Korean Wizarding World ~

:: Maseol, Academy of Magic ::
OZ5FEnx.png
INSIGHT INTO THE KOREAN WIZARDING WORLD
 
     This is the anything and everything you need to know about Maseol and the Korean Wizarding World. Updated: this now features information on Wizarding Communities in Korea!
 
History of Maseol :
 
Maseol, Academy of Magic was founded during the hight of the Joseon Dynasty, by the four most powerful wizards and witches in Korea at the time, hoping to educate all young magic wielders. They had learned much from communications with foreign wizarding missionaries and wished to pass it on. Girim Hwon, Namgeon Dal, Wideok Seong, and Anseung Rim. Each of the four houses' names were taken from the founders surnames, and are represented by their respective crests: Girim; The Bear, Wideok; The Sika Deer, Namgeon; The Weasel, and last but not least, Anseung; The Vibakari.
 
They excepted students from all over Korea, though it wasn't as grand as it is now. Originally the institute was only a semi-large temple in appearence, consisting of four Houses and a hall half the size of the Grand Hall now. The hall was used for instruction by Girim Hwon, Wideok Seong, and Anseung Rim. The gardens outside was were Namgeon Dal gave lessons on magical plants and creatures. It expanded much during the first twenty years it was open, and came to look like a small palace. School years only last three (possibly six years if the student was willing) years beginning at age fifteen. After that, many students were sent back out into the world able to control their magic. Only some wizarding jobs existed, but since many didn't want to start again in the world of non-wizards, known figures such as Kim Jeonghan and Han Minsun started their own hidden communities such as KimHan village, and others like Mabeob alley, connecting to the non-wizarding world.
 
Other wizarding families took on high status in both worlds, since there were many Pureblood families most took part in royal courts. After the Joseon era ended and the Japanese took over, Maseol was closed down to preserve it's self from the Japanese Ministry (though this is how they first picked up Quidditch) and it didn't reopen till the 1940s...but things didn't seem quiet right in the wizarding world. Unfortunately during the war between the North and South from 1950 - 1953 it was destroyed in a wizarding war commencing during the same time.
 
Most of the wizarding world sided with the South, and do to this, helped rebuild the school with some more western advancements such as the formation of a castle built around the structure of what was left of the Namgeon common room and Grand Hall. Most textbooks are translated from well known British texts, Hogwarts and Ilvermorny helped in the better construction of Houses and greater understanding of Quidditch, while the British Ministry of Magic aided in the rebuild of the now Korean Ministry of Magic, among other countries that helped them. It has since been a tradition to have a few foreign teachers among the staff, as well as the occasional foreign student(s) attending the Korean institute. It is now known for being the twelfth wizarding school in the world, and the second in Asia.
 
 
 
Maseol Ghosts: 
 
The four House ghosts are figures from Maseol's past. Each House at Maseol has a patron ghost. Each of these ghosts once belonged to their corresponding House. They serve as a representative to their House, as well as serving the role of messenger or guide to those who are still unfamiliar with the House they were sorted into. Ghost are either afraid of death, or have a strong connection to the location they haunt.

ANSEUNG HOUSE
"I have no interest in the secrets death holds...but I'm sure you'll come to know them yourself."
Bloody Serpent

Yun Si Yeol was his given name, though more commonly he is called Lord Yun or "Bloody Serpent" since he only appears during the night and haunts the halls before the Anseung passageway, sliding back and forth in his shimmering greyed green robes. Though on occasion he does become more social and like the other house ghosts he'll go to meet the new first years during the first dinner at the castle. He is known for the blood that on occasion seeps from his mouth as a reminder of how he was poisoned of all things. He was a wand maker visiting his old institute, but was too afraid of dying to move on, so instead roams the halls of Maseol to this day.

WIDEOK HOUSE
"I don't remember much...just...water...and cold...Have you finish studying for your OWLS yet?"
- Lady of the Lake

Hwa Jung or "Lady of the Lake" was the daughter of a headmaster of Maseol, however she can't remember who and there for doesn't know her surname. It happened not long before the cause of her death. A dark wizard used the Obliviate charm on her. In a fit of confusion and fear she ran into the Curst Wood and drowned in a lake. Her spirit returned to Maseol to watch over the Wideok students and protect them from harm if possible, even if she doesn't remember all of her time there or how she died exactly. No one tells her who her father was or who she used to be to spare her the pain. She is notices for being soaking wet and dripping all over.

GIRIM HOUSE
"I'm quiet looking forward to my Deathday Party, you're all invited of course, do you think Hwa Jung would want to come?"
- Deathly Scholar

Girim Seon was the some of Girim Hwon, and is commonly called Sir Seon, Seon, or "Deathly Scholar". He was a close friend to King Heonjong, and trained like a proper scholar. He was killed by a dark wizard but even though he knows he is dead, still won't except it. He is often found sword fighting, or sitting atop the ledge above the Girim passageway fanning himself as he quotes classical poetry. He is very proud of his beauty, and would be a hit with the girls if he wasn't dead. Though he is kind to other house students, it isn't a secret to Girim house he likes them best. 

NAMGEON HOUSE
"I think I would miss this place most, which is probably why I'm still here. I never felt more safe then within this room."
- Weeping Beauty

Seo Jang Geom also known as the "Weepling Beauty", was a well respected Namgeon, but also a well known Gisaeng. She was known for her beauty and loyalty as well as love for nature, many were jealous of her popularity. Eventually she was suffocated in her sleep by her rival as well as the Head Gisaeng since Jang Geom was being put on suspicion for "seemingly" casting spells on all the men who visited her, and growing strange plants in the Gisaeng courtyard garden. Now she is known for her teary eyes and timid aura. Being suffocated even to this day has left a mark on her, and many avoid her do to her sudden outburst of gasping.
 
 
 
Locations :
 
   
Headmaster's Office  |  Wideok Common Room
  
School Hallway  |  Spiral Stairs
  
Anseung Common Room  |  Girim Common Room
   
Grand Stairwell  |  Second Floor Cupola
  
Namgeon Common Room  |  The Cursed Wood
  
Ground Keeper's Hut  |  The Maseol Express
  
Maseol Quidditch Pitch  |  Herbology Greenhouse
  
Forbidden Floor  |  Forgotten Library
  
School Library  |  Grand Hall
  
Kim Han Village  |  One Eyed Wizard's Club
   
Mabeob Ally  |  Dokksari Wand Shop
 
 
Wand Lore :
 
Gumiho Tail Hair Core - Similar to Unicorn Tail Hair, in the sense they make very loyal wands, however they can be mischievous and finicky if the wielder doesn't have too much practice, but will boned with the owner over time. They very rarely change allegiance.

Imugi Heartstring Core - Similar to Dragon Heartstring in the sense they are the most powerful core and great for flamboyant and glorious spells, these tend to go to very determined and goal oriented Witches and Wizards, but will change allegiance if won, and bonds deeply with the current owner.

Gye-Ryong Feather Core - This one is a rarer type, as they are picky when choosing an owner, much like Phenix Feathers, however they are a little easier to tame, though they do tend to act upon their own accorded at times. They are capable of the greatest magic, though it takes a longer time for them to show potential compared to Gumiho Tail Hair or Imugi Heartstring.

These are the different core types, well the most well known ones. There are small wand shops across South Korea that use different cores, but these are the most common or at least most well known. If you go through One Eyed Wizard's Club, and through the special passageway, you'll end up in Mabeob Ally. There are many different wizarding shops, including the most well known wand shop in South Korea, Dokksari Wands Co. "For all Your Wand Whirling Needs". Dokksari uses these three mostly in their work.
 
 
 
 
Jugeum Jong:
 
 
There are dark wizards everywhere, and this rogue group of witches and wizards are known as 'Jugeum Jong' or 'Death's Servants' since they serve the dark ways of magic, bringing death and evil wherever they tread. Their leader was a man they call Talaghan. He was the son of a respected Pureblood family, however during the late 1940s he began his fall from grace. He preached the need for revolution and the power to take over both the Muggle and Magical worlds, he said that Wizards were made superior and deserved to hold dominion over weak Muggles. He instigated the war between the North and South in the 50s, and targeted Maseol as a means of reform, hoping to teach his own ways of thinking. Unfortunately for him he was defeated by a group of the Maseol Alumni and though their lives were sacrificed as a result, he was finally taken down. However that wasn't the end of his Jugeum Jong. They still lerk in the shadows in hiding, still living and worshiping the ways of Talaghan.
 
    
 
Notable Jugeum Jong include Song Taeyeon, Lee Jong Hyuk, and Choi Minwoo. Each convicted and captured or currently Wanted for use of the Dark Arts and affiliation with Talaghan. Song Taeyeon is a cousin within the Noble House of Song, a Pureblood formally of Anseung House during her time at Maseol, she was arrested for the use of the Cruciatus Curse on a family of Muggles. Lee Jong Hyuk a Halfblood convicted along side Taeyeon for the murder of the Muggle family, requested a hearing before the Ministry earlier this year and is noted of soon being granted his wish under high security. Choi Minwoo is a Halfblood and recognized werewolf who is currently on the Wanted list and the Ministry is doing it's best to apprehend him, however those near forests or groves should be cautious.
 
 
 
 
The Ministry of Magic:
 
 
The Ministry of Magic (M.o.M.) is the main governing body of the magical community of South Korea with the intention of preservation of magical law. The Ministry connects the Korean government to the wizarding world. The headquarters of the Ministry are in Sangam-dong, Seoul, deep underground. The same Ministry is hugely based on the British Ministry as they assisted in the rebuild of the Korean Wizarding World. The Ministry of Magic was formed as a successor to the earlier High Council, a group of powerful witches and wizards from the Goryeo and Joseon dynasties known as High Priests or Priestesses of Magic. It was in power till the Japanese Ministry of Magic over took rule in the early 1900s. It's ways were much different from today's Ministry. The High Council was involved in the International Confederation of Wizards' decision to create the Statute of Secrecy in 1692 and still today, as the Korean Ministry of Magic, takes the responsibility of enforcing said Statute in Korea. The laws against magic-use by underage wizards and against wand use by non-wizard folk are also enforced by the Ministry, in part to maintain secrecy.

(Depicted is Goo Sangshin posing in his office)
 
It is run by the Minister for Magic. The current Minister in Korea is Goo Sangshin. Each President of Korea is visited by the Minister for Magic. During Talaghan's time the Minister for Magic worked with the Muggle President to ensure protection for the Muggle World. The Ministry itself is comprised of an eleven story building, housing many departments. The tenth level, is the Wizaguard Courtroom. It is only accessible from a flight of stairs from the Department of Mysteries. The eleventh floor also holds many mysteries, more then the Department of Mysteries it's self. The truth is no one but the Minister, few members of the International Confederation, and Maseol's Headmaster, know what lies on that floor. The main floor is a very social place, many news stands and fireplaces for people to take to and from. The Cormeum, or the main centre of the Ministry, is where it divides into the separate Departments and where most bustling commences. Placed in the centre is the statue of a crouched man with dark wings. This is what people believe to be the first wizard, born with the wings of power among other great abilities to which he used to make more of his kind, and prosper in magic. Though many believe this is just an ancient old Korean wizarding folk tale, many also take it seriously. Either way it is a symbol of their wizarding culture and the Ministry today uses it as their insignia.
 
 
 
Wizard Sports in Korea:
 
(Depicted is a match between Mermaid Waters and Sizzling Salamanders)
 
Though in many places within Asia Quidditch isn't that popular, there is a great exception to Japan and Korea. It has been growing in popularity over the past century in Japan. Quidditch was brought to Korea during the Japanese Occupation, where it was the only exciting news for locals reading the paper. Mostly everything else was executions and political stuff, whereas Quidditch was new and many wished to learn as if brought a sense of brightness during these dark times. Moving forward in time, after the Korean War, a great foreign influence helped build up the Quidditch community in Korea leading to the formation of house teams at Maseol along with official National teams from all eight Provinces.
 
 
- Red Foxes | f | Logo is a Nine tales fox holding a snitch | Fire Red and White are their colors / Based in Gyeonggi
- Busan Boggarts | m | Logo is fist representing fear and bludger flying over head | Chocolate and Rosy Brown are their colors / Based in South Gyeongsang
- Daegu Crow Tit | f/m | Logo is a Crow Tit perched on the middle Quidditch Hoop | Purple and Green are their colors / Based in North Gyeongsang
- Mermaid Waters | f/m | Logo is a Mermaid holding a trident that becomes the Quidditch Hoops | Green and Baby Blue are their colors / Based in Gyeonggi
- Gwangju Spirits | f/m | Logo is a Jangjamari juggling the Quidditch balls | Dark Green and Light Blue and their colors / Based in Gwangju
- Gnome Heads | m | Logo is a Gnome riding on a bludger really fast | Grey and Orange are their colors / Based in South Chungcheong
- Hopping Hippogriffs | f | Logo is a Hippogriff rearing up and surrounded by the different Quidditch balls | Grey and Light Blue are their colors / Based in South Gyeongsang
- Singing Selkies | f/m | Logo is a snitch covered in Mermaid designs infront of a watery background | Black and Ultramarine are their colors / Based in Gyeonggi
- Little Ramora | f/m | Logo is a silver fish with a snitch in it's mouth | Silver and Rose Gold are their colors / Based in Gangwon
- Devil Canons | m | Logo is a Bulgasari roaring behind two canons facing different directions | Red and Black are their colors / Based in North Chungcheong
- Gye-Ryong Rocks | f/m | Logo is a Gye-Ryong laying a snitch egg on Gyeryong Mountain | Green and Yellow are their colors / Based in South Chungcheong
- Sneaky Ashwinders | f | Logo is a snake constricting around a Quaffle | Pale-Grey and Red are their colors / Based in South Jeolla
- Billywig Stings | f/m | Logo is a blugder shaped like a Billywig stinging a opposition team's player | Blue and Purple are their colors / Based in South Jeolla
- Furry Kneazles | f/m | Logo is a furry Quaffle playing with a snitch like yarn | Beige and Buff are their colors / Based in North Gyeongsang
- Sizzling Salamanders | f/m | Logo is a Salamander emerging from it's flame | Dark Blue and Fire Red are their colors / Based in South Gyeongsang


Now when it comes to uniform, regardless the team's colors, there are very distinct points for the Korean uniform. The padding is similar to what you would find in Britain for example, however the clothes do show differences. It is the same for both men and women in order to play the same and have the ability to move without trouble. To begin with, all player tie sash-like fabrics over their foreheads; to for some, keep hair out of the way, soak up sweat, look cool, or to keep the goggles resting on their head from causing marks when playing. Cheollik are worn with a sash around the waist and cuffs on the lower arms. During the Joseon dynasty these were worn more so by military figures, as it was easy to maneuver in, and there for are worn while teams today play Quidditch. Bottoms worn are Baji, tightly tied trousers also worn during the Joseon dynasty. They are often pared with Hwa (the general term or boots), these of which are used for better gripping on the foot rungs on the broomstick.


The Department of Magical Games and Sports is a department of the Ministry of Magic. It is charged with the regulation of all sport-related events in the Wizarding World. It manages and plans games and tournaments across the country, delivering to you the best of the best of Quidditch. It's sub-division Foreign Affairs and Sports Department is also a sub-division of the Department of International Magical Cooperation and deals with Korean Quidditch teams partaking in Quidditch World Cup as well as other international games in this field.
 
 

 
 
Wizarding Communities:
 
 
Wizarding Villages are places where wizards come together to live, as it is safer for them in numbers. A great many wizarding families now a days live in big cities such as Seoul, flying under the radar. They have special places where they live, concealed by magic. Apartments hidden in apartments, houses masquerading as run down shops that for some reason no one wants to tare down and rebuild. And of course notable hot spots for these city wizards, are places like the One Eyed Wizard's Club. The manager only has one eye, and even though it is non existent to Muggles, any wizard passing by knows if is open 24/7. Enter the small temple, and be welcomed by "wizard trot" music and smoke from long pipes as wizards in robes are served drinks.

If you are looking for places further from the reach of Muggles, many "all wizard" villages exist in places like Jeollabuk-do, and Jeollanam-do evading hikers with Muggle repelling spells, and keeping highly populated wizard communities safe. Here there are villages such as Dippet Point, an English like settlement named for the Headmaster of Hogwarts who helped assist in the rebuild of Maseol and the further safety of wizards. It is highly populated and is know for it's Quidditch fanatics just after Seoul itself.

In Cheongsangnam-do there is also a high population of wizard communities. Instead of a few highly populated areas they have many small inhabitants, such as notable housings such as Ahnryeong Homes, founded by a Ministry department after the war in order to house all wizards gone loopy from curses or any other means. It is by the sea and very beautiful however the unfortunate circumstances of the war still linger. They also have other villages like Ginseng were they are known for making a special kind of insangju...though the bubbly purple color makes it clear to be the work of wizards.

And of course, on Jeju island where Maseol is hidden from sight of Muggles the ruins of a temple out of the permitted hiking range, is also the most well known Kim Han Village. It is hidden between a cluster of rocks and foliage making it undetectable and far from the hiking trails. Any wanderers are turned away by a charm to keep any Muggles from discovering it by mistake. It is greatly populated and even having a Zonko's and Honeydukes also established after the rebuild when international affairs became common. Maseol students love visiting Kim Han since it holds also a lot of mystery since there are temples dating back to the High Council that are rumoured to be haunted.

There are many "communities within a community" in South Korea as it is culture to nail living in big cities as a sign of status, however as the wizarding war not only divided the country, and killed many people, it also risked the exposure of Magic to the Muggle world. So for many older generations it is preferred to live in all wizarding villages. Even so, wizards have succeeded in thriving in secret from Muggles, and hope to do so in peace for a long time.
 
 
 
AUTHOR'S NOTE.Updated: this now features information on Wizarding Communities in Korea! Hey everyone!! I thought this was all starting to get too crowded on the forward and decided to just make a whole page for this sort of info (I'm low-key realizing this is like our own little version of Harry Potter Wikia^^), and I will be updating it once in a while with new facts and important aspects of the Korean Wizarding World to make it more realistic. As I have added faces to Maseol's Founders and expanded on the history of Maseol, I'll probably add more expanding information like a few magical beast things (Korean mythological creatures that exist along side ones we already know of from HP: e.g. Hippogriffes and Gumihoes both exist in this world I'm creating).