Bambi (Night Rain)

Dilemma
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I'm not sure if everyone caught that there was a double update last time. Not many people seemed to see ch 4. So I'll only do single updates for now so there is no confusion. ^^;

Baekhyun's Bambi album gives me life. I miss him :'( 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“I’ll back down, but only for a price.”

“Fine. Name it. I don’t care what it costs.”

“I want you to go on a date with me.”

 

Junmyeon tried his best to focus on his campaign work and organizing a speech. He really did. But it was nearly impossible with their conversation reeling around in his mind.

‘There’s gotta be another way around this without having to go on a stupid date with that….’

Thinking of the way Yixing’s dimple shown when he smiled at everyone else really bugged him.

‘That ugly creep.’

He shoved his face back in his book and scribbled notes on the paper furiously. If he wanted to beat his counterpart, he’d have to brainstorm some new tactics. What did he have that Yixing didn’t?

Maybe he didn’t contain the same influential charisma that the other boy did. Perhaps he wasn’t artistic or musical. Junmyeon was, however, someone the students could trust to make sure the school ran fairly and equally. He was a safer choice because Yixing was mainly an unknown character. He needed to play into people’s confidence and expose him for the fraud he was.

The brunette unlocked his phone and messaged Baekhyun to come to the library as soon as possible, and within ten minutes, he was there, huffing and puffing.

“What’s up, Junnie?”

“I need your help. I need you to get me evidence that Yixing is a fake.”

“How do I do that? He’s pretty much the most non-fake person I have ever met.” Baekhyun sat on the desk table next to Junmyeon’s books and papers. He idly looked through his stuff without asking, only for his friend’s hand to swat him away.

“Great. He’s got you too.”

“I don’t think he’s ‘got’ anyone. You’re being paranoid. Lay is just nice. And he’s cool with some of the popular kids. Since he moved here, everyone seems to want a piece of him. Face it, you met your match, and you can’t handle it.”

“Then I should just admit defeat.”

“Don’t do that. Maybe you can bribe Lay? That’s not legal, but at least it’s something if you are so concerned. Everyone has a price. Even you know this.”

Junmyeon sighed and rubbed his head in frustration. “I tried that already.”

“And?...” He got off the desk and pulled a chair up next to Junmyeon.

“Forget it. It’s not something that I’d ever do.”

“Sounds intriguing. What did he ask you to do?” Baekhyun drew in closer, propping his chin on the back of his hand. He was dying to know.

“…Togoonadate…” Junmyeon mumbled, looking down at the desk.

“To what?!”

Junmyeon covered his face with his hand in utter embarrassment, “He said he’d back down if I went on a date with him…”

Baekhyun sat in shock for a moment before having to catch himself from falling over with laughter, “Then you better do it if you want to win!”

“It’s not funny, Baek. He’s always pulling this kind of stuff on me. For all I know he’s probably going take me out in the middle of nowhere, murder me, and hid my corpse.”

“Pft. He’s not gonna do that. If he likes you, wouldn’t that be beneficial for you anyways? You can see for yourself how much of a fake person he really is or isn’t.”

“Are you’re really encouraging me to do this? You must be out of your mind too.”

“Come on. Think about it. You go on a date. What’s the worst that can happen? You both have a bad time, and he stops bugging you. Either way, isn’t it a win-win? You get presidency automatically.”

Junmyeon couldn’t think of an argument against it. It was a straight shot to winning, as planned from the beginning. Enduring one night with Yixing could be bearable if it meant winning, right?

“I guess the question now is… How much do you want to win?”

Junmyeon sighed and shook his head. He couldn’t believe his own actions when he finally caved in. He took out his phone and dialed up an unsaved number.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Sehun POV

 

‘Mom, Dad, I came on your anniversary. I’m sorry for taking so long. You’re doing well, right?’

I came here at least once a month to clean off their headstone on the memorial wall. Lately, it was hard finding time to take the couple-hour trip. Because of that, a lot of dust had gathered along the crevasses of the marble.

I used a handkerchief and wiped the engraved words and photographs, trying to make it perfectly clean. I let my palm linger on the stone when I finished, tracing their names with my thumb.

It had been three years since my parents disappeared, but there wasn’t a day that went by where I didn’t miss them. I allowed the memories to resonate in my mind. It was difficult to admit that the simple things I once took for granted were becoming harder and harder to remember. I tried my best to hold on to every recollection of them I possibly could: the structure of their cheeks when they smiled, the pitch of their voices when they greeted me in the morning, even their familiar scent I inhaled when we embraced.

The more I forgot, the guiltier I felt. And alongside that guilt, I felt uncontrollable anger towards the ones who took them away from me. The driving force that made me anticipate the day I got to avenge my family.

It didn’t startle me when an empathetic hand patted my shoulder. I kept my eyes fixated on the headstone as a bundle of roses was being placed neatly in the built-in vase next to the array of wildflowers I had brought.

“Thank you, Jiasuai. They’re beautiful.”

“I had to make sure to pay my respects too.” He offered a brief but firm hug. It was the comforting warmth of my best friend that I had missed over the years. Something I wasn’t used to but welcomed nonetheless. “It’s been a long time, Sehun.”

We both sat down on the cold, stone bench across from the wall. Heavy clouds had rolled in, and the chill in the air settled inside the building.

“Too long. It’s been hell not having you around.”

“I know.” There was a trace of remorse in his expression. We both knew that my bitterness at him being gone for so long was misplaced. Yet, he never once corrected it.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t come sooner. I know you needed someone, and I couldn’t be here.”

“It couldn’t be helped.” I tried my best to relieve his guilt about the situation. “I’m sure it wasn’t easy to lose your father too and be moved around a lot.”

We sat in comfortable silence for a moment before I took the silver key from my neck and handed it to him.

“What’s this?”

“I don’t know what it goes to yet. It was given to me specifically in private by my father’s coworker with a note that only read ‘Box 238’.”

“You think it’s something important?” He looked at me, brows furrowed.

I shrugged, “Who knows. If there is a chance that evidence is contained in this box, I need to find it.” regardless of what was told to everyone, our parents didn’t die in an accident. We both heard Sungjin admit to it. I let him put the key in his pocket. It was safer in his hands than mine anyway. This way, Sungjin or Miyoung wouldn’t get their soiled hands on it and use it for their own kind of evil.

“I’ll keep it safe. Aside from this, is there any tangible info you’ve found that could work in our favor?”

“I don’t have much to go on. They are smart. Neither leaves anything in their office at the house. I’ve listened in on their phone conversations. Nothing out of the ordinary except for the new business deal with Alex. Breaking into their building’s office will be the first step, but I can’t do that alone without being noticed by everyone.”

“We’ll find someone. In the meantime, your cousin is easy prey. He’s on the verge of giving in. It’s a good thing he doesn’t recognize me. Although I was slightly disappointed that he hadn’t.” He half-joked.

I rolled my eyes at that statement, “It’s a good thing Junmyeon’s liked you since we were children. The faster you have him falling for you, the easier it will be to get him out of our way when it comes time to take care of the Kims.”

“He’s cute when he’s riled up. Such a shame that I’ll have to destroy him and his family. I should at least have some fun while I can.”

The thought of him even faintly seeing Junmyeon as ‘cute’ made me want to puke, but I held back my feelings on that subject matter. “Sure, have fun, but don’t let him distract you from what we are trying to accomplish.”

“Every time I look at Junmyeon, I think of how that neurotic dimwit got to keep his horrible parents while we’ve had to suffer alone all these years. I’ll never get to see my dad again, and it’s hell. I was only lucky to have someone take me in. I want revenge as much as you do, Sehun. That won’t change. Trust me; I didn’t come all this way to get distracted by a cute face.”

I could tell by his expression that he was serious about this, so I let it slide. Maybe I was just paranoid. It’s what happens after living with people who I know can and would kill me before covering it up if I wasn’t careful.

I shook it off, “Good. Because I don’t think I could pull this off without your help.”

“Of course, I’m here for you. You’re my best friend. My brother.” I relaxed in my s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter