Seven – Birth of Baek Ahn

Infernal Saga (I & II)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seven – Birth of Baek Ahn

 

The archmage disappeared—that’s for certain. They looked everywhere in the kingdom where he could possibly hide but they didn’t find him. The king, although disappointed, decided to let it go for now since Chen wouldn’t be able to leave their dimension easily. If he’s still out there, wherever he might be, he’s good as dead in a couple of days.

Chanyeol, instead, took his time putting fences around the prince. He had become more protective and watchful of the prince’s moves and activities. He lessened his working hours to spend quality time with Hyun Ryu, and of course, to make sure that he doesn’t wander anywhere else.

Selfish, he calls himself, but he doesn’t regret it.

 

As the prince grew, Chanyeol started seeing Baek Ahn’s face more clearly than his younger years. The face hidden behind the veil. It became harder for him to suppress his feelings. Only a few more years and he’ll come of age and be an adult. Until then, he had to hide how much he craves for him.

Hyun Ryu wouldn’t understand.

 

Today, he had accompanied the prince in the royal library. Hyun was actually surprised when he entered the room, but smiled brightly when Chanyeol said he’s free for the rest of the day. Hyun leaped from his seat and flew towards him with vigour, clashing his body against the king as he hugged him.

Chanyeol laughed, combing the prince’s scarlet hair, “You missed me don’t you?”

“I always miss you,” the twelve year old prince pouted. “So to make it up to me, I want you to find an interesting book here and read it to me,” Hyun crossed his arms over his chest, a playful smirk stretched his rosy lips.

Chanyeol’s eyes glint with laughter, “Okay, my prince,” he looked around, humming. His deep voice was oddly pleasant to the prince’s ears. “Ah,” he squinted his eyes to the direction of a particular shelf, “I think it’s time for you to know about my favourite,” Chanyeol looked at the prince who had a curious expression.

With a knowing smile, Chanyeol’s fiery wings spread from his back, almost starting the prince. The king rarely use it within the castle’s walls but whenever he does, he would always find it so beautiful and tempting to touch.

The king flew towards the upper part of the high shelf, tracing his hand against the sewn old books there. Hyun doesn’t know the things stored in that shelf. A few months of staying in here wasn’t enough to familiarize himself even with the categories in each section. That’s how many the records are in their library.

After a minute of searching, it seems that the king found what he was looking for. Chanyeol pulled out an old looking book. When he returned to the waiting prince, Hyun was amazed how the book looked. It was deep crimson, the color of blood itself. Hard bind, the book was almost four inches thick. On it’s cover was an embossed image of a dragon and phoenix, facing each other and their wings meeting in between. Their claws were pressed against each other’s, like two hands intertwined. Their tails dangled, twisted with each other. Hyun found it intimate and beautiful.

“What is this? It’s… it’s magical…” he whispered, tracing the image on the cover.

“It’s called, The Tale of Dragon and Phoenix. A myth.” Chanyeol smiled, “Do you want me to read this to you?”

The prince nodded. “Oh wait,” he paused, having an idea, “Can we go to the ambrosia gardens and lay on the swing?”

Chanyeol wouldn’t have it the other way.

“As you wish,” the king smiled.

 

 

Hyun rested his back on the king’s almost bare chest. Chanyeol sat on the swing, slouched a bit with his legs spread apart. Hyun took the space and put the book on his lap. With his head resting on the king’s shoulder, Chanyeol put his chin on the prince’s shoulder and started reading the book.

 

It was a foretold story, said in the foreword. An oracle from hundreds of years ago wrote what she sees in her dreams. A series of it that continued as she lived. And when the time came for her to end the story, the next day, she didn’t wake up anymore. It was as if, her sole purpose in this land was to tell the story of the Dragon and Phoenix.

The Phoenix was the stigma of war. Once he’s born, the war is near. However, the Phoenix shouldn’t be feared, for he has a pure heart and longed for nothing but love. Alone on the land of the living, the Phoenix grew isolated from everyone, even his own family, and will have no one but a single person in his heart.

He would love that person and only that person. He’d see no one but his soul. As the only one who showed love and care for the Phoenix, the being swore on his heart that he’d protect him always, as long as he lives.

 

The Dragon is a half god who lived in disguise for a long, long time. Its powers were dormant, just as his soul and heart. No one knew who he was, until the time comes for him to die.

And that was the time when the Phoenix met the Dragon, for the Phoenix’ tears was the one who brought it back to life.

Many lives would ask what are they? And why they have lived? They were both outcasts in the la

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter