A Challenge

Fatalis Dilemma
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Oh,” Kyungsoo says when they’ve just turned to a new street. “I forgot to pick up my order from the shop. Sorry, let me turn back.”

Kai shrugs, gaze staring aimlessly out the window while Kyungsoo turns the car around. He stops it in front of the shop, directly across from the Kim Foundations building.

“Wait here, I’ll be quick.”

Kai nods, watching his lover disappear into the shop before looking out the window again―

―and feels his heart clogged up in his throat.

There, on the other side of the street, are two shadows frantically embracing each other. While Kai doesn’t care much for other people’s public displays of affections, it’s hard not to notice his own reflection―just with brown hair and different clothes―in front of his eyes.

And the one inside Jongin’s arms… Even though he’s just seen the other for the first time in five years… It’s hard to mistake that frail figure… desperately clutching onto his twin…

Jongin tilts Sehun’s head up, and although Kai can’t hear what they’re saying, too far away, he’s not far enough to not see the two kissing right in front of his eyes.

Out on the open street… With Kai only a few meters away… Jongin and Sehun are kissing. And Sehun is just letting him―

“I’m back,” a voice calls out. Kai jerks at the sound of the car door opening.

“What’s wrong? You look like you’ve seen a ghost,” Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow, settling the bag onto the backseat before starting the ignition.

Kai schools his expression, shrugging. “Let’s go. We’re going to be late.”

The other tilts his head questioningly. His eyes catches onto something behind Kai, and the latter instantly knows what.

“Wait… Is that Jongin? And… Sehun, was it? Oh my god―Are they kissing?”

Kai shrugs.

“I didn’t know Jongin was dating someone, let alone his employee. What―” A gasp. “Is this why you went after Sehun just now? Because your brother likes him?”

I knew Sehun before Jongin ever did, Kai thinks, but doesn’t say.

“Wait, who even is this Oh Sehun? I legit thought Jongin was aual or something. He never seemed to have an interest in anyone, but now―”

“Can we go?” Kai speaks up, voice loud. “I thought you said we’re going to be late for our reservations.”

Kyungsoo stares at him in disbelief, but when he looks back, Jongin and Sehun have disappeared.

So he gives one last confused glance at Kai before driving off.

 

 

The cup of chocolate milk inside his palms is warm. Sehun takes a tentative sip.

“Is it okay? I’m probably not as good as you are at making drinks, sorry.”

“You shouldn’t be making me drinks in the first place,” Sehun sniffs. “You’re the president…”

Jongin shrugs, sitting on the chair beside him. They’re inside the president’s office now, and Sehun has calmed somewhat.

The other is simply watching him with concerned eyes as Sehun drinks quietly, and Sehun feels…

He doesn’t know what he feels.

There are a million thoughts running inside his head.

He grapples with the first obvious one.

“President Kim…”

“Call me Jongin.”

“Okay, Jongin,” Sehun acquiesces, too tired for formalities. “So you are… Kai’s younger twin brother?”

“Yeah…”

“I’ve… I’ve never heard of you before…”

Jongin turns his head to the side, eyes distant. “As you can see from the… spectacle earlier, we are not… the closest of brothers. Kai is not fond of me, and I’m not fond of him, either. It doesn’t surprise me to hear that he never mentioned to you about someone he despises being related to him.”

Sehun wants to ask why they despise each other, but refrains. It’s probably a personal question, and Sehun is in no place to ask Jongin.

“I see,” Sehun says. “But…” he stammers, wondering how to phrase this. “What… do you mean, you want me to let you l―love me? You…” love me? Sehun almost blurts.

Jongin can probably guess what he’s trying to say, for he confirms with a nod. “I love you.”

“What?”

“I love you, Sehun,” the older tells him, voice loud and clear.

“But… why? We barely know each other―”

“To be honest,” Jongin mutters, gaze down. “I’ve… seen pictures of you back five years ago, with Kai. I saw you together with him sometimes when you visited our house, even though I couldn’t really approach you because Kai would dislike it and create a fuss. But… I’ve always thought you were such a beautiful person. I guess it was something like a crush?”

Sehun can only sit, eyes wide, as he listens to the other’s confession. So Jongin… liked him back five years ago? Even when he didn’t know Jongin existed?

“But then Kai left for overseas,” Jongin continues. “I guess you guys broke up, because I never saw you again… Until now. Until you applied to my company. I had thought it was someone with the same name, but… it was really you… And you were just so kind and so beautiful―you made coffee for me everyday. You even paid attention to my likes and dislikes and went out of your way to do a special mix so it wouldn’t be as sweet. You’ve been so caring and attentive and just absolutely wonderful that I couldn’t help falling for you.”

Sehun’s breath hitches as he hears more and more, his heart fluttering unwittingly. It feels nice to hear those words, especially from someone who has the same face and voice as Kai, but…

Jongin is not Kai.

“I… I did all of those things because I thought you were Kai,” Sehun whispers.

There’s a visible wince on Jongin’s face before he sighs. “I know.”

“Why didn’t you tell me you weren’t Kai?”

“But I did. I kept telling you I am Jongin.”

“But―Why didn’t you tell me you’re his twin?”

“Because, wouldn’t it be awkward? You didn’t know of me, at all. Wouldn’t it be weird to suddenly introduce myself as your ex’s twin, whom you’ve never heard about?”

“I―I guess…”

Another sigh. “I didn’t know what to do… I knew about you, but you didn’t know me back. I didn’t want to freak you out, so I didn’t know how to introduce myself. I’m sorry if I had mislead you.”

Sehun shakes his head, eyes on his lap. Truthfully, it had been his own fault for not believing Jongin. For assuming Jongin is Kai. For getting his hopes up.

In the end, it didn’t even matter. Kai loves someone else now.

“It didn’t matter, in the end,” Sehun speaks up. “It didn’t… matter…”

There’s a pause from the other before he makes an aggravated sound. “This is why I was so torn about it, because you clearly still love Kai! It’s so frustrating to watch!”

Sehun lifts his head up when Jongin reaches for his hand on his lap, caressing it.

“Kai doesn’t know what he’s got,” he tells the younger. “He had you before, and he didn’t treasure you. Even now, he still was never serious about you and is dating someone new. It breaks my heart, to see you hurt like this. You deserve so much better, Seh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter