Of Secrets and Undercover Operations

Of Fire and Ice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi couldn’t face Wendy. Or anyone else for that matter. It was too painful. There was too much guilt. So, she avoided them. She was sure it wasn’t too obvious. It wasn’t like they had been that close in the first place. Seulgi spent most of her time in her room. She avoided leaving it.

She couldn’t help but feel like a betrayer. She looked down at the picture of her mother. Her mother whom she had no memories of. Her mother who was the leader and potential founder of a notorious organization.

Then, she was called up to Lee’s office.

Seulgi had known this day would come. Lee looked stern and pensive, a man accustomed to uncomfortable situations. Seulgi was sure he wasn’t anywhere near used to something like this. She was proven right when the silence dragged on for another minute. She cleared and spoke.

“I’m guessing you’re giving me my mission.”

Lee looked up through light lashes. They looked oddly heavy for their color. “Yes.”

Seulgi swallowed. She pushed on. “And I’m also guessing you want me to go into the Maple Leaf undercover to my . . . mother.”

Lee’s expression didn’t falter. Seulgi was glad he didn’t think lowly of her. It would have been depressingly embarrassing. “Yes. Now, it’s up to you whether to take this mission or not. I will not force you to take it.”

A beat. That was all it took for the gears to shift and logic to take place.

“I’ll do it. I want to - no, I need to do it.”

An almost indiscernible smile flitted across Lee’s face. “I thought as much. You’ve always been a commendable agent, Kang. However, there’s one more thing. You will not be doing this alone.”

Seulgi felt panic threaten to spill over. She gripped the edges of the chair. “No. They can’t know. Please. Lee, don’t.”

Lee looked sorrowful. His harsh blue eyes looked more like soft snow. “Seulgi, I know you’ve been working alone for a long time. But working with your team the past few months, I know you understand the value of teamwork by now. There are things that one person can do, and then there are things that can’t be done by you alone. You need the support for something like this - physically and emotionally.”

Seulgi knew he was right. She respected the man. He was always on top of things, always caring for his agents, and the sharpest tool in the shed. She decided to relax a bit and think things through. Emotions were stupid and dangerous, and Seulgi didn’t do stupid.

“They’ll hate me,” she said.

Lee didn’t sugarcoat. Another thing Seulgi liked about him. “Maybe. But they’ll come around.”

Seulgi closed her eyes. She took a deep breath. It was a weird feeling. When did she start caring about what other people thought? She realized that in the span of few months, the four had snuck into her isolated heart. She opened her eyes.

“I hate you,” she growled.

Lee smiled. “You’re welcome.”

 

Yeri paced in front of the medical ward’s entrance. They had managed to save the children inside of the orphanage. They had managed to save Saeron. Saeron had been like a younger sister to her. She was younger than Yeri was by a year, and she had come in when she was fourteen.

Yeri had saved the girl from being bullied by the other kids. Just like Joy had done for her countless times before. Saeron, rather than sticking with Yeri, had decided to fend for herself. Yeri had respected that, but had kept a small part of her heart for the younger girl.

“Are you here to see a friend?”

Yeri turned to see a tall man in a white coat. He had on glasses and a warm smile. He was holding a clipboard and a pen in his hands.

“A patient. Kim Saeron. Age sixteen.”

“Ah, one of the children from the orphanage. Follow me. I can help you out.”

Yeri nodded. The man led the way inside. The smell of antiseptics flooded her senses. Nurses and doctors walked through the hallways, nodding at the man in front of her and then smiling at her. They stopped in front of a series of doors.

“You should be able to find your friend here, agent. You are an agent, right?”

Yeri nodded.

“I thought so. Well, good luck.”

“Thank you,” Yeri said.

Yeri took a deep breath. She shifted one foot to another then decided to grow up and walk inside. She closed the door behind her then looked around. The room was fairly large with several hospital beds and ghostly white cu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter