You Are My Angel

Fatalis Dilemma
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Sehun is in the kitchen, washing the dishes and preparing for today’s meal as the dimmest of light starts to peek through the curtains. It is just 6AM, but already, there are so many things to do.

When he’s done, he goes to the living room to organize Sowon’s various toys scattered about. The child had been dropped off at his grandparents’ house last night, since Sehun doesn’t want to wake him up so early in the morning to leave. Sehun will pick his son up whenever he gets home after meeting Kai.

Speaking of Kai…

Sehun stills. Kai wants them to meet at Youngju Hill, the place where they had made that promise… He doesn’t know what Kai wants to say, and is afraid at the same time.

Shaking his head to clear his mind, Sehun gathers the work documents on the coffee table and starts putting them into a folder. He had taken them out last night hoping to go through them but was too tired and fell asleep instead.

It isn’t until he’s skimming over the papers that he realizes a crucial document of a new construction plan he needs to read through before giving it to the President to sign is missing.

Frantically, he searches all over the room but can’t find it anywhere. Could it be that he had accidentally misplaced it and left it back at his cubicle in the company? Oh no… He needs to have the document completed by Monday morning… What to do?

He knows the company is open on Saturday for the employees who work overtime… and is closed on Sunday, the one permanent day off. Glancing at his watch, he sees that it’s about 6:45AM. If he hurries and catches the morning bus now, he can stop by the company to get the document before going straight to Youngju Hill. 45 minutes should be enough time…

He hopes…

So Sehun hurriedly grabs his sweater and keys and dashes out the door.

 

 

Meanwhile, Kai is already at Youngju Hill, meticulously setting up a strings of light on the ground in the shape of a huge heart for two people to step into. The grass is still damp from the dew, and the scent is refreshing as he works.

Kai has never been much of a romantic person, but for Sehun, he would be willing to do anything.

If he was willing to give up on racing, his lifelong dream, to give Sehun a more stable life for the future, then what’s a romantic gesture or two to surprise the younger and make him smile? Kai knows Sehun likes cheesy, romantic things even if he doesn’t say so outloud.

Kai pauses in his steps. Back in high school, when they had been dating, Kai was still too young, too hotblooded, back then. Still thought of doing cheesy things as “lame”, still worried that his other “bad boy” friends will make fun of him for being so indulgent to his boyfriend. He had refrained from a lot of things he knew would make Sehun happy.

And his biggest regret that he didn’t do back then… He hopes to be able to do it―to say it―properly, today.

With a smile, he continues to decorate the place, scattering a flowerbed near the edge of the cliff so they will be able to sit on and watch the sunrise later.

 

 

The streets are still relatively dark as Sehun rides to the company. The building itself is deserted, only a woman at the receptionist and a few other scattered about. Sehun himself has never been here on the weekend before, and he’s not used to not seeing a bustling building.

The top floor is even quieter, since usually, there are only four people working on this floor―Jongin, Kai, Minseok, and Sehun himself. Kai ended up dropping his personal secretary, citing he has no need for one, and works alone in his office most of the time.

It’s when he’s rummaging through the files on his desk that Sehun notices the light is actually on in the President’s office, the brightness peeking from beneath the door.

Jongin? he wonders, grabbing the document he needs before walking towards the office and knocking on the door. “Jongin, are you there?”

“Yeah, come in.”

When Sehun opens the door and walks in, his heart breaks at sight of the other hunched over his desk, a plethora of papers and documents scattered about, and a cup of coffee nearby that has long gone cold.

“I tried, but… the coffee I made isn’t as good as the ones you made,” Jongin mentions, cracking a smile when he sees Sehun’s gaze on the cup.

“Maybe you’re only good at making hot chocolate for me,” Sehun teases with a smile back.

“That’s good then. This means we can continue to make drinks for each other, huh?”

Sehun’s smile softens. “Yeah.” He understands the underlying meaning in Jongin’s question: that Sehun and Jongin will continue to be there for each other, to make drinks for each other―

―to be together with each other.

“What are you doing here, though? You don’t have overtime today.”

“I forgot an important document. I needed to go get it so I can complete it by Monday.”

“Such a diligent secretary I have. I’m so lucky,” Jongin singsongs.

Sehun laughs heartily. “I think us employees are the lucky ones, to have such a diligent president working day and night and even through the weekend for the sake of the company.” Here, his expression shifts to worry. “But you shouldn’t work too hard. How long have you been here?”

“Since… hmn, last night, actually.”

“Last night…? You mean…” A gasp. “Jongin, did you go home at all? Or did you stay here overnight?”

The other shifts awkwardly. “I have a lot of work to do…”

“But Jongin, that’s not good for you!” Sehun protests, taking in the dark circles underneath the other’s eyes, and how haggard he looks overall. “You’re going to work yourself sick at this rate!”

The man shrugs.

Sehun sighs, anxiety flooding his mind. “Have you eaten anything? Slept at all? Jongin, you should go home and rest!”

“But I still have so many files to read through, documents to sign―”

“Please,” Sehun pleads, walking forward and standing in front of him. “You can’t overwork yourself like this, it’s unhealthy. Go home and rest… Do it for me, please?”

Jongin must’ve seen the genuine concern in Sehun’s eyes, for he sighs and puts his pen down. “Alright. Just for you, since I don’t want to worry you. I’ll go home and take a good rest, okay? Just let me organize these files back first.”

“It’s fine, I can do it for you!” Sehun volunteers, hurrying around the desk to stand next to him and start putting the files away into the appropriate folders. “This is what a secretary is for, right?”

“This is what a concerned lover is for, too,” Jongin adds, giving him a grateful smile. “Thank you, Sehun.”

“It’s fine, no big deal―” His words trail off when Jongin starts to stand up and wobble slightly on his feet. “Jongin, are you okay?”

“Yeah, it’s fine. Probably just vertigo from sitting in one place for too long and reading endless lines of texts,” Jongin answers, waving his hand away, but the gesture only makes him falter more, and his eyes are blanking out.

“Jongin…?” Sehun asks, watching warily when the older man takes a stumbling step backward, hand accidentally sweeping past the coffee cup on the table, sending it flying and smashing into pieces onto the carpet, liquid spl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter