Three

The Regular Kim Seoyeon

My eyes darted around as I tried to decipher the meaning behind his words. And what was up with that smirk he gave me? Does he remember me from elementary school or not? Ugh, I wanted to pull out my hair in frustration.

Chanyeol must have noticed my distressed expression because he let out a small cough. "I was the one that asked you for directions out in the hall. You took my handkerchief?" 

Well, I guess that answered my question. He didn't seem to remember that we were best friends in elementary school. But it's no big deal. Whatever. 

I forced a smile, but judging from the surprised look on his face, I probably just looked constipated. "Yeah, sorry! I do remember now. The nosebleed must have affected my... brain." Wow, nice one Seoyeon. Didn't know you could be this dumb, but here you are! 

He nodded slowly. "Ah, okay. You just looked confused, so..."

"Boy, that's just my face."

"What?"

"Nothing, pay attention!" 

I whipped my head around, facing the whiteboard. I swear it was blank two minutes ago! Why was it completely filled up with nonsensical letters and numbers now? I squinted at the small writing. Maybe if I stared at it long enough, I would understand it. Good idea, Seoyeon. Just keep staring, mhm...  

My eyes locked with Mr. Hong's. Judging from his face, he had just asked a question. 

Someone raise their hand and say an answer, goddamnit! Hurry, before he calls on me! 

I took a huge swig out of my water bottle, hoping Mr. Hong would understand that my mouth was occupied, so I (unforunately) could not answer his dumb math question. It wasn't like I had zoned out during the whole lesson and had no idea what he was talking about. I would definitely answer it if all this water wasn't in my mouth. But what can you do? Life goes on.

"Kim Seoyeon? Do you know the answer?"

I froze, looking like a demented chipmunk with the liquid puffing out my cheeks. Aish, Seoyeon! Swallow it before more people start staring at you! 

With a huge gulp, I forced myself to swallow all the water. It felt good for about two seconds before I realized it went down the wrong pipe. Quivering in my seat, I tried to hold in the coughing fit that I felt building up in my chest.

"Yes, Mr. Hong! Would it be zero?" Seoyeon chirped.

Mr. Hong cleared his throat, looking disappointed that he couldn't embarass me. "Thank you, Seoyeon. However, I was actually talking to the other Seoyeon. We all know that you know the answer anyway."

Seoyeon blinked innocently, twirling a strand of her platinum blond hair around her perfectly manicured finger. "I'm sorry, sir. I'll be more careful next time."

The teacher grunted before turning back to the board and scribbling some more. Seoyeon took this chance to turn around to wink at me. I guess it was times like this that made it convenient that she had the same name as me, but I still couldn't bring myself to feel grateful. I grimaced back, mouthing, "Thanks.

She nodded cheerily and turned back around, but not before she snuck a peek at Chanyeol. I wasn't the only one who noticed. All the guys who were sitting behind her immediately shifted to glare at Chanyeol upon seeing Seoyeon's gaze linger on him. 

Uh-oh.

The stupid giant was too busy doodling in his notebook to notice. I held back a laugh at his drawing of two polar bears ice skating with hot chocolate in their hands. It looks like we were on the same level when it came to academics, which made me feel better. It would to sit next to a genius like Kim Seoyeon and see all the hundreds she got on her tests while you were barely scraping by with a B-. Not speaking from experience or anything.

That reminds me! I should probably be taking notes right now. Grabbing my black pen, I looked down at my paper only to find a giant pink "0" written on it.

I blinked in confusion. What? I don't remember writing anything down. I also don't even own a pink pen. That could only mean...

I whipped my head to the side, glancing at Chanyeol's paper. The polar bears now had scarves and hats.

Pink scarves and pink hats.

"... That will be all for today's class. Make sure you do the homework on page 314 of your textbook, as it will be a review for the test next week. I will be in the teacher's office if you have any questions, so feel free to come in and ask me in your free period."

"We will," all the students chimed in unison. With that came the ring of the bell, signaling the end of the period. The sound of chairs scraping on the floor as everyone got up to go to their friends' desks and happy chatters of math class being over filled the class.

I let out a groan, slumping in my seat. I had completely forgotten that we were going to have a test! 

Before I could contemplate my impending doom some more, the door of our classroom was crashed open.

"Yo, Seo!"

The sound of the familiar voice made me groan even louder. "What do you want, Baek?"

Let me introduce you to my annoying best friend, Byun Baekhyun. He's loud. He likes to play Overwatch. Uh...

That's about it.

Baekhyun skipped up to my desk, flicking me on the forehead.

"OW! Baek, what the hell!" I whined, rubbing the spot. This kid had some strong fingers, probably from all the gaming he does. Did that even make sense? "I need all those brain cells for my test. If I get another D, are you going to take responsibility?"

"Don't blame your failures on me," he tsked, leaning against the wall and crossing his arms. "And that flick was for not greeting me properly. I'm older than you by three months! You should be calling me oppa."

Before I could kill him, I felt another sharp flick on the back of my head. I spun around, glaring. "Yah!"

Jongin gave me one of his signature smirks before high fiving Baekhyun. "The deadly duo strikes again."

"More like the dimwit duo," I mutter, smacking both of their heads. "You're lucky that my nose is like this right now or else I would headbutt you all."

Chanyeol cleared his throat beside me and shuffled a bit in his seat. "Should I leave or...?"

"No!" I blurted, face flushing. I had completely forgot that he was there!

Jongin sauntered up to his desk, eyeing him up and down. "I heard there was a new kid in our senior class."

Chanyeol nodded and stuck his hand out with a grin. "That would be me. Nice to meet you, I'm Park Chanyeol."

Before Jongin could introduce himself, Baekhyun pushed him off to the side and took Chanyeol's outstretched hand, shaking it repeatedly. "I'm Baekyun and that one's Jongin. We're in the next classroom over, 4-2. Our classes often merge for extracurricular classes and field trips, so we should be seeing a lot of each other. By the way..." He leaned over the desk to whisper in Chanyeol's ear. "I'm so, so sorry that you're sitting next to Seo. Make sure to wake her up in classes so that her drool doesn't run all over your desk."

Chanyeol stifled his laughter before nodding in faux seriousness. "I will. Thanks for letting me know."

My face got even redder, if that was possible. "BYUN BAEKHYUN, you really do have a death wish today, don't you?"

"I'm just giving the poor guy a fair warning," Baekhyun chuckled, straightening back up. He grinned toothily at Chanyeol. "I have a feeling that we'll get along just fine. Right Jongin?" 

Jongin flashed him a smile. "Anyone that can rile Seoyeon up is always welcome into our duo. Or... I guess it's a trio now."

I huffed, blowing my hangs out of my face. "Now you're recruiting people to bully me? I'm going to report this to the principal and have you all suspended for school violence."

"Always the dramatic one," Baekhyun teased, patting me on the shoulder. "But now that it's a trio, don't we need a new name?"

Chanyeol pulled up the thesaurus on his phone, scrolling through the list of options. "Tantalizing trio? Terrific trio? Ooh, trendy trio?"

"Chanyeol! Don't get wrapped up with these two, they're bad news," I insisted, attempting to take his phone from him. He laughed, using his long- arm to block me. Stupid giant with his stupid lanky limbs.

"Sorry," he pouted, sticking his bottom lip out in exaggeration. "I'm just the poor new kid who needs friends. Gotta do whatever it takes to find 'em. You understand." 

I was just about to protest some more, but a small cough interrupted me. I looked up and locked eyes with the other Seoyeon. Jongin and Baekhyun followed my stare to her. They exchanged knowing glances before their eyes darted back to me.

Seoyeon grinned good naturedly. "Hey everyone! Hope I'm not disturbing you. I just wanted to talk to Chanyeol for a bit, if that's okay?"