The Choice is Made

Fatalis Dilemma
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Have you thought about what you want to be when you grow up?”

Sehun looks up from his homework. Kai is idly shuffling through the channels next to him on the bed, inside Kai's room. “No…”

“No thoughts about what job you want to have?”

“And you do?” Sehun quirks his lips in pleasant surprise. “I thought you wanted to be a delinquent your whole life, Kai.”

The other scoffs. “When did you learn the art of teasing?”

“I only learned from the best,” he answers, grinning cheekily at Kai.

Another scoff. Kai flicks him on the forehead lightly. “No, really though.”

“Hmn, well…” Sehun hums, blinking. “To be honest, any job is fine with me. I just want a decent one with enough money to be able to support my parents in the future. You know my family isn’t that well off and my parents work very hard to be able to afford me going to our school.”

“And you helped alleviate their burden by getting a scholarship,” Kai ruffles his head fondly, but the younger swats it away when it messes his hair up. “Although that makes you a total nerd. Our geeky student council president.”

“Which is a good thing, because I think you have a thing for nerds, Kai,” Sehun retorts, sticking his tongue out.

“Only cute ones like you~” Kai singsongs.

Sehun blushes instantly, fingers gripping onto the hems of his shirt. “W―What about you?” he asks as a distraction. “What do you want to be when you grow up?”

“A racer,” the other answers without hesitation.

“Like motorcycle racing?” Sehun thinks of Kai’s motorcycle that he’s been on countless times before.

“No, that’s kids stuff. I want to be a professional car racer. Auto racing. Using the big guns. Compete in prestigious tournaments and stuff.”

“Ooh.”

“Yup… Hey, have you heard of the Monaco Grand Prix?” Kai perks up suddenly. “It’s the most renowned racing tournament in the world! To get first place there… is any racer’s dream and the biggest accomplishment they can achieve!”

Sehun smiles, noticing the excited expression on the other’s face. “So is that your goal? You want to win the tournament someday?”

“Yeah! That’s my dream… I will definitely win it someday!”

“I know you can do it, Kai,” Sehun says sincerely, but then deflates a little.

“Hmn? What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, it’s just… It’ll take a lot of time and practice to be able to compete in that tournament, right? And you’ll have to go far away to Monaco too… You’ll be so busy all the time…”

“What, are you going to miss me?”

Sehun pouts. “Of course I will. We see each other everyday for school, Kai. It won’t be the same when you’re too busy practicing in another country…”

“Oh…”

“But!” Sehun brightens up, grinning at him. “That’s okay, because I know you’ll be somewhere out there, working hard on achieving your dreams! And I will be so proud of you and will silently cheer for you, even when we’re oceans apart!”

Kai smiles softly at him. “You really are such a good kid.”

“Don’t call me a kid, I’m only a year younger than you!”

Kai simply continues smiling, sliding an arm around his back to tug Sehun close, head resting onto the crook of Kai’s neck. “Okay, I’ve decided!”

“Decided what?”

“When I win the Monaco Grand Prix―when, not if―I will bring the first place trophy back to Korea, back to you, and give you it.”

“Huh? Me?”

“Yes.”

“But why? You’d have worked hard for that trophy, right? You said it’s the most prestigious automobile race in the world… Why would you not want to keep it for yourself so you can display it?”

“Because,” Kai says, knocking their heads together, “there is no one else I would want to give that trophy to, not even myself. Because when I won that race, you’d be the first person I’d think of. You’d be the one I’d want to fly to see first and show the trophy to. You’d be the only one I’d want to gift the proof of achieving my lifelong dream to.”

Sehun’s eyes soften, snuggling closer to the other. “You think I’m worth it?”

“Nobody is worth it more than you, to me,” Kai says before connecting their lips together in a sweet kiss.

 

 

Sehun steps out of the elevator into the top floor and looks around.

The door to Jongin’s office is closed when it was open before.

One look at Minseok wincing outside tells him enough. Taking a deep breath, Sehun walks forward to stand at the front of the door.

“Jongin, may I come in?” he asks, knocking, but there’s no reply.

Minseok gives him a helpless shrug before beelining back into his cubicle, and Sehun nervously tries the door handle.

It opens with a click, and he guesses Jongin had forgotten to lock the door when he had went in.

Stepping into the office and closing the door behind him, Sehun finds the other on the couch, hunched over with his head in his hands, bangs covering his face.

Settling down quietly next to the man, Sehun tentatively asks, “Jongin, are you okay…?”

There’s a silence that passes between them before the other speaks up. “…Why are you here?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter