Nine - The Return of the Archmage

Infernal Saga (I & II)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nine - The Return of the Archmage

 

Holding the vial tight in his grip, Chen had travelled for days. Barefooted and barely covered from heat, the Garnlok mage wanted nothing more than to reach his home. He wasn’t sure how long it has been for Cepherus, but it had been years from the other side. The young prince who introduced himself as Hyun, had grown into the exact replica of Baek Ahn.

 

No doubt, that he was the lost Moon Child. He felt the power of the moon the moment those eyes bled into the white light. It was the same power he had felt from Baek Ahn. And he, as an Archmage, master of magic, knows how to identify these kind of aura.

 

The prince risked his safety just to let Chen escape, spent years to make this vial of moon dust that would heal the Cephereans. Oh, how the mage wanted to break down. He wanted to kneel and ask for forgiveness.

 

I failed you, but you still saved me.

We killed you, but you’re still here, wanting nothing more than our salvation.

Baek Ahn, I will forever be in debt.

I will not fail you this time. I will fulfill what you wished for.

And I’ll come back to your side.

As your loyal servant, till the day I die.

 

Chen knew he was almost home when he saw the silhouette of Garnlok Empire from the horizon. His throat had ran dry, feet bleeding from blisters and wounds. The sun was killing him, and the expected symptoms of the plague didn’t appear on his skin anymore. He’s dead tired, hungry and thirsty. Yet he pushed himself to take one step after another.

 

Just a little more.

A little more.

He’s almost there.

 

 

The moment he fell down on his knees, Chen was already at the gate. His vision blurred, blotches of black appeared. He could barely hear the people’s screams. He didn’t feel the arms that carried him from the ground. As weak as he could be, Chen’s grip on the vial didn’t loosen.

 

 

****

There was a tale that the Garnloks tell their children before bedtime. It was the tale of the brave Archmage who sought for the plague’s cure. His name was Chen.

 

Chen was the Moon Child’s right hand man, a loyal servant who grieved all by himself when the moon died. The children didn’t know much of him, but after the Archmage left and began missing for years, the whole empire grieved for his loss. They believed he had died out there. The Sun Child has searched for the mage, but after a couple of years, he too had given up. They could no longer feel his presence.

 

Who would have known that one day, they would see the Archmage walking towards the entrance of their kingdom?

 

 

****

 

“Give way! Please, I am in a hurry, make way for me!” a voice rang across the corridors. The servants, students and even the other mages who gathered outside the room where the Archmage was taken have parted ways to give space for their healer. The man in his blue robe was carrying a tray of medicinal herbs. His long, brunette hair reaches his waist, half of it was tied up in a neat bun.

 

“Is he breathing? His vitals?” the healer asked his assistant who was in charge of the Archmage.

 

“He’s breathing, Yixing, but his energy is weak. He’s also dehydrated and malnourished. He’ll need a lot of nutrients back in his system.”

 

Yixing put a palm over his old friend’s forehead, feeling the soft vibration of his energy. No wonder he passed out like that in front of the entrance. He must have been travelling for days, taking a toll on his strength and power.

 

“Treat his wounds, I’ll work on his energy. You,” he pointed at the other assistant healer, “Make sure you make him drink the herbs I brought by using this drop. Don’t overdo it or he’ll choke. You,” he pointed at another one, “Tell everyone to go back to their posts, have the students return to the academy. Once they are done, send a message to Prince Sehun of Shaha, tell him that the Archmage has returned.”

 

Chen laid lifelessly on the bed. Yixing didn’t know what happened to him, but he’s in serious state and needed immediate attention. He ripped off the torn robe he’s been wearing, hovered his hand over the energy points - one in the middle of his chest, and one over his forehead.

 

Particles of green and white light slowly formed underneath his palm. Yixing made circular motions with it, pushing the plasma of light inside the Archmage’s body. Once the first push has been made, Chen’s body jerked from the bed, his chest rising as he’s electrocuted. Yixing soothes him back, pulling out the plasma of light gently.

 

“Come on, Chen. Come on.” Yixing muttered. “Don’t you dare die on me.”

 

He did the second push, this time, the reaction was uncalled for. Chen’s right hand, which was balled into fists, sparked with indigo lightning. It didn’t escape his eyes, but Yixing did not stop there. The third push had Chen jerking again, the fourth had no reaction at all. The last push Yixing made, Chen opened his eyes and sat up abruptly, startling them all.

 

Strands of dark hair obscured the Archmage’s view, but as soon as he heard a familiar voice calling his name, Chen turned to the healer.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter