016

Knowing

Chapter 16.

Some truths are loyal, as the shadows we lead. Some truths are stubborn like gravity.
No matter what category you fit into. Truth got its sight set on you.

They took the bus down to the city that morning and the boys were dressed in their basketball shirts with various teams and some boys cheered because they matched, either having the same team or the same player. Taeyong though was dressed in a v-necked white t-shirt, black ripped jeans and sneakers. He wore a black cap over his hair and had a jacket drawn over his shoulder lazily. Jaehyun glanced down his own body, he wore a red t-shirt with a white print on it saying ‘Yeah, I know.’ He wore his light blue ripped jeans and white sneakers. He thought he looked great today. Taeyong’s eyes scanned him from top to toe before he stopped beside him. Jaehyun already had his headset in his hand, plugged into his phone and his favorite playlist ready to be played. Jaehyun though suddenly felt that awkward and he hid it away in his pocket. They got on the bus and Taeyong dropped down beside Jaehyun, Yuta sat in the front of the bus, Ten and Johnny sat together beside them and Mark and Hansol were seated in front of them. Taeyong took out his headset and Jaehyun felt hopeful for being able to wear his too, when Taeyong placed one ear bud in his hand.

  “What?” Jaehyun asked and Taeyong flashed a smile. If Jaehyun would describe the feeling he felt it would be butterflies, but he didn’t want them to be there so he chased them the hell out of his body.

  “There’s a song I want you to hear.” He spoke softly and Jaehyun put it in his ear and looked at Taeyong and noticed that his background was of a cloudy sky where the picture said: You’ll be okay.

Jaehyun looked at Taeyong and noticed the corner of the other’s mouth twitch upwards as he scrolled through his playlist and Jaehyun smiled when he saw a lot of IU songs.

  “You like her too?” He smiled and Taeyong looked up.

  “You like IU?” He asked and Jaehyun nodded.

  “She has the best voice.” He said in argument and Taeyong nodded and smiled.

Taeyong stopped scrolling and chose one song. Jaehyun read the title, it said ‘Human’. Jaehyun squinted when the song started playing, he had heard this one before. A long time ago, this was an old but loved song.

   “I really love this!” He smiled and grabbed Taeyong’s phone to look through his playlist called ‘Comfort’, how cheesy.

  “The Killers.” Taeyong said and pointed out another song by them. “I like their songs.”

Jaehyun smiled. This was nice.

Taeyong chose another song by The Killers and the two of them rocked along to ‘Somebody Told Me’. Jaehyun liked to watch Taeyong lip-sync to the music and he glanced out the window feeling his heart swell.

If only he had the courage, but he weren’t strong. He had never been…

 

 

 

Jaehyun blinked when an object flew through the room and he heard Ten scream out when he nearly was hit by it. His mother stood in the room and Jaehyun wasn’t wearing a shirt and Ten’s pants were ed and the two of them looked terrified. Ten’s mom stormed over towards Jaehyun who didn’t move away, but he didn’t defend himself either when her hand crossed his cheek. Ten though didn’t hesitate and pried her off Jaehyun while crying out for her to stop, but the things she said and how many times she hit Ten, Jaehyun thought death would have been kinder to Ten.

She screamed for Ten’s father to come and Jaehyun quickly pulled on his shirt and tried to hand Ten’s his, but Ten searched for comfort in Jaehyun’s arms which only enraged the woman even more.

  “Don’t you dare act like that!” She shrieked and Ten cried out when her nails dug into his arm and she dragged him away from Jaehyun. “You leave! Right now!”

Jaehyun had shrunk into a very small person that very day and he left the room while being chased out by two people who had always been so kind to him, but now they treated him like he was something bad, like a decease. Ten looked at him pleadingly, as if he didn’t want to be alone with his parents and Jaehyun knew the other needed him but still he obliged and exited the house, looking up to meet Ten’s gaze before the door closed and then he heard Ten scream.

Jaehyun knocked on the door, he shouldn’t have stepped out and he heard noise he definitely didn’t want to hear. Violence was something Jaehyun had never known in his home and it scared him greatly to see that people could hurt the ones they loved like that.

Ten didn’t come to school the next day, Jaehyun fled his father’s gaze when he was called by Ten’s parents and he hid beneath his comforter when his father entered his room. The two of them had always been close, but Jaehyun had been closer to his mother. His bed dipped down, and his father sighed deeply, and Jaehyun stirred beneath the blanket, peeking up at his father who had his night lamp.

  “You and Ten.” He said. “What you did, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that.”

Jaehyun almost didn’t have to hear more, he sat up and waited for his father to speak, because he knew that the other was going to say more.

  “But you’re too young for this. 14 year olds shouldn’t really do that, but what did I do when I was your age?” His father chuckled. “Do you love Ten?” He asked.

  “He’s my best friend.” Jaehyun answered and his father hummed in reply.

  “Would you marry Ten?” He then asked and Jaehyun thought that was a crazy question to ask someone who was 14.

  “No, but I couldn’t live without him.” He said and his father frowned.

  “Don’t say that.” He said with a sad tone in his voice. “Never put your life in the hands of someone else. You must be independent, loyal, but independent. People come and go, people leave and people die-” Jaehyun knew his father was speaking of his mother and as soon as he had said that he gripped Jaehyun’s hand and Jaehyun squeezed his father’s hand. “You need to live for yourself, but that doesn’t mean you can’t sometimes put your ego away while helping someone else. It’s about balance.”

And that was what Jaehyun thought as Ten started in school again, he fought too hard to smile and not even Johnny the Sophomore kid could cheer up Ten anymore. Jaehyun’s father’s words echoed in his head as he let his hand land on Ten’s thigh and Ten looked up at him with eyes that spoke more than words did.

Jaehyun went to a psychologist and Ten did too, but Jaehyun found out that it wasn’t too bad and Ten cried every time he had been there. Jaehyun knew Ten wasn’t having nice talks, but he was being told to be someone else, to erase a part of himself that he had treasured.

Then one day Ten stopped crying and Jaehyun didn’t see him cry again until that time at the party.

 

 

 

Ten now was smiling, he was laughing and Johnny’s hand was on his thigh and Ten didn’t seem to think that anything about it was wrong. It was also different. Jaehyun didn’t know how to describe it, but he had never wanted to be a couple, still he had needed Ten in some way. With Taeyong it was a little different, but here he was, once again denying the fact of actually getting together. Jaehyun knew there was something behind it, some deep scar he didn’t quite want to acknowledge. He glanced at Taeyong who was finding another song for them to listen and he wondered how much pain he was putting Taeyong through. Was the pain really worth it?

 

 

 

Taeyong, Jaehyun and Hansol enjoyed the small village; it was full of small shops and restaurants, being a village that most of the people camping went to. They tried on sunglasses that was too small and took pictures of each other wearing them. They tried funny hats and dared each other to buy embarrassing t-shirts with bad English on it. Taeyong lost the bet and bought a shirt saying; BE DANCED, OR DANCE. It was grey with the print in red and Taeyong decided to wear it for the joke to be fulfilled. Jaehyun couldn’t stop saying it because it sounded so stupid. He had to translate some of the shirts for the others to understand how completely stupid it sounded, but they really had a great time.

Except the thought of Yuta shopping in another shop alone kept nagging at him. He noticed Hansol glance back once, as if wanting to see if the other was alright. Jaehyun could see it on Taeyong too, the pain of being played like that by a best friend must be really excruciating and then the one who was the cause of it didn’t want him either. Jaehyun tried to ease the other’s pain by talking to him whenever his gaze seemed to fix on the ground and that gloomy shadow crossed his face. Taeyong looked up with a smile and once Jaehyun took the chance of letting his fingers run down the other’s arm and to his hand, pulling at the other to follow Jaehyun and Hansol into a shop. Taeyong looked up with a lost expression, probably realizing he had stopped mid-walk and that Jaehyun was actually holding his hand. Jaehyun felt his heart ache, he doubted his choice.

 

 

 

They had gone past the courts once, bragging about how much fun they had to the other players while cheering on them too. Ten ran over to the fence and gripped onto it loosely. Jaehyun took himself in gripping onto it right at that place too, their fingers laced. Ten beamed and opened his mouth for Jaehyun to feed him some of the candy he was eating through the fence. Jaehyun pulled his hand back to himself and chose something for Ten giving it to him and Ten’s teeth graced his fingers and the other smiled cheerfully. Ten looked to the side before his smile seemed to falter. Jaehyun turned to look the same way but only met the gaze of an exaggeratedly smiling Taeyong. He had missed something, but he didn’t have the time to think about it because Mark and Jaemin were making puppy eyes and begging for him to give them some of his candy. Hansol laughed while feeding Johnny through the fence, teasing him by pulling his hand back too early and Johnny pouted.

 

 

 

Around dinner time they were heading towards the restaurant when they bumped into Yuta whose eyes were red and he wasn’t looking where he was walking while sobbing to himself and Jaehyun caught the smaller before he fell. “Yuta what’s wrong?” Taeyong asked worriedly and Yuta looked up at him before bursting into tears once again and Taeyong and Jaehyun shared a gaze.

The two of them pulled Yuta up on his feet and Hansol helped them with finding a small park, like it was literally only two trees and a few bushes and two benches, but it was deserted so they could talk in private. They put Yuta on the bench and Hansol sat down beside him, Taeyong decided to do too, but Jaehyun kept standing which only made Yuta keep his head down. Jaehyun looked at Taeyong and Hansol for help and Taeyong mouthed for him to sit down. Hansol moved to sit on the ground and Jaehyun reluctantly took a seat beside Yuta. He was still angry with the other.

  “So-Some lady accused me for stealing!” Yuta finally said and hid his face in his hands. “I was just trying to spend some time in the shops so that I didn’t run into you guys and ruin your fun.”

Hansol sighed and ran a hand through his hair. Taeyong though looked at Jaehyun once again and Jaehyun felt guilty. “Are you sorry?” He decided to ask and Taeyong cocked a brow at him.

Yuta looked up and nodded. “I really, really am. I was stupid, I was a fool!” He cried and then immediately lowered his head when Jaehyun raised his hand a little. Jaehyun’s hand curled into a fist but instead of hitting Yuta he put it on the smaller’s head and caressed the other’s hair. Yuta stiffened.

  “Is being gay wrong?” He asked again and felt Taeyong’s gaze on him but he ignored the other.

Yuta shook his head. “It isn’t.” He sniffled and wiped his nose with the back of his hand. “Love is never wrong, unless the person has ill intentions.” Yuta groaned suddenly and all of them were startled. “I’m so sorry, Taeyong!” He cried again and Taeyong looked at his best friend with a grim look. “You too Jaehyun.” Yuta inhaled shakily. “I was desperate.” He explained and Hansol shook his head.

  “Desperate people to desperate things, but Yuta, that couldn’t have sounded like the right solution to anyone?”

Yuta looked at Hansol and shook his head. “One stupid move and Doyoung got the phone and as soon as he talks you obey, I was scared because all of sudden I was unable to turn back and I had already ruined enough.” He said gesturing to that night where Ten had ruined the moment by dragging Jaehyun out of the room, and Johnny had dragged Taeyong out of the house and chaos had erupted.

Hansol looked at Taeyong. “Damn, I’m so sorry for beating you up.” He said and Taeyong shook his head as if telling Hansol not to apologize.

  “I brought it upon myself.” He said and looked at Yuta. “Don’t ever love someone like that again, Yuta.” He said and Yuta nodded before scooting down from the bench and going on his knees.

  “I promise!” He said and Taeyong’s expression revealed to Jaehyun how that action brought him too much pain. Jaehyun wanted to reach out hand hold Taeyong’s hand again. Still he didn’t and after Yuta apologized once again Taeyong decided for them to start again, but he wanted to see Yuta tell Doyoung to off like he had done, which made Jaehyun wonder when he had done that.

They were heading towards the restaurant now as four, and Taeyong and Jaehyun were lacking behind Hansol and Yuta. Jaehyun looked at Taeyong and suddenly felt the other’s hand in his. He gave Taeyong a smile and the other looked relieved. Jaehyun had to ask. “Did you tell Doyoung to off?” He asked and Taeyong nodded, he laughed at the thought and Jaehyun tried to ignore the tickling feeling in his hand just from Taeyong’s touch.

  “This morning.” Taeyong said. “He was making a joke about you and asking if I would survive this day and I pushed him into the wall and told him to off.” Taeyong’s eyes widened in surprise, he had probably forgotten that fact. “I told him that if he ever tries to insult you again I wouldn’t hesitate with beating him up.” Taeyong avoided Jaehyun’s gaze and Jaehyun once again really doubted his choice.

 

 

 

Dinner was fairly awkward, Yuta was still very silent but Hansol managed to get him to talk. Taeyong and Jaehyun sat side by side, playing with their sodas and for the fun of it taking those drawing books for children and coloring in them while waiting for the food.

The dinner really went well, and the group went to the basket court and found the others sitting with food and eating too. Taeyong noticed Yuta go over and sit with Doyoung and he stopped Jaehyun from walking over to Ten and Johnny. “Hey, I’ll go over and check on Yuta.” He said and Jaehyun noticed Taeyong’s expression change when he looked at Jaehyun. For a moment Jaehyun knew his face had revealed how he didn’t like that. Taeyong’s hand found his and he squeezed it. “You know what, I’ll come with you.” He said and pulled Jaehyun with him towards his friends. Jaehyun closed his eyes and cursed every god for putting him in this situation.

Mark was talkative as always, and Jaehyun pointed out Taeyong’s shirt which made everyone in the group laugh. Ten was crying.

Mark looked at Johnny. “BE DANCED, OR DANCE!” He said and Johnny joined in on it mid-way which made it sound like a motto.

  “It’s almost better than be there or be square!” Johnny laughed and Taeyong chuckled. Then they suddenly heard Yuta yell something.

  “Will you for one moment get a life and get off Jaehyun’s back?!” Jaehyun’s eyes widened as he noticed Yuta stand up. “I regret calling him those things, because I’m not an emotionless monster like you two.” He said and started walking away. “The picture is deleted by the way. So off.”

The corner’s of Taeyong’s lips curled up and he patted Jaehyun’s thigh. “Yuta never really curses.” He added to make Jaehyun know that Yuta really had went far for Jaehyun and Taeyong.

Yuta walked over to them and dropped down beside Hansol. Johnny looked at Yuta warningly. “What’s happening?” He asked and Hansol took the job to explain. Johnny still looked suspicious. “Man what time is this? Why are our enemies becoming our friends? What’s next?”

  “North Korea sends flowers?” Mark suggested and Johnny snorted.

  “Russia’s president Putin and Obama gets married.” Johnny said. Mark choked on his burger.

Somehow it wasn’t that hard to get a conversation going and Jaehyun knew that a friendship would start amongst them all. This was after all for the best.

 

 

Jaehyun welt his aching heart be a little comforted. He could manage the pain, he could manage life. It couldn't bring him down. It couldn't bring him more struggles than this... or so he thought.

 

 

A/N:

I really couldn't make them hate Yuta for long hahaha~ I love him too much. Jaehyun hasn't exactly forgiven him, but it will get better. And guys I literally found a t-shirt with the writing: BE DANCED OR DANCE and I want it. It's hilarious!
 - The next chapter will be chaos and angst so prepare yourselves. o-o 

Promised to update because the last chapter was short but this is not haha, hope you enjoyed it. <3

Okay, so the poll definitely showed Jaehyun to be top, BUT a lot wanted Taeyong too and both of them topping seemed really popular too.
I think I'll do both, thank you all for helping me haha. I'll take it when it comes to it, but I have an idea haha~ 
 - Again, again I can't thank you enough for all the love and all your lovely comments. <33

Love,
Emma. <3