Of Java and Awkwardness

Of Fire and Ice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So, the Hellfire Angel, huh?”

Seulgi looked over at the tall, intimidating girl walking next to her. Short, dark hair and intelligently sharp eyes. She was only nineteen so technically, she was still a girl, not a woman. However, a much older, mature appearance than her age would call for. Seulgi was known as the Hellfire Angel, but Joy was something else. Not that she would admit that outloud.

“Yeah, I guess.”

Joy snorted. “I’ve seen you around before, but I had a…higher expectation of you. Literally.”

Seulgi ground her teeth, self consciously raked her fingers through strands of blonde. “Obviously, height doesn’t have anything to do with talent and me kicking .”

Joy laughed loudly and nodded as if in approval. “Nice one. I’m Joy, by the way.”

Seulgi reigned in the spite. Eventually offered a smile. “Seulgi.”

“And this is Yeri. My partner in crime.”

Seulgi bit her lip to refrain from laughing. They were an odd pair. She looked from Joy to Yeri and then back again. “Well, let’s work well together.”

“Let’s.”

It grew silent again. Seulgi slowly let her gaze drift to the two women in front of them—particularly the Ice Angel. Ever since she had joined the agency nine years ago, she had indirectly been pitted against Irene. She only knew that the girl was a complete genius on the field, and that she was known for her flawless strategies and cold, hard logic. 

The woman beside the Ice Angel was a different story. She knew Wendy from bumping into her days after the girl joined the agency. Was probably the most warm-hearted person she’d ever met. How she and Irene became close was a mystery.

Seulgi was aware of the stares they were attracting. The agents’ gazes seemed to slide right off of Joy and Yeri and onto her. She wasn’t sure if it was because of her fame, or the way Joy and Yeri tended to blend into the background. 

They entered the food court—Seulgi’s favorite place. The roof was a large, glass dome that revealed the bright blue sky and warm sunlight. Other agents and workers of SM Agency roamed the place, chatting amiably, laughing as they did so. Seulgi realized that they were headed to the cafe. 

It was one of the most popular places in the agency’s enormous building, known for its comfortable furniture and exquisite foods and beverages. Seulgi frequented the place whenever she was in need of some caffeine or a relaxing atmosphere after an action-packed mission. Which meant very often.

She glanced at Irene who led them towards it. She hadn’t been ecstatic about the fact that the girl had become the leader of their group, but she couldn’t help but admit that the girl was their best bet. It had been obvious from the beginning anyway. She knew that she would have looked an idiot if she had rejected the proposal. 

Irene took a seat outside of the cafe where there weren’t as many people. Seulgi joined her. Sat across from the girl while Joy and Yeri filled in the remaining seats. Wendy was already sitting beside Irene. The air around them became awkward. Seulgi’s eyes flitted from one person to the other as the silence lengthened and intensified. She found herself letting out a breath of relief when a familiar voice broke it.

“Welcome to Java! What can I get for you lovely ladies?”

“Hey, Minho,” Seulgi greeted.

“Seulgi, hey! You didn’t come yesterday like you promised.” 

Minho was a cheerful character. All smiles and friendly persona. He worked as an all-around person in Java, popular with the patrons that frequented it, and one of Seulgi’s closest friends.

“Yeah, sorry about that. Something came up.”

Minho nodded understandingly. “No problem. You’re here now, right? So, what can I get you?”

“I’d like a caramel macchiato.”

“Iced coffee.”

“Milk and strawberry shortcake!” Yeri abruptly yelled.

“Hot chocolate, please!”

“Espresso.”

Minho’s pen flew over the notepad. Took less than five seconds then looked up, friendly smile ever present. “One caramel macchiato, an iced coffee, milk and strawberry shortcake,” he winked at Yeri. Joy shot him a murderous glare. “Hot chocolate, and an espresso. Would that be all?”

“Yeah. Thanks, Minho.”

“Of course. I’ll be back with your orders shortly.” 

Minho left and silence threatened to blanket them again. Irene abruptly brought out the file, placed it in the center of the table. “There are job descriptions for each of us in there. Take a look.”

Seulgi reached out and opened it. Rifled through the papers before finding hers. It was the same as any other job description she’d received over the years. Protect, take down, and kill if necessary. She handed the file to Joy, skimmed through the rest of the thick sheet of paper, and put it down. The file had been passed around. Seulgi watched as the others nodded their heads as they read.

“Here are your drinks!” Minho announced.

Seulgi looked up to see Minho with a tray in one hand and a plate with a slice of cake in the other. Before she could get up to help, she heard the sound of a chair being pushed back. Wendy took the cake from Minho, all smiles as she placed it in front of Yeri before helping to distribute the rest of the beverages around. Of course it would be Wendy.

Minho looked pleasantly surprised before grinning again. “Thank you for the help! I hope you all enjoy the drinks. Call me if you need anything!”

“Thanks, we will,” Seulgi said.

She grabbed her caramel macchiato the moment he left. Took a sip and smiled. Just how she liked it. Not too sweet unlike some other cafes she’d been to. She put her drink down and surve

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter