Chapter 1

Love That Wasn't Supposed To Happen

Kyungsoo sighed as he smoothed all the wrinkles out of his bed. He looked out the window and onto the gardens below to see his two younger siblings run about, trying to catch each other. A small smile made its way onto his face. A knock on the door disrupted his peaceful thoughts. He turned toward the door and called out to the person.
"Who is it?"
"It's me your Highness."
Kyungsoo immediately identified the voice as Seokjin, one of the servants.
"Come in."
The door slowly opened and Seokjin's head poked around the door. Kyungsoo softly smiled. Even though Kyungsoo has told Seokjin multiple times that he can enter his room he still refuses, believing it is not right.
"Your Highness, it is time for dinner."
Kyungsoo nodded as he exited his room, walking alongside Seokjin towards the dining hall.
"What about my siblings? Have they been told?"
"Ah, yes your Highness. Taehyung went out there to tell them."
Kyungsoo nodded, letting silence blanket them but not for too long.
"Is anyone joining us for dinner?"
Seokjin looked at him with worried eyes, "Yes, your Highness. Your fiance, along with the prince from the fire kingdom and the prince from the light kingdom."
Kyungsoo froze in his tracks as he looked straight ahead.
"Chanyeol is here?"
Kyungsoo didn't expect Seokjin to hear but of course he did as he answered, "Yes, your Highness, along with his fiance from the light kingdom."
Kyungsoo turned to look at Seokjin with sadness clouding his eyes.
"Chanyeol is to be wedded off to the prince from the light kingdom?"
Seokjin sadly nodded, "Yes, your Highness. Just like you are to be wedded off to the prince of the teleportation kingdom."
Kyungsoo nodded, straightening back up and continued walking to the dining hall. Seokjin trailed behind, worried for how Kyungsoo would act.
When Kyungsoo arrived at the dining hall he saw his parents sitting at two ends of the table, while the mothers of the other prince's sat beside Kyungsoo's mother and the fathers sat beside Kyungsoo's father. His fiance, Jongin, was sitting next to one of his younger siblings, the seat to the left of Jongin was unoccupied. Chanyeol and his fiance, along with another older man, sat on the other side of the table. Kyungsoo was knocked out of his trance when his younger siblings ran up to him and hugged him, shouting his name.
"Soosoo!!!!"
"Kyungie!!!"
Kyungsoo pushed a smile onto his face as he knelt down and hugged his siblings, giving them a peck on the forehead.
After that, Kyungsoo lead his siblings back to their seats, taking his own. Jongin leaned over and pecked him on the cheek. Shocked, Kyungsoo turned to look at him, only to have Jongin lean in and peck him on the lips. Kyungsoo averted his gaze to Chanyeol to see his jaw become tense and anger flicker across his eyes. Kyungsoo pushed it back and smiled, greeting the guests. After a while of talking, the food arrived. Kyungsoo smiled at the sight of the food and set about to eating.
When dinner was over, Kyungsoo went back to his room. Once he entered, he saw Seokjin preparing a bath.
"Ah thank you, Seokjin."
Seokjin nodded and pointed towards the cabinet under the sink. He walked up to Kyungsoo and whispered, "In that cabinet is a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and a pair of shoes."
Kyungsoo nodded and hugged him, then dismissed him so that he could get ready. Seokjin was Kyungsoo's best friend. Kyungsoo trusted and relied on him. And Seokjin knows that Kyungsoo doesn't want to get married to Jongin.
Kyungsoo wants to get married to Chanyeol.
Kyungsoo first met the clumsy giant idiot at the grand meeting. Kyungsoo fell in love with Chanyeol's loudness and clumsiness and giant ears. Kyungsoo was hoping he would be wedded off to him but instead his parents picked Jongin, the handsome, model-like prince. Don't get him wrong, Kyungsoo would agree that Jongin was handsome but he was in love with Chanyeol.
One day at a grand meeting, during break time, Chanyeol pulled Kyungsoo into the bathroom and told Kyungsoo that he was in love with him. So, ever since the day that he found out about the news, he would sneak out at night to go meet Chanyeol.
Kyungsoo got out of the bath and quickly dried himself, putting on the clothes Seokjin had supplied him with. He checked to make sure he looked at least decent, then made his way towards the window. Yeah, his room was high from the ground but he was always prepared. He pulled out his rope from under the bed and walked out to the balcony, tying the rope tightly around the rails. He dropped the rope over the rails, the tip of it barely touching the ground. He looked back towards his bedroom door then looked back outside, checking to make sure none of the guards were around. Once the coast was clear, he slowly and cautiously descended the rope. He didn't have to worry about the rope being seen because Seokjin would come to put the rope back. And then at around 4 in the morning, Seokjin would put the rope out for Kyungsoo to climb back up. Once Kyungsoo touched the ground, he looked around again, making sure no guards were around then ran away from the castle towards the woods. The woods was the border between the earth kingdom and the fire kingdom.
When he arrived at the woods, he slowed down to a walk. He walked towards the middle of the woods, which oddly was clear of any vegetation expect for one lonely tree stump. This clearing was shaped like a circle. There were trees circling the perimeter of the circle and the tree stump was smack in the middle. It was odd but at the same time very breathtakingly beautiful. The moonlight shone down on the clearing making it seem as if an angel was decending from Heaven. Kyungsoo was snapped out of his thoughts when he heard rustling from behind him. He turned around, on guard, his leg raised in the air, ready to bring it down if needed. The rustling stopped and out emerged Chanyeol. Kyungsoo sighed, slowly bringing his leg down. Chanyeol smiled and walked over to him, giving him a tight hug and a kiss to the forehead. Kyungsoo smiled and wrapped his arms around Chanyeol's waist, giving a light kiss to Chanyeol's collarbone. Chanyeol giggled and squirmed until he pulled away. Chanyeol had a wide smile on his face as he pinched Kyungsoo's nose.
On instinct, Kyungsoo wrinkled his nose and slapped Chanyeol's hand away, pouting ever so slightly. Chanyeol laughed and pulled Kyungsoo into another hug, leading him towards the tree stump.
They sat near the tree stump in silence, Kyungsoo leaning against Chanyeol, picking at the grass and Chanyeol with an arm around Kyungsoo's shoulder, giving him kisses here and there. Then Kyungsoo had a question. He sat up and faced Chanyeol.
"Chanyeol."
Chanyeol cocked his head to the side, showing that he was listening.
Are you... Are you gonna get married to the prince from the light kingdom?"
By the time Kyungsoo finished his sentence, it was barely a whisper. Luckily, Chanyeol heard and he looked down, then back up at Kyungsoo before pulling him close. He rested his forehead on Kyungsoo's before whispering back, "I am."
Kyungsoo nodded and pulled back. Chanyeol pulled Kyungsoo back towards him. Kyungsoo didn't fight back and fell onto Chanyeol, adjusting himself a little so that he was leaning into Chanyeol. Chanyeol wrapped his arm around Kyungsoo's shoulder again and kissed the top of his head. Kyungsoo wrapped his arms around Chanyeol's waist, wishing they could stay that way forever.
"Hey, Kyungsoo."
Chanyeol's voice was a little muffled, considering his face was buried into Kyungsoo's hair.
"Yeah?"
"We should run away together."
Kyungsoo thought about it and honestly, the idea was more than appealing to him, but he just couldn't leave. He couldn't leave his little siblings behind and he couldn't leave his kingdom behind.
Not when he was the next in line for king.
"Chanyeol, you know we can't."
Chanyeol sighed and nodded, tightening his grip on Kyungsoo's shoulder.
"Right, of course, it was just a rhetorical question."
Kyungsoo didn't respond. He just tightened his hold on Chanyeol's waist and kissed his shoulder, looking up at the star filled sky. Chanyeol raised his hand to Kyungsoo's chin and tilted it upwards towards him, so that they were now facing each other. Chanyeol was searching Kyungsoo's eyes for anything as he spoke, "But even if I marry Baekhyun, it doesn't mean my feelings for you will change. I mean you can be mean at times and pull at my ears and hit me but I still love you."
Kyungsoo smiled sadly and nodded, grabbing Chanyeol by the cheeks and pulling him down to kiss him.
"And even if I marry Jongin, my feelings for you won't change. Even if you can be so stupid at times, I love you."
Chanyeol nodded and kissed Kyungsoo a bit more fiercely, hoping to soothe Kyungsoo's worries.
They pulled away, breathless, and Kyungsoo smiled, smacking Chanyeol lightly on the chest. Chanyeol grabbed at his chest in mock pain and broke out into a big, goofy smile when Kyungsoo leaned up to kiss him on the cheek.
Chanyeol wrapped his arm around Kyungsoo's shoulder and pulled him close. They laid down on the ground, Kyungsoo's arm on Chanyeol's waist, his head on Chanyeol's shoulder. Chanyeol peppered light kisses on Kyungsoo's head as they looked up at the stars, wishing for a future together.