Of Hotels and Breaking News

Of Fire and Ice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: The support for the comeback of this story was overwhelming. I'm glad so many of you decided to stick around! Comments are extremely helpful in the writing process as well as upvotes if you think this story deserves it! Thank you so much for the support! I hope you enjoy! Cheetolord out!

~~

Breaking News

Kang Seulgi and Bae Irene of SM Agency has been reported to be relieved of their duties for causes unknown. There are extensive investigations being conducted at the moment. Furthermore, there are several questions unanswered. Why the two of their best agents? What could they have possibly done? Or was it their decision to leave of their own accord?

 

Irene leaned back into the furnished sofa of the hotel room. A hotel because of their strict security measures. Also, because people would expect them to be in a run down motel in hiding. Perfect for cover and luxury.

The building itself was a shiny golden infrastructure that glinted in the sunlight and made you see spots for the next ten minutes. The lobby was overly fancy and the employees looked like robots made to please with false smiles and sugared words. Their room had the best view and furniture that probably cost more than Irene’s lifetime of work. It was both fancy and comfortable. A combination hard to find.

It couldn’t get any better than this.

Seulgi was sitting in front of the desk across the room. She looked serious. She could hear the tell-tale clacking of the laptop’s keyboard. Irene looked back at the t.v. screen. They were the headlines. Irene wasn’t vain, but she thought her picture was pretty good for an ID. Seulgi’s was just as good. Maybe better.

“They’re acting like we’re fugitives or something.”

“We are in their eyes.”

“Imagine the conspiracy theories.”

“Imagine the agency’s Twitter.”

Seulgi settled beside her. Irene caught the glow of the laptop screen in the corner of her eye. She glanced at it. There was an article with their photos plastered underneath the words Lesbian Lovers?.

Irene snorted. Seulgi looked startled. She quickly looked away. A second later, the phone rang like saving grace. Irene bolted up. Crossed the room and put it to her ear.

“Hello?”

“Are you guys settled down yet?”

Lee’s voice. It was more familiar over the phone that it was face-to-face. It sounded better over speakers and devices. More gravelly. Irene wondered what she sounded like over the phone. Probably not as good. Maybe like a five-year-old, maybe an eighty-five-year-old. Either way, not good.

“Yes. Starlight Hotel. I’m sure you’ve heard of it.”

“Smart. I’ll keep you periodically updated. Keep your heads down for now. Tech’s working their asses off.”

“Okay.”

“Take care of each other.”

“No promises.”

Lee chuckled. They said their goodbyes.

Irene settled back down on the couch. Seulgi didn’t ask questions. Agents were skilled in observing one-sided conversations, it was pretty much part of the job. The news reporter was talking about another car crash on another side of the road. At least it wasn’t their faces.

A minute. Then, Seulgi turned the laptop towards her. She was grinning. Irene wasn’t sure whether that was good or bad. It could go either way with someone like her. She checked for herself.

It was bad.

“They’re pretty spot on, don’t you think?”

Another news report. A headline that read Love Triangle? with their faces and Wendy’s collaged underneath. Hilarious. Irene pushed it away, looked at Seulgi.

“Where are they getting these ideas from?”

“Come on, don’t you think it’s hot? Three gorgeous secret agents in a love triangle? You have to admit, that’d be a pretty badass plot.”

“You’re delusional.”

“One can only wish.”

Irene turned off the television. Stood up and walked to her luggage and pulled it open. She hefted out a book and a packet of instant coffee. Two minutes later she was sitting against the headrest sipping her drink and reading words off a page.

The night dragged on.

 

Wendy wasn’t sure if it was night or day. It could be both. She didn’t dwell on the idea. Her fingers flew over the keyboard of their own accord. Her eyes were getting foggy. She blinked it away. She wasn’t sure if it was because of the coffee and energy drink or sleep deprivation. Probably all of them combined.

“Hey, we should take a break.”

The voice almost sounded muffled. It cleared by the last word. It took a second for her to get herself together. She let her hands drop to her sides and peeled her eyes away from the screen. Another second before her brain could get its beari

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter