Apocalypse

Word Challenge

a/n hello friends! long time no speak/update. as you all know from my occasional blogs ive been too busy with work to write but i did promise that i had some in back stock that i was waiting for a friend to beta read for me. She also became busy and couldn't get around to it. luckily, i have a week off work and it just took me 3 hours to proof read this bad boy of a oneshot. Like jesus it comes up at close to 50 pages. does this help you get over my inactivity? i haven't been writing so much, just on occasion. the ideas are still there but the time (and my laptop dying) have not been helpful. Sorry i'm keeping you too long.

 

This one is “apocalypse” and my girl Mery gave me this word...so less apocalypse and more strange fantasy. but i'm really proud of this one. I hope you enjoy




 

Kyuhyun walked into the corridor from the lift. Flashing the key card, he had borrowed from an unlucky guard, at the first door. It glowed red and he grimaced before moving down the corridor. A large window came up on his left and he eagerly peered into the room below; disappointed when it showed an empty room full of chairs and a large board facing them.

 

Hearing steps behind him he followed his original route, trying to act natural as he slowed his pace, allowing the person to pass him. Stopping at the next door to his right, he scanned the card, relieved when it showed green.

 

He slipped inside, grinning when he found four large computer monitors and systems. Finally after four weeks of searching he had found one of their data storage ports. He took the first chair and began his hacking.

 

Kyuhyun was what they called an outsider or rebel. Living outside the walls living off the land with his party. He did venture inside the walls in situations like his current. Searching continuously for information that could put an end to their invaders.

 

The Ferrumians had taken over their world before Kyuhyun’s birth. His parents had told him their survival stories before they passed away from disease. He knew what the alien scum were doing to his people.

 

When his parents were just children themselves, the aliens made themselves known. They had posed as humans for years, decades. Soon they began taking over, putting themselves in power until they controlled the world. Controlled them.

 

His mother and father were part of a worldwide resistance. Fighting against the creatures with pale eyes. Unfortunately they had found very little that could damage them. They rarely got close. Now he was fighting in the resistance himself.

 

He knew his job was dangerous should he be caught. The ferrumians had been taking people from his party all his life. Like his brother Kangin. They never returned. It was believed they didn't eat food and survived by energy from humans. They took them into the city and brainwashed them to stay until their bodies were needed. Luckily for Kyuhyun he rarely got caught and when he did he managed to run from brainwashed guards easily.

 

It didn't take him long to hack into a user panel and start his search. He began opening files under documents. Looking for any information. He rolled his eyes to see it all written in a foreign language. Closing the files he was surprised to see an english option. The same page appeared and Kyuhyun grinned. He scanned the pages for anything he could use, looking to his watch he only had two minutes before his lender of the card would sound the alarm.

 

With time running low and finding nothing he undid his hacks and headed for the door. He froze upon opening it. A man stood against the wall in front of him. Arms crossed and wearing a guard uniform. The eyes pale, almost white, blue. Too pale. He froze to ice.

 

“Get everything you were looking for, rebel?” The alien spoke. Kyuhyun thought of his options, looking down and up the corridor. Three people were at one end and two were at the other. Weighing up his odds he took a wide berth from the alien and ran towards the two. Reaching them he threw his elbow into the first, knocking him to the floor as he barged the other. Making it past them he ran to the nearest security exit.

 

Barging through the door he jumped down the first set of stairs before cutting over the rail to the next, his movements fluid after years of escaping. Frantic footsteps followed him, he smiled knowing their pace wouldn't match his own. He was halfway down and creating distance. His confidence dropped when he heard a loud landing of feet close behind him. Finally making it to the bottom of the metal stairs he sprinted for the busier main streets, hoping he could blend into the crowds. People moved out of his way, worried of the impact he would cause, he could still hear feet behind him. He made it to the last stretch, legs burning, but he could still hear the footfall behind him. His lungs burned in his chest as he forced himself to keep pace. No human could have matched him, the person behind him was definitely Ferrumian.

 

He saw his exit, the gap in the wall. All he had to do was climb the tree high enough to reach it. He jumped up at the branch but was quickly knocked to the ground.

 

Air left him as he landed and a cough erupted in his chest. He turned to see the alien. Face passive as his pale eyes watched Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun took his own assessment. He sneered realising the alien obviously cared for looks. Making himself more attractive than any human. His eyes were big and his lips were the kind women craved for. His dark hair fell over his forehead, looking like he walked to the edge of the city rather than ran.

 

“Trust your scum to make yourselves as pretty as possible. You going to try and persuade me to go with you?” He spoke with venom. The alien looked to him with confusion as the human guards caught them up.

 

One stepped up next to the alien.

 

“Jesus, he was a fast one.” He panted. The alien smirked.

 

“Not that fast.” He mumbled earning a sneer from his comrade.

 

“Yeah well we don't all have your bloody abilities.” The alien seemed to find this amusing and Kyuhyun could only watch their interaction with confusion and distaste. Soon the human’s attention was on him.

 

“Alright rebel. Have you had your shot?” Kyuhyun cringed. The shot was always explained to him as the first step of mind control. He nodded his head. Watching the human turn to the pale eyed alien. He tilted his head towards Kyuhyun and the alien followed the silent order. Kyuhyun quickly stood to move away but he wasn’t fast enough. A hand was gently placed on his arm and his knees gave way as pain shot over the area. The hand was quickly removed but a steady burning still resided. The human guard chuckled with a shake of his head.

 

“They lie about it then wonder why they get hurt. Pin him.” Three other men came from behind him and towards Kyuhyun. He tried to fight their hands to no avail. Soon the needle was in his skin and warmth ran through his body. Feeling the burning on his skin lessen as it did. He felt his wrists being restrained in his distraction and sighed in defeat. He watched the alien move towards him again, this time wrapping his whole hand around Kyuhyun’s arm rather than a slight brush. He waited for the burning pain, his body tensed but none came. He looked down to the hand in confusion. His eyes soon met those of the alien’s, his stare being held with a small warm but knowing smile.

 

“There we go you're all safe now.” The human spoke before ordering his party to take him back to headquarters. Kyuhyun fought with each step until the alien took over the two men leading him from behind. The creature was much stronger and gave Kyuhyun no leeway to struggle.

 

He was taken back to the building he had earlier infiltrated. No one spoke a word to him as he was lead up many floors, losing his bearings which worried him. He presumed he was being taken to the person in power. He waited to meet the fat cat that had taken over their world. Being ignored in any questions he asked, the guards and the alien only talking between themselves.

 

He didn't have to wait long, he was called in and watched the human guards leave. He was left in front of another Ferrumian as the other moved forward to greet him. The new one was tall, his features thin and although still considered attractive, he was more on a human level. Not like the first with a wide chest and thin waist.  He watched them both with confusion, not seeing the exchange between them but presuming it was a joining of hands, it was strange to him how so little words they used. Soon the fat cat moved towards him.

 

“So, you were rooting through our files. Find anything interesting?” The fat cat spoke to him. Kyuhyun only offered him a scowl in reply.

 

“Not sociable?” He once again stayed silent.

 

“Will you at least tell me your name?” Kyuhyun continued to scowl at him before he spoke.

 

“Kyuhyun.” He watched a beam appear on fat cat’s face and scowled in reply.

 

“Sungmin, you can remove his cuffs please. Kyuhyun, take a seat and excuse the mess I’m behind on paperwork.” Kyuhyun noticed for the first time the scatter of papers over the desk, the odd one on the floor though they seemed purposefully placed there. He looked once again to the model alien coming towards him. Making a mental note of his name as he felt his hands released. He looked over his shoulder at cold, pale eyes. Realising his chances of escaping were very little, he took a seat.

 

“I’m Leeteuk, do you know what position I hold in our system?” He questioned, Kyuhyun scoffed.

 

“No doubt the one with the most money and control.” He watched the fat cat laugh and heard another light one behind him. He resisted the urge to turn around and see the alien smile.

 

“Not quite, I’m more of a human resources type. I’m here for any concern or problems the humans have in the city. I believe Sungmin gets more wage than me as he puts his life in danger of rebels on a daily basis.” Kyuhyun shrugged his shoulders, not really caring.

 

“We’re not as bad as you are lead to believe you know.” Fat Cat looked injured.

 

“Is this where the brainwashing starts?” Kyuhyun sneered.

 

“You think we have the capability to do that? We’re not as advanced as you think.” Kyuhyun watched his features, realising his eyes were still pale but darker than the one named Sungmin. He didn't show any sign of lying but then he was an alien, he couldn’t be sure.

 

“We’re not here to brainwash you, we are not even going to arrest you. The information you accessed is public knowledge, I can give you a book of it if you are really that interested. He chuckled and Kyuhyun scowled, feeling like he was being made fun of.

 

“What we would like to offer is an opportunity to learn more about us. You are welcome to spend a few days here or however long you wish, learn the truth behind us and the city. If you wish to leave, you can at any point.” Kyuhyun looked to him with confusion, why was he being offered an opportunity. It was far beyond anything that he had learnt to expect. He wondered for the first time if everything he had been told from a child was true. The reason he went into hacking in the first place was because he was set on finding out the truth.

 

“I can leave when I want?” He double checked and Fat Cat nodded. Staying would give him greater opportunity to find secret files. Something he could take back to his party. He nodded, making his decision. The man across from him smiled brightly.

 

“Excellent, I think I’ll have Sungmin as your guide. He’ll be showing you around, teaching you what things are really like. All I ask is that you don't hurt anyone and try not to damage our system if you do insist of hacking us again.” Kyuhyun let out a disbelieving chuckle, did they not mind him rooting through their files?

 

“You’ll find that our whole basis is not keeping secrets.” Fat Cat added almost reading his thoughts.

 

“Sungmin are you comfortable with the arrangement?” Leeteuk asked the man behind him.

 

Kyuhyun wondered if he would have much chance getting information off the cold alien about their weaknesses. He decided he would have to be as friendly as possible, seem like he was really taking in the lessons and maybe he could find something to end their reign.

 

“You know I’m not.” Kyuhyun looked up to the ice cold stare. His plan could be harder than he thought.

 

“You’re the only one able to keep up with him, Min. If something did go wrong you would be able to handle it before it got out of hand.” Fat Cat seemed close with his new guide.

 

“I’m a guard.” Sungmin complained

 

“So guard him.” The alien laughed with the sigh the other gave.

 

---

 

They left the office soon after and Kyuhyun followed the alien.

 

“So what have you got against me?” He questioned the man who looked at him with indifference.

 

“It’s you who was brought up to hate us remember? I have nothing against you.” He finally spoke to Kyuhyun directly.

 

“Then why are you so unhappy about this arrangement?” He questioned further.

 

“I'm a guard, not a babysitter.” He replied. Kyuhyun looked to him with shock and insult.

 

“I’m an adult.” He defended himself noticing a small smile from the alien. “I’ll complain to Fat Cat back there if you keep bullying me.” A light laugh met his ears which made him smile.

 

“Fat Cat?”

 

“You don't know what fat cat is?” Kyuhyun questioned back.

 

“I do, I just never imagined to hear it in reference to Leeteuk.” Kyuhyun watched the amusement twinkle in pale eyes. Surprised the aliens acted more human than he expected.

 

He followed the Ferrumian to the bottom floor and into the courtyard. There were quite a few people about, some sat on beaches, some talking to friends and others were laying flowers at the position that caught his attention.

 

A large section of wall about four times his size held a mural. He was lead to it and looked over it. Half of it was grass and trees, holding a human with his hand outstretched. The other half was dark purples and blues on seemingly barren lands, a silver figure took the same stance as the human. Their hands interlinking. Two banners painted in at the top and bottom. One in Ferrumian and the other english.

 

We join in harmony and will be rewarded with love.

 

The artwork was breathtaking. He noticed the floor filled with plaques. Names etched on each one as a memoriam. Some human and some Ferrumian.

 

“This is a mural that was built in our first year. We wanted somewhere to signify our want of harmony and happiness. It depicts the first meeting. A man from earth and a woman from our planet.” Sungmin explained, his features seemed at peace. Relaxed and happy.

 

“Alright but what's that silver thing?” Kyuhyun questioned.

 

“That's our natural form. You didn't know?” The alien seemed surprised. He lifted his hand and Kyuhyun watched it move to silver, looking like liquid held in a mould. Shimmering as it moved.

 

He took a step back, an alarmed noise leaving him. Sungmin laughed brightly at his reaction. Kyuhyun moved past his shock, moving to take a closer look, watching it swirl as Sungmin moved.

 

“That's unbelievable.” He moved slowly to touch it but was stopped by the hand turning back to a human one. After the amazement left him he continued his questions.

 

“So why did you come here if you have your own planet?” He questioned after a moment.

 

“We no longer have a planet. It died.” A sadness passed over the man's features and Kyuhyun felt his heart ache. He had heard earth was at threat many years ago, he couldn't image being forced to leave it.

 

“How?”

 

“She stopped turning, her energy ran out. Most died and few made it to earth. We started building our numbers back up. The man our ancestors met with showed us the way. A human man helped us, for that we will always be thankful. We all owe our lives to your kind.” Kyuhyun listened with interest. The easy way Sungmin spoke showed him nothing but truth.

 

“Why earth?” He asked next.

 

“Earth was the only planet that has an atmosphere we could survive in.” Kyuhyun nodded with understanding.

 

“Why did you take over?” He tried not to make his question sound like an accusation.

 

“Take over?” Pale eyes assessed him and Kyuhyun realised they no longer made him feel cold.

 

“You replaced the government's, overthrew our system.” Sungmin smiled with sympathy as he looked back to the mural.

 

“This is something many people dislike. I have heard it before. It makes humans angry but we did only good.” Sungmin sighed.

 

“We watched your governments take your money and use it to hurt and damage, they filled their own pockets and never helped those in need. People were starving and your elderly were forgotten. Only those with money in their blood rose to success. Our world was never this way, we couldn't watch it any longer. We never wanted to take over but knew we could help build the world as it is now. People are happy and a meld with anyone of high power will show you we’re not being deceitful. Even now, with rebels that don't want our help. We try our best to please you. Keep out of your way but make sure you have necessities.” Sungmin finished and Kyuhyun knitted his eyebrows in thought.

 

He had never considered it before but many times while he was hunting, him and his party would come across boxes or crates. Dropped by patrol vehicles or helicopters. They loved finding them. Filled with food, medicine and other important gear, it felt like they hit the jackpot. Especially as it came from those they were fighting against. He never considered they could be left there purposely. His mind went back to when his brother was sick. Kangin was his friend but the older male had taken great care of him after his parents died. He was out looking for herbs in hopes he could find something to help his sick friend. He was beginning to lose hope when he noticed a large silver box near the wall. It held almost too much to carry back. But it held everything he needed to treat his brother.

 

His mind jumped back and he turned to Sungmin.

 

“Do you leave medicine outside the walls?” Sungmin smiled at him.

 

“We hear of disease or infections but we know you can’t and won't accept our help. We make drops around the villages and near the walls on a regular basis. Even if you don't wish to join us your lives are valuable. We hate to see people suffer.” Kyuhyun couldn't help but laugh at the ridiculousness of it all. His party dedicated their lives to bringing the Ferrumian down yet the Ferrumians were keeping them alive. He reconsidered his thoughts on the race. His brother had told him many times that although his parents died they found medicine for him just in time. He should be thankful toward them for being alive but still, a lifetime of learning can not be pushed aside by a simple revelation.

 

“Is it true you live off energy? You the life out of humans?” Kyuhyun came out and asked the main accusation his kind held against the Ferrumian. He watched Sungmin’s eyes widen in amused shock.

 

“ the life out of you?” He chuckled and shook his head, “Not quite. Yes we live off energy but so do humans. We are all given energy from our planet, from our mothers. That energy is enough for our lifetime. Though it does work a little differently. Our systems are not like yours, we don't need to eat to sustain energy like humans but that energy is already inside us. I guess you could call us self-sufficient. Humans get their energy from food and water but they certainly don't hold enough at one time for it ever to be of use to us. What a strange idea that is.” He chuckled again. Saying it out loud almost made Kyuhyun feel silly. The idea did sound very much like a children's horror story.

 

“So what exactly are you?” He questioned. Looking back up to the mural.

 

“Well we took the name Ferrumian from the first encounter.” He pointed towards the mural. “It’s latin for iron.”

 

“So you’re made of iron?” Kyuhyun looked over him and Sungmin shook his head.

 

“I believe they based it off our colour. Later you discovered the element that the majority of our bodies are made up of. Mercury.” He explained and Kyuhyun’s eyebrows rose.

 

“That's why you burnt me.” He said looking to his arm. Sungmin nodded.

 

“The shot you had will prevent that happening again. Gives you an immunity.” Kyuhyun finally understood the injection he was given. It wasn’t for mind control after all. His mind drifted back to the silver figure. Yet Sungmin was in a human form. He knew they could change their image and posed as humans but wondered if it was possible for anything else.

 

“Can you turn into other stuff?” Sungmin nodded in amusement.

 

“Almost anything.” He confirmed.

 

“A rat?” Kyuhyun said excitedly. Choosing the first thing to come to mind.

 

“Yes though I don't have any desire to.” Kyuhyun almost sulked wishing he could see it happen.

 

“So why do you...wear...human?” The light laugh from the alien made him smile again. It was infectious.

 

“We appear as human to communicate. To speak. Ferrumians speak telepathically so it's much easier as a human to speak to everyone.” He answered.

 

“On that,” Kyuhyun pointed to the mural, “you have a human style body.”

 

“It's changed for the sake of the point.” Sungmin explained.

 

“So that isn't your real natural form?” He watched Sungmin shake his head.

 

“So what is? Do you have tentacles?” Another bright laugh left the alien. He had definitely structured his smile to perfection. It was beautiful.

 

“No we have nothing.” He explained. Kyuhyun thought back to the silver hand holding liquid.

 

“Wait… Are you just liquid?” Sungmin nodded with a small smile. Kyuhyun’s eyes widened with realization. The whole thing seeming bizarre to him.

 

“Woah...I’m talking to a glorified puddle.” A hit landed on his arm playfully.

 

“Who’s doing the bullying now?” Sungmin chuckled and Kyuhyun grinned back. Not missing the light skip in his chest that he forced down immediately. This alien and his kind were his enemy and although he should be friendly to find out as much information as he could, he couldn’t let himself get attached and form friendships. He would be leaving very soon so he hoped he wouldn't have much chance to be brainwashed by Sungmin’s chosen facade.

 

“Now you know our history and a bit more about us, I should probably ask if anyone you know went missing. Many people from outside the walls choose to stay after learning the truth.” Kyuhyun could sense the caution in Sungmin’s voice. As though the subject could be sensitive.

 

His mind drifted to his brother and friend. Kangin had gone missing quite a few years ago. Before Kyuhyun was granted permission to work in the resistance. He was merely in training when his friend went missing. He remembered the evening vividly. Encouraging his brother to work hard and do well. He usually worked as assistance or security. He knew how to fight and fight well so he was great back up to any hacker. When the older party member returned, face solemn, Kyuhyun knew he had lost his friend. His only family.

 

He was held back from entering the city himself. He had remembered the screaming and crying for them to save his brother only to be told it was too late. He would already be brainwashed if not dead. He had broken his heart over his friend's disappearance for months.

 

Only when he showed signs of recovering from grief would his party allow him to join the resistance. Since then he had only worked on getting the information he needed. He believed his friend to be dead. Especially after the years passed, his hope vanished and left him with memories.

 

As he thought about Sungmin’s words he wondered if there was a possibility of Kangin being alive. Instantly feeling an old wound open. Surely his brother would not live a new life without him, or at least without letting Kyuhyun know he was safe. He felt a wave of confusion and mixed feelings. He almost hoped his brother was dead, it would save him the betrayal of abandoning him.

 

A hand landed on his shoulder, gentle and soothing. He looked to pale eyes, not understanding how they seemed almost warm.

 

“I can’t image the array of emotions you may be feeling at the moment. If you have lost someone in the city, I may be able to help you find them or find out what happened to them. It will not be easy after many years. I understand if you choose not to continue on this step.” Sungmin’s voice was quiet and soothing and his eyes seemed to assess Kyuhyun, who sat up with a deep breath, looking back to the mural as the hand left his shoulder.

 

His curiosity would eventually get the better of him. He had already decided he would rather know now than it be sprung on him at a later date or sit wondering for the rest of his life. He nodded his head, agreeing with his own decision as he turned towards Sungmin.

 

“I lost my brother. He wasn’t my biological brother but after my parents died, he raised me. It was maybe five or six years ago when he left for the city to assist a hacker. He didn’t come back and I presumed he was dead by now. I thought he would…” He looked into sympathetic blue eyes. Trying to move past the anxious lump in his throat, “I thought he would at least tell me he was ok.”

 

“Sometimes we can’t let people outside know. It would create more hatred for the people outside the wall and back up the brainwashing notion. Would you truly believe, if he was alive in the city and chose a different life, that he did it from choice and not because he was forced?” Sungmin carefully asked him and Kyuhyun knitted his eyebrows.

 

“Of course.” He defended and watched an eyebrow raise in speculation. He frowned back realising Sungmin was right. He would have reacted very differently. He would have been furious.

 

“Still doesn’t make it right.” He mumbled, hearing a chuckle next to him.

 

“No but, things are never just black and white. Do you have a name for your brother? Some way to identify him. If he’s in the forces I may already know him. If not we can go talk to Leeteuk who may be able to search the system for him.” Sungmin watched him expectantly and Kyuhyun let out a sigh.

 

“His name was Youngwoon. But everyone called him Kangin. He was tall, built like a house and rather loud when he wanted to be.” Kyuhyun chuckled, remembering his brother as he gazed at one of the plaques on the floor, hoping one of them didn't hold his brother’s name. He looked up to his guide to see his face solemn and almost paler than usual. It dawned on him why.

 

“You know him don’t you.” Kyuhyun sighed, feeling weight land on his shoulders.

 

“I think I do. Yes. He’s a good friend. I was…” He watched Sungmin’s neck move with a deep swallow, “I was the one who captured him. He was handed to a close friend of mine for his guide.”

 

“He’s alive?” Kyuhyun chose to ignore that Sungmin was the one to capture him, after all Kyuhyun was in the same position and his guide was only doing his job. He couldn’t harbor too many bad feelings.

 

“I believe so, if it’s the same person.” Kyuhyun thought about his options. He could ask to be taken to Kangin. To see his brother after many years of believing him dead or he could ignore the information. Kangin, after all, had left him. Let Kyuhyun grieve him for months and miss him for years. A part of Kyuhyun believed Kangin didn’t deserve to see him now, his brother might not even care about seeing him after all the years he was gone.

 

“Would you like to go see him?” Sungmin’s voice was quieter than ever.

 

“I’m not so sure it’s a good idea. I feel...betrayed.” Kyuhyun tried to voice his concern, uncaring of his vulnerability in front of a Ferrumian.

 

“Maybe it is best to get it over and done with? We can do it now, while you have time to prepare and face him in a private place rather than running into him at some point during your stay.” Kyuhyun found himself nodding in agreement. Standing when Sungmin did and walking slowly away from the mural and onto the streets. Paying little attention to his surroundings as his thoughts ran wild.

 

---

 

They stood outside an apartment door and Kyuhyun had been silent the entirety of their walk. His heart was in his throat as he thought of the possibility of his friend being behind that door. Sungmin had texted Kangin to let him know he was coming around but didn’t mention anything to do with Kyuhyun being with him.

 

“Are you ready?” Sungmin asked him. Kyuhyun looked to him with mild annoyance. Sungmin gave him a small smile of amusement before knocking on the door.

 

“Well just thought I’d ask no need to be sassy.” Kyuhyun shook his head as a shout came from inside that Kyuhyun barely heard. He followed close behind Sungmin, carefully closing the door behind him as he heard a familiar voice shout. He couldn’t help but freeze, eyes locking with Sungmin’s calm blue.

 

“Min, I’m in the kitchen.” Sungmin sent him a warm smile and held his hand up to Kyuhyun instructing him to stay. Kyuhyun did as Sungmin moved past the wall in view of Kangin.

 

“Kangin I’m here on business. I caught a rebel today and Leeteuk assigned me as his guide.” Sungmin tried to explain.

 

“A guide? But you’re a guard.” Kangin questioned, the more he heard the voice the more emotions ran through him.

 

“Yeah, he didn't really have a good reason for it but I don’t mind.” Sungmin quickly answered. He let his eyes flick to Kyuhyun.

 

“Kangin it’s someone who knows you.” There was silence as his friend stopped his movements. He recognised that sympathetic worried look, the same Sungmin had given him earlier. There was a moment of silence before Sungmin broke it again.

 

“It isn’t going to be easy for both of you. Can he come in?” Sungmin asked. Kangin must have nodded as Sungmin turned to smile at him and nodded his head. Signalling Kyuhyun to move forward. His heart was frantic as he took slow steps. Eyes fixed on the corner he would look round to see his lost brother.

 

His eyes met dark watering brown eyes. He watched with pain as a hand covered Kangin’s mouth and he stifled a sob. Kyuhyun felt his own eyes strain against tears, fighting them back. He was desperate to move towards his brother but stayed, unsure if he would hug or punch his old friend. His hands shook by his sides as he watched Kangin stare at him with disbelief.

 

He watched his friend take a step towards him and panicked.

 

“Don’t.” He held out his hand making Kangin pause. Shaking his head as his held back tears slowly fell.

 

“Kyu. Kyuhyun. You’re here.” Kangin stammered between words.

 

“You’re alive.” Kyuhyun noted. His torn emotions showed in his voice. Relief mixed with anger.

 

“I couldn’t tell you. You wouldn’t have believed me.” Kangin spoke desperately. The surprise slowly wearing off as he realised Kyuhyun’s feelings.

 

“But i wouldn’t have believed you were dead.” Kyuhyun scolded him. Kangin chuckled with a smile.

 

“Come on Kyuhyun, have some faith in me, of course i wasn’t…”

 

“I grieved for you!” Kyuhyun cut him off with a scream. His tears fell freely and the room was filled with the sound of his choked sob. He took a step back, covering his own mouth and trying to wipe away the tears that still furiously fell. He turned his face away, not wishing for his brother or Sungmin to see him cry. He felt a soft down the center of his back and a strong hand on his arm. He looked up to see Sungmin and the urge to pull away left him.

 

A barely audible whisper met his ears. Soothing him as he shook.

 

“It’s alright. Give yourself some time, there's no rush. It’s not easy for both of you.” He rubbed at Kyuhyuns back, making the sobs lessen and his breathing slowly return to normal.

 

“Maybe it would help if we sat down and Kangin could tell you exactly what happened. If you know your friend like i know him, you will know he wouldn’t intentionally hurt you.” Sungmin spoke sense and Kyuhyun nodded in agreement. He did know Kangin was always there for him, had always been honest and straightforward but never had the intent of hurting anyone he cared for. He let himself be lead to a sofa and sat down. Sungmin sitting next to him. He was passed tissues to clean his face up and soon Kangin joined them. Placing cups of coffee in front of them. It didn’t surprise Kyuhyun that Kangin knew how he liked the drink. On the odd occasion they had it outside the wall he always piled it with sugar and milk while Kangin looked on with disgust, preferring his own black.

 

“I’m sorry.” Kangin started and Kyuhyun’s eyes automatically met his before quickly looking back to the mug in his hand.

 

“I’m sorry i couldn’t contact you. Everything we were taught was a lie and i wouldn’t have believed it myself if i wasn’t here. I knew you wouldn’t believe me and i knew the only way to tell you was to see you and then you would do everything in your power to stop me coming back.” Kyuhyun listened intently. Feeling the warmth of Sungmin’s hand on his back still.

 

“Sungmin was the one who caught me. I was the last one leaving through the wall and he caught my ankle. I was handed to his friend Sunny to be my guide. They said i could leave when i want but i figured if i could find out as much as possible about them, it would help us beat them. I realised pretty fast that things were a lot different than we were taught. I wanted to stay here and finding out Sunny was my soul mate only solidified that. I was worried if i came back to you, you would keep me from here and i couldn’t do that.” Kangin seemed to finish his explanation. Kyuhyun thought through the information but his feelings didn’t change much.

 

“So you let me believe you were dead because you found a girlfriend?” Kyuhyun asked, not hiding his distaste.

 

“My soul mate Kyuhyun,” He directed his question to Sungmin, “Has be learnt of it yet?”

 

“No. It’s late, i will show him tomorrow.” Sungmin explained. Seeing Kangin’s exasperation Sungmin cut in.

 

“Soul mates isn’t just a story or fantasy here. When you find your soulmate, problems can arise if you are separated. Especially near the start. If Kagin was kept from Sunny he would become very unwell.” He explained briefly to Kyuhyun.

 

“So what you’ve just been living your life away with this girl not giving a thought to the people you left behind?” Kyuhyun questioned next.

 

“Of course i thought of you. Mostly you. The others i weren’t so close with. I worried for you everyday i wished i could find you someday. Hoped you would be caught and see it’s better than we thought here. You have missed a lot in my life and every time something major happened, i wished you could be there.” Kangin seemed to be trying desperately to make him understand and Kyuhyun slowly felt the anger melting away. A mixture of the calming drink, Sungmin’s hand and exposure he presumed.

 

“What big events?” Kyuhyun asked and Kangin grinned but a nervousness still reached his eyes. Kyuhyun peaked at Sungmin and saw a small smile. Noticing for the first time the aliens eyes seemed a little red a puffy. It seemed he found the emotions in the room overbearing too.

 

“I have children.” Kyuhyun fumbled with his nearly dropped mug as he looked with disbelief to a chuckling Kangin. He looked to Sungmin who held a warm smile.

 

“You have a child?” He asked. His emotions once again mixed.

 

“I have two. A three year old boy and a 6 month old that we’re not sure about yet.” Kangin answered and Kyuhyun couldn’t help his grin then confusion took him again.

 

“You’re not sure about?” He heard Sungmin chuckle next to him, feeling the hand leave his back as the alien took his own mug finally.

 

“The boy, Daniel, is human. The second child is Ferrumian. We don’t have a gender in our original form but when we take on other forms we have one or the other usually. So until the child can take on another form, they won’t know.” Sungmin tried to explain simply.

 

“You can have one of each?” He asked and Sungmin nodded.

 

“It’s a 50/50 chance. Neither of the genes are recessive so it’s all down to chance.” Kyuhyun nodded.

 

“Information overload today.” He mumbled.

 

“What have you learnt so far?” Kangin asked, a spark of excitement in his eyes.

 

“Well apparently you can have children with aliens, those children can be either human or Ferrumian, they don’t the life out of people and he’s a glorified puddle.” He spoke tipping his thumb towards Sungmin which earnt him a quick smack around the head. He laughed along with his loud brother, feeling much lighter than he did earlier. Although the pain still resided and the betrayal still hurt, he couldn’t be unhappy that his brother had found happiness in his absence.

 

“So uncle what did you think of the melding thing? Strange feeling right?” Kangin continued. Kyuhyun looked to him with confusion. Liking the realisation, however, that he was now an uncle with a nephew and whatever the other would turn out to be.

 

“Melding?” Sungmin cleared his throat and shook his head as he swallowed his coffee.

 

“You haven’t shown him yet?” Kangin asked with disbelief.

 

“No, It's a very personal thing and it’s my choice if i choose to meld with someone or not.” Sungmin spoke defensively and Kyuhyun could only look on with confusion. Kangin seemed to assess the alien before pointing at him with raised eyebrows.

 

“Whatever you are hiding will be found out soon.” Kyuhyun watched Sungmin roll his eyes.

 

“Explanation?” He prompted and Kangin turned to him.

 

“Ok so. Ferrumians are, as you said, a glorified puddle,” Kyuhyun grinned at the scowl Sungmin gave them, “In their natural form they communicate telepathically, they can still do this with each other by just joining together. They usually do it with a handshake. That's melding. But they can do it with us too, but humans can’t let their thoughts free. So you can know everything about Sungmin by melding but he wouldn’t know a thing about you. That's unless you're his soul mate but that's a whole different subject.” Kangin explain.

 

“When you meld you know absolutely everything about a person which is why it’s personal. I could meld with a ferrumian and tell you how they felt at that moment, what they wanted or needed.” Sungmin explained further.

 

“Sunny once said she can see as far back as to see someone practicing kissing on their hand.” Kangin chuckled and Kyuhyun snickered in response.

 

“That’s why they don't lie. If they did it would be found out instantly so none of them see the use in it.” Kangin finished his explanation, leaving Kyuhyun in thought. It was strange to think with one touch all your thoughts and memories would be known by another person. He would find the whole thing entirely embarrassing. It made him think back to every moment in his life he would rather other people not know about. Once again Sungmin’s voice broke him out of his daze.

 

“Stop looking at me like that.” His command was directed towards Kangin.

 

“It’s not like you to be so private.” Kangin scanned the alien.

 

“It’s not like you to be so nosey.” Sungmin jibed back.

 

“What are you hiding?” Kangin held his hand out towards Sungmin waiting for the other to accept. Sungmin just snorted at his hand and carried on sipping his coffee while Kangin stewed.

 

---

 

Things were much calmer as they left Kangin’s home. Kyuhyun’s no longer felt bitter about his brother's disappearance and settled more into the enjoyment of having him back. He followed Sungmin out of a building.

 

“So how do you feel?” Sungmin asked him as they set off along the busy street.

 

“Fine, actually. It’s strange for me to so easily forgive someone.” Kyuhyun voiced and Sungmin nodded his head with a small smile.

 

“Well he is your brother after all. I believe in human relationships it's normal for you to annoy each other, hurt each other and beat each other, only to make friends like nothing happened the next day.” Kyuhyun chuckled at his reply. That was certainly true.

 

“Is it not like that with Ferrumian children?” He questioned and Sungmin shook his head.

 

“Not really, i don’t have a brother but from observation, we can’t hit each other, we can't tell others our secrets and we're very aware of the pain we cause and it feels uncomfortable to do so.” Sungmin shrugged his shoulders.

 

“That sounds really boring.” He mumbled, hearing the light laughter in front of him.

 

“Life has been much more enjoyable to us with humans, such bizarre customs.”

 

---

 

As they reached Kyuhyun’s room, their talk had lessened. He was being given a room in the accommodation where the guards stay, although they had an option to live outside, it was free accommodation and many took advantage of it, including Sungmin. He was taken to the room assigned to him from his guide who quickly showed him about the room. He sat down on the bed as he listened to the controlled and easy voice.

 

“We haven’t been anywhere to eat so you must be hungry, i apologise i forget sometimes, there is a menu in that top drawer where you can order food from the canteen, they will bring it to you.” Kyuhyun nodded, opening the drawer and taking out the booklet and scanning through it.

 

“We said you could leave at any point,” the seriousness in Sungmin’s voice caught his attention, “That is true, just get up and leave if you wish to but i would hope that you stay, there is still a lot i would like to show you. If you do stay i have arranged to meet Kangin and his family for breakfast.” Kyuhyun nodded with a small smile.

 

“Yeah i’ll stay a little longer.” He didn’t miss the pleased smile Sungmin half hid from him. It gave him the same flutter he had felt a couple of times that day. It was a pleasant feeling but once again he had to remind himself why he was there.

 

“Goodnight then…” the words that followed were unknown to Kyuhyun. A different language that he presumed was ferrumian. He looked to Sungmin with interest.

 

“It means ‘may your dreams be filled with harmony’” Sungmin smiled before heading to the door.

 

“As humans we just tell each other not to be eaten by bugs, but yours works better, i like it.” Sungmin chuckled as he left the room, leaving Kyuhyun in silence. He looked through the menu but his mind was drifting off to many moments of his day. His views had been totally switched and confused.

 

He agreed to stay with the idea of finding a way to kill every ferrumian on earth and now he knew they weren't as bad as he was brought up to believe. It had him wondering where he stood. He did not want to be a betrayer of his people, he didn’t want to be like Kangin, even if all he had left there were some personal belongings that don’t really matter to him. He could go back when he wanted, what he worried for was going back to find his passion in the resistance had vanished. If the things he had believed about them all along were non existent fairy tales, how could he dedicate his life to bringing them to an end.

 

His thoughts drifted back to Sungmin. At first he was strong and cold. His pale eyes making Kyuhyun freeze up. Slowly he showed a different side. One that was caring, considerate and selfless. He wondered if he could really kill him. Kill a race so much more honest than his own.

 

But then even Sungmin had something to hide, Kangin had known that. He wondered what he would find if he melded with Sungmin. Wondered if there was something Sungmin was trying to keep from him. It made his curiosity grow.

 

Deciding against food he laid down on the soft bed, too tired to worry about his hunger. Closing his eyes he realised his best choice at the moment was to learn more. Do what he did best and see where it left him after tomorrow. For now his brain was fried and his mind wouldn’t function correctly so it was not the time to be making moves.

 

---

 

Sungmin had arrived at his door early in the morning, the rude awakening was softened by the coffee handed to him and the warm smile greeting him. He forced himself out of starring in his sleepiness. He was soon dressed and throwing away his coffee in the busy street leading to the cafe they were meeting Kangin. They took their seats and scanned through the menu as a faint shadow covered him.

 

Kangin was grinning, an excited gleam in his eye as a woman stood beside him. He ushered her forward, to the seat across from Kyuhyun, with a hand on her back. Kyuhyun assessed her, her face was sweet and cute, fresh faced with very little makeup and slight bags which would come with having two small children. She smiled sweetly back at him as Kangin took his seat beside her.

 

“Kyuhyun, my fiance Sunny. Sunny this is my brother.” Kyuhyun grinned as a small boy appeared, a toy dinosaur in his hand talking to Kangin in a whisper.

 

“This is Daniel. Daniel, this is your uncle Kyuhyun.” Kangin prompted the child.

 

“Hello, i have a dinosaur.” The kid grinned one that matched Kangin’s which only made Kyuhyun’s smile bigger.

 

“Wow that’s so cool.” He grinned looking at the child's dinosaur. This seemed to please his nephew to no end who was then instructed to go play at the children's area.

 

“It’s nice to finally meet you Kyuhyun, i have heard so much about you over the years. It seems my friend is very good at bringing our family together.” Sunny spoke sweetly sending a fond glance Sungmin’s way. Kyuhyun couldn't help but do the same.

 

“It’s nice to meet you too, though i do wonder what you see in my brother.” She giggled in reply and Kangin flicked his head in response. Mumbling a mild insult.

 

“Where is the other child?” Kyuhyun asked realising there was someone missing. Kangin grinned in response to his question as Sunny smiled at her fiancé and brought her hands from her lap, up into Kyuhyun’s view.

 

Kyuhyun’s eyes widened as they landed on the shimmering mound. Her hands shimmered the same way Sungmin’s did but the volume of liquid was much more. He could see a slight colour difference. The majority of the liquid had a pale blue tint to it. He presumed it was the child as the other was the silver he had seen before.

 

“That’s a baby?” He questioned, eyes wide with curiosity. The liquid moved and out stretched momentarily before shrinking back into itself. Sunny nodded looking down with mothering warmth.

 

“Kangin said you haven’t experienced melding yet, why don’t you try it?” She encouraged. Kyuhyun was suddenly not so curious about the process. He worried he would somehow hurt his niece or nephew.

 

“It’s alright, go ahead.” Kangin joined. Kyuhyun looked to his guide who only nodded with his own encouragement. Slowly he reached his hand out towards the liquid. His movements slow and careful. Before he reached it, it moved towards him quickly, he jumped in shock but didn't pull back as his mind drifted off as though daydreaming. He felt warmth and comfort but something different came in like playfulness. It made him grin without control. Soon it changed to love. He could almost feel it pull between Kangin and Sunny and warmth spread over him. Soon the liquid pulled away from him and he moved back in his seat, smile still decorating his face.

 

“That’s amazing.” He grinned at the people surrounding him. Kangin nodded with his own chuckle.

 

“What did you feel?” Kangin’s excitement seemed to match his own.

 

“It was comfortable and like cosy. Then i felt giddy and like making jokes and laughing. I think it’ll be a playful child when it grows.” Sunny nodded with mild worry.

 

“That is what concerns me.” She giggled, “I already know i'll have my hands full.” Kyuhyun grinned in her direction. He was still amazed at the whole process.

 

---

 

The breakfast had been one of Kyuhyun’s most pleasant experiences. The food itself was much more interesting than what he was used to but the company was what made his morning. He spoke plenty to his new sister, she was patient and calm in answering his millions of questions about the children, Sungmin occasionally popped in to elaborate before jumping back into conversation with Kangin. They had been sat with coffee’s for a while as they talked in a group.

 

“...I swear i was halfway through the gap and this guy grabs my ankle and drags me back in. I had scratches all over myself and he just threw me on the floor.” Kangin pointed to Sungmin who smirked in response.

 

“You know the exit with the tree?” Kyuhyun recounted his own story as his brother nodded, “I ran from the big main building all the way there. Jumped up to get on the branch and then it was like i was hit by a train. He full on body slammed me to the floor.” Kangin laughed heartily.

 

“I couldn’t breath. Running all that way at top speed and then having the wind knocked out of you and this guy is stood there like he’s been taking a leisurely walk in the park.” He finished and Kangin patted Sungmin’s arm almost in congratulations.

 

“Min is one of the fastest i know, shame about his strength, it is pretty normal for a Ferrumian, that’s where he’s lacking. Though that doesn’t stop new recruits pining over him.” Sunny giggled and Kyuhyun watched Sungmin roll his eyes.

 

“Pining over him?” Kyuhyun questioned and Kangin nodded. Sunny cut in to explain.

 

“Just a couple of weeks ago a new recruit followed me, Sungmin and the children to a play park. Out of the blue he pops out begging Sungmin to meld with him because he believed they could be soul mates.” Kangin snickered.

 

“I have never seen such heartbreak. He didn’t even let the kid down gently.” Sunny showed her sympathy still and Kyuhyun looked to Sungmin with amusement.

 

“What? He was being unprofessional.” His guide defended.

 

“It happens all the time though. You leave a trail of broken hearts behind you.” Sunny scolded him and Sungmin rolled his eyes again.

 

“If you don’t like it why don’t you change the way you look. Everyone will be chasing you with a face like that.” Kyuhyun offered and Sungmin looked to him with confusion.

 

“What do you mean change the way he looks?” Kangin questioned.

 

“Like give himself a different face or something. His face now is really attractive. He’s got big eyes and clear flawless skin, don’t get me started on the lips. If he changed it all, he wouldn’t be as attractive and get less attention.” Kyuhyun solved and Sunny giggled.

 

Kangin looked between him and Sungmin, making Kyuhyun look Sungmin’s way too who sipped at his drink avoiding everyone’s eyes. Kyuhyun looked back to his brother with confusion, the reaction leaving him mildly confused on what he said.

 

“Do you want me to…” Kangin addressed Sungmin who only nodded in reply.

 

“Alright, Kyuhyun, Ferrumians can change their shape to almost anything but they only have one variation of everything. It’s hard to explain but, the way Sunny and Sungmin look, is the only human form the can look like, like humans, they are individual. If Sunny transforms into a dog, it's got a black coat, she can’t later be a golden furred dog. Does that make sense?” Kangin looked to him sympathetically.

 

Kyuhyun thought about the explanation. So they could change into anything but only one of each thing.

 

“It worked the same way as humans, the way we look is down to the genetics given from our parents.” Sunny elaborated, still finding the situation amusing.

 

Kyuhyun’s eyes widened as realization hit him.

 

“Wait so you don’t purposefully make yourself look like that?” He directed his question to Sungmin who lightly shook his head, seeming to avoid eye contact with Kyuhyun. Kangin slapped his arm a little too hard.

 

“Kyuhyun, lay off him,” Kyuhyun rubbed his arm as his brother laughed, “You’re making him uncomfortable.”

 

“How?” Kyuhyun defended.

 

“They’re not as familiar with our customs when it comes to attraction.” Kangin gave a brief idea, his wife must have seen Kyuhyun’s continued confusion as she spoke more.

 

“When Kangin first expressed his attraction to me i was very embarrassed. I knew attraction for humans could lead to other intimate activities and it honestly scared me. Although, as humans, we have the same fascination with certain members of your species, it’s still quite strange to us.” Sunny explained sympathetically. Kyuhyun quickly held his hands in surrender.

 

“Woah, I’m not saying i want to have with him. I can appreciate someone winning the genetic lottery without being interested.” Kangin choked a laugh as Sunny covered with a giggle. Kyuhyun turned his attention to Sungmin who had covered his face in embarrassment.

 

“I just thought he was vain and enjoyed the attention or something.” Kyuhyun added earning a scowl from Sungmin.

 

“Alright leave it before he murders you.” Kangin quieted him with another chuckle. Kyuhyun listened and took a drink of his coffee, admiring the quiet embarrassed side of Sungmin and finding it almost cute.

 

He patted Sungmin’s back in a form of apology.

 

“Congratulations by the way.” He was elbowed roughly in the ribs and held his side with a laugh.

 

Kyuhyun had to admit he was teasing Sungmin to hide his own embarrassment. He had inadvertently admitted to finding his guide attractive. He presumed it went without saying as it was the look Sungmin was portraying. It almost pleased him that Sungmin was not vain or shallow, but simply just attractive the way he is. With the exception that he was in human form. If he had been told the cold demeanor he met the day before would be blushing and sulking next to him a day later, he would have bet on it being a lie.

 

---

 

Kyuhyun walked by Sungmin’s side on their way back to the main building. He had already been told today he would learn about the testing they do in the large labs he had once seen in the headquarters building. He used to believe it was for preparing humans for their death but now he knew everything he had learnt, wasn’t as true as he once thought.

 

Sungmin began to talk. Explaining as much as he could on the way.

 

“On our planet, soul mates existed. Maybe not as you believed them on earth but it was closest translation you had. Melding was something that happened between even strangers, one day you would be meeting a friend of a friend and suddenly you just knew. That person was your soulmate. It was the person you would mate with and spend your life with.” Sungmin explained and Kyuhyun listened intently.

 

“When my ancestors left our planet, things changed a little. Ferrumians began feeling that bond with humans. Claiming they could reach the human's thoughts and soon enough it was common knowledge. Now first off, there is more than one soulmate for each of us, it’s just a matter of which one we find first. Once you find them, any other soul mate you have wouldn’t register because you already have the one you need.” Kyuhyun nodded showing he understood.

 

“Between ferrumians you both just know. That feeling is apparently overwhelming and very obvious. Between two humans, that feeling may never be known, it’s just a game of chance. Things become a little more complicated between species. When we meld with humans, the human can experience everything we have but we can not share your experiences. Like a one way link. The only time this is an exception is when we meld with a human soul mate. Only then can we see into you, as you see into us.” Kyuhyun nodded his head, finding the subject quite interesting.

 

“So what happens when one of you leaves? Kangin said he couldn’t leave his wife.” He questioned and Sungmin nodded.

 

“At first the bond is very close, someone once referred it to the humans ‘honeymoon period’. It is a time you must spend together, learning everything of your mate. Eventually this wears off and you can bare time away from them easier. It can be quite dangerous. Between Ferrumians we just feel crippling sadness. We lose our will to function normally but between human and ferrumian it can be very stressful and dangerous. The ferrumian will feel the same depression but for humans it becomes physically painful.”

 

“Why?” Kyuhyun asked with knitted eyebrows. His eyes meeting Sungmin’s pale blue. He noticed the alien didn’t seem to enjoy their conversation as much as he was. His lips were tight and his brow furrowed.

 

“I don’t mean to be insulting but your species is weaker than my own. In one day you will feel unwell, in the second you are bedridden and on your third you die, as an estimate anyway. Some may last up to a week.” He watched Sungmin’s face turn darker with each word. He knew his guide would force himself through his discomfort and Kyuhyun should leave him to his own thoughts but his curiosity always won over him.

 

“This subject bothers you.” He stated more than questioned.

 

“It does yes, but i will answer any questions you have.” Sungmin admitted with a deep sigh.

 

“Did you lose a soul mate?” Kyuhyun questioned again not giving much thought.

 

“No. I have never met a soul mate.”

 

“Do you want to?” Kyuhyun pushed again.

 

“Never.”

 

“Why?” He knew he shouldn’t have pushed further, especially with moving into personal terrain.

 

“That is none of your business. We are close to the labs now.” His tone was hard and cold and Kyuhyun pressed his lips firmly, forcing himself to be quiet as he followed Sungmin into the lift. When he followed Sungmin out he waited for the other to speak. The coldness was slowly fading from the alien as he swiped his card in a nearby double doorway.

 

“The labs are used for testing, as you know. Some of it on humans and sometimes on ferrumians. Each scientist works towards their own goal though it has to be accepted by a council first. Most of their work goes onto the soulmate subject however. Trying to avoid human deaths and manipulate the effects without affecting the good bits i guess.” Sungmin explained.

 

The corridor they walked down was long and straight. Windows into each lab showed Kyuhyun many different sized rooms, some empty and other currently doing testing or other preparations.

 

“Would it not be easier to just avoid melding with humans?” Kyuhyun questioned, stopping to look into a particular window as a ferrumian girl and a human girl melded. Wide smiled brightening on their faces. Kyuhyun couldn’t help but smile himself, briefly wondering if they had discovered they were soul mates.

 

“We are naturally drawn to our soul mates. We have the urge to be around them, to learn all we can of them and to have them learn about us too. Both our kinds dream of finding love that lasts forever, people would take the risk even if it ended with their death.” Sungmin explained watching the interaction beside Kyuhyun.

 

“It’s better to have loved and lost, than to never to have loved at all.” Kyuhyun mumbled, smiling as a lab coat wearing man inside the room noticed them.

 

“For some, yes.” Sungmin replied as he moved to the door. Opening it to peer his head inside.

 

“Hey Min.” The lab coat wearing man beamed.

 

“You’re in a good mood.” Sungmin greeted and Kyuhyun watched as the man nodded furiously.

 

“These two ladies had a feeling they could be soul mates, they decided to let us take some readings as they melded. The findings are so excited.” The man's voice became more high pitched and Kyuhyun couldn’t help but smile at the couple whose hands were still connected along with their eyes.

 

“That’s excellent, good job.” Sungmin smiled before moving back out of the room and to Kyuhyun.

 

“Do you not believe in this then?” Kyuhyun gestured to the two girls and questioned without thinking too much.

 

“I believe it, i’m aware it is real but i find it,” Sungmin paused, an uncomfortable feeling came from him, “Dangerous, i guess. I am happy to meld with ferrumian as i can’t harm them but i will only meld with a human if their soulmate has already appeared.” Kyuhyun thought on his explanation and wished he could ask more, his curiosity usually got the better of him but he was well aware that Sungmin would only speak so far on the matter. He forced his questions down for a later time as he moved on down the corridor.

 

“Is there anything else about us you need to know?” Sungmin asked as they moved further down the corridor. Kyuhyun thought on it for a moment.

 

“I have seen a lot in this building, what about outside of it?” Kyuhyun asked with a smile.

 

“What do you mean?” Sungmin’s eyebrows furrowed as they exited the door on the opposite end of the corridor.

 

“Well this building and it’s surroundings may be the only place where things are good and people are happy. Since you won’t meld with me, i feel like you are hiding something. I want to see what it’s like in the smaller areas of the city.” Sungmin smiled playfully at the small jibe directed at him.

 

“The smaller areas. I can take you there. This area of the city is all business the smaller areas you are referring to is where we actually go to have fun.” Sungmin explained and Kyuhyun felt a tinge of excitement.

 

“What do you guys even do for fun?” He questioned as they made their way down in the lift.

 

“We took a ton of human customs but some we made even better. I’ll show you.” The playful smile and look in Sungmin’s eye once again made Kyuhyun aware of his guids attractiveness. More than anything he was looking forward to doing something fun with the man. The stray thought reminded him once again that the ferrumians were supposed to be his enemy but he had already decided to make some form of decision after today and until then he would keep his mind open.

 

There seemed to be a new spring in Sungmin’s step, for now and he was eager to see what caused it.

 

---

 

“Have you ever played video games before?” Sungmin asked as he walked Kyuhyun through an arcade. Different machines holding different spaces, some vintage and others state of the art.

 

“I’ve played a few console and PC games around the city before. Hiding out in people's apartments.” He grinned cheekily to Sungmin’s scowl.

 

“Well this is entirely different. When we first began making ourselves known to the human world, this was something that had only made it to testing stages. Things slowed down as things became worse but as soon as it settled, people were back working on it. Have you heard of virtual reality?” Sungmin questioned as they moved through the games into a back area holding a large desk with double doors on their side.

 

“I think so. Where the screen goes across your eyes and you can see your hand movements with controllers? I’m sure i've seen it advertised somewhere.” Kyuhyun answered as he watched Sungmin hand over a card to a bored looking man behind the desk. His card was handed back to him.

 

“Well it must have been an old advertisement. This is the most up to date virtual reality. You move as you usually would, without controllers, the area around you in interactive. If you pick something up off the floor in the game, you are picking something up in real. It creates a totally immersive experience.” Sungmin’s excitement had grown with his own explanation. They walked through the double doors and Kyuhyun lost track of where he was going after a couple of turns though he could see they were following green arrows. As they reached a door Sungmin explained further.

 

“In this one, we have to work as a team to find a bomb in this building. Finding information on the way on how to disable it. It changes all the time so it will be new to me too.” He walked through the door and Kyuhyun followed. The room was a bright green on every inch. Green equipment was hung on four separate hooks, showing four different sets. He allowed Sungmin to wrap a belt around his waist which held a metal and plastic handgun replica. He was then given another to put around his chest which held new rounds for the gun. He took a mask from the same hook, waiting for Sungmin to catch up to him with his own holsters. When done he approached Kyuhyun again. Taking the light mask from his hand and adjusting it to his head. Kyuhyun could see through the mask until Sungmin pressed something on the side and the room turned from a vivid green to a murky brown.

 

“Take a look around.” Sungmin patted his shoulder and Kyuhyun complied. Taking in the dirty walls. He presumed they were a dark cream before whatever scenario they were playing. Either way dust and dirt lined every surface. He turned slowly, taking in different images when his eyes landed on where he remembered the door being. A dark board was now above it with white writing. He read the words that were in english, out loud.

 

“Somewhere in this building is a bomb that will take out you and the city surrounding. You must find it and disable it. Intel on its location and how it is disabled was lost but believed to be somewhere in your surroundings. You have twenty minutes from walking through this door to complete your mission.” He chuckled after reading it.

 

“It looks real and feels real but no one leaves information on how to disable a bomb, in the same area as the bomb you don’t want disabling.”

 

“Have a bit of imagination.” Sungmin chuckled next to him. He looked to the man to see a character in his place.

 

“Woah, you’re a person!” He grinned and Sungmin’s character nodded with a laugh.

 

“Can we interact with each other?” Kyuhyun wondered as he held his hand up, “High five.”

 

Sungmin’s characters hand met his as it did in real life and Kyuhyun practically squealed.

 

“This is amazing. Can we go?” He stepped to the door watching for Sungmin’s answer. The character gestured forward.

 

“Go ahead. I’m right behind you.”

 

---

 

Kyuhyun and Sungmin had decided to split up to search for intel, this lead to Kyuhyun finding the bomb location pretty easily by accident. The only problem with the game being so realistic was not being able to communicate to Sungmin that he knew where it was. The other had managed to find three pieces of information. One telling them where the bomb was the other two were just sections of an instruction manual. It took a while longer for them both to find other missing pieces, the final being in a room holding four men, all being held prisoner. They released the men and watched them run towards the exit frantically.

 

The whole experience was extremely vivid and Kyuhyun found no flaws in the system. Even the men’s arms pulled apart when he released their hands enough. It was bizarre to him yet entirely amazing and he found he enjoyed every moment of it.

 

When it came to disabling the bomb they had to cut a piece out of the back. No simple wires or codes. They had to figure it out from the manual on how to reset it. Kyuhyun was pretty fast in figuring it out and sparkling letters appeared before his eyes stating his mission was complete. The headset moved back to normal vision and it was strange to see everything he had done normally in such a strange green setting. All looking very blank and confusing.

 

“Alright that was awesome.” Kyuhyun spoke excitedly as he took his gear off.

 

“We can do another if you want. There is a list of stuff you can do on a board near where we came in.” Sungmin’s smile was relaxed and easy and Kyuhyun nodded. They made their way back to the first corridor after the desk. He had noticed the board before but didn’t take time to read it.

 

It held a multitude of games. A couple for children or families, some similar to the one he did with Sungmin, but one in particular took his attention. It was a horror style game and Kyuhyun loved nothing much than an adrenaline rush. He pointed to it and watched Sungmin’s nervousness grown. Kyuhyun instantly caught on.

 

“You don’t like horror games?”

 

“I will admit this fully. I am a huge wimp and never dared to do that game alone.” Kyuhyun laughed.

 

“You’re a guard, you take people down on a daily basis.”

 

“You see this,” Sungmin pointed to the word Zombie on the board, “This is not people. This is not human or ferrumian and people don’t try to eat me!” Sungmin almost whined in his defense and Kyuhyun couldn’t help but find it adorable.

 

“Well i’ll be with you so you won’t be doing it alone, so we’re doing it, what room is it? 12 and we follow the...purple arrow, let’s go.” Kyuhyun set off hearing a whimper behind him as Sungmin followed only making him smile more.

 

---

 

They walked through the double doors into a flickering room. Looking around Kyuhyun could see wall smeared with an almost black, red. He felt a bump on his shoulder and turned to see Sungmin’s character stepping closer to him as he stared into the corner. There was the remains of someone or something. Kyuhyun chuckled at the cheesiness of it but it seemed Sungmin didn’t appreciate it.

 

“Come on, it’ll be fine.” He encouraged the alien who followed him to the door. Kyuhyun opened it, peeking his head out to make sure the wide corridor was clear. We quietly ushered Sungmin with him as he stepped out. Walking a little ways down the corridor.

 

He looked back to see Sungmin close by, he had promised the ferrumian he wouldn’t wander away. The corridor was long with most of the lights working, other than splashes of blood there wasn’t much happening. He saw a door coming up and took out his handgun in preparation. As he reached the door he pointed to it, letting Sungmin know he was going to open it. The exciting build up was wasted as the door wouldn’t open. He continued on a short ways, making note of the wheelchair they passed, until he reach another door. This one also being locked.

 

He looked to Sungmin who held his arms up in a shrug and shrugged back himself. They continued their walk. Nothing but blood stains and occasional objects around them, he was about to speak when a hand quickly landed on his arm. He turned to Sungmin’s character who held a finger to his lips. Kyuhyun sealed them shut. He listen as Sungmin pointed to the next door. A grunting noise reached his ears. He slowly walked closer, taking care to make no sounds. A snorting and squelch came next and he felt his heart beat race as he noticed the door was ajar. Sungmin was right behind him, he peaked around the corner, gun held firmly in his hand.

 

Luckily the zombie had his back to them, knelt over the person he was eating, someone dead long ago. He waved Sungmin over his shoulder to peak. He watched Sungmin move with steady steps until he was stood at the opposite side of the corridor but at an angle he could see through to the thing inside. He could imagine the alien cringing at the sight. He instructed with a finger to his mouth for Sungmin to stay quiet. Pointing to his gun to say he was going to shoot. Sungmin nodded and upped his own gun, just incase.

 

He took aim and slowly stepped around the corner, trying to steady himself to ensure he hit it’s head. A screech behind him made him jump out of his skin and he spun as he heard a thud and bang. A loud groaning shout came from a zombie contained behind the adjacent door. It’s face pressed against the glass. His eyes moved to Sungmin who had landed on his . He chuckled as he turned back to his task at hand, realising he had totally forgotten about the other zombie.

 

His movement’s were just in time as he saw a figure run at him. He quickly ducked and gripped legs before pushing them. Making the zombie fly over him and onto his back on the floor. Another feminine screech sounded as it make scrambled movement’s towards Sungmin. Kyuhyun shot the Zombie and it’s movement’s stopped. He let himself breathe for a moment before smiling.

 

“That was a very nice couple of screams you did there, I’m looking forward to telling Kangin about them.” He joked.

 

“I said i hate this stuff!” Sungmin defended.

 

“Come on, let’s see what else we can find.” Kyuhyun held out his hand and pulled Sungmin up once he had hold. He set off down the corridor, quite liking the grip he felt on his shirt as Sungmin trailed behind.

 

---

 

They took their time moving through the rooms and corridors, halfway through they had found a helicopter schedule and realised that is where they must have to go to survive. They followed one of the many wall maps and had found their way to the final corridor. Walking around the corner they both froze. Three zombies all fought over one person. All snarling as they ate what they could. He pulled Sungmin back around the corner with him, realising they needed to make some kind of plan.

 

It soon became very obvious they would have to fight. There was no way to distract them or lead them away in such a small area. This lead Kyuhyun to step around the corner and shoot at one of the zombies. Feeling a wave of ego over him as it dropped to the floor. He aimed at the closest running for him and missed, aiming again he took another shot and he skidded to a stop only a meter away. He aimed again at the next for his gun to click pointlessly at him. He looked up to see the creature way closer than he wanted it.

 

Before he could move to react it dropped to the floor with a loud bang that sounded beside him. He looked to Sungmin’s character, admittedly finding the whole thing quite attractive. There was something about having your saved that appeals to everyone he decided. The image was however crushed when another squeal left the man and a full round went into a barely alive zombie gripping Sungmin’s ankle that was truly dead on the first shot.

 

“Well that was a waste of ammo.” Kyuhyun chuckled.

 

“Shut up, I panicked.” Sungmin grumbled as he walked ahead to the door for the helipad. It was the first time he had gone ahead and Kyuhyun could tell he was eager for the experience to be over. As the door opened their vision became clear and their surroundings returned to green. Kyuhyun instantly looked to the zombies that were attacking them. Finding body shaped pillows had fallen to the ground. He had wondered when he first touched one, what exactly they had used to make the experience seem real.

 

He removed his helmet and his eyes met Sungmin’s. The latter seemed relieved yet almost grumpy.

 

“See it wasn’t that bad.” Kyuhyun grinned and Sungmin scowled. Walking past him on his way back to the starting room.

 

“I knew there was a reason i never did this one.” He grumbled and Kyuhyun laughed. He jogged to catch up to his guide, letting his arm fall over his shoulders.

 

“Come on, i did most of the work. You got to sit back and…” Another scowl cut him off, “...Scream.” He laughed and let his arm fall from Sungmin’s shoulder as he was elbowed but was happy to see a playfulness back in the alien's eyes.

 

---

 

Kyuhyun had watched the smile build on Sungmin’s features all afternoon. The more the alien smiled the more attractive he became to Kyuhyun. He had gone past questioning his mild interest and just accepted it. It went past the way Sungmin looked, although his smile was perfection, it was the way the ferrumian carried himself, the way he treated everyone he came into contact with, the way he sulked and the way he teased Kyuhyun.

 

After the VR games they played, they moved to a small cafe. Kyuhyun eating a sandwich and coffee as he watched Sungmin devour 6 different puddings. This was where he was taught that no matter what Sungmin ate, he could not put on weight. That along with the fact that Sungmin really liked pudding and even got so distracted he got it on his chin.

 

That was the moment Kyuhyun realised denying his interest was pointless, as he swiped at it with his thumb. Letting it linger far too long as he turned to useless goo, staring at inviting lips. He had shaken himself out of the daze but could tell by the lack of eye contact that Sungmin had noticed it.

 

Luckily he had managed to work past the awkwardness as they made their way back to headquarters. Moments in the building and is guide’s name was called. They both turned to see fat cat walking to them with a bright, peaceful smile.

 

“How is Kyuhyun’s visit going?” He held out his hand. Kyuhyun watched Sungmin hesitate but from what he could gather, although the pair were friends, Leeteuk was still Sungmin’s superior and he had to obey orders. The meld was interesting to see and Kyuhyun watched Leeteuk look to him, look to Sungmin, stare into space and then back to the pair of them again.

 

“I see you have been taught a lot and actually had some fun today.” Leeteuk smiled brightly at him. Kyuhyun found he no longer hated the man.

 

“It has certainly been an eventful stay.” Kyuhyun nodded.

 

“Well take your time making your choices, Kyuhyun.” Kyuhyun nodded again, pleased he would not be asked to make a decision too soon. He looked to Sungmin at the same time Leeteuk did.

 

“Min.” His tone was a little more serious but his eyes were sympathetic. Sungmin shook his head.

 

“You should meld with him, let him see the truth.” Sungmin vigorously shook his head. His eyes stern and defiant. It caused a sign to leave Leeteuk and he mumbled words in ferrumian before wandering off. Sungmin did the same, his mood dropped since their light banter just moments before.

 

“What was that all about.” Kyuhyun chuckled, watching Sungmin for reaction but gaining none.

 

“Are you going to talk to me?” He joked again as they waited for the lift. It opened and he followed his guide inside.

 

“Kangin told me your parents died, how did they die?” Sungmin’s question caught him off guard. It was rushed and he felt almost a sense of panic in it but answered anyway.

 

“They died of disease. I nearly did too but we found medicine in time.” Kyuhyun’s eyebrows knitted.

 

“Why?” he questioned himself, hoping to get an idea from Sungmin’s strange behavior.

 

“When did you lose your ity?” Kyuhyun’s eyes widened in surprise.

 

“When i was 17 to a girl i had been in a relationship with for a year.” He answered, about to question why he was being interrogated. He watched worry pass over Sungmin’s face.

 

“You have a girlfriend outside the walls?” Kyuhyun shook his head.

 

“She moved to the next village and i didn’t see her since. Sungmin what’s with the questions?”

 

“How about...how many times you pleasure yourself a week?” Kyuhyun rolled his eyes wondering if Sungmin would ever get to the point of whatever he was trying to do.

 

“If you must know…”

 

“No, no.” Sungmin held up his hands with a sign, “No i don’t need to know.”

 

“Sungmin what on earth is going on?” Kyuhyun felt himself getting touchy with Sungmin’s behavior.

 

“When we meld with someone, they get to know everything personal about you, whether you like it or not. Humans are judgemental creatures.” Sungmin’s explanation didn’t shine much light and Kyuhyun had to piece bits together for a moment.

 

“If you are worried i would judge you for anything i found out, if we did the snazzy handshake thing, then you’re wrong. As a human i am well aware of my own imperfections.” Kyuhyun replied, watching Sungmin sigh again, wondering how he could fix the change in mood.

 

“Why did you even answer those questions?” Sungmin chuckled to himself a moment later.

 

“I’m kind of an open book. I don’t mind people knowing things about me, even if i don’t know the person all that well.” Kyuhyun shrugged his shoulders.

 

“You don’t care what people think about you?” Sungmin questioned and Kyuhyun shrugged his shoulders again.

 

“Some people i do, but usually those people already know me.” He answered and Sungmin turned back to the lift door as it opened on the floor Kyuhyun resided in during his stay.

 

“Sungmin, although i admit there is some curiosity to melding with you, I understand that you’re not comfortable with the idea. Just because other people want you to, doesn’t mean you have to. If you did want to meld with me, then you should know i wouldn’t change my opinion of you.” Kyuhyun tried to settle the alien who stopped in front of his door. Sungmin’s eyes met his and Kyuhyun kept the contact. Finding the icey pale eyes more beautiful than creepy.

 

“Why do you want to meld with me?” Sungmin asked, his voice was quieter now. Kyuhyun thought for his reasons.

 

“I’m a curious person. I want to know what you were hiding that Kangin mentioned, i want to know if you're hiding something that would make me want to leave the city. More than anything i'm intrigued and want to know more about you, which is kind of embarrassing to admit but...open book.” He chuckled, fighting a mild blush.

 

Sungmin’s eyes continued to stay on his. Like they were looking for a sign in his eyes. He let the alien think on whatever was running through his mind.

“Would you stay?” Sungmin asked next, his voice even quieter.

 

“Stay?”

 

“Would you stay if i wasn’t hiding anything about the city?” Sungmin elaborated and Kyuhyun thought of his options. He didn’t have to think for long, nothing in the city was as he was told. No one was brainwashed, people seemed happy. His brother and family were inside the walls and there was nothing for Kyuhyun outside them anymore. Then there was the person stood in front of him.

 

“Yes, I would stay.” He spoke with confidence.

 

With his word Sungmin opened his door, stepping inside and waiting for Kyuhyun to follow before he closed the door behind them. He watched Sungmin walk to the middle of his room before turning back to Kyuhyun. Sungmin held out his hand the Kyuhyun watched it slowly turn to shimmering silver.

 

“You don’t have to, Sungmin.” Kyuhyun almost felt guilty. He never wanted to put pressure on the ferrumian.

 

“Well it’s a sure fire way to help you understand we have nothing to hide and you have already said you won’t judge me and the chance of anything else happening that i don’t want to happen are very low so i might as well.” Sungmin shrugged his shoulders trying to show indifference but Kyuhyun could tell it wasn’t a small step for him.

 

“I would find it all out eventually. Over time.” He didn't understand why Sungmin would readily do something he was uncomfortable with. He remembered clearly that Sungmin said he wouldn’t meld with a human.

 

“Oh for goodness sake Kyuhyun. Can we just get this over and done with.” Sungmin snapped at him as he would with a ridiculous child. Kyuhyun sighed as he stepped forward, deciding he had given Sungmin enough chance to back out if he wanted to.

 

He stood before his guide and reached his hand out, feeling the warmth coming from Sungmin’s before they touched. When he grasped it in his own he watched the form of it disappear and surround his hand. Then he eyes were no longer in the room. Scenes like memories danced in his mind. All of Sungmin, ages varied with each moment. He smiled feeling moments of joy as a child. Watching him interact with another Ferrumian child in school. Seeing moments he captured rebels. Moments where he laughed with friends. Feeling fear as he was grabbed around the ankle with Kyuhyun in the VR game. He tried to slow it down, to concentrate on one at a time.

 

The one that settled filled him with sadness. A Sungmin that was not much younger than the one he knew, sobbed as his mother, a human woman with dark hair and lips like Sungmin’s,  lay in bed, in the labs. The lab coat wearing man by his side that Kyuhyun had seen earlier in the day. His hand rested on Sungmin’s shoulder. He felt the despair and hopelessness that Sungmin felt. It slowly moved to the image of a car accident, Sungmin running towards the wreckage before being pulled back by other guards. His love and pain directed at one man, lying in the road motionless and bleeding.

 

It made Kyuhyun realise suddenly why Sungmin was against finding a soulmate. He had lost his father in an accident and then lost his mother days later. He felt the need to protect Sungmin in that moment, realising he had been through more than enough already. Before he could pull out of the hand another image came forward and captured his interest. It was his brother, Kangin.

 

“Min, you should find your soul mate, there is nothing like it.” His grin was wide and his eyes seemed to drift with love.

 

“I risk my life too much. If i bond with a ferrumian, so be it. But i will not put a human's life at danger while i risk mine.” He snorted and Kangin sighed.

 

“It might never happen, Min. Cheer the up.” Kangin chuckled, slapping his arm.

 

Kyuhyun understood his reasoning, though he himself would say the love, like what Sunny and Kangin have, would be worth the risk. Next an image of himself appeared, it was strange seeing himself in someone else's eyes. What was stranger was what he felt. First there was attraction. The way he ran, the way he looked to Sungmin with hatred on their first meeting. The cheeky smile he gave calling Sungmin a glorified puddle, which made him laugh in the moment. Then it moved to his arm around Sungmin as they left the VR game. A flutter exploded in his chest and it moved to Kyuhyun admitting his face was too attractive. A pleasant ache when Kyuhyun wipes away chocolate from him chin, followed by a feeling of urge and confusion.

 

A strange feeling overcame him. Something not involved with Sungmin’s memories. It was more like someone watching him. Not in a scary paranoid way. Like a niggle in his mind as some of his own memories began to mix with Sungmin’s. He couldn’t focus on one suddenly, losing control of what he was seeing until something of Kyuhyun’s stopped suddenly. An image of him as a child, caring for his sick parents. Then a panicked whisper rang in his head, Sungmin’s familiar voice as though Sungmin could hear his thoughts.  

 

“He’s my soul mate.”

 

More panic and dread rushed him from Sungmin and Kyuhyun forced himself to pull out. Removing his hand from the silver hold which quickly turned back to human. He stared at Sungmin who’s eyes were wide and his breaths short. Kyuhyun knew he had to calm him down. If what he had heard was true, Sungmin has just done what he had been avoiding for years, and for his own good reasons that not everyone may understand, but to Kyuhyun, they made perfect sense. He took the short step closer, his hand reaching out for Sungmin’s arm which was wrapped around himself. When the shorter didn’t pull away he slowly reached his other hand to Sungmin’s cheek. Brushing it gently with his thumb.

 

He didn’t dare speak as Sungmin looked up to him helplessly and entirely vulnerable. He knew his eyes were filled with sympathy but he didn’t know how to express his understanding, or how to show Sungmin that he was feeling a similar fear. He leaned down. Pressing his forehead to Sungmin’s, his eyes closed. Feeling his own helplessness and hoping Sungmin wouldn’t pull or run.

 

He felt movement between his hands and anticipated the emptiness but instead, felt pressure against his lips. Needing little thought, he pressed back. Feeling the unsureness in Sungmin’s didn't make it any less sweet. The feeling seemed to agree with every fiber of his being. Like the interaction was the most natural and important thing in his lifetime. His stomach fluttered and his chest pounded. His mind was lost and he dared a step further. Moving his lips against Sungmin’s for only a brief moment before solid hands shoved him back. His mind clearing as he landed on the floor, a reminder of Sungmin’s strength as his body was jarred. He stood with speed to see Sungmin swing open the door.

 

“Sungmin!” He didn’t expect him to stop his dash. Pain filled him as Sungmin refused to turn to his call.

 

“I’m sorry.” He whispered. Hearing the words Sungmin bolted. Leaving Kyuhyun in silence. He couldn’t blame his discomfort or confusion. He understood almost first hand what Sungmin was feeling. He understood every reason why Sungmin didn’t want him. He couldn’t blame him. Even if he knew what could happen to him if Sungmin didn’t change his mind, he couldn’t blame him.

 

He knew the discomfort would stay, for as long as Sungmin was away from him, it would stay.

 

---

 

Kyuhyun woke the next morning feeling like sleep had evaded him all night. His muscles ached and he tried to blame it on the activities he took part in the day before. He pulled himself out of bed, his body calling for the bathroom. He felt the drag in his limbs but continued. After seeing to his needs he found himself in front of the mirror. His hair was sleep ruffled and his face looked more drawn in than he had seen it in a long time.

 

He tried to remember what he was told about the aftereffects of separating from your soul mate. He remembered Sungmin saying on the second day he wouldn’t be able to leave his bed and the third day was when the worse came. For now he would be left with what he had.

 

The overwhelming feeling that something was missing. His chest aching but his body lacking energy to do anything to help himself. His joints ached and he could feel the prickle of a headache behind his eyes. He took a handful of water from the tap and gulped it down, feeling the dryness in his throat quenched only slightly. He didn’t plan on leaving his room, his bed was calling to him too much.

 

Even if he did force himself away from it, he was lost with what to do. He couldn’t bare the thought of food, of being near anyone. Anyone except Sungmin. He just wanted Sungmin. Laying his head down he wondered if anyone would help him. If Kangin would persuade his soul mate back to him, wondering again if he should contact his brother. He decided against it, Sungmin hadn’t wanted the new found relationship with Kyuhyun, and Kyuhyun was going to respect that. He knew for Sungmin’s sake, he should stay and suffer silently.

 

Closing his eyes he smiled, pulling any image he could of the person that could bring him comfort. Imagining Sungmin’s form next to his own brought him mental relief enough to sleep again.

 

---

 

Kyuhyun’s eyes opened to see sheets and pillows. Images of Sungmin filling his mind in a moment. He let his eyes adjust, not having the energy to move yet. He stayed that way for a while, aware of the sharper ache over his body. Realising he had to see to his needs again. He pushed himself up. Struggling against his own weight, his arms feeling too weak to support him. Managing to sit up he took a deep breath. His heart was racing and his skin felt clammy. Before he could run for miles before feeling the way he did now.

 

He pushed himself up, taking care on his shaky legs as he slowly made his way to the bathroom, sitting on the toilet to relieve himself, feeling his exhaustion at the small trip. Making his way back proved harder, his legs giving out beneath him as he reached the door frame. Saving himself from a fall with the last moments of strength from him limbs. Taking steady breaths he tried to muster more for the next leg of his journey. His first step was successful but his second let him down. He crumbled to the floor, his head banging against it’s solid surface, knocking him dizzy.

 

A sob wracked his body. A desperate cry that he tried to silence. The pain, loss of his energy, strength and independence were not the reason. He would live a thousand days in the same state to lay eyes on his mate. It was the loss he felt, the emptiness and pure despair, that the one he needed to live, didn’t need him back. He let himself cry, feeling it would be his only comfort. His limbs failed to listen to him, refusing to move, even to wipe at the mess on his face.

 

He realise the third day would not be the worst, he wished for tomorrow. He needed the feeling to end. He wished he had found Sungmin while he still could the day before. He wished he could see some end to the ripping ache in his chest and the sharp pains in his body. For now all he could do was wait.

 

---

 

Kyuhyun woke to violent shaking.

 

---

 

He woke to speeding movements as lights flashed in his vision.

 

---

 

He woke to see the face of a familiar lab coat wearing physician. This time his eyes stayed open. Struggling against the brightness as more figures appeared in the room. The number lessened as he focused and one in particular seemed to be demanding his attention. He realised his name was being called.

 

“Kyuhyun, I’m Dr. Kim. Let me know if you understand.” Kyuhyun tried to nod his head but it only swayed to the side.

 

“Kyuhyun, did you find your soulmate?” Kyuhyun’s chest constricted with the reminder of the one he so desperately wanted. He felt a sob that could not be held in his chest. He nodded again.

 

“Make it stop.” His voice was a croak compared to the clarity he expected and he saw the sympathy offered to him.

 

“Kyuhyun, we need to know who it is.” Realising their plan Kyuhyun shook his head to the best of his ability. Sungmin never wanted this. He wouldn’t force him, he would leave like Sungmin wanted.

 

“Kyuhyun.” Another figure appeared next to him, he recognised his brother easily.

 

“Kyuhyun, you need to tell us who it was, they can make it stop.” Kyuhyun shook his head again and Kangin insisted, his voice panicked.

 

“Kyuhyun if we don’t find them you’re going to die.” He gave a slow nod as he felt his eyes grow heavier. He let them drop only to open as he was shook by the shoulders. The doctor was trying to stop the movements.

 

“Why won't you tell me who it is.” His brother cried as he was pushed away.

 

“He never wanted this, I won’t make him do this.” Kyuhyun replied, letting his eyes lock with his brothers until he couldn’t hold them open anymore. He didn’t know if he saw the realisation in his friend's eyes or if he imagined it. He hoped we wouldn’t wake from the sleep he was dragged into.

 

---

 

Kangin banged his fists against the door. His mentality would not be considered sane and he was happy to use it to his advantage.

 

“Sungmin, open the door.” He yelled at the top of his lungs. His anger spiked with no reply.

 

“I’ll go get the spare key from the safe room.” Leeteuk spoke calmly next to him.

 

“To hell with that.” Kangin took a few strides back before running full force into the door. The hinges broke and it took two more kicks before he was in Sungmin’s small apartment. He felt his fiance's hand on his arm trying to calm him down but he refused to listen to calmness when his brother was dying.

 

He walked into Sungmin’s living and kitchen area unceremoniously, eyes scanning for the ferrumian as he made he way to the bedroom. Opening the door and stepping inside, he had to give his eyes time to adjust before he could make out a lump in the bed. He stomped over, ripping at the covers to see a just awoken Sungmin looking up to him. His eyes were bloodshot and swollen. Dark rings decorating the underneath.

 

“What the are you doing?” He yelled at his friend. The latter stayed silent, watching him with weariness. Kangin stood to the side and pointed a finger to the door and spoke with a commanding tone.

 

“Go to my brother.” He watched Sungmin shake his head and his anger spiked. He heard a call of his name behind him and ignored it.

 

“Weather you wanted this or not, you have it. I will not let you kill my brother for your own stupid excuses.” He yelled, watching Sungmin curl in on himself, tears escaping. Kangin felt no sympathy and was moments away from grabbing Sungmin and dragging him to the labs kicking and screaming.

 

A hand landed on his shoulder. Pushing him to turn and he came face to face with an angered Sunny.

 

“Go stand outside, i will speak to him.” She demanded and Kangin scowled in response.

 

“My brother is…”

 

“I know exactly what is happening Kangin but clearly breaking down doors and shouting is not solving anything, now get out.” Kangin opened his mouth to argue with his rarely angry fiance but the stern dangerous look in her eye made him back off. He scoffed and moved to the living area, followed by Leeteuk who was still calm as ever. He took a seat on the large comfortable sofa but couldn’t relax.

 

“Your fiance’s is feisty.” Kangin rolled his eyes and scowled at the man. He knew full well what his wife was like. He didn't need telling off some big wig.

 

---

 

“Why are you upset Sungmin?” Sunny moved towards her close friend, sitting beside him and draping her arm over his shoulder.

 

“You know why.” He mumbled as he tried to push away the tears running down his face.

 

“I thought you didn’t want Kyuhyun, so why are you so upset?” she knew using the “i'm heartless” tactic to bring a reaction from Sungmin could be useless but she figured it was worth a try. Hoping she could get the man to accept his new soulmate.

 

“It’s not like i can control this,” He gestured to himself, “I don’t want to want him.”

 

“Then why did you meld with him? I know when i met Kangin there was something more, i could tell there was something different so you must have felt the same.” She watched more silent tears leave tracks down Sungmin’s cheeks.

 

“I did. I knew there was something different but...i don't know. I knew he wanted to get to know me better and i felt comfortable with him. I was weak, i guess on some level i did want to know if he was my mate.” He brought his knees up under his chin, staring at the floor of his room.

 

“And now i’m left like this. I feel so empty and in the times i’m not it’s because he’s in my mind and every second aches.”

 

“I love you Sungmin and you’re my friend but i don’t think you have the right to complain about how you feel right now.” Sungmin’s eyes met hers, the pain of what she said in them.

 

“But you have felt this, you understand.” He tried to bring her back on his side.

 

“Not from choice. I can’t be sympathetic to you when you are doing it yourself. Honestly i think you’re just being dramatic.” She met his eyes and kept a coldness in her own, unwilling to show any yielding.

 

“You know why i didn’t want this to happen.” he defended

 

“Yet you still melded with him knowing the risk. Again it was avoidable.”

 

“Why are you being like this?” He questioned desperately.

 

“Well you’re kind of turning yourself into a depressed murderer. The Sungmin i know, wouldn’t do that. I guess i don’t know you as well as i thought.” She watched him turn his attention back to the floor. An emptiness in his eyes which made her worry she had taken it too far.

 

“You know, just because your mother died after your father, doesn’t mean the same will happen with you and Kyuhyun.” She saw the flash of pain as the name left .

 

“I risk my life on a regular basis, leaving the city and fighting rebels. If i died, i could be taking Kyuhyun with me.” He once again tried to defend his actions and she had to fight back a smile, she was glad he was feeling remorse between each defence.

 

“He’s dying now, Sungmin. If he dies today, you will be the reason he dies. If you saved him today you could live a nice comfortable life and then you have a 50% chance he will die of old age and not because you died before him. Seriously your excuses make no sense, what is the real reason you don’t want to be with him. Is it because he’s kind of ugly?” She questioned and enjoyed the look of insult, confusion and annoyance he gave her.

 

“He’s not ugly.” Sungmin stated.

 

“Really? You don’t think so. What is with the weird creepy grin he gives you. Or his messy hair. And he’s so scrawny! Oh and his voice, really gives me the creeps when it goes deep.” She apologised in her mind to Kyuhyun.

 

“His smile is perfect, it’s boyish and charming. And his hair is fine too. And he is skinny but strong which makes him really fast. Kangin can’t run that fast in his dreams. His voice...his voice is comforting and smooth.” She watched Sungmin’s eyes blank as a small smile played on his lips.

 

“Alright but what about his personality, is that the reason? He’s arrogant and so nosey. He acts way too friendly with people he doesn’t know. He’s far too opinionated too. It grates on me.” She gave a fake shiver.

 

“He’s not arrogant either!” Sungmin was louder in his defenses, “He’s playful and cheeky and curious. Everyone he meets thinks he’s fun to be around. He’s super smart, especially for a rebel and he’s brave and protective too. I don’t think you have much right to talk about him that way, you clearly don't know him.” It was the first time Sunny had been on the receiving end of a hatred glare from Sungmin and it worried her, but it was according to plan she guessed.

 

“Well, i disagree with you but whatever,” She stood and stretched her arms, “Either way i won't have to deal with him soon.” She chuckled, walking to the door.

 

“I’m actually really glad you are rejecting him. I don’t think he is worthy of you. You could do much better. When he dies you can just look for a better one.” She walked through the door and into the living area. Taking a large breath of air as she did. Kangin looked to her, waiting for answers and she hoped she had made the right decision.

 

“Well what did he say?” Kangin persisted. She spoke loud enough for Sungmin to hear her.

 

“He says it’s because his mum died and all that rubbish but really it’s because he doesn’t really like Kyuhyun. I told him he can do better for sure, so when Kyuhyun dies, we’ll just find him someone better.” Kangin’s face filled with shock and horror at her words. She just managed a wink that she wasn’t sure he saw before Sungmin burst through his bedroom door.

 

“You are absolutely wrong and...and i...i hate you.” He shouted, slipping on shoes and grabbing a hoodie from the back of the sofa.  “Kyuhyun is more than worthy of me, he’s amazing and gorgeous and...perfect.” His voice softened.

 

“I don’t want anyone but Kyuhyun.” Tears started to fall again down his cheeks as he pulled the garment over his head, “I need him.”

 

He walked out of the room and Sunny looked to Kangin who stared between her and the door with wide eyes before diving out of his chair followed by Leeteuk. Sunny moved with them, all three trying to keep up to speed with Sungmin as he jogged through corridors. Realising they were getting closer and closer to the labs, relief filled her.

 

She tried to catch up more as she heard Sungmin’s voice raise.

 

“Where is he?” He was looking from window to window desperately as they reached the corridor. She jogged past him and opened the door.

 

“Here.” She  moved away to let Sungmin pass. Watching the brief hesitation before he slowly stepped into the room. She followed him in, watching her friends face contort in guilt. His hand raised over his mouth and she felt and large familiar hand slip into her own. Her heart was clenching and tears pricked at her eyes as she fought them back. Her heart swelling for the depth of love she could see in her friend's eyes.

 

---

 

Kyuhyun was disappointed to find he had woken up, still in the lab. He had hoped it would be the last time he slept. Already tears had formed, gently running down into his hairline. Pain still enclosed his body and his limbs still felt like lead. His lids felt heavy and he wondered why his body had bothered to wake him up when he still wanted to sleep.

 

His mind went back to Sungmin, all he had been able to think about since laying eyes on the ferrumian. He felt the groggy feeling in his face appear more as his tears continued to fall. He wondered how his mate was feeling. He knew it would be hard on him too, he hoped he would feel fine soon, maybe when Kyuhyun finally died, maybe the feeling would go then, or at least be easier to deal with.

 

He let his eyes close finally. Sleep was the only moment he felt any relief. The pain in his body and heart settled when he did, instead he could dream of the city and sharing it with Sungmin. A gentle hand landed on his cheek and wiped at the tears. He wondered who it belonged to, being too small for Kangin’s. Possibly Sunny.

 

As he felt the hand move against his skin he felt comfort and a kind of peace come over him. The ache in his chest seemed to fade with the persons ministrations and he forced himself to look through heavy lids to see who he would owe thanks to.

 

The image before him felt too good to be true. The tears fell faster as he moved his cheek against the hand. Looking into ice blue eyes he saw his suffering reflected. He hoped with everything he had left that it was real. The image in front of him and the hand on his cheek.

 

“Sungmin…” His voice gave out before he could say more. A steady shush met his ears, he felt a drop of warm wet on his chin from overflowing eyes.

 

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry, Kyuhyun.” His voice cracked and choked with a sob and Kyuhyun needed to touch him. To return the comfort he was being given. His limbs still felt too heavy but strangely, with enough effort he managed to reach Sungmin’s elbow. Holding it when he couldn’t go further. He pulled lightly at the arm, needing the solid form coser. Realisation slowly hitting him that it was real. Sungmin was with him.

 

A hand took his own as Sungmin pressed it to his cheek, holding it in place as he moved closer. Desperation and relief mixed in his features. A forehead pressed against his own and he couldn’t help but release a sigh. Thankful for the immediate relief it gave him. His breaths no longer heavy and his mind slowly clearing of unwanted thoughts.

 

He couldn’t pay attention to the tears streaming from his eyes anymore. Only of the healing he felt from Sungmin’s presence. He wondered why his mate was with him, knowing he hadn’t wanted a bond so close to Kyuhyun but he couldn't voice any complaint. He was desperate for Sungmin to stay with him, the torture of being apart was too much. Now he felt as though he couldn’t be close enough to his love.

 

He felt Sungmin pull back, worry filled him that he would leave but the sweet and warm look in Sungmin’s eyes told him that wouldn't be the case. He watched the hand over his, that rested on Sungmin’s face start to shimmer and change. Soon the images flooded  as he saw the guilt and regret that Sungmin had felt leaving him, knowing it was only amplified as Sungmin saw his own memories of the experience. Then he felt protectiveness, adoration and possessiveness and it made him smile. Sungmin had accepted him and wasn’t going to let anything close to the past few days happen again. He let his own love overflow, sure Sungmin could feel it now. Soon other memories and emotions made their way to his eyes. He allowed them and let himself relax, seeing the calm in Sungmin to stay where he was.

 

---

 

Kyuhyun was sat up in the lab bed. Sungmin was by his side, sat on a chair with his arms and head resting on the bed as he slept. He couldn’t help looking down at the endearing sight and ran his fingers through dark brown locks. He had fallen asleep himself a while ago but soon woke again feeling too energetic to sleep. He hadn’t expected to recover so quickly. No one else had been in the room for a long time. He only remembered Sungmin. As though hearing his thoughts the familiar doctor came in with a bright smile painting his features.

 

“I’m glad to see you’re recovering fast.” He grinned at Kyuhyun who gave a small smile back. “How do you feel?”

 

“At the moment like i can take over the world, It’s a huge difference but i know i'm not 100% yet.” His eyes still watched his fingers threaded through Sungmin’s hair, his chest fluttering with affection.

 

“It’s a wonderful feeling isn’t it.” The doctor stated watching him. Kyuhyun nodded with a hum.

 

“I don’t know why he avoided it, I don't know how, I was far too clingy with my soul mate for a good three months.” He chuckled as he did his work on a clipboard from the bottom of Kyuhyun’s bed.

 

“He had his reasons. I understood them at the time, i’m just thankful he came back.” Kyuhyun smiled up to the doctor, “Though i understand the clinginess, i never want to let go.” He chuckled and the doctor smiled.

 

“Wait until you’re at full health, it only gets worse.” The doctor smiled. He put the clip board back, “I’m not sure it will help your experience but the data i collected from your machines before Sungmin came back and the information i got when he did, It’s given me a huge insight that could really help to develop something to help those who lose their soul mates.” Kyuhyun nodded his head in understanding.

 

“I wouldn’t want anyone to feel the way i did.”

 

“Well, you have some visitors outside that have been giving yourself and Sungmin some privacy, would you like me to send them in?” Kyuhyun nodded presuming it would be his brother, he remembered the panic he was in and almost felt guilty for the worry he caused.

 

Sure enough Kangin entered the room followed by Sunny.

 

“Hey.” He smiled at them, his brother instantly hugged him and Kyuhyun accepted it without a problem.

 

“How are you feeling?” He asked and Kyuhyun smiled.

 

“On top of the world.” He grinned once again looking down to where his hand rested.

 

“I’m glad Sunny managed to talk some sense into him. I was ready to drag him here kicking and screaming. I’m still angry.” Kangin spoke and his tone seemed down.

 

“Don’t be, you know he had his reasons. If i understood him when i was the one dying, you should too. He’s here now, he’s accepted me, that's what matters.” Kangin sighed with his words and Kyuhyun saw Sunny his back. Offering comfort to his turmoil.

 

“Kyuhyun i must apologise,” Sunny spoke up and Kyuhyun looked to her with confusion, what could she possibly have to apologise for.

 

“To persuade Sungmin here i had to say some pretty nasty stuff about you, i wanted to make him defensive. I hoped that he would get protective and come to you. It was a risky move and...he actually said he hates me...but it was my only idea at the time.” She smiled sheepishly and Kyuhyun shook his head.

 

“Don’t worry about it, he’ll understand. None of us were thinking straight.” He shrugged.

 

“Why couldn’t you just be a normal couple and have when you bond?” Kangin sneered earning a giggle from his fiance and a chuckle from Kyuhyun. The noise seemed to alert his mate as he slowly moved to sit up. His features were sleepy but he still managed a scowl at Kangin and Sunny. A small grumble left him and he draped his arm over Kyuhyun, burying his head into his side to sleep more. Kyuhyun moved to the arm when it suddenly turned to liquid which made him jump with shock. He watched the rest of it move from the chair to fit into the side of him on the bed.

 

Kangin chuckled at his reaction as Kyuhyun calmed down, the surprise melting into affection. Even if it wasn’t the form he was used to with Sungmin, he still found it adorable.

 

“You get used to that happening when they sleep.” Kangin grinned and Kyuhyun smiled back. He’s certainly never dated someone so interesting.

 

---

 

Kyuhyun had woken up the next day to find Sungmin gone, Sunny was on hand to tell him she had sent Sungmin for a shower. Although Sungmin wasn’t near him, he didn’t feel pain or worry, just the excitement to see him again. He had also found out he was allowed to leave finally. He felt back to his usual self, if not stronger and was happy to get into his room and into his own shower. His energy seemed to be overactive and he had cleaned his room and changed his sheets. Happy when the room no longer smelt like a depressed and dying man.

 

He looked at his reflection in the bathroom mirror and smiled to himself. He certainly looked better that was for sure. There was a knock on his door and he went to answer it. Hoping it was Sungmin but not minding when his brothers grinning face greeted him.

 

Kyuhyun let him in, greeting his sister in law as she followed.

 

“No children?” He questioned and Sunny shook her head.

 

“My mother is enjoying taking care of them and told me to pick them up later.” Kyuhyun smiled as he followed them to the small seating area he was given in the small room. He noticed Kangin was pulling boxes of food from a plastic bag.

 

“You can come again.” He grinned, sitting across from his brother who chuckled.

 

“Well i know the food you were given in the lab isn’t exactly the best so i figured you would enjoy something a bit better. I got Sungmin some too, i thought he would be here already.” Kyuhyun shook his head with a smile. He wasn’t worried, for some reason he just knew he would see Sungmin soon. As the boxes were unpacked and handed out another knock came to his door. He stood again and excitement filled him again as Sunny mumbled out it was probably Sungmin.

 

He opened the door and the greeting he received was somewhat different than he expected. Sungmin’s body and lips were pressed against his own. A hand sliding into his hair made him melt and forget he was in the presence of company. A small moan meeting his lips made his spine shiver.

 

“Lee Sungmin for the love of god open your eyes.” Sunny’s shrill voice broke the interaction immediately. Sungmin pulled away as his face flushed more, taking a step away from Kyuhyun and smiling apologetically.

 

“Sorry, i didn’t know you were here.” He quickly apologised to the other two. Kangin laughed loud and Sunny hit his arm.

 

“So you should be, sit down we brought food. Maybe let your mate build his energy back up before you insist on exerting him.” Kyuhyun couldn't help his own laugh, aware of his heartbeat slowing down and the increase of attraction he felt for his soul mate. It was bizarre how light headed it made him and how amazing it felt to have Sungmin’s body so close. He finally sat next to Sungmin at the table, noticing his mate avoiding his eyes.

 

“That must have been a bit of a wake up call.” Kangin muttered to him through a mouthful of food. Kyuhyun picked up his own and began shoveling it into his mouth.

 

“Really? We’re eating.” Sunny complained and Kangin defended.

 

“As his family we must educate him as we know first hand what he is experiencing. Sungmin is too shy to speak about this stuff.” Kangin grinned at his scowling friend and fiance before turning back to Kyuhyun.

 

“Once again i don’t understand the science if there is any behind it, but woah, it’s entirely different! I slept with tons of girls before Sunny but there is something about the soulmate thing that makes it impossible to resist.” Kyuhyun noticed Sunny’s scowl at his admission.

 

“Tons of girls?” She questioned and suddenly Kangin looked sheepish. Sungmin chuckled next to him.

 

“Well, not tons but…” Sunny side eyed him and Kangin gave a worried look to his brother. Kyuhyun grinned in response.

 

“In short and keeping myself out of trouble, you’re going to have the time of your life.” Kangin chuckled and Sungmin groaned.

 

“Alright enough already.” Kyuhyun looked to him with amusement and Sungmin caught his eyes. Kyuhyun realised why he was avoiding them earlier as his attention was taken entirely. Wanting nothing more than to lean forward and take whatever he could from the man next to him and he knew by the slight tilt forward that Sungmin was feeling the exact same. His need and attraction seemed to grow with every moment before fingers snapped him out of his daze.

 

“I wouldn’t do that if i were you.” Kangin chuckled returning to his food.

 

“Eye contact is never good in public.” Sunny added her tone mildly annoyed, “You’ll put everyone off their food.”

 

“Don’t be so grumpy, we were exactly the same” Kangin nudged her and she seemed to smile with reminiscing.

 

---

 

Kyuhyun walked his brother and sister-in-law out of his room. Thanking them for the food and hoping his appreciation for everything they did, showed. Kangin patted him on the back, flicking his eyes behind him where Sungmin was clearing up the table, laughing when Kyuhyun’s eyes seemed to get stuck again. He gave a whisper of wished fun and left, Kyuhyun closing the door.

 

It was going to be hard to try and avoid eye contact with Sungmin, not like he didn't want to be back in the position he was earlier, with Sungmin pressed against him. But he would at least like to leave the option down to Sungmin. He thanked Sungmin for cleaning up the stuff they used before taking over, putting his rubbish down the trash chute and opening a window a crack to let in some fresh air. When he was done he turned to Sungmin who was stood stretching, unaware of Kyuhyun watching him as his eyes were settled outside the other window. The white v neck he wore travelled up to show a small section of skin on his stomach.

 

The image had Kyuhyun’s heart thudding, his eyes travelling further over the expanse of Sungmin’s body, taking in every detail which only made his current attraction heighten. He shook his head, forcing himself to look at something else. He didn’t want to seem like he was only interested in Sungmin’s looks. It wasn’t the case, he was uncontrollably in love with the ferrumian. There was more to him than the appeal of his human body but at the moment, his body wanted nothing more than Sungmin’s.

 

“You can’t control it.” Sungmin was still training his eyes outside the window. Kyuhyun just watched him, waiting for some explanation to his words.


“The obsession to look at me or touch me. It’s normal, though it even sounds strange to me.” He eventually elaborated.

 

“It feels disrespectful.” He grumbled but Sungmin’s chuckle lightened the room.

 

“It’s not, It can't be disrespectful when you respect and love someone. It’s expected for you to want your soulmate's body.”

 

“It feels more than want. I feel like i need it.” Kyuhyun saw the shiver in Sungmin’s body that came with his words and he felt eagerness rise in his own.

 

Sungmin moved towards him, his eyes downcast, avoiding Kyuhyun’s. Kyuhyun watched him intently. Every movement he made seeming so important. He let Sungmin walk into his arms. Both of his hands landing on hips. Sungmin’s head rested on his chest and Kyuhyun couldn’t ignore urges for much longer. He moved his hand to hold the side of Sungmin’s neck, his thumb brushing his smooth cheek as he leaned down, pressing soft kisses on an even smoother neck. Feeling Sungmin’s sigh against his wrist had him press more firmly. Kissing down and tasting his skin. His mind was slowly giving in as he a stripe up, A whimper reaching his ears and hands gripped at his own clothes.

 

He kissed along Sungmin’s jaw, eyes landing on parted lips releasing ragged breaths. He couldn’t resist them then, pressing his own against them, a pleased hum from his mate spurred him on. He moved his hand’s down pulling Sungmin closer by his hips and enjoying the eagerness with which Sungmin wrapped arms around his neck. He felt a nip at his lip and his kisses became firmer. His hands travelled to Sungmin’s , squeezing as another beautiful whimper left the ferrumian. The noises only spurred him on more, He lifted Sungmin until legs wrapped around his waist, pressing him against the wall between the windows and realising for the first time both of their growing arousals. Another whimper left his mate as their kisses became messy as desperate, Kyuhyun’s heart was beating erratically and his only thoughts were ones of Sungmin and how to make those noises come louder and more often. Sungmin’s hips moved and rocked against his own and Kyuhyun almost growled at the need filling him. He moved his own, attacking Sungmin’s neck as it exposed with it falling back in a needy moan.

 

“I need more.” His mate whined, his hips moving desperately, trying to gain more friction between them. Kyuhyun listened and pulled Sungmin closer, supporting his weight before moving to his bed, he felt the same eagerness as Sungmin but wanted to savour the moment with his mate.

 

He laid Sungmin down gently, their lips meeting instantly after, Sungmin’s legs came undone from behind him and a hand travelled down his clothed chest. He slid his own hands up from Sungmin’s hips, letting them slide under the white V neck and feeling the warm, smooth skin beneath. He felt the deep breaths Sungmin was taking as his hand slid over slight rips. He pulled Sungmin to sit up, releasing his lips to remove the shirt before following him back down. His lips moving down from Sungmin’s, over his throat and down his chest. A hand ran through his hair and pale blue eyes seemed darker.

 

He moved with the arch of Sungmin’s back as his tongue moved over a . Enjoying the hummed pleasure filling the room. He was pulled up and rolled onto his back in a moment. Reminded of Sungmin’s strength that appealed to him more than he thought it would. He let his hands slide over Sungmin’s body, admiring the view of toned body over him. His own shirt was hiked up over his head and he was pushed down with extra force. Lips crashed with his and a hand gripped his hair. The need in Sungmin showing as his hips rocked against Kyuhyun’s in a movement that had Kyuhyun himself. Sungmin’s breath mixing with his. A teasing smile on his mate's face as he enjoyed the result of his ministrations. Kyuhyun raised his own hips to meet Sungmin’s, fingers gripping Sungmin’s hips. Watching Sungmin sit up with a sigh, his hips rolling with the new found feeling. Fingers flexed against his chest and breaths came faster but soon moved to undo buttons on Kyuhyun’s pants. Impatience getting the best of him. Kyuhyun allowed for his pants to be rolled off. Sitting up and insisting on the same for Sungmin.

 

His mate sat astride his lap, their members brushing as they settled. His lips were taken in another searing kiss which he was soon distracted by and Sungmin’s hand wrapped around them both. His hand moved slowly and teasingly and Kyuhyun could feel their wetness mixing. Sungmin pulled back with a whine, biting his lip as his hips involuntarily bucked in his hand, causing more pleasure to Kyuhyun who could only watch the arousing sight.

 

“I don’t know what to do from here.” Sungmin whispered with a whine. Kyuhyun reminded himself that Sungmin wasn’t human and probably hadn’t experienced as humans do. He laid Sungmin down again. Pressing a loving and slower kiss to his lips as he moved his hand to Sungmin’s member. The alien letting out a desperate moan and gasp as his thumb flicked the edge. He continued his ministrations as he pressed his finger against Sungmin’s entrance, rubbing it to prepare his mate.

 

“It might hurt at first, but it gets better.” Sungmin nodded between ragged breath, showing he knew what to expect. He slowly entered his first finger, noticing little change in his mate as he moved it in and out. He tried a second. Going slower as he noticed a wince. He felt something change against his fingers, it seemed to move or disappear before returning. He realised Sungmin was using his own way to adjust to his ministation. He slowly entered a third and the same happened. Once he could feel it wrap around his fingers again he curled them. Sungmin cried out, almost sitting up as his back arched, the sultry and uncensored noises had Kyuhyun’s blood warming. Sending it all south. He continued his movements, watching his lover come undone, desperation in his moans. Another whine leaving as he removed his fingers.

 

He positioned himself, hoping he had done everything like he thought he should, He looked down to his mate, eyes half lidded, pout parted and hands gripping the sheet beside his head. Looking as eager and needy as Kyuhyun felt. He leaned down, pressing against Sungmin’s lips again, enjoying the feel of Sungmin teeth nipping his lower lip as his hips slid against the tip of . Begging him to hurry with his intentions. He pressed forward. Lips still on Sungmin’s as he slowly embedded himself. Gasping breaths breaking their kiss. He moved slower as Sungmin’s fingers gripped his back, making the discomfort known. He continued to leave pecks and sweet kisses on his mate’s face, in hopes of distracting him.

 

Soon was fully embedded. Sungmin’s lips had met his is a slow kiss as he adjusted slowly to Kyuhyun’s size. Sungmin’s hips began to move a moment later, testing. When his breathing became more laboured a leg was lifted around Kyuhyun’s waist and pulled him forward, impossibly deeper earning a hum of contentment from his lover. Getting the point he pulled out. Moving slowly still and feeling the tightness around him. It was an amazing sensation that he hadn’t experienced for a long time. He watched Sungmin writher beneath him as his movements came faster, the latter lifting his other leg to Kyuhyun waist and as Kyuhyun became more forceful, his lust driving his movements.

 

Kyuhyun could already feel the build up, the image of his soulmate panting and whining below him only pushed him further. His hushed plees music to Kyuhyun’s ears. Sungmin rolled them again, his impatience showing again as he moved his hips up and down to gain more. A bead of sweat trickled down his neck yet he showed no sign of slowing. The image was beautiful to Kyuhyun. Watching Sungmin ride him as he moved his hips to meet, the build up coming faster with each of Sungmin’s hard movements. He slid his hand up Sungmin’s body, whispering for him to lean back. Sungmin’s features questioned him but he followed Kyuhyun’s instructions, steadying his hands on Kyuhyun’s thighs. He continued his movements, amusing Kyuhyun with his confusion before his body arched him to sit up again, pleasure running through him and the desperate and needy moan leaving him was fuel to Kyuhyun. Sungmin resumed the position Kyuhyun put him in instantly and his movements came faster, Kyuhyun bucked his hips to meet Sungmin’s as his own pleasure mounted. His hand wrapped around Sungmin’s member and he moved to Sungmin’s rhythm. He watched his mate hold out a hand and he took it without question, watching Sungmin’s hand change to silver as his own breaths became short. Suddenly an almost overwhelming mix of feelings came over him. He was feeling waves of pleasure along with his own and a deep affection, adoration and love. There was need and want and it only made his end come closer. Feeling through their connection that Sungmin was very close himself. All he could feel was love for the man riding him, deep and desperate love that he soon felt back. The rest was then thrown away as Sungmin’s body shook and arched, the tightness around Kyuhyun bringing his own. Sungmin flashed silver, fast enough for Kyuhyun to believe he had imaged it if it didn’t happen again a moment later. Sungmin continued movements, riding out his into Kyuhyun’s hand. His body shivered as Kyuhyun filled him with his own and another flash of silver appeared before he settled, catching his breath as Kyuhyun did his own.

 

“Sorry,” Sungmin mumbled, gesturing to his own body, not prepared to get the words out. Kyuhyun just chuckled.

 

“Like you have to apologise.” He breathed out, pulling Sungmin down with him, the latter sighing with a smile as he rested his head on Kyuhyun’s chest.

 

“You humans made a great evolutionary choice with this whole thing.” Sungmin mumbled, Kyuhyun chuckled.

 

“Yeah, it’s not too bad i agree.”

 

“Not too bad?” Sungmin sat up with a start, scaring Kyuhyun momentarily before he realised what he had said.

 

“Not what i mean!” He held up his hands in surrender. Sungmin laid back down with a huff.

 

“Last time i do that with you.” He threatened and Kyuhyun laughed again.

 

“Yeah right, like we can stop it at the moment.” He sneered and Sungmin huffed.


“Fine. But i’ll at least make you work for it.” Kyuhyun chuckled again as his forehead was flicked. Accepting his defeat as he closed his eyes, fully prepared to not move from the bed for a good few hours.”