darting everywhere but him.

Soonyoung paused, eyeing the younger. “The news of the latest victim wasn’t even released to the media yet… How would you know about this?”

“Oh ,” Chan cursed under his breath.

Soonyoung gasped and grasped onto Chan’s shoulders. “Did you witness what had happened here last night?”

The colour drained from Chan’s face. “N…no?”

“Chan, listen, any information could be crucial to us. If you’d seen anything, please tell me.”

“I…I mean…technically, I didn’t witness the murder.”

“Technically?”

“Yeah, I’m not a witness…but,” Chan looked away from Soonyoung’s penetrating stare.

“But?” Soonyoung prompted.

After a long pause, the younger screwed his eyes shut and let out a loud sigh. “Nothing. It’s stupid. I’m going. Bye,” Chan said before brushing off Soonyoung’s hands, his features returning to a stoic expression.

Soonyoung reached out and grabbed onto Chan’s arm almost immediately, unwilling to let go. He knew when people were hiding something. It was glaringly obvious Chan understood something important, but for some reason was reluctant to share.

“Have you eaten breakfast? There’s a McDonalds nearby, come, I’ll treat you to breakfast.” Chan didn’t even had time to voice his protest before Soonyoung was already pulling him down the street by the arm.

 

 

Soonyoung watched in amusement as the boy seated opposite him wolfed down his meal ravenously. One would think he hadn’t eating in days.

“Slow down kid, the food’s not going anywhere.”

Chan looked up, frowning cutely. “I’m not a kid,” He said petulantly.

Soonyoung grinned. There was a sudden urge to . “Are you sure? You’re like fifteen or something?”

“Hey!” Chan exclaimed, looking extremely appalled. “I’m eighteen!”

Soonyoung broke out in peals of laughter and couldn’t help but ruffle Chan’s raven black hair.

“Hey!” he whined. That only served to get Soonyoung to mess up his hair even further.

“But on a serious note,” Soonyoung said, all playful features gone from his face. “I know you know something.”

Chan’s gaze flickered to the ground.

“Tell me. The police won’t reveal your identity if you don’t want it. You won’t be in any danger. Do you trust me?”

“Yeah…but it’s not like you’ll even believe me…” he said, eyes still on the ground.

“Try me,” Soonyoung affirmed seriously.

Chan looked at him as if to say ‘you’ll regret this’ and they entered a mini eye-staring contest, with neither refusing to back down.

Finally Chan relented. “I get these…dreams…visions or something…”

“Dreams?”

“It’s like when I sleep, sometimes I dream of murders…” Chan looked at him hesitantly, as if unsure whether it sounded like nonsense to him. “And then the murders…happens a few days later…in real life…” Chan trailed off, fiddling his fingers in nervousness.

Soonyoung definitely wasn’t expecting this. He thought perhaps Chan was a witness who was afraid to share or something. Anything but that.

“So…” Soonyoung began, testing his words carefully.

“You don’t believe me.” It was a statement, not a question. Soonyoung could recognise the heavy resignation in Chan’s tone.

“I…it’s just surprising. You dream about the future?”

“No, just about murders. It takes place anywhere in the world. Only recently it happened in this town. That’s why I thought I could do something about it but I’m being stupid.”

“How long has this been going on for?”

“For as long as I can remember,” Chan’s voice grew softer and softer.

Soonyoung stopped talking to give his mind some time to think. They lapsed into heavy silence, the tension in the air so thick you could cut it with a butter knife. Technically speaking, it wasn’t possible. But why would the boy lie? And he did appear at two of the crime scenes. That had to mean something. For some strange reason, Soonyoung wanted to believe. No, he already believed him. Something about the boy struck him.

Soonyoung finally peered at Chan after a while, only to see him looking utterly miserable, like a kicked puppy. He felt bad.

“Chan-ah,” he patted his head gently. “This must be hard on you too. You should be playing in the playground with all your other kiddy friends and talking about nonsensical kiddy stuff at this age. Yet you have to suffer through haunting dreams of murders.”

Chan’s jaw dropped. “How old do you think I am?!”

Soonyoung chuckled, and pinched the other’s cheeks. “I believe you, okay? So don’t look so sad.”

He saw a faint pink dust over the shorter’s cheeks, but chose not to comment on it, and continued to smile cheekily.

“…I’m not sad.” Chan ripped off the hand on his cheek and promptly looked the other way. “So what’s up with the case anyway?”

Soonyoung fished out his notebook, going back to business mode. “Well, five young ladies were killed over two months by the same killer. They were stabbed to death and had their face slashed. The females all had blonde hair too, be it natural or dyed. We suspect it’s the killer exacting his revenge on an ex-girlfriend or something.”

Chan raised his eyebrow. “How?”

“It’s common, my young apprentice.” Chan rolled his eye at his lameness.

“Your girlfriend breaks up with you, so you get angry and want to kill her. In your mind, you’re killing the same person over and over again. Only they’re different people. Most likely his girlfriend had blonde hair too, so that’s how he chooses his victims. Because they remind him of her.”

The whole time, Chan looked on, eyes round with interest as he sipped his drink. Soonyoung was in the middle of gesticulating wildly, when he halted his moves, having a sudden epiphany. He grabbed his phone and shoved it close to Chan’s face.

Chan glared at him. “What?”

“Give me your number. Next time you dream again, call me immediately.”

“Uh…no I don’t want to. Why?”

“This could aid in our investigation! The police will catch the killer faster, less people will be killed, and maybe your dreams will stop too! Your fragile little marshmallow heart will be free of traumatic dreams! This helps both of us,” Soonyoung eagerly explained.

Chan rolled his eyes once again, openly groaning in protest as he punched in his number reluctantly. “Why do I have to give my number away to total creep?” he grumbled, not bothering to lower his voice. Soonyoung pretended he didn’t hear that part.

“What are you even going to tell the police chief and your co-workers anyways? They’re not going to believe you if you tell them the truth,” Chan muttered as he added the police officer to his contacts. His thumb froze over the screen.

“I don’t even know your name,” he mumbled, looking up sheepishly.

Soonyoung flashed a million watt smile. “It’s Kwon Soonyoung. And as for the first question, that is for me to figure out. You don’t have to worry your feeble little mind, my young child.”

“Knock it off!” Chan growled.

Soonyoung only chortled gleefully.

 

----------

 

Chan jerked awake, his shirt and hair soaked through with sweat, the blanket twisted and tangled round his legs from where he had been kicking. His body felt heavy like cement, his arms and legs were like weights, pinned to the bed and refusing to move. He couldn’t breathe, there was an invisible hand pressing down on his neck and chest, choking him. It’s like he’s underwater, trying to break free of the chains on his body, water all around. His mind was in a frenzy and he couldn’t form a single coherent thought.

It lasted for what seemed like eternity before it was over in just a second. He in a huge breath. His body relaxed as the sweet taste of oxygen filled his lungs. Blood. His eyes open in shock as images flashed through his mind. Blood, blood everywhere. Another lady. The killer. He recognised the place.

And…a clock? 2.56 am.

Chan hurriedly turned to his table stand and grabbed his phone. He blinked several times to get used to the bright light but he didn’t have time to relax as the numbers sank in. 2.13 am. Some irrational instinct in him told him it was today and not any other day.

He had to call Soonyoung. He sat up immediately and dialled his number while getting ready. He’s halfway through tugging up his jeans when Soonyoung picked up.

“I swear what would a man have to say at two in the morn—”

“I had another dream,” Chan interrupted.

“…What happened?” Chan heard rustling from the other end. Soonyoung must be getting up as well.

“It’s going to happen today, really soon. It’s at X Street. We have to hurry,” Chan urged.

“What do you mean ‘we’? I’m going alone.”

“No, I’m coming too,” Chan almost shouted. “I know where to go!”

“I can’t just endanger a citizen’s life too! Besides, I can find my way too, I’m doing this alone,” Soonyoung argued.

“Please, we don’t have time to fight over this. I have to go,” Chan plead, mustering his most sincere tone.

A sigh could be heard from the other end. “Alright, text me your address. I’ll pick you up.”

 

 

Soonyoung arrived outside his house, in a simple car. The sky was still pitch black outside. After their second meeting, Soonyoung had met up with Chan several times to discuss the case, seeing whether they could get any clues from his dreams that the police might have missed out. But this was the first time they were actually going to stop a murder from happening. It made Chan’s heart thud in fear and also slight anticipation.

“Few ground rules,” Soonyoung said as soon as the car began moving, eyes fixated on the road. “You stay at the side, out of harm’s way. Let me handle it and don’t try to be a hero and interfere. Next, if the Killer attacks us, you run immediately. Even if I stay back to fight, you run all the way home, got it?”

Chan nodded mutedly, knowing better than to protest, his fingers tapping on the seat agitatedly. This was the most serious Soonyoung had ever been.

Its 2.48 am by the time they reach.

“It’s in that alleyway over there,” Chan pointed hurriedly. “If we hurry we could mak—”

A shrill scream rang out in the silence of the night.

Chan and Soonyoung gazed at each other for a second, seeing their emotions reflected in each other’s eyes. Soonyoung placed a palm on his shoulder, bending down slightly to look at him in the eye. “Stay here.”

Soonyoung’s already dashing off in the direction of the scream before Chan had time to register the words. He hesitated for a moment, then decided to ignore his warning, sprinting after the police officer.

As he turned the corner, he skidded to a halt as a frightening realisation dawned upon him. Soonyoung was gone. There was movement up ahead, Chan detected from the corner of his eye. Reflexes kicked in and he hid behind a wall speedily, palm covering his mouth. Even the slightest breathing sound could give him away. His thudding heart refused to calm down.

He spotted two figures in front. It’s dark so they were only silhouettes but that was enough to decipher who they were. The Killer. One had a hand in the other’s long hair, grabbing it roughly. The other hand was gripping something sharp…something like a dagger.

He heard the cries of the woman, the cold laughter of the Killer, and really, where was Soonyoung at this time? He eyed the bright neon clock of a local shop behind them. 2.51 am. Was he just going to let her die in front of him? Like the first time?

Chan shut his eyes, bracing himself to run forward, when all of a sudden, a dark shape whipped past him. The Killer looked up, visibly shocked, knife still poised stationary in the air. Chan eye’s meet his for a split second. A cold shudder went down his spine as he gazed into the crazed, glinting eyes of the coldblooded murderer.

It was gone as soon as it came. The killer didn’t have time to react as Soonyoung was on him. Chan squinted his eyes, trying to make out what was happening. All he could see was the lady collapsed on the floor, and wild, big movements of dark shapes in front. Soonyoung seemed to be performing some sort of martial arts, because soon enough, the knife went clattering down to the ground.

The next minute, all the tables turned. The Killer threw a punch, Soonyoung’s suddenly on the ground, and the Killer’s running away. Chan started forward, but was too late. He was gone.

Soonyoung groaned as he sat up, clutching his stomach.

After making sure the coast was clear, Chan ran to his side at once. “Hyung, you okay?”

“M’fine,” he grunted.

They sidled over to the lady’s side, who was sobbing uncontrollably, unruly blonde hair sticking to the front of her face. “Are you alright? It’s okay, you’re good now. I’m a detective, we’ll help you.”

 

 

The ride home was silent, the only sounds coming from the occasional sniffles from the lady sitting at the back.

“What are you going to do now?” Chan spoke, breaking the silence. His legs were still trembling slightly and his palms were still breaking out in cold sweat.

“Well, I’ll have to tell Seungcheol, he’s my superior, about this. And see how things go on from there.”

Chan nodded silently, having lost things to say.

 

 

“Chan? Chan, wake up.”

Chan blearily opened his eyes to someone tapping his shoulder. Soonyoung’s face was next to his. Close. Too close. Doesn’t he know the thing called ‘personal space’? Chan thought, face hot as he moved back.

Soonyoung was smiling at him, eyes forming two crescents. “You fell asleep. We’ve reached your house.”

Chan turned to find the lady asleep at the backseat too. “Oh…thanks…” Chan mumbled sleepily.

“By the way, won’t your parents be mad you snuck out so late at night,” Soonyoung questioned casually.

“Oh…umm,” Chan scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. “I live alone?”

Soonyoung looked surprised but stopped asking afterwards. “Thanks for your help today! Good night!”

Chan nodded, still half asleep.

“Wait!” Soonyoung called just as Chan shut the car door. He rolled down the windows and leaned sideways, closer to the passenger seat so that he could see Chan’s face. “You saved her life today. You should be proud of yourself, okay? Alright, I’ll shut up now. Sleep well!”

(“I’m sorry for being so useless,” Chan had said a few days back, depressed when they couldn’t find any new information from his dreams. “I thought my dreams would help but in the end they’re just as useless as me.”

“Hey, now,” Soonyoung said, looking at him pitifully. “I’m sure they’re not that bad.”

“No!” Chan insisted. “I hate them. People die right in front of my eyes and yet I can’t do a single damn thing to stop it. You might as well stop wasting your time with me.”

Soonyoung had rubbed his hair like how he would do with a small animal. “I would have left a long time ago if this was a waste of time. Come on, smile a little. There’s no need to lose hope.”

Chan had cried himself to sleep that night. Not that Soonyoung had to know.)

Chan smiled shyly at his words and returned his wave. Soonyoung remained in the same spot all the way until Chan entered and the door closed shut. He watched as the lights switched off in his room before starting up the car.

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i kinda wrote this with the thought that they are both they're actual age in real life cuz i find it weird if they're older. but i don't think you can actually become a detective at such an early age so im sorry for distorting the truth haha