Eight – Cepherus

Infernal Saga (I & II)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eight – Cepherus

 

Last night was a little longer than the previous ones, Baekhyun might say. He and Jongin argued for the first time whether they let the Sabre die or save it. Of course, Jongin just wanted what’s best for them. The Sabres they first met were obviously aggressive and if it wasn’t for the bad news they received, who knows where they could be right now. They could have been caught and sentenced for trespassing.

As for Baekhyun, he understood where Jongin was coming from. However, he wasn’t raised to let people even if they’re not his kind, be ignored when they clearly need help—especially if he could offer some. He might not know or notice but the reason why he managed to win was because Jongin learned to accept him as he was and obviously, the Herven could never say no to him.

So that night, instead of wallowing, Baekhyun spent his time making some herbs to heal the poisoned wounds of the Sabre. He noticed that they were laced with sedative too, one of the reasons why it passed out. Baekhyun only stopped when he’s sure that there’s no more poison in the wounds. He made it so by preventing the blood circulation in the infected part, and draining rest which were already contaminated. To make sure that the wounds will heal, he added some herbal leaves on it and ripped the hem of his robe, tying it securely on it.

Thankfully, the Sabre was fast asleep during the process. Baekhyun could only hope the best for him once it regained its consciousness.

 

 

∞ ♡ ∞ ♡ ∞

 

 

The hot temperature of the south might be the reason why Jongin and Baekhyun couldn’t rest well. Jongin was the first one to wake up, skin covered with thin layer of sweat and hair matted on his forehead. But then it all went away when he saw the Sabre from last night, already awake and dangerously close to Baekhyun.

He immediately scrammed to shield the Aeri, panting as he met the bright feline sapphire eyes of the Sabre. Jongin spread his arms on both sides for defense. He wouldn’t let anyone near Baekhyun especially in his most vulnerable state.

The Sabre blinked lazily at him, before stepping back, “I see you’re quite overprotective of him…” it said. Jongin scowled at the Sabre, clearly not liking how it sounded younger than how it looked.

“What do you want?” Jongin hissed. “You don’t get to stand closer, cat.”

The Sabre visibly frowned upon hearing the spite in Jongin’s tone. But before he could even comment anything about it, he noticed that the Aeri was waking up. Soon the latter saw what was happening and thankfully took the opportunity to calm the weary Herven.

“Jongin,” Baekhyun softly warned, a hand placed on the said man’s shoulder. “It’s fine, he won’t hurt me.”

“I don’t trust him.” Jongin argued. “His kind knows no sympathy. They’re selfish and proud. Even if you treated his wound, I’m sure he wouldn’t think twice to attack you if he needed to.”

“If he meant harm, he would have killed us already.”

Again, because Baekhyun said so, Jongin stepped aside, but didn’t take his menacing glare off of the werecat. Meanwhile, Baekhyun turned to the Sabre with a careful smile, before shifting his gaze down to the injured leg and side. The Sabre followed his look before grunting, “It’s okay now, don’t worry about it…”

Baekhyun nodded, straightening his back when he sat up. “I’m glad to hear that…” he said softly. The Sabre sat on his bum, facing the two of them. It bowed his head slightly, closing his eyes briefly when he introduced himself, “My name is Sehun…”

The Aeri took it as a sign of kindness that he didn’t see in those first hybrids. It seems like Sehun was not as prejudiced like his kind. If he was, he wouldn’t be thanking an Aeri for taking care of him when he’s at his lowest. He would have turned his back now instead of sitting there with them. The young Aeri was lost in his thoughts that he didn’t see how the Sabre was fondly looking at him.

“S-Sehun,” Baekhyun tried to roll the name on his tongue. It was a smooth and oddly nostalgic. The Sabre took a deep breath, before nodding. The Aeri’s sweet smile followed, introducing himself and Jongin. “If it wasn’t much to ask, why are you outside the Shaha? I thought that you…you don’t meddle with the affairs if it doesn’t have to do with your kind?”

Sehun, even in his cat form, obviously looked dejected upon hearing the question. To be honest, Sehun looked more elegant than the Sabres they have met before. His furs and mane were exquisite, soft, shining gold and sunset scarlet. His face was angular, his jaw was prominent while his white tusks were sharp and long, peeking out of his mouth. Baekhyun noted the unique marks of sapphire on his cheeks, eyes and forehead, one that matches his bright eyes.

Shaking his head, Sehun bowed his head first before looking up at the cerulean sky. No clouds could be seen at the moment, but the wind suddenly blew so hard that it made up with the scorching hotness of the weather.

“Is that how we turned out to be?” Sehun mindlessly asked. “It’s quite saddening to hear.”

“What do you mean?” Baekhyun asked, frowning. Jongin huffed and shook his head in disbelief, choosing to just sit beside the Aeri and listen to their conversation.

The Sabre left his spot as he walked ahead of them. He stopped after a couple of steps. Silence passed between them before Sehun turned to them. With a melancholic voice, he asked. “Do you really not know, Baekhyun?”

“K-Know what?”

Sehun turned away and gazed at the vast golden field. “That this world is dying.”

It seems like the world stopped spinning right then, “What?” Even Jongin froze on his spot. Sehun spun to face the two of them properly.

“Cepherus is dying.”

“But what makes you say that? Cepherus is perfectly fine as far as I know—“

“Do you see this field, Baekhyun?” Sehun interrupted, pertaining to the place where they are right now. “This used to be a garden of different kinds of floras, but now even the grass had dried out that the emerald turned into dull gold.” The Sabre looked up, “The te

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter