Take Back

Fatalis Dilemma
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

This is like a dream.

Or a nightmare.

His feet give out, stumbling back and bumping into the cubicle behind.

The banging sound it results in is loud, but nowhere near as loud as the beating of Sehun’s heart echoing inside his ears right now.

“You’re… Kai… Kim Kai… Oh god…” Sehun mutters breathlessly. He can see in his peripheral vision how Junmyeon and Minseok are starting to look worried at how pale he’s become, like he’s going to faint any moment, but―

Kai, for his part, only stares at him silently, eyebrows twitching as if trying to reign in his emotions from showing, but Sehun doesn’t even care, because―

If this is Kai, then who is Jongin―

“Sehun, are you alright?” Junmyeon speaks up. “You don’t look well…”

“I―I’m―” Sehun chokes out, pushing himself off the cubicle and shuffling sideways, an unconscious reaction, away from― “I’m just feeling under the weather, I―Ah―!”

His back crashes into something else. However, instead of bracing himself for pain of hitting another hard surface of a cubicle again, he is met with a firm chest, and hands shooting out to secure both his arms from behind.

“Well well, looks like the big bad boss finally shows himself,” Kai drawls suddenly, looking past Sehun, to―

“J―Jongin―” Sehun mumbles, glancing back to see Jongin steadying the younger onto his feet properly. With a grim expression, he lets go of Sehun to stand beside him, facing Kai.

“Funny, I would use the word ‘big bad’ to describe you,” Jongin says, and Sehun only blinks in disbelief at the scene in front of him.

They are exactly the same―from their facial features, to their height, and even their voice. The only different things are their hair colors, and the clothings. If Kai and Jongin both have the same hair color and matching outfits, Sehun doesn’t know if he can even tell the two apart just by looking.

“You wound me, little brother,” Kai says, snapping Sehun out of his inspection. Little brother? So… So Kai and Jongin are twins, and Kai is the older of the two?

Jongin gives a brief glance at Sehun, such a subtle movement that most don’t notice, except Kai, who has been silently watching the two of them. Then, Jongin says, “What are you doing here, Kai?”

“I’ve come to take back what’s mine,” Kai answers. “Didn’t Kyungsoo tell you I’d be coming?”

“No, it seems he was concerned with other things when he met me,” Jongin says dryly. “And come back to take what’s yours? Really?”

“Yup.”

“Come on now. What’s this about taking back, you guys are brothers,” Junmyeon adds in, pacifying. “You were the one who didn’t want this company, Kai. Jongin has been doing an excellent job in your stead.”

“And good for him, but his playtime is over,” Kai announces, taking a step forward with narrowed eyes. “I’ve been a good big brother, letting you borrow my things, but no more. I’m here to take everything back.”

Jongin isn’t even phased as Kai looms over him dangerously. “You think you can waltz in here, declare that, and expect everyone to assent and step aside for you? I’d like to see you go downstairs and give orders to any of the employees as President Kim. Let’s see which one they listen to, you or me.”

Kai is silently seething upon hearing the taunt, and Sehun is so reminded of all those times back then when Kai had the same expression before leaping forward and ruthlessly punching everyone who had angered him.

Sehun is suddenly afraid Kai will punch Jongin in the face right here, right now.

Thankfully, it seems the years have matured him, for he straightens up, face nonchalant and cocky again. “Nah, I’m just giving you a warning. I’ll be taking my things back, so better pack your bags ahead of time, little bro.”

“Thanks for the warning, but I don’t think it’s needed, since it won’t come true.”

At this, Kai only smirks. “Pa and ma are coming back from their vacation. You think, if I asked, they wouldn’t give this company back to me?” He takes a step closer, a palm resting onto Jongin’s shoulder as he leans in and whispers, “They only ever chose you because I didn’t want it. You had my leftovers, little brother. You will never be anything but second choice to them.”

Junmyeon and Minseok are too far away, and probably can’t hear it, but Sehun, standing right next to Jongin, does, and his head is spinning with all the new information.

“See you in our next family meeting, lil bro,” Kai tells Jongin. With a final glance at Sehun, the blonde male walks away, steps filled with confidence and haughtiness. Sehun is having vivid flashbacks of seeing the same poise countless times years ago.

“Sehun…” Jongin murmurs, snapping Sehun’s attention back to him.

The younger only looks at him in distress. “You’re not Kai… You were never Kai… Oh my god…”

“Sehun, I―”

Sehun only flinches back when Jongin tries to reach out to him. “You’re not Kai… Kai is here… Kai is…” With a choked gasp, Sehun spins around, heading towards the elevator, to―

“Sehun, wait―” Jongin shouts, but it’s too late.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter