Of Trains and Walk-ins

Of Fire and Ice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wendy surveyed the interior of the train. The windows had nothing to show. It was the middle of the night, and it was pitch black. The moon was shrouded by clouds that threatened snow that no one wanted.

The train was simple. Exactly like any other KTX train. Except it was empty because it was owned by none other than SM Agency. It was illuminated by pre-installed lights and with a large, flatscreen t.v. built in to the ceiling. Unlike any other public transportation vehicles, this one had no hangers available for unfortunate passengers. Along with those differences, instead of the seats being hard and plastic and in a straight connected line, the seats in the train were separated and covered in soft cushion and sleek velvet with armrests included.

For what Wendy could only presume was for inconspicuousness, the exterior of the train looked like any other normal train. Just cleaner and shinier and newer and just a tad bit faster. Just a tad bit faster as in the difference of seventy miles per hour faster.

Wendy was sitting next to Irene near the electronic doors. The older woman was looking out of one of the black windows. She had an unreadable expression on her face. Her arms and legs were crossed and she was leaning back against the seat. She looked the epitome of relaxation. The fingers near the gun at her right hip said otherwise.

Wendy looked away from Irene to focus her attention on Seulgi. The woman had her eyes closed. Black headphones covered her ears as she seemingly slept. Wendy couldn’t help her thoughts returning to just hours before when the woman had sprung towards Han Jisoo who had been tied to the ticking bomb. Wendy had been surprised. It had obviously been a spur of the moment decision, but the drive had been there. It had been stupid and reckless and thoughtless, but it had been for the best. She couldn’t deny that. After all, Irene had admitted that her stunt with the wires had been pure luck. Saving Han Jisoo had been the priority.

Joy and Yeri were sitting together. Joy was playing a game on her phone. Yeri was eating something that looked like bread. Wendy briefly wondered where the young girl had gotten it from. And suddenly, she was focusing solely on Yeri. Yeri was practically invisible. They were on the same team, and yet, Wendy nearly forgot about her. That was probably why she was put on stealth. Most likely. Yeri had no presence. She seemed to blend into the background or behind Joy most times. She was quiet. She was perfect for the part.

Joy was a different story. She was tall. She was intimidating. She was sarcastic. Out of the field it was impossible to think of her as a stealth agent. On the field, one could see why. She was graceful. She was sharp. She seemed to be able to see a minute ahead of events. Except for physical appearance, she was well-suited for the part.

Wendy let herself relax. The velvet cushions were nice. She thought back to half an hour ago when Lee had given them a briefing. It was a murder case. A man had been found dead in an alleyway. Park Chungsoo. He hadn’t been shot. He hadn’t been stabbed. He hadn’t been strangled. The only sign of his death had been his glazed eyes and the fact that his body lacked any blood. One hundred percent of the blood in his body had been drained. Further examination from the autopsy had confirmed it. However, they had found a small hole the diameter of a headphone jack that led deep inside the cavity of the man’s chest and into his heart. The doctors confirmed it as a suction. The dead body had been found in the position of a star. A maple leaf had been taped onto his chest. Right over his heart. The Head had immediately recognized it.

Lee had explained that they would be staying with the dead man’s wife, Park Sujin. The woman had apparently readily agreed to the five of them staying at her home for the duration of the investigation. She had said it was the right thing to do. Wendy knew it was so she could stay sane. To fight off the dark thoughts with five young strangers in the house. Healthy for her. Convenient for them.

Twenty-five more minutes.

 

The train slid to a stop. Seulgi opened her eyes. She took off her headphones and hung it around her neck. She grabbed her bag from underneath the admittedly comfy seat just as the electronic doors slid as smoothly open as the train did to a stop. Frigid air immediately gusted in. Outside, it was dark.

She was the first one off the train. With her free hand, she pulled up the collar of her jacket as much as she could. Then she quickly shoved her hand into her pocket. It was freezing. Snow blanketed the place like it was some giant’s bed. She enjoyed snow, but not when it had the ability to freeze her fingers off.

She heard the sounds of the others exiting the train. The sounds were muffled. The snow absorbed it all. Not too far off she could see the black silhouette of what she could rightly assume was the agency car. It blended into the background. If she hadn’t been actively searching for it, she would have missed it. SM Agency had its people everywhere. The Head and Lee made sure of that.

Seulgi walked ahead, feeling the snow crunch underneath her feet. She didn’t particularly enjoy interacting with people after sleep. She got cranky. So she walked alone. She could vaguely hear the small voices of the others behind her.

When Seulgi got closer, she realized it was a van. Agency issued nonetheless. The engine was still running. Probably so whoever was in there wouldn’t freeze to death. A guy stepped out of the driver’s seat. He was tall and lean and in the agency-given winter coat. She could tell he wasn’t old. Probably middle-age. The way he carried himself said it all. Seulgi heard the others catch up behind her.

“You guys Red Velvet?”

That was unexpected. Seulgi opened . Paused. Finally spoke. “Uhm, yes.”

The man nodded before extending a hand. Seulgi handed over her bag. He opened the door for her before moving to the back of the van. The interior was familiar. She took a seat at the other end. No need to be a jerk. The van’s heater was at full blast, and Seulgi took off her coat. It was too warm for that now. The others promptly filed in. They gave small sighs of relief. Wendy sat next to her. Irene next to Wendy then Joy and Yeri behind them. The guy slid into the driver’s seat last before taking the gear stick off park to drive. They were off.

 

Park Sujin was waiting in the living room. She was tapping her fingers on the couch’s leather armrest. She was anxious. The familiar sound of her doorbell rang through the house. They were here. Park Sujin shot up from her seat on the couch before rushing over to the door. She opened it. Five females were standing at her doorstep. There was snow in their hair, on their clothes. They were holding one bag each. They looked tired. Park Sujin invited them in.

Five minutes later they were all seated in the living room. Park Sujin had made them cups of tea. There was one couch that would seat four, and two armchairs. Park Sujin sat in one. The oth

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter