viii. selfish

Fatal Remedy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

chapter viii. | selfish

 “Oh my god, that was so—” Suhyun swooned, eyes glittering.“Wow.”

Jisoo laughed. “Are you talking about the movie or Seo Kang Joon?”

“Both!”

Hayi could almost see love hearts in Suhyun’s eyes as they walked out of the theatres, the sliding doors closing behind them.

A popular rom-com was their choice today with Suhyun gushing about it for weeks. Though thrillers were more of her preference, Hayi enjoyed every second she got to spend with her girlfriends. It was a much-needed break from all the crazy things that have been happening in the past two weeks.

The girls stopped by an ice cream parlour across the road and lazed there for a good two hours, chatting about whatever came to mind. For Suhyun it was about the hottest dramas to date. As expected of the avid drama fan that she and Jisoo had to deal with on a daily basis. Not that they minded.

“How do you guys not know about it? Its teasers literally play on every commercial break on MBC,” the younger girl exclaimed in one exhale.

Jisoo pushed the bowl of matcha ice cream towards the girl. “God, Suhyun, breathe! Here, have another spoon before it melts.”

Hayi snorted at the sight of Jisoo force-feeding the girl. Suhyun didn’t fight it and swallowed it all in mere seconds, perplexing Hayi on how she did not get a brain-freeze.

“But where have you been all hiding?” Suhyun went on. “Under a rock? Hayi, you go on the internet all the time, right? Haven’t you seen the drama already trending on Naver?”

Hayi also stole her spoonful before replying. “Yeah, but I didn’t care enough to find out.”

Suhyun gasped loudly as if stung.

“Anyway, don’t you think you stay indoors too much, Suhyun? Too many dramas?” Hayi retorted with a smirk, and Suhyun shot her a glare in return. But before all hell could break loose, Jisoo pushed the two girls apart,

“Hayi, stop teasing Suhyun and Suhyun, stop taking Hayi seriously. She’s obviously winding you up,” Jisoo chided lightly as she usually did while gathering her belongings. “I don't want you guys getting into a catfight just when I’m about to go to work, you hear?”

Hayi only snickered and clamped a hand on the pouting Suhyun’s shoulder. “Sorry, Suhyun. I can’t help it when you get fired up over your dramas.”

“Whatever.” She puffed her cheeks out, much to the older girls’ amusement.

“Okay, so I’m dropping Suhyun off on the way,” Jisoo said. “Hayi, you coming with?”

“Nah, I’m going to stay back a little longer.”

After exchanging hugs outside the parlour, the three girls finally began to part ways. Jisoo and Suhyun turned the other way but not before bidding Hayi another farewell.

“Bye Hayi. Have fun and be careful,” Jisoo called.

“See you on Monday!” Suhyun added with a wave that Hayi returned. Then, they were gone.

She had no more plans for today with just homework waiting at home. Her mother took another weekend shift this week as well so only boredom would be her companion. That was why Hayi decided a little window shopping wouldn’t hurt.

She went to the popular mall nearby and came across a store that sold electronic goods. It reminded her of the ty charger cord she had to put up with at home. Maybe it was time to get a new one.

The phone section was huge and while Hayi was no technology whizz, she knew what she had to get. The problem was actually finding it. Lost in her endeavours, she failed to detect the presence behind her. It was only when their voice reached her ears did she jump.

“Hello, ma’am. Do you need some help?”

Hayi was yanked from her internal debate when recognition came to her. She turned and just as she expected, the person in mind was right there.

“Oh,” he gasped.

“Whoa,” she returned. “I didn’t know you worked here?”

“Hayi-noona!” Jung Chanwoo’s eyes smiled into crescents, turning his customer service smile into something more familiar.

“Finally found a job, huh?” Hayi nudged him lightly. “Congrats.”

She heard that the kid has been trying to find a job and from the looks of it, he landed one at last. Judging from this fresh-face radiance, it was recently too.

“Yeah, my cousin worked here before so he managed to pull some strings.”

She felt very happy for him though she was slightly envious. She wished she could find a job soon too instead of that volunteering thing she did.

The two caught up despite seeing each other yesterday at lunch. Despite being in the same circle, Chanwoo naturally stuck to his hyungs like glue and if he wasn’t doing that, he was playing games on his phone.

Hayi liked him. He tended to be quiet but can get very naughty if he wanted to. She recalled the many pranks he pulled on his hyungs before with amusement.

As their conversation slowed, Chanwoo’s eyes dimmed a little and the smile that he presented a while ago faltered. It was then, his inner worries came to light.

Just from the sight, she somehow knew why. The rumours and that awkward hitch during lunch replayed on her mind.

Chanwoo shifted on his feet. “I know this sounds weird, but how is hyung doing?”

He didn’t even have to clarify which hyung. With a faint smile, she patted him on the arm.

“He’s fine, Chanwoo. I already talked to him about it.” A lie. She didn’t discuss it with him, she merely distracted him from it. And that didn’t make her feel any better. “He should be fine now.”

“I hope so because we all know the rumours aren’t true. We know how he is. His intentions were pure. He just wanted to protect you from that jerk.”

Her heart stirred at his words. What a sweet kid. At least, Hanbin had loyal friends like Chanwoo, who looked up to him no matter what.

“Even if he’s been acting weird lately,” he continued. “Not going to the courts later today wasn’t that surprising. He hadn’t been hanging with us for quite some time now.”

That got Hayi’s attention. Oh, really now?

“Again?” Yunhyeong’s voice echoed in her head from yesterday.

“Right,” Hayi said. “That’s what you said, isn’t it? That he has been busy last week as well?”

“And the week before that and the week before that. The only time he’s with us outside of school is at those parties he invites us on.”

Hayi was stumped. As expected, she didn’t know it was to this extent. So he has also withdrawn from the boys as well? And here she was thinking it was only her who had been hurting. She suddenly felt really selfish.

The sound of a vibrating phone startled the two from their thoughts.

“, I thought I silenced that,” Chanwoo mumbled as he patted himself down for the device. “My boss will kill me…” his mutterings ceased once he looked at the screen.

“Chanwoo?”

She soon understood as she caught the familiar name on the screen.

Speak of the devil. It was Hanbin.

Chanwoo seemed taken aback as she was but ducked behind an aisle to answer it. Loyal indeed, Hayi thought. He risked a call just for his hyung.

“Excuse me,” he told her apologetically.

Hayi gave them space and tottered back to the other side of the aisle. Her search was useless, of course, because Hayi couldn’t help but sneak glances and watch the series of emotions on Chanwoo’s face.

A minute passed before she heard her name.

“—Actually, I bumped into Hayi just now. She just finished watching a movie with Jisoo-noona and Suhyun.” A bated breath, and then, “hyung? You there?”

Chanwoo then looked back up and met her gaze. She walked over for curiosity’s sake and was surprised at Chanwoo’s next words.

He ended he call and said: “He told me to tell you to check your phone.”

As if on cue, her phone vibrated inside her small bag. But before she could take it out, she heard Chanwoo move from his position. “I have to go. I might get into trouble for talking to a customer this long. See you on Monday.”

Sensing hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter