Ten.

The flaws in Park Chanyeol

 

 


160731 Sunday                                                                                                     Thank you for this amazing journey.


Chanyeol is bent over Baekhyun’s body, holding him close, as if doing that will retain the warmth in Baekhyun’s body that’s slowly leaking out. Somehow, the men seem to feel sympathetic, because no one has killed him yet. Or maybe they haven’t seen Baekhyun close his eyes.

Suddenly, he hears shouts from outside, and a lot of thumps, as if a fight’s going on. Chanyeol wouldn’t have lifted his head if he swears he hadn’t heard Chen’s voice. He blinks. It seems as if it’s not just him that has heard it. The men look hesitant, torn between wanting to kill Chanyeol now and wanting to go outside and check just what the hell is going on. Finding hope in able to bring Baekhyun to the hospital, Chanyeol leans closer, pressing his ear towards Baekhyun’s unmoving lips.

“Baek, don’t say that …” Chanyeol wails. “You’re not dead yet … You’re not dead yet … So don’t say things like that …” He pretends to cry loudly. They seem to have made their decision, because after all, Joo Sung did tell them to kill Chanyeol after Baekhyun dies, so all of them file outside.

They never make it.

Chanyeol doesn’t see who, but he does see a long stick-like thing smash down on the man’s head, and the man crumples to the floor. Before the other men can even understand what’s happening, these new people have filed in, holding bats and bags and even shoes. When all the men are down, Chanyeol finally sees who it is.

Or rather, who they are.

His friends.

“Guys …” Chanyeol whispers as he stands up on wobbly feet. Chen is grinning at him, smile wide and triumphant …

… until he sees who’s in Chanyeol’s arms.

“!” He curses. Everyone turns to Chen, then to Chanyeol, their eyes widening.

“!” Ten other people curse.

“Someone call the hospital!” Jungsoo appears by Chanyeol’s side, sweaty but unhurt, and he offers to hold Baekhyun instead. Chanyeol passes to him, tired and worn out. He’s not sure he’s able to hold Baekhyun securely anymore anyway. Once Baekhyun is in his arms, Jungsoo rushes out, a few other people following him.

“Come on!” Someone hisses, and a few people grab onto Chanyeol, holding him upright. His vision is swimming before him. Now that his life is out of danger and his death is not inevitable anymore, the weight of Baekhyun injured … Baekhyun dying … falls on him harder than ever.

“Someone hold him!” Someone shouts. More hands support him, dragging him out of that place. He finds strange-looking men staring at them as they leave the hut, and he pushes all the hands away from him.

“You wanna fight?! HUH?!” Chanyeol screams, balling his hands into fists. He’s not afraid anymore. Baekhyun is hurt and dying because of these people. “I’ll ing fight you, come on!” The same hands reach out and grab him again, pulling him back.

“These are Baek’s men.” Someone whispers into his ear softly. “Come on, let’s get you outta here.” Chanyeol doesn’t even have time to register what’s happening before they’re dragging him into a car. It’s at that moment where everything crashes down on him and he buries his face in his hands.

“Baek …” He sobs, uncaring of who’s there and who’s watching him. “Baek …”

“He’ll be fine.” Someone says gently, rubbing his back comfortingly. Chanyeol can never forget it – the loud BANG! that can shatter his ears and what he thought would shatter his world, but instead it had shattered his entire being.

He can never forget how pale Baekhyun looked, how fresh red blood kept flowing out and didn’t stop, and Chanyeol didn’t know how to stop it. He can never forget the way Baekhyun squeezed his hand, the grip so weak and so easy to pull out of. He can never forget the way Baekhyun smiled, his colourless lips scaring Chanyeol more than when Joo Sung had pointed the gun at him. He can never forget the way Baekhyun looked at him, those eyes so lively and gentle, so full of the love he always wanted.

Baekhyun hasn’t even said it to him yet.

Tears fall out of his eyes and into his hands, mixing with Baekhyun’s blood. He doesn’t want to think about it, of what his future might hold if Baekhyun is gone from his life, because Baekhyun had barged into it so suddenly that it’s so difficult to push him back out again. It’s as if Byun Baekhyun had entered his heart and picked a spot that Chanyeol can never wipe him away from … Maybe it’s because Byun Baekhyun is everywhere in his heart.

It’s strange how powerful love is, how it can so easily attach you to someone, such that it’s torture if you ever part with them. Chanyeol feels that on so many levels. He feels it so intensely, because right now he’s replaying Baekhyun all over his mind and he doesn’t think they would ever fade away.

He doesn’t even care anymore. He doesn’t even care if he has to go to jail because he was accused of stealing someone’s identity. He doesn’t even care if he’ll be put with all those criminals who hurt and did wrong to others. He doesn’t care about anything. He just wants Baekhyun safe. He just wants Baekhyun alive.

Baekhyun’s smile, his laugh, his smirk, his frown, his voice, his narrowed eyes, his nose, his fingers … everything Baekhyun Baekhyun Baekhyun keeps playing through his mind, vivid and clear, but untouchable.

And he’s terrified Baekhyun will become just a memory.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Joo Sung has been waiting for hours.

He’s getting a little impatient, but he knows this wait is nothing compared to how long he had to pretend and organise for the past few months – years, even.  He had been waiting for this moment, so waiting a little more will mean nothing.

Just then, his phone rings.

He picks it up. His calm face morphs into one of rage.

“What?!” He shouts in the empty, large waiting room. “He escaped? How the did you … You idiots, the lot of you!” With that, he switches off his phone, turning to the man he had brought with him on this occasion.

“Give me a photo of him. The fraud.” Joo Sung spits, and the man flinches before looking inside the bag he’s holding. Eventually, he takes it out and passes it to Joo Sung. Joo Sung smiles again, mood regained as he stares at the photo of Chanyeol from this college semester.

Maybe he can get the butler to kill Chanyeol for him.

Either way, he’ll get revenge.

“Sir?” A woman opens the door and peeks out. Joo Sung immediately straightens his back, letting out a charming smile. “Come in.”

He walks with confidence and grace, his man left behind. After all, he’s going to regain fame on his own. No one is going to stop him.

As soon as he enters, he sees the man that he had been looking forward to seeing for a long time. Lee Mansu. The man has a gentle look in his eyes as he stands in front of his work table. Joo Sung stands on the opposite end, taking note with greed in his eyes just how many men Lee Mansu has. There seems to be at least ten men lining up on the two long walls, and Joo Sung watches as the woman walks towards Lee Mansu and stands behind him, head bowed and modest. He his lips. This is going to be what he’ll have from now on.

“Nice to meet you.” The butler says with interest in his eyes as he stretches his hand out. Joo Sung walks towards him and, instead of shaking hands with him, he passes him the necklace.

“This is what you’ve been looking for, isn’t it?” Joo Sung asks. “After all, it was the only thing left to me when my parents found me.”

“Yes…” The butler’s eyes widen as he stares at the necklace before him. The silver glints under the yellow lights on top of the ceiling, and Joo Sung smirks with confidence as Lee Mansu investigates the necklace. “It’s … the real one.”

“Of course it is.” Joo Sung says, doing everything in his power not to roll his eyes. “After all, I am the real Park Chanyeol.”

“Hm …” The butler looks up at him with more interest in his eyes now. He stares at Joo Sung, surveying his face. “You seem to have Master’s smile … and Mistress’s nose … you look very much like your parents.” He whispers. Joo Sung smirks. This is all going to plan. Finally, he’ll be getting exactly what he wants.

“There was … someone who tried to impersonate me.” Joo Sung says. “He wanted to get my money, but I wouldn’t let him ruin my family’s reputation.” The butler’s eyes darken considerably.

“Who is it, boy? Show me, and I’ll kill him.” Joo Sung smirks again. This is going so perfectly. He can’t have it any other way. He takes out the photo from his pocket and passes it to the butler. The butler picks it up, scrutinising it carefully.

“This boy. This was the one –”

BANG!

Joo Sung blinks as he falls to his knees, a bullet shot him in the shoulder.  Suddenly, all the bodyguards previously stuck to the wall have now come forward, guns to his head. He looks ahead. The woman that had called him in previously has a gun in her hand, smoke coming out from the tip.

When he dares looks up, Lee Mansu is staring down at him, a murderous look in his eyes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nearly 22 years ago

Golden Parks is rising to fame, becoming one of the more popular brands in Korea and rising to fame all over the world. This was always Minji’s dream, as well as her husband’s. Both orphans, they had found interest in metals and how they worked, and also liked creating different designs for how jewellery would look. They had a lot of ideas throughout their childhood and youth. They spent so much time invested on creating new ideas and thinking of how to create jewellery that they completely dropped out of school just to focus on their dream.

They were the lucky ones.

After some little miracles and undying persistence, they finally released their product, and due to their unique shape and their only use of silver (or alloys composed of silver and more abundant metals), they rose quickly and many people became interested.

But people were jealous. They had many enemies for many reasons. For one, they had no financial background and … no family background at all. They were always promoted as the Golden Lovers. They were people who had nothing, but made everything out of it.

Park Minji will never find out who were the ones that wanted them dead. All she knew was she had to protect her son.

Barely two months old, she had carried the little one throughout the snow after watching her childhood friend, her only companion, her husband, and the father of her child, get stabbed. She had run instead of surrendering to accompany her lifelong soulmate, because the son in her arms means too much to her. She had been betrayed, either by her colleagues or her affiliates or even her own friends, and she doesn’t know who, but there will always be that one person she will always trust.

Freezing to death, she only hugs Chanyeol closer to herself, hoping he won’t feel the pain and the chill that she does, or that if he does, she hopes he’ll never remember it.

“They’re here to murder me.” She whispers once Lee Mansu is out of his house, looking dishevelled but concerned. Her cheeks are stained with her tears, and she feels like breaking down, but she has to protect him. “Jimin … he’s already gone …”

“I’ll –”

“No.” Minji cuts in. “You can’t. They’ll find you.”

“I don’t care, I –”

“They might not know he lives.” Minji whispers. “I’m going to go into hiding, but I might not survive. If I don’t, I want you to get rid of the people who want Golden Parks. I want you to take care of Golden Parks. We showed you how we made them already. And once you get rid of them, find Chanyeol.” Minji looks around frantically. “Take care of yourself too. Your safety comes first.” She stands up and heads towards the door. “I gotta go.”

“Wait!” Mansu catches her arm. “Are you going to tell me where you’ll put him?”

“No.” Minji smiles sadly. “I know you’ll find him, but I don’t want you to know, just in case they find out about Chanyeol and they torture you.” Then she leaves.

She runs throughout the snow and has done so for hours now, afraid they’d catch up to her too quickly. Eventually, her instinct overwhelms her, and she comes upon a quiet street.

I can’t wait anymore. She thinks to herself as she hides herself amongst the shadows, trying to find a miracle. I need to hide him. Now.

And the miracle happens.

A small woman opens her door with a heap of blankets, followed by a little girl no older than five. They are laughing as they flip the bin open and throw all the blankets inside. Then the woman turns around and lifts up the girl, letting her place the blanket inside herself. Then, laughing and singing nursery rhymes, they walk back inside, shutting the door.

I’m sure they’ll be good to him. Minji decides, praying that she’s right. Once she’s sure no one else is on the street, she tiptoes over and opens the bin.

“Whatever happens …” She whispers as she kisses Chanyeol on the nose. “Whatever happens, I want you to be happy, and I want you to know that your mama and papa love you …” With tears in her eyes, she sets Chanyeol down. Somehow, it’s harder to part with him than to part with her own husband, but she has to do it.  She watches as the necklace glints against the street lights, watches as the piece of paper lies innocently on top of her son’s chest. She hopes he knows. She hopes that one day, when he searches for his family background, he’ll start with the clue she has for him.

“Park Chanyeol, with the most unique ears in the world.”

On that night, Park Jimin is killed by four stab wounds to the chest.

And then their bodies burned to a crisp at the little cottage they rented for the holidays.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“How do I know who he is? What if … What if I find the wrong person?” Mansu looks worried. Minji smiles.

“You’ll know.” She says softly.

At that moment, as Mansu looks down in the bundle at the baby boy of barely two months old, it’s not the pretty silver necklace he sees wound up along the short neck.

He sees those ears protruding out from his ears, sticking out like a sore thumb.

Just like both his parents’.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You have all the traits.” Lee Mansu says, looking down at the fraud before him. “Except the most important feature.”

“What the ?” Joo Sung growls, eyes flashing with fury even as he clutches his chest. The guards push all their guns down on his head, forcing him on the floor. He trembles violently with fear even as he pretends to be calm. A pathetic scene.

“The ears, you liar.” Lee Mansu says calmly. “You never had the ears.”

Joo Sung screams in rage.

“You tried to harm Master Chanyeol, did you?” Lee Mansu’s eyes look scary and threatening. “You tried to take his place?”

“Of course I did.” Joo Sung shouts. “He has nothing. He was nothing in the first place. If you took me in, I would make Golden Parks even better than it ever was before. Park Chanyeol has nothing, he’s just a stupid poor boy who never thinks about the consequences!” In that moment, Lee Mansu takes out a gun, pressing it to Joo Sung’s nose. Joo Sung stops talking immediately, shaking violently as he cowers. Fear is evident in his eyes, and the more Mansu stares at him, the less he looks like Park Jimin and Park Minji.

Just a fraud.

“Take him away.” Lee Mansu says as he retreats his gun, then turns his back on them. As he hears Joo Sung’s strangled screams of fury, he opens his hand and stares at the photo sitting on his palm. He smiles. Park Chanyeol truly has his parents’ ears. “He’ll be in prison for a long, long time.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A few weeks ago

“What proof do you have to show that you’re Park Chan –”

“I’m not.” The man before Lee Mansu replies. Mansu blinks in surprise.

“Huh?”

“I’m not Park Chanyeol.” He says. “I’m someone else.”

“Then why –”

“The special thing you’re looking for …” The man seems to have charm roll off his body as he walks around gracefully. “It’s not valuables, is it?” When he steps forward and places his hand on the table, it’s not the slender fingers he sees splayed out across expensive wood, it’s the look in his eyes.

“You’re looking for ears.”  Mansu’s eyes widen in surprise.

“And what makes you think that?” He asks.

“I searched up Park Minji and Park Jimin.” Baekhyun explains. “I saw their photos. Both of them have ears that stick out.”

“You’re very good.” Mansu says. “What’s your name?”

“Byun Baekhyun.” Baekhyun says as he reaches into his pocket and takes out his phone. In there, he swipes the screen a few times before showing it to the man. “This is the man you’re looking for. His name is Park Chanyeol, 22 years old, born on 27th November 1992. He told me he was an orphan, abandoned by his parents barely two months after he was born. He was stuck in a bin full of blankets for strangers to look after.” Baekhyun runs his hand through his hair as he tries to remember more things.

“Oh, and he said when he was found, he had two things on his body. He didn’t have anything else. He didn’t even have clothes. He had a silver necklace with a treble clef, and a note.” Baekhyun leans down to look into Mansu’s eyes. “The note said ‘Park Chanyeol, with the most unique ears in the world.’”

Baekhyun stops talking for a while, letting Mansu sink the information in.

“Do you believe me now?” Baekhyun asks. Lee Mansu is impressed. Somehow, he can see persistence in the boy’s eyes, a strong determination that can’t be broken down.

“Tell me the details.” Lee Mansu says. Baekhyun gets onto it immediately.

“There is a man trying to impersonate Chanyeol.” Baekhyun says. “He looks very similar to Chanyeol, but he’s at least six years older. He has been known for serious theft from successful companies, known to have men support him. He’s very good at acting, known to hurt you if you offend him a little, and what he loves more than money is revenge –”

“You sound like you know him personally.” Mansu raises his eyebrows, questioning. Baekhyun’s face falls.

“I was a victim.” He says quietly. “If you check online, Bronze corporation’s money statistics fell dramatically in 2007. I am Byun Kangmin’s son. That was his doing, and that was sort of my fault too.” Mansu looks up at him.

“This man will come to you in due time. He’ll take the necklace from Chanyeol and he’ll present it to you, thinking that the necklace is what you’re looking for.” Baekhyun says. “He’s a fraud. Don’t trust him.”

“Of course not.” Mansu says smoothly. Baekhyun blinks at him in surprise. “I’ve been through many frauds and many criminals. After all, I was the one who got rid of the people who wanted to kill the Park family.”

“The Parks were betrayed by their alliances. They wanted their own company to rise but they were always overshadowed by Golden Parks. The murderers were only ordinary people that were set out to kill.” Mansu’s eyes flash. “I found all of them. I either killed them or put them in jail. All traitors and liars, I will do the same.” He stares at Baekhyun, but Baekhyun stares back just as intensely, without a hint of fear in his eyes. “Why do you think I’m only looking for the Master now? It’s because now he’s safe and there won’t be any more people who will try to harm him.”

“This man wants to steal Chanyeol’s identity.” Baekhyun says. “I won’t let him. I just wanted you to know.” Then he turns around and strides off towards the door.

“Wait.” Mansu calls. Baekhyun stops. “Let that man come. I will deal with him personally.” Baekhyun turns around, and Mansu smiles.

“I won’t let go of anyone that dares harm my Master.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

They arrive at the hospital, and all twelve of them crowd outside as Baekhyun is wheeled into the emergency room. Later, Jungsoo had left, saying he had things he had to do. Hours later Baekhyun is still in there, and all his friends have either fallen asleep out of exhaustion or have gone to have their injuries fixed.

This is a moment Chanyeol will never be able to describe. It’s a moment of life and death, and although Chanyeol had heard that so many times he deems it cliché, it’s never been truer than this moment. Here he is, waiting for the ending that may turn out to be a miracle or turn out to be horrible and unfortunate. Here he is, waiting for an answer, a chance of hope that he feels is starting to fade away as more time passes. His friends haven’t said anything about it, and they try to convince Chanyeol (and themselves) that Baekhyun will be fine, but Chanyeol is too afraid to think that. He’s too afraid he’ll be disappointed and hurt and devastated.

He’s never been so afraid before.

Every minute feels like an hour, every hour like a year. How long does he have to wait?

Eventually, the light switches off the sign. Chanyeol stands on wobbly feet and bated breath, dizzy as he stumbles forward and waits. The doctor walks out not long after, looking around and eyes resting on Chanyeol.

“Your friend will be fine.” The doctor says gently. When Chanyeol sighs in relief, he feels like he’s letting go of all the burdens that had been holding him down. “He just needs a lot of rest. He was very lucky it didn’t hit his heart, and he came here just in time. When you visit him, don’t wake him up. You won’t be able to visit him for the next week or so.”

“That’s…” Chanyeol can’t finish what he’s saying, because he’s beyond relieved. Even if he’s unable to see Baekhyun for a month, or a year, or ten years, or ever again, he’s happy as long as Baekhyun is okay.

Baekhyun is okay.

And he swears, if Baekhyun will be okay for the rest of his life, then Chanyeol won’t ask for anything else, ever again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He hears it before he sees it.

The soft whispers buzzing around him. The steady beats of a machine that seem to correspond to the beat of his heart. Then:

“I so ing won that one!” Tao hollers.

“Dream on!”

“Shh!” Everything dies down again, and they resume in whispers. But his peace is already lost.

“You’re so loud.” He says, and he opens his eyes. “I can’t sleep.”

Ten pairs of eyes turn to stare at him.

“YOU’RE AWAKE!” They shout as they bound towards his bed, deck of cards forgotten and left behind. They don’t hug him because they’re afraid they’ll hurt him. When he tries to sit up, they shake their heads, telling him not to move. Yi Xing moves over and presses a button, and Baekhyun feels the bed moving and helping him sit up. During that time, everything is in a frenzy.

“You idiot!”

“We were so worried!”

“You nearly gave us a heart attack!”

“Baekhyun, you er!”

“I was so scared!”

He blinks at all his friends. Chen has a cut lip, Kyungsoo has a bandaged hand, Sehun has a bandaged head, and Yi Xing has a swollen face. Tao seems fine, as well as Joonmyun and Minseok. Lu Han and Jongin look okay if he didn’t see them limping over towards him, Jongin helped by Kyungsoo.

“What happened to all of you?” He asks. They roll their eyes.

“We came to save you, of course!” Yi Xing exclaims. Everyone laughs. Baekhyun frowns.

“Oh, don’t give us that look.” Chen rolls his eyes. “What do you take us for, your babies? We’re men too, we can do things too!”

“Yeah.” Sehun adds. “As in, you’re always keeping things to yourself –”

“And you never let anyone help you.” Lu Han cuts in.

“It’s time you consider us as friends.” Kyungsoo says. Even though they all look fatigued, there is a brightness to them. Maybe it’s in their smiles.

“Oh, and that Joo bastard is put on trial in court.” Jongin says. “I can’t believe he’s not thrown in jail yet.”

“That’s because he’s rich and hired a lawyer and stated it wasn’t fair.” Minseok sighs. They all have a sort of hatred in their eyes. It’s that extra something that tells Baekhyun that they somehow know about his past. His heart skips a beat and his face flushes. He hopes he’s wrong. Even though he trusts them and has accepted his past, it’s still a part of him that makes him feel ashamed.

“Do you … do you know what happened to us?” He asks quietly. “Between me and him?” They blink at him in surprise.

“What are you talking about?” Ten pairs of eyes blink at him innocently, but there is a knowing look in their eyes. Before Baekhyun knows it, he feels warmth added by warmth added by another warmth added by another warmth added by another warmth added by another warmth added by another warmth added by another warmth added by another warmth added by another warmth. This has to be the biggest hug Baekhyun has ever been in, and he never thought it’d be possible, but it’s happening right now. Baekhyun smiles and closes his eyes, leaning into their touch, grateful he has such friends.

“Where’s Jungsoo?” He asks once they pull away, looking around. Actually, he had been looking around the moment he opened his eyes.

“Oh, he’s dealing with the trial as someone who presents the evidence.” Joonmyun says.

“Chanyeol is there too, acting as a witness.” Kris adds. Sneaky grins pass through all their faces.

“Don’t pretend.” Tao snickers as he elbows Baekhyun.

“The whole time you talked to us, you kept looking around.” Sehun smirks.

“We know who you were looking for. Can’t hide from us.” Lu Han winks. Baekhyun flushes, but he doesn’t deny it.

“Don’t worry.” Kyungsoo says softly. “When he’s not in court trying to put the er in jail, he was in here with you the whole time.”

“As if he would worry.” Jongin smiles at Kyungsoo. “After all, he risked his life for Baekhyun, didn’t he?”

“And Baekhyun risked his for Chanyeol, didn’t he?”

“Awwwwwwwwww…” Everyone coos. Annoyed (and flustered), Baekhyun hides under his blankets.

“I don’t want to see you anymore. Get out.” He complains. His friends ignore him.

“By the way, Chanyeol is rich now, isn’t he?” Sehun says.

“Yeah! Because now he’s the rightful owner of some amazing jewellery company!” Tao squeals.

“My mum loves that brand!” Minseok adds, laughing.

“It’s what he deserves.” Baekhyun says quietly.  Everyone smiles upon seeing one on Baekhyun’s face.

“I CAN’T TAKE IT ANYMORE!” Kris shouts as he comes towards the front, holding Joonmyun by the arm. “DID YOU SEE MY MYEONNIE? WHEN HE KICKED THOSE GUYS’ BALLS –”

“Yeah yeah, whatever.” The others push him away.

“Control your man, Joonmyun.” Minseok rolls his eyes.

“He looked good when he pushed their faces with his hands.” Joonmyun mutters, flushing in embarrassment but smiling with pride. Kris pops up from the ground and wraps his arm around Joonmyun, grinning madly. Everyone chokes. Then suddenly, Chen stands up. Everyone follows suit. Baekhyun blinks, confused.

“We’ll leave you alone now.” Chen says as he ushers everyone out. “Your parents are coming.”

“Parents?” Baekhyun raises an eyebrow. Chen grins cheekily. “Anyway, thanks guys.”

“Aw, don’t mention it.” All of them clutch their face in mock embarrassment as they tiptoe out like embarrassed, flattered old ladies. Baekhyun chuckles, heart swelling. Yi Xing is still left behind, looking at some flowers. Baekhyun watches as Kyungsoo goes to pass the crutches for Jongin. They smile at each other as Kyungsoo helps the younger out. Yi Xing notices his questioning look.

“Oh.” Yi Xing leans down. “When they were fighting those bad guys, some guy wanted to hit Kyungsoo but Jongin tried to pull him out. The guy got really pissed and smashed his knee with a metal baton.” Baekhyun winces. “Yeah. They talked for a long while when you were having your surgery. I think something happened between them after that.”

“I’m … glad …” Baekhyun chokes out, trying not to think of the pain it might cause. Yi Xing smiles handsomely.

“I’ll go now. Goodbye!” Then he bounces off.

The moment he leaves, the door opens again. Baekhyun flinches in surprise.

“Baekhyunnie!” Chanyeol’s mother rushes over. “Oh, Baekhyunnie!”

“Mrs Im.” He blinks. So this is what they were talking about? Mr Im walks in, eyes wide with concern.

“We were so worried, Baekhyun-ah!” Mrs Im rushes over with tears in her eyes. “So worried!”

“Chanyeol … he’s fine.” Baekhyun says softly, smiling. Mrs Im scowls, wiping her tears furiously.

“Excuse me?” She scolds. Baekhyun blinks again, taken aback. “Who cares about that child right now, of course we’re more worried about you.”

“Right!” Mr Im agrees enthusiastically. “How are you, son?”

“Oh.” Baekhyun feels his heart swelling again. “I’m fine.”

“Don’t move too much, dear.” Mrs Im says, patting Baekhyun on his shoulder lightly. “We don’t want you hurt.”

“How could you children involve yourselves in such a dangerous thing?” Mr Im booms. “You could’ve died!”

“The two of you are idiots.” Mrs Im cries. “I was thinking of having a full family by the end of this year. I was … I thought when Yoora married and you and Chanyeol got together, I thought I’d finally fulfil my life goals …” She cries even more.  “I thought I lost you.”

“We came here as fast as we could.” Mr Im says. “After all, we don’t live too far away …”

“Thank you.” Baekhyun says softly, smiling. “For visiting me.”

“What are you talking about, you silly boy?” Mrs Im sobs. “Of course we would visit you! We’re stuck here, you know. We told Chanyeol we weren’t going home, and that stupid boy booked us a hotel near this place.” She sniffs. “Just because he’s rich now and everything.”

“We wanted to be by your side every day until you can leave.” Mr Im says, grinning. “Also, we wanted to thank you.”

“Yes, oh yes!” Mrs Im exclaims, wiping her tears frantically. “Thank you. Thank you so much for protecting Chanyeol.”

“You saved his life, boy.” Mr Im says gruffly. “You were very brave.” Baekhyun flushes in embarrassment at the compliment.

“Yes, you did.” A new voice says. Baekhyun looks up and finds Lee Mansu standing at the doorway, a gentle expression in his eyes. He walks towards Baekhyun and stretches out his gloved hand. Baekhyun takes it, a little taken aback. “Thank you for protecting Master. If it weren’t for you, I might never have found him.”

“I –”

“There’s been someone outside who has been waiting to see you, but he wasn’t sure if he should come in.” Lee Mansu says. “He’s been pacing there for so long, and he keeps muttering to himself –”

“Can’t he come in?” Baekhyun blinks. Is Chanyeol scared of me? What for? “Let him come in!”

“I keep telling him.” Mrs Im whispers to her husband. “I keep telling him Baekhyun wouldn’t mind, but look at him, pacing there like he doesn’t belong here.”

“I’ll call him.” Mansu says as he walks towards the door. “I have to leave anyway.” Then he opens the door and closes it behind him.

“Don’t blame him.” Mrs Im says softly. “He’s been beating himself over it.” Then she grabs her husband and smiles sweetly. “We’ll be going now, dear.”  Mrs Im hurries to the door, then turns back last minute. “Oh, and call me mum!”

Baekhyun laughs when the door closes. He’s already feeling tired and he doesn’t know why. Somehow, the company of the people he cares about and feels relaxed with has made him completely forget about his wound, but now that he’s left alone, he feels the pain.

It had been painful, being shot. It was probably the most painful physical thing he had ever felt. When he creeped in disguised as someone else, he never knew what he could do to save Chanyeol from Joo Sung. After all, it was him (and maybe Chanyeol) against so many armed men. His heart was just telling him You have to protect Chanyeol, no matter what.

“This is the end of your Park Chanyeol days.” Joo Sung put his phone in his pocket. His hand lingered too long. That’s when Baekhyun knew why Joo Sung had that gun in his mansion.

Without thinking, without even fearing, Baekhyun had himself in front of Chanyeol the moment he knew Joo Sung was going to shoot. Briefly in his mind, he weighed the options – the unbearable but short-term pain of being shot or the unbearable pain of having to deal with no Chanyeol for the rest of his life?

He didn’t even need to think for that one.

Pain exploded from his body, but maybe God was kinder because he fell right onto Chanyeol. Somehow, during his most painful moment, he only felt happiness. He remembers finding it so hard to breathe and keep focus, but wanting to see Chanyeol as the last image on his mind was what had kept him going. Chanyeol had cried so handsomely, but the pained look on his face made his frenzied heart thump in sadness. He wanted Chanyeol to smile at him before he left. He wanted to be reassured that Chanyeol will be happy without him. Because at that moment, he was the happiest man in the world. With Chanyeol wanting to stay with him until his last moment was something that he couldn’t have asked for more. He understood Chanyeol’s wishes, he understood it more than anyone, yet it still left him a little sad. But who was he kidding? For the past few months he had been so happy he couldn’t describe it to anyone, not even Chanyeol. He was so happy that he hoped Chanyeol could see it without needing to hear it. He was so happy that even when he died early, he knew he had no regrets.

He was so happy, because finally he knew he deserved the happiness.

He was so happy, because finally he knew he was worth something.

He was so happy, because finally he understood that he didn’t deserve the pain. He was just someone who lost himself, but found himself.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Finally, the door opens, but it’s gentle, almost shy. Baekhyun looks up, smiling, waiting for his lover to come in (they’re lovers now, right?).

Instead, his face falls when he sees who it is.

His father.

“Baekhyun?” Mr Byun calls out timidly. Baekhyun’s mouth parts, wanting to say something, but not knowing what to say. He never expected this. After all, his father never showed that he cared the last time Baekhyun was here.

“I-I’m sorry, Baekhyun, but I wanted to see you.” Mr Byun says as he takes each step forward slowly and cautiously. Baekhyun shuts his mouth, silent. “I-I thought … after that time … You wouldn’t want me here …” His father then takes a seat next to him, still jittery. He looks as if he hasn’t slept for days.

“I’m sorry, son. Those years ago … That was my fault.” He says softly. Guilt is written all over his face. “It was all my fault. I was a bastard. I was the worst father you could ever have.” Mr Byun reaches out, but at the end hesitates and then retreats his hand, having them rest on the edge of the mattress instead. “It was your most vulnerable moment but I … I … I was afraid. I was afraid for myself, my reputation. I only thought of myself.”

“Which is why I totally understand if you want me out but I … I really wanted to see you. I-I wanted you to know that it was never you that was the problem, it was me. I want … I want you to know that I actually care about you, no matter how I treated you in the past.” There are tears in Mr Byun’s eyes. “You don’t have to forgive me, son … B-Baekhyun, but … I just wanted to …”

“Thank you, father.” Baekhyun says softly. Mr Byun stops short, blinking at him, tears rolling down his cheeks. “For visiting me.” As if to emphasise his point, Baekhyun reaches out bravely and holds his father’s hand in his own. Mr Byun stutters, looking down at their linked hands and back up at his son. Baekhyun can see his father’s wrinkles and white hairs beginning to protrude from his skull. Since when did his father age so much?

When was the last time he looked at his father properly?

“Baekhyun …” Mr Byun sobs. “B-Baekhyun …”

“I’m sorry I was a crap son.” Baekhyun whispers, but even so, his heart is swelling. So much.

“I was … I was so scared I’d …” Mr Byun’s sentences are cracked and broken. “I heard and I … I immedi-immediately came and I … I was just so scared …”

“I was … I was terrified that I … that I would lose you before I had a time … had a time to redeem myself …” Mr Byun continues, hiccupping in between. “I wanted … On the plane, all I thought was … how I didn’t treat you well, and how I … how even though you must’ve been so … ing lonely and … so hurt and vulnerable … I didn’t do … I didn’t do … All I cared about was … was myself and … my son had been … had been victim to one of the … the worst felonies and there I was … there I was … hoping the media wouldn’t catch on …” Baekhyun listens silently. Somehow, his father seems to be in more pain than he is right now. Maybe it’s because Baekhyun had let it go over a year ago, and his father had held on to this day.

“I forgive you.” Baekhyun says. When Mr Byun looks up, eyes red and puffy but so much like his own, he smiles. “I forgive you. Let’s not think about that anymore.”

He doesn’t know how brave he is. He doesn’t know how forgiving will always be a more courageous feat than holding on, but at that moment, Byun Kangmin sees it.

Sees how strong his son is.

“I love you, son.” Mr Byun says, voice trembling. “I love you …”

Baekhyun accepts it, remembers all his friends and Chanyeol’s parents and his own father coming to visit him … Not only visit him, but watch him with concern, wait to take a look at him, stay with him even though he’s unconscious, throw down everything down and just to fly over to where he is. He sees it all.

And he has never felt more loved than this moment.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Eventually, his father is forced to leave because the nurse says the patient is tired. Even though Baekhyun had argued that he was fine, the nurse had insisted and dragged Mr Byun away. Once he is gone, Baekhyun understands what she had been talking about, his eyes closing slowly as he slides back down onto the bed. He didn’t know this injury would render him so easily fatigued.

Slowly, he slips into the unconscious.

Halfway between dreams and reality, he briefly hears the door closing in the farthest crevices of his conscience. He hears shifting, loud footsteps, and something dropping dully to the floor. He hears more shifting, more footsteps, and then creaks to his bed.

All of this, he takes with a grain of salt as things he notices but not things he cares about, and immediately they erase from his mind. But then he feels a kiss on his forehead, gentle and sweet, and he just knows who it is.

Opening his eyes, Baekhyun finds Chanyeol’s face close to his, large eyes blinking innocently and lips widening into a grin.

“I didn’t mean to wake you up.” Chanyeol says softly, and even though he sounds guilty, he also sounds very thrilled and excited. Baekhyun smiles. Chanyeol is wearing an expensive suit, his hair slicked back by gel. His tie is a little undone, his collar messy, but somehow it adds to all the charm that seems to roll off Chanyeol’s body.

“I’m sorry, Yeol.” Baekhyun whispers, wanting to reach up and mess up that black hair. Chanyeol presses his forehead against Baekhyun’s. I’m sorry for everything I’ve done.

“Don’t say anything.” Chanyeol murmurs. “I should be the one that’s –”

“Shut up.” Baekhyun interrupts. “I’m sorry for leaving.” He can hear that spill from Chanyeol’s closed lips. Chanyeol stops and he chuckles. Baekhyun closes his eyes, drinking in the sound that he had missed so much.

“… I’m sorry.” Baekhyun breathes when Chanyeol lifts up his body with such gentleness and care, and when he opens his eyes, he finds Chanyeol watching him intently.

“For what?” Chanyeol leans down lower, as if eager to listen this time.

“For not going to the concert.” He says, a small frown hanging on his lips.

“You idiot.” Chanyeol’s warm hand cups his cheek, and he unconsciously leans into it. “As long as you’re safe, I don’t really care anymore.” Baekhyun closes his eyes, feeling the roughness of Chanyeol’s skin.

“Oh!” Chanyeol exclaims suddenly, startling Baekhyun. He watches as the taller retreats his hand to cover his mouth, curving his shoulders forward as he looks around just in case anyone has heard him. When they haven’t, Chanyeol removes his hand, leaning down and eyes glittering. “That er is sentenced to life imprisonment for theft, attempted murder, and actual murder, and that wasn’t even all he did. Can you believe it, Baek? He actually murdered people before … Anyway, he did more things but –”

“Bleh.” Baekhyun interrupts. Chanyeol blinks and stares at him weirdly.

“Excuse me?” He blurts, confused.

“I don’t really care what happens to him.” Baekhyun says. “Wait, let me rephrase. The amount of things in my hands is the amount of s I give.” He holds up his empty hands and grins. Then he reaches out and grabs Chanyeol’s tie, pulling him close until they’re inches away. “I do care about how handsome you look right now though.” His eyebrow is raised, and he’s smirking.

Chanyeol gulps, and Baekhyun’s so close he can see Chanyeol’s Adam’s Apple bobbing.

“Are you hitting on me?” Chanyeol gasps eventually, adorable ears reddening.

“Maybe.” Baekhyun teases, heart skipping. He wants to make it official again. Even though it’s clear right now what they are, he wants to say it. He takes a deep breath. “Chanyeol, do –”

“Date me again, Baek.” Chanyeol says quickly. Baekhyun blinks in surprise.

“Huh?”

“Date me, Byun Baekhyun!” Chanyeol says fiercely, cheeks pink. “I just … last time it was you that asked, so I thought it was time I be a little manlier.”

“That’s not asking, Chanyeol.” Baekhyun raises his eyebrow.

“Okay.” Chanyeol lets out a huge breath, then looks into Baekhyun’s eyes again. It’s funny how flustered Chanyeol is, considering they’ve done almost everything together and for each other. “Will you date –” Baekhyun pushes himself up and kisses Chanyeol on the lips, pulling Chanyeol’s tie to help him. When he pulls away, he collapses on the bed, panting. It had hurt to do that, !

“Is that … a good enough answer?” He pants, clutching his chest and wincing. “ …”

“You idiot!” Chanyeol exclaims, frantic hands reaching out as if to help, but it’s not actually doing anything. Baekhyun lets out a choked chuckle at what an idiot Chanyeol is, but then Chanyeol is leaning down and then he’s capturing Baekhyun’s lips with his, running his hand through Baekhyun’s hair. Baekhyun kisses back, wanting more, but Chanyeol lifts his head and disconnects their lips, grinning madly. He leans down again, preparing to capture Baekhyun’s lips, and Baekhyun anticipates it, closing his eyes, but just as their lips are about to touch, Chanyeol lifts his head up again, laughing, taking advantage of his situation.

“You .” Baekhyun mutters, still clutching his chest and wishing he could overcome the pain just to punch the taller. Chanyeol laughs some more, but then he wraps his long arms around Baekhyun and hugs him close. He doesn’t hug tightly like he usually does, and even though Baekhyun knows it will hurt him, he wants to feel that closeness again.

“You were so strong.” Chanyeol whispers. “But you didn’t have to do it all alone, you know?” Baekhyun smiles and buries his face in Chanyeol’s stiff neck, taking in the smell of vanilla and apples.

“You saved me, Baek …” Chanyeol’s voice breaks. “You saved me …”

Chanyeol didn’t want it. Even though Chanyeol is grateful for it, he never wanted Baekhyun to risk himself like that. He never wanted to feel the pain that came afterwards, knowing Baekhyun was dying in his arms. It was terrifying, and when he closes his eyes, he’ll always remember Baekhyun’s pale face and his limp body. It scares him, and for the past few days since that day, he had nightmares, terrified that when he wakes up the next day, something will happen to Baekhyun and he’ll lie on the floor just like he had on Chanyeol’s lap that day.

And now, when he closes his eyes, tears fall out and leave a trail down his cheeks. He’s trembling but he pushes the sounds in, afraid of worrying the other.

“It was you who saved me.” Comes Baekhyun’s soft voice instead. Chanyeol hugs a little tighter, not wanting to hurt his lover, but surprised by his boyfriend’s words. “You made me stronger, Chanyeol. That’s how I was able to do it, pretend to be someone I wasn’t, to leave everything I cared about for someone I hated. You see, I was never alone.” Baekhyun pushes Chanyeol a little, but Chanyeol doesn’t let go. He doesn’t want to let go, and there are so many reasons why he doesn’t want to let go. “You were always in here, Chanyeol … Your words were always in my heart. Whenever I was afraid, I would think of you, and your words, and your touch, and the sincerity and determination in your eyes, and I would swallow down my fear.” Baekhyun pushes again, but Chanyeol hugs even tighter and firmer, afraid that if he lets go and looks into Baekhyun’s eyes, he’ll cry harder because he nearly lost him. Instead, he closes his eyes and focuses on how it feels to have Baekhyun in his arms and Baekhyun’s voice in his ears. He closes his eyes and takes small, silent breaths and tries to blink his tears away. “Whenever I wanted to give up, or fallen low, I thought about your smile and how strong you were with your own problems … how you were an orphan … how you had low confidence because of it … and then I had the strength to pick myself back up.” Baekhyun pushes hard this time and gasps in pain. Immediately, Chanyeol lets go, grabbing Baekhyun’s shoulders just in case he falls, holding him firmly but gently, and finally letting Baekhyun capture and hold his gaze.

“Don’t you see, Park Chanyeol?” Baekhyun’s eyes are shining. “You were always my strength. When I … When I saw those videos of me … Back then, it hurt. It hurt so much … but how did I have the power and the will to keep watching? It was so easy to break down, but I kept going, because of you. Because you, who had bothered to see me, not just skin-deep. Because you, who had so unconsciously let me tell you all my problems so I would stop feeling so damn choked up all the time. Because you, Park ing Chanyeol, made me believe again, just when I was on the brink of losing myself in the darkness. Because you showed me that this world doesn’t just consist of hatred, betrayal, selfishness, and . You made me believe in myself. You … you made me love myself. You saved me a long time ago, and I couldn’t have done all I did … If it weren’t for you.”

Chanyeol watches Baekhyun, watches the way how, even though it’s so clearly tiring him to say so much, he’s still doing it, pushing out every single word so naturally as if it had always belonged on his lips, as if expressing himself was something he was always good at. Even though he’s flushing, even though he knows what he’s saying is cheesy, he’s still saying it because it’s genuine and true and sincere.

“No …” Chanyeol breathes. It’s true he can see Baekhyun’s soul. It’s true he can see his strength, but he’s given the credit to the wrong person. “You did this all yourself, Baekhyun.” Baekhyun frowns, but Chanyeol hasn’t finished yet. He grins, because Baekhyun is glowing, and so much that Chanyeol doesn’t think his light can ever be extinguished.

“I just had to show you the way.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun smiles, laughs as Chanyeol glances around frantically, then, with a cheeky smile on his lips, climbs onto the hospital bed and on top of Baekhyun. Looking triumphant, as if this is any amazing feat, the taller leans down and kisses the top of Baekhyun’s head.

Chanyeol hugs him, and the hug is more comfortable now that they’re in a better position. When Chanyeol hugs him, Baekhyun closes his eyes and hugs back, feeling the tightness, feeling the security, feeling the safety, feeling the warmth of it all.

Almost like the thing he had lacked his entire life.

“I’m home.” Baekhyun says, closing his eyes and leaning into the hearth that is Chanyeol’s chest.

“Huh?” Chanyeol is confused, but he doesn’t let go. Baekhyun laughs – it’s a loud, lively thing.

“I’m home!” He shouts even though his chest hurts from doing so, and when Chanyeol’s deep laugh rumbles throughout his chest such that it hits a chord in Baekhyun’s heart, Baekhyun knows no place has ever felt better than this.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The end.


If you enjoyed this fic, please comment, subscribe and upvote! Thank you so much for your support~