Responsibilities - KuhnGyeol

10 Thousand Heartbeats [UP10TION]

NC-15
KuhnGyeol
Warnings: Violence, Bullying (including some cruel words regarding Alzheimers), slight cursing
Switching some names in this, you might notice which ones.

Minsoo's little brother constantly get into fights with a classmate. Minsoo gets called in by the teacher, along with the classmate's dad, and the situation does not look good. Or maybe it does...?


Go Minsoo knew through first-hand experience that raising a younger brother was not easy. Especially not when their mom had passed away and their dad were getting treated in hospital for Alzheimer's disease. Furthermore, his brother was still in middle school and Minsoo has to work ungodly hours to pay the rent, Dongyeol's tuition fees, their dad's hospital bills and the food on their table.

Well, what can he say? He is a rather capable, twenty-five-year-old man. Besides, it could not get any worse. Or so he thought.

He was just done packing the last of the rice bags into the truck when his phone started ringing. His heart sank when he saw the hidden number on the screen, a hundred percent sure it was Dongyeol's school. He pressed the screen to answer and put the phone to his ear.

"This is Go Minsoo, how can I help you?"

"Go Minsoo-shi, I'm afraid I have to call you on a very important matter." No, really now? "Your brother has beaten up another student and we would really appreciate it if you could come here so we can resolve the matter eye to eye. This is the third time this week and I'm afraid he is facing suspension." At that word Minsoo felt his blood freeze, he could not afford that. Dongyeol could not afford that.

"Principal Yoon, is it really that serious? Have you heard testimonies from them both and their classmates?"

"We have decided to take this matter very seriously and to not depend on students thoughts of what happened. Violence in school is absolutely intolerable! The other students dad is already on his way. We will be expecting you too."

A click was heard, then silence. Oh, his bad luck today. He was pretty sure he knew which student Dongyeol had got into a fight with. His brother had mentioned No Hwanhee on several occasions, expressing his dislike for the other kid with no restraint. But Minsoo was not really sure why Dongyeol hated him. Whenever he had asked Dongyeol had just answered "I just do. Do I need a reason to?" and Minsoo had decided not to take the matters further.

He went to the dressing room to change out of his work clothes - really glad his boss thought it was unacceptable for them to use their own clothes at work - he washed up quickly and put a pair of cheap but nice fitting jeans, a white t-shirt and a plaid shirt in black, brown and beige. He had made a lot of sacrifices to be able to support himself and Dongyeol, clothes were not an exception. But he felt quite comfortable in those clothes he had so he was not going to complain. Dongyeol seemed to be the one pitying himself over what they didn't have.

He just barely caught the bus after running toward the bus stop. He sat down panting a bit, leaning back and taking a deep breath. Two high school girls sat just a few seats behind him, giggling, he was sure it was because of him but decided not look at them or encourage them in any way. That was also something he had forsaken for obvious reasons, he simply had no time for dating.

When the bus finally reached Dongyeol's school Minsoo got up, he was surprised to see the girls were getting off there too, not having noticed them wearing the same school emblem as Dongyeol's before. He could hear them walk behind him, whispering and giggling all the way to the front entrance. What had they even been doing outside of school grounds? Cutting class? Special assignment? These were questions running around Minsoo's head as he found his way to the principal's office, finding it easily not only because he had been here for matters regarding Dongyeol before, but he had also once attended this high school.

He knocked on the door and someone told him to come in. He bowed politely as he greeted the ones sitting there. His eyes met with Dongyeol's with the obvious question of 'what did you do this time?' obvious in the way he rolled them discreetly, Dongyeol just looked away.

"Go Minsoo, this is Kim Jinwook head of the disciplinary committee, No Hwanhee, the student your brother victimized and his father, No Sooil." The principal told him and Minsoo greeted each and everyone respectively. Kim Jinwook had a rather gentle smile with full lips making it even more noticeable. When Minsoo first laid eyes on No Hwanhee and his father his mind seemed to clear completely. 'Oh!' He now thought he had a clear understanding of Dongyeol's dislike for Hwanhee. Brand name watch, stylish appearance, his dad was wearing a suit that probably cost more than their rent. His eyes met with No Sooil and he quickly looked away in slight embarrassment. He sat down beside Dongyeol who was still avoiding eye-contact. Was Dongyeol perhaps jealous of Hwanhee who seemed to have everything Dongyeol didn't?

"Now, let's get this over with, shall we?" Principal Yoon started. "So since it's quite clear what has happened I thought it might be very appropriate to start with an apology from Go Dongyeol." Minsoo never even had time to question the principal himself before Dongyeol stood up in agitation.

"Why the hell should I apologize? He started it and now you give me all the ."

"Dongyeol-ah, sit down." Minsoo bit out at him, tugging him back down in his seat. He could see No Sooil observing him from where he was sitting right in front of Minsoo. The man had yet not said anything and it really unnerved Minsoo. Did he agree with principal Yoon? Is that why he stayed quiet? Did he already know the details of what had happened?

"I had hoped you would reflect on your actions so you can avoid suspension, but I see you have no such thoughts."

"Excuse me principal Yoon, but I would really like to know what happened. Have you taken any statements from other students?"

"I'm afraid I have not, children tend to be biased towards their friends and I don't want sentimental feelings to get in the way of a fair judgment." This seemed to quirk the interest of both Kim Jinwook and No Sooil.

"I thought you said you had all the facts?" Kim Jinwook asked Principle Yoon.

"I do. All facts that is needed at least."

"Excuse me principal Yoon, but what facts exactly? According to you there were no teacher there to witness the incident, so how can you have any fact at all if you haven't even got any witness statements?" This was the first time No Sooil had spoken up and his deep voice left an impression on Minsoo. He seemed to disapprove of how the principle was handling this issue.

"You have to understand No Sooil-shi that this is not the first time there has been violence involving this boy. You can see your son has been beaten up. I am on your side after all." Not until now did Minsoo realize that Hwanhee had said nothing at all, he just seemed to look towards empty air, not trying to blame Dongyeol, not trying to defend himself. It looked more like he felt regret over something.

"If you can see my son has bruises then I am absolutely sure you can see the bruises on Go Minsoo's son too." Minsoo almost choked at the misunderstanding. How young of a dad did he think Minsoo was? Or did he really look that old? He could hear Dongyeol snort out a laugh and elbowed his ribs. "And what exactly do you mean you are on my side? If my son has been the cause of any misconduct I'd very much like to know."

"I- I see." She turned toward Kim Jinwook, face completely flushed from the embarrassment. "Let us go and see if we find a student who saw what happened?" and she received a nod before she and Jinwook left the room. Jinwook could probably have done that himself, but Minsoo was sure the principal tried to avoid further confrontation from No Sooil.

A suffocating silence seemed to sweep over the room. Where everyone was avoiding contact with each other. Minsoo had to be honest with himself, he was impressed. He thought he would have to get on his knees and beg for Dongyeol not to be suspended, but thanks to No Sooil it seemed he might not have to.

"So, Go Minsoo-shi, what is your current occupation?" Minsoo jolted up at the sudden question and Dongyeol glanced between them "I don't mean to pry. You don't need to answer if you do not want to."

"Ah, don't worry about it. If I am to be honest, I have more than one job. Rice packaging and delivery, restaurant, sometimes I stand in for a friend as a bartender etcetera."

"Isn't that a little much for just you and your son?" And again with the son thing, once again Dongyeol cracked up and No Sooil glanced at him curiously.

"First of all, Dongyeol is my younger brother, not my son." Minsoo told him a tad bit abashed "And for working so much... let's just say I have my reasons." He didn't want to cause a pity party in the middle of it all, so he chose to not mention their father.

"Oh, I thought you looked a bit too young to be a parent. So that explains it." No Sooil laughed, corner of his eyes crinkling up handsomely, and his son seemed to look at him with an 'are you serious?' expression. For what reason Minsoo could not figure out. Just as Sooil seemed to be on his way asking another question Kim Jinwook and principal Yoon barged back into the office. The principal was basically fuming and Kim Jinwook looked sheepishly at them both.

"So, did you find someone who saw it all?" No Sooil asked.

"Even better. One of the students got it all on film." Showing them the smartphone in his hand. At this Hwanhee seemed to pale and sink down in his seat while Dongyeol looked away in what seemed like shame. So it seemed they both were very aware of the whole truth that was just about to be exposed.

Sooil and Minsoo went to stand behind Jinwook, both of them towering over the smaller man. As he stood beside Sooil, Minsoo noticed that they were around the same height. But Sooil were definitely more built which made him look larger nevertheless. Their shoulders brushed against each other and Minsoo had to force himself to focus as Jinwook clicked play on the video.

*   *   *

Dongyeol felt a harsh nudge on the back of his head. He chose to ignore it, despite knowing there was no use.

"Hey, Ddongyeol!" He heard the other kids snicker at the nickname. "Hey, poop-head, I'm talking to you." He sighed and got up, if he didn't get out of the classroom soon, he wouldn't be able to hold back. But a hand on his shoulder stopped him and spun him around. No Hwanhee were only slightly shorter than him, but if Dongyeol just stretched his back a bit it would at least look as if he towered over him. That's why he did it while taking a step forward, making Hwanhee take a step back.

"Unless you want that face of yours smashed up I suggest you leave me alone." He threatened, but Hwanhee didn't seem fazed.

"Why? Is it because you have got used to people leaving you alone? Like your mother? And your father? No, wait... you are just an almost orphan. I'm sorry, my apologies" Dongyeol imagined punching Hwanhee's teeth out. He took a deep breath and decided to try and leave once again.

"Why are you leaving? Are you gonna go and see your dad? See if he remembers you today? You know what, maybe he is just pretending to be sick so that he don't have to care for his two worthless sons." At this Hwanhee received a shove, sending him into a desk behind him. He cursed before launching a punch at Dongyeol. It didn't last for long, but they managed to get in some pretty nasty hits and gain a few bruises each.

That's when a teacher entered the classroom and Hwanhee was quick to react, pointing at Dongyeol "He just attacked me that crazy bastard!"

*   *   *

Sooil's face looked grim and Hwanhee seemed to have turned even paler. Minsoo had felt his heart sink at what he saw. He was sure Sooil had seen his hurt expression because he sent him an apologetic look and patted his shoulder.

"Now principal Yoon, do you think this would have brought good results if one kid was suspended and all of a sudden someone uploaded this video for everyone to see?" The principal adjusted her glasses and apologized softly, looking as if she wished to be anywhere but there.

"Now, what consequences should these boys face." He looked at Kim Jinwook instead of the principal, his trust for her completely diminished.

"It is clear they both were at fault at some point. They could also both have caused harm to other students. I would rather not suspend any of them, so maybe some after school community service instead of club activities? Though it might be best they don't do this together" Jinwook proposed.

"Why not? Maybe letting them clean up together can help them get over their differences." Sooil suggested and Minsoo must say he didn't oppose the idea at all.

"But what if a fight breaks out? And you saw there was bullying involved too."

"I agree with No Sooil-shi. That's exactly why they should face the consequences together." Sooil seemed quite surprised that Minsoo agreed with him. "I don't think the way to stop future conflict is by avoiding it, but to get to the root of the problem."

"I couldn't have said it better myself." Sooil added, now looking at Minsoo with something akin to interest in his eyes.

"Dad! Are you serious? No way in hell am I going to play housewives with this fu-"

"Mind your language, No Hwanhee!" Sooil cut him off "I would very much prefer that they learn to accept each other so something like this won't happen again."

"Now Kim Jinwook-shi, principal Yoon, what do you say?"

The principal put on the sweetest smile she could seem to manage at the moment. "If that is the guardians' wishes, then so be it."

"Good!" Sooil said with a smile

They all got ready to leave but before Sooil grasped the door handle he turned toward the principal, Minsoo looked between them.

"Can I expect a follow-up meeting in a few weeks?"

The principal just laughed and then answered with "of course."

Sooil then turned to Minsoo and sent him a lopsided smile that Minsoo swore should not be able to make his heart race like it did but Minsoo managed to smile back. As Sooil opened the door, Dongyeol stormed out of it. Sooil then held it open for Minsoo with a slight bow and a gesture of his hand, and he was sure it was with disbelief that Hwanhee looked at his own father.

*   *   *

There were two weeks since Hwanhee had been doomed to work with Dongyeol, cleaning one room after the other and then running several errands for the teachers or the janitor. And there were two weeks left in this current hell. He and Dongyeol had barely spoken to each other in these past two weeks. The worst part of all was that his dad had asked for Dongyeol's brother's phone number. Just to check if Hwanhee behaved he had said. Excuses. Hwanhee was sure his dad messaged Go Minsoo to ask how his day had been or offered to drive Dongyeol home if their classes ran late and their punishment later. His dad actually did drive Dongyeol home once and the only thing that gave Hwanhee some comfort was that Dongyeol didn't seem particularly fond about it either.

His dad's uality bothered Hwanhee a lot. He was worried about what people would say about him, what they would say about his dad. He would prefer it if his dad met a woman instead, he did swing both ways after all, but he had never before seen him look at someone the way he looked at Minsoo. Hwanhee hated it. He really hoped that Minsoo didn't share the same feelings.

He really felt the need to talk about it with someone, but his friends were most likely not open minded about homouality. He looked to his right where Dongyeol were occupied cleaning the windows in the locker room. Hwanhee had slacked off numerous times, but Dongyeol just seemed to keep on going, not even complaining when Hwanhee stopped. He wondered...

"Dongyeol-ah-" he started and Dongyeol stopped wiping the window and looked at him where he was sitting on the floor, back against some of the lockers.

"Did you want anything?"

"What do you think about gays?" He felt like face palming, why did he ask Dongyeol of all people.

"Why you ask? You aren't falling for me I hope." He sent Hwanhee a eating smile.

"Don't make me puke." Hwanhee threw a moist rag at him, earning himself a laugh. But then Dongyeol seemingly got serious and for the first time, Hwanhee realized how much Dongyeol looked like Minsoo.

"What about them?"

"Just forget that I asked." Hwanhee got up and started working again, rubbing some dirt from the window frames.

"My dad said-" Dongyeol started but stopped suddenly, seemingly thinking about whether he should continue or not. "Before my dad got sick he taught my brother and me that just because someone's preferences are different, it doesn't make you any less human. He told us to always treat people right no matter their religion, status, ual orientation or gender." He got quiet for a moment before continuing "And to be true to ourselves."

There was a silence between them, a rather comfortable silence while Hwanhee thought of what Dongyeol had just told him. He realized it must have been hard for him to talk about his dad and more than he was comfortable to admit, Hwanhee felt actually sorry for ever insulting Dongyeol's family. He wished he dared to open himself up like that to someone.

Maybe...

"I think my dad is falling in love with a man..." He dared to say.

"Oh." Dongyeol said simply. Then realization seemed to hit him. "Oh!" He looked at Hwanhee whose face held a tense expression. Dongyeol never pressed the matter further and Hwanhee was thankful for that.

"Dongyeol-"

"Hm?"

"-I'm sorry for what I said about your dad."

*   *   *

Minsoo looked at the screen of his phone with disbelief.

Did Sooil just ask him out?

What should he reply?

Could he really afford the luxury to date right now?

Would it be wise to date a man? - although he did confess to himself that Sooil were indeed attractive and Minsoo had stayed up several nights, unable to stop thinking about the man who was older than him by fifteen years.

He had got to know Sooil a lot more through both calls and text messages. Sooil had become a dad at age twenty-one with his girlfriend after they had got drunk at a party and made the unwise choice of having unprotected . His girlfriend had been devastated since she had plans for further studies in the states and a baby were out of the option. Since he felt responsible for what had happened Sooil offered to take the baby. The couple had broken up, Sooil took on the role as a guardian and the mother visited whenever she returned to South Korea. Sooil had told Minsoo that Hwanhee were hurt by his mother's lack of attention for him and it had never been easy to comfort him.

Sooil's parents luckily had no objections to him taking custody of his son, they found that from the day he was born that was the most responsible thing he had ever done and his dad had decided Sooil was mature enough to be brought into the family company.

Minsoo liked hearing Sooil talking about himself, seemingly having no regrets about his choices. He was admirable. That thought alone made Minsoo type a response.

'I'd love to!'

And send.

He felt his hands shaking.

*   *   *

Dongyeol had suspected it. He was sure his dad had too back when he lectured them both about accepting the difference of others. Minsoo had never actively looked at girls and mentioned if one was pretty or the other. Minsoo could blame it on being busy, but he never really had taken an interest anyways. He had turned down every confession, even from the most popular of girls, and Dongyeol had already then started thinking. He had brushed it aside, but when he had once seen his brother kiss Kim Wooseok, his friend currently working as a bartender when he had visited once, the questions came back to him. Wooseok was just a friend of course and Dongyeol was sure they might just have taken some comfort with each other, but he still kept an eye on his older brother.

When Hwanhee had mentioned his dad being in love with a man Dongyeol didn't think much of it at first, but remembering the way he had seemed to look at Minsoo curiously he was sure he knew exactly which man Hwanhee meant. And all of the sudden he was in the same boat as his nemesis. But both of them had found they could actually really open up to each other. Both having things they want to hide but felt the need to share with someone.

Dongyeol now watched from his window how Sooil picked Minsoo up, going on their first date. He felt curious about what they were going to do. He went over to his desk and picked up his phone before making a call.

"Hey, this is Hwanhee." Dongyeol could hear the voice of his newfound confidant.

"Your dad just picked up my brother." He was sure Hwanhee could hear the insecurity in his voice.

"Yeah... he mentioned they had a date today. Do you want to come over?"

"To your place?"

"Yeah."

Dongyeol felt unsure, but he did not want alone at the moment. "Ok."

*   *   *

Sooil loved it when Minsoo laughed, dimples becoming visible and face shining up. They had been to a restaurant where they were able to sit in a room by themselves and avoid prying eyes and malicious talk. Sooil wanted Minsoo to enjoy their date without having to worry about conservativism and closemindedness. This way Sooil could easily observe who Minsoo really was, as well as appreciate his handsome features. 

Sooil had fallen for Minsoo the very moment he saw him. Words could not describe the feelings when he first laid eyes on the younger man. Sooil had almost felt like a creep showering Minsoo with so much attention. But Minsoo seemed to appreciate the affection Sooil showered him with.

"So how did you even figure out Hwanhee was just as responsible?" Minsoo asked as Sooil told him why he didn't suspect Dongyeol was a sole suspect all those weeks ago.

"When I was a teenager I was accused of fighting and damage of school property a lot. I was quite the delinquent back then." Minsoo listened to him attentively, eyes glistening with curiosity. "But whenever I had been accused of beating up another student when we had both actually fought my dad always used to say 'it takes at least two to fight' and then he would lift up the hands of the other boys for the parents, principal, and teachers to see that their knuckles were in just as bad shape as mine." Sooil held up his hand "You see these scars." He pointed at the tip of his knuckles. "They are from some pretty severe fights. When you hit someone with your bare fists it's not only the one you hit that get bruised, your fists do too. The moment I saw Hwanhee he hid his hands, but I managed to see his knuckles anyways. That's how I know he was just as involved as Dongyeol"

"I see." Minsoo had reached for Sooil's hand and as he traced his fingers softly over the scarred knuckles, Sooil could feel a tingle run through his hand. He laughed and Minsoo looked up at him with raised eyebrows.

"Can I kiss you?" Sooil asked and he could see Minsoo's cheeks redden. He seemed to think for a moment before nodding and leaning forward, making Sooil able to reach over the table, put his hand on Minsoo's neck and softly pulling him in. Minsoo's hand had found purchase of Sooil's sleeve, his other being used as support by placing it on the table. Sooil first graced Minsoo's lips softly with his, angling his head a bit to avoid their noses from getting in the way, and pressed forward, relishing in the feel Minsoo's warm and moist mouth. The kiss was soft and Sooil pulled back a bit, looking into Minsoo's half opened eyes, before leaning in again, deepening the kiss and feeling Minsoo return it. It tasted like heaven and Sooil wished it could last forever. But as the door to their room was opened and a feminine gasp was heard along with an apology, he decided to pull back.

"Do you think we upset her?" Minsoo asked worriedly.

"I have no idea if I am to be honest."

But as the same waitress came back, blush gracing her face as well as an embarrassed smile while placing their desert on the table and whispering a small "I wish you both happiness." before exiting again, they found there would be no need to worry. And they made a note to return to this restaurant.

*   *   *

Sooil just wanted to check on Hwanhee before driving Minsoo home. But as Minsoo sat in the car, waiting, he received a message.

'I think you would want to see this.'

From Sooil and he was not sure what could possibly be so interesting. Not until he got into Sooil's house and saw what he had found on the couch in the living room. Dongyeol and Hwanhee appeared to have fallen asleep while watching a movie. But surely it seemed as if they had tired themselves out by playing video games first. Minsoo felt delighted to see a bridge had been built between his brother and Hwanhee. Apparently doing chores together had worked.

Sooil leaned in and whispered to him "Do you want to spend the night here too?" Raising an eyebrow and showcasing his lopsided smile in a suggestive manner.

"I see no reason not to." Minsoo replied quietly. "But nothing more than kissing and cuddling."

"Deal."


A/N: Yes! First oneshot for this collection done! And I swear I felt like giving up and deleting it all several times *faints briefly*.