For Us

For Us

 

The view outside the patio was breathtaking and that was the reason Krystal could not tear her gaze from there. Creamy white waved gently caressed the seashore time after time, while there, in the distant, the clear blue sky met with the deep blue sea water at the horizon. Two cups of hot chocolate lied on the coffee table next to Krystal.

So peaceful in here.

Krystal turned her head when she heard the glass door behind her slide open.

‘Hey, there you’re,’ Kai approached her and took the seat at the empty chair next to the coffee table. ‘Don’t you feel cold?’ Kai asked when he saw Krystal was on thin layer of spring dress.

Krystal rubbed her arms and all of sudden the spring breezy felt colder.

‘You shouldn’t have mentioned that, now it felt cold,’ she pouted.

Kai laughed and he stood up to take off his cardigan and draped it onto Krystal’s shoulder.

‘Better?’ he asked. Krystal nodded. ‘Good.’ With that Kai sat back down to his chair.

‘Don’t you felt cold yourself?’ Krystal asked.

‘I’m wearing long sleeves sweatshirt, ok?’ Kai raised his arm to show his long sleeved arm.

‘But you’re wearing short,’ Krystal pointed his army knee length short.

‘It’s okay though,’ Kai shrugged.

Both of them fall silent, they were simply enjoyed each other presence, the moment that they usually share when they did not have anything to say.

‘Are you happy?’ Kai asked after sometimes of silence. Krystal nodded as she sipped her hot chocolate. ‘Are you still happy if we’re married?’

Krystal turned her head to the side almost immediately and put down her mug.

‘What is it?’  she asked.

Kai did not even look at her; he simply stared at the distance.

‘Is my Mum again?’ she asked again.

Kai slowly shook his head, he was almost sure about his decision but he needed to make sure that this was the right one, that Krystal indeed felt that way.

‘Sooner or later we needed to talk about this, don't you think?’ instead of replying her question Kai asked her.

‘I swear Kai, if this about my Mum , you no need to worry—‘

‘No’ Kai cut Krystal, he leaned back to the back rest and continued. ‘I think this is the right time for us to talk about ourselves.’

‘What do you mean?’ Krystal turned to the side, only to find Kai was casually looking at her.

‘Our parents will soon decide our wedding day,’ Kai stated.

‘Then what do you mean with “No”? it’s about my Mum right? And is there anything to talk about?’ Krystal furrowed, as far as she aware, their fate—more like her fate—was already decided when their parents set up marriage between the two families because she was too old to be single and every human being had to marry—as her parents belief.

‘I think we can do something,’ Kai shrugged and he almost sure he could see spark in Krystal eyes and the fear he felt all these while slowly resurfaced, again.

‘Do something? Like what? Cancel the wedding? Can you do that?’ Krystal enthusiastically asked. She turned her body so she was facing Kai right now.

‘Do you want me to cancel the wedding?’ Kai asked, if Krystal sensitive enough, she should notice hurting tone in his voice but her excitement covered everything, and the tone left unnoticed.

‘Don’t you want to?’ Krystal asked back.

Kai did not reply, he was just silently studied the girl next to him. He would regret this.

‘If you want to, I’ll talk to them.’

‘Really? You will?’ Krystal clasped her hands. ‘But seriously though, can we really cancel the wedding? I thought it already decided.’

‘We can cancel it right now; I mean before they fixed the date, otherwise we don’t have a chance.’

‘All these while I thought they already fixed the date.’ Krystal huffed a relieve sigh. If Kai was true, then there was possibility for her to run away from this damn situation yet, didn’t her parent will set her up another marriage proposal if this wedding crumbled on the ground? Unconsciously she shuddered upon thinking the possibility.

‘I told them we need to know each other better before we married,’ told Kai.

‘And you didn’t tell me that?’ Krystal looked at him in disbelief. So the time their parents did not fussing over the marriage was actually request from Kai yet....

‘This is the reason why I didn’t tell you,’ Kai smiled.

‘What do you mean?’ Krystal confusedly asked.

‘This,’ Kai pointed out once again. ‘Your reaction. I know you’ll reacted like this thus I didn’t tell you anything besides, if ever I tell you, do you think you’ll stay in the past a year and half even if I aware you didn’t try anything in this relationship.’

Krystal did not say anything. Kai had the point; she must be run away if she knew the fact. She leaned back at the head rest.

‘How do you know if I’ll reacted this way though,’

‘Don’t forget that we always in the same school from nursery ‘till high school, maybe we’re not the best friend, but at least I know who you’re.’

‘Still, you should’ve told me, this way we wouldn’t need to waste the time,’

‘Of course,’ Kai chuckled; he knew he should not hope too much. ‘Of course you think we waste the time,’

‘Didn’t we?’ Krystal countered.

Kai shook his head. He tried his best not to show his frustration.

‘What if I say I didn’t waste even a single time in the past a year and half?’ Krystal taken aback with Kai’s revelation and even before she could digest more, Kai added. ‘For someone who is smart, you can be so dense Krys. I didn’t buy the time but I really want give us a chance. Couldn’t you see how hard I try Krys?’

‘Kai.... I.... I don’t know....’

‘It’s okay,’ Kai dismissively waved his hand. ‘This maybe came as surprise to you, actually I didn’t want to say any of this, but this unavoidable? I don’t know. Anyway, this is your passport,’ Kai took the passport from his short pocket and pushed the small book to Krystal’s side. ‘I know your Mum strictly gave me an instruction to keep your passport but here it is. I give you a chance to make your own decision. Forget me, forget your parents, and forget everything. Just think of yourself and decide. This is why I took you all the way here, so you can make your own decision. I’ll go inside first. Don’t stay outside too long, the wind is cold.’

With that Kai stood up and left. Leave the still dumbfounded Krystal.

This is ridiculous, Krystal thought. How come Kai....

She glanced behind and through the glass wall behind her, she could see Kai was on bed, sleeping? Maybe. Krystal sighed how could she so blind and unnoticed about Kai’s feeling?

“I don’t know when but maybe our purpose of closeness in the past year grew the feeling inside me though I’m not there yet, but if we continue, I can guarantee. Maybe I really fall for you, that’s why we need to talk about it right now, before everything became too complicated.”

Sighed some more Krystal stood up and walked inside the room, she took notes and went back to the patio, wrote something.

And in a flash, Krystal got her bag and passport before she took a good look of the sleeping guy before her. She bended down and kissed his head slowly.

‘I’m sorry Kai,’ she whispered.

Krystal left the room without looking back. She hoped she did the right thing this time.

 

 

 

 

 

“For us Kai,”