Chapter 13

Awkward
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Ferris wheel?" I blurted out. Has he gone mad? Like that lady said earlier today, the Ferris wheel was more of a couples thing. For couples. We are not couples but instead just some friends, right?

"Yeah. I thought the view would be nice since we've been admiring it all evening." he calmly explained slipping his hands into his pants pocket.

"Oh."

"Were you expecting something else...?" he stares at me with a raised eyebrow.

"Pfft, of course not," I say. It wasn't so much expecting anything, but Ferris wheels are a couple's things.

"Then let's go wait in line," he said moving a few feet so we were considered to be in line, rather than beside it.

Time passes, and we're getting seated in one of the small cabins. We stop every once in a while to let the other people on or off. It gives us time to stare at the view. When we had originally got on, Jin sat across from me, and now he has somehow made his way beside me. I gave him a confused look but he never acknowledged it.

He opened his mouth to say something, but my ringtone interrupted him, I gave an apologetic look and answered it.

"He--" I was cut off by an angered voice on the other line.

"(Y/N)!!" The infamous voice says through the phone.

"Jessica? Why are you calling me? I told you already I can't hang out tomorrow." I rubbed my temple with my free hand, knowing a headache would come along soon.

"I told you I'd call you later, right? We should hang out today, and go to another party or something! And we can send you home early, I know you're like that."

"Jessica I--" I was cut off -again- but not by Jessica. Jin snatched the phone out of my hands and hung up her. He put my phone into his pocket and stared back at me

"What was that for?" I asked, "She's gonna be seriously mad at me tomorrow!"

"Calm down, (Y/N)," he said in a calm voice. I stared at him like he was a madman. Before I could get another word out, he pointed to the glass behind me. I turned to look, and the sunset looked better than it did the entire evening. We stared at the sunset yet again. Minimal light from the sun shone onto the sky. The leftover sunlight reflected off of the moon, giving it a beautiful shine. The sky was a pretty mix of oranges, reds, and pinks, with a small hint of dark blue.

"It's a beautiful sight," Jin said from behind me. I nod in agreement, gazing at the mesmerizing sunset.

Throughout all the points where we were just staring at the sunset, and Jessica calling me, I forgot the one major thing.

I'm afraid of heights.

The mere thought of being up so high, makes my knees shake. Like a cat, fearlessly wandering into the tallest tree in the neighbourhood, then the instant regret hitting them after they've reached the tallest branch.

I  accidentally choked on my breath, causing me to cough a little. I slid away from the window, unintentionally bumping into Jin. He gave me a concerned look, "(Y/N) what's wrong?" he questioned.

"We're high up," I say in a wavering voice barely louder than a whisper.

Jin hesitates for a moment before pulling me into his warm embrace. I was leaning into his chest, my head partially in the crook of his neck. My breathing calms slightly, but still enough to make me somewhat lightheaded.

"(Y/N)... calm down," he said in a hushed voice. I started to breathe a bit slower, then the cabin jerked, moving us closer to the highest point. I heard Jin curse under his breath as he tightened his grip on me.

"Just close your eyes and focus on me alright?  Focus on my voice." he continued to whisper into my ear.  We started rocking back and forth but this time it wasn't because of the carts advancing, but rather Jin slowly rocking us back and forth. We stayed like that for a few moments. Jin then started to lightly hum a melody. I never expected him to have such an angelic voice. It's different than his normal speaking voice but similar. It was soothing, taking away any panic that was previously there.

The cabin started to ascend again, bringing us to the very top of the Ferris wheel. I could feel my heartbeat quicken, along with my breath. Jin seemed to notice, so he tightens his grip on me, turning into somewhat of a bear hug. It calming, the mixture of the hug and his sweet humming. The fear was still a pit in my stomach, but I felt it slowly start to wither away as the moment passes.

It was like being suspended a thousand feet above the ground, only being held by a cotton string. But instead of the string being a thin line of cotton, it was a 23-year-old man holding onto you so you don't fall.

"Thank you," I mumbled once the cabin took another stop. He stopped humming and looked down at me. We met eyes, and it was —as cliche as it sounds—like time had just stopped. His kind brown eyes seemed to have a little sparkle in them. They seemed to hold an entire universe in them. So deep and mesmerizing, that you could fall into them, and be left in complete paradise.

'Snap out of it (Y/N).'  My thoughts kept telling me, but something else made me ignore the thought; to continue staring into his eyes, and see where the moment takes us.

I felt the cabin shake again, but it didn't bother me that much this time around. Jin was the perfect distraction for a situation like this.

"(Y/N)?" Jin called, bringing me back to reality. His face glazed with concern and worry. "You good?"

I nodded and separated from him a little, although still close enough that our shoulders were touching. His gaze relaxed a little.

I turned and returned his gaze. "Thanks again, I seriously couldn't ask for a better friend," I said wholeheartedly. He glanced down at his lap and started playing with his fingers in his lap, mumbling a 'yeah' under his breath. I knew something was up, but I didn't push.

A few minutes pass, and we're done with the ride. The staff member helps us off the cabin, continuing with their job. I give a small thanks and wait for Jin.

We walk a bit before we reach the end of the amusement park. Most people are leaving; very few are entering. We move off to the side, making sure we're not in anyone's way before talking.

"I guess this is where we part ways, huh?" I say, rocking back and forth.

"Are you crazy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter