Chapter 5

Dreams Only Last For A Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Moonbyul looked at her watch and sighed annoyed. It was the third time it stopped working that week. She poked it a few times with her fingers and grumbled under her breath. Giving up, she took her phone and looked at the hour there. It was past 9 am.

 

One of the perks of being a songwriter was the flexible schedule. She could also work from home and that helped a lot. As long as she met the deadlines, she had some freedom. That’s why she left the house a bit earlier than usual to make a stop on her way to work.

 

Most people were at work and the rush hour was over, so from the outside the coffee shop seemed to be almost empty except for a few clients. She went in and looked for Solar. Wheein had told her she had the morning shift and that she was going to be on her own, so she decided to visit her for a little bit.

 

As expected, she was there. She was behind the counter and facing the other way. She was drying some cups. On her way to the counter, Moonbyul realized Solar was doing a little dance. Trying not to make her presence known, she got closer quietly.

 

She had to cover to stop herself from bursting into laughter. Right there, in the middle of her shift, Solar was shamelessly rapping to a Kanye West song. She was even doing all the proper hand gestures. Moonbyul felt tempted to record it with her phone, but decided against it. They were leaving for the reunion getaway the next day and she couldn’t risk pissing Solar off.

 

Moonbyul leaned against the counter with a smirk and then cleared loudly.

 

“Are you always this professional at work?”

 

Not expecting it, Solar jumped when she heard the sudden voice. The cup she was drying almost fell from her hands and she even let out a small yell. She turned around and looked at her with widen eyes and a hand on her chest.

 

“You almost gave me a heart attack!” She whined while Moonbyul laughed so much she was gasping for air. Solar pouted.

 

“I’m sorry, I couldn’t help it. You were so into it…” Moonbyul was on the verge of tears. She was sure she would never forget Solar’s scared face. “I never pegged you as a hip hop kind of girl.”

 

Solar crossed her arms trying to look annoyed, but the way the corner of pulled upwards betrayed her. She settled for rolling her eyes. “What are you doing here?”

 

“What, you aren’t happy to see me?” Moonbyul asked with an innocent grin that was everything but that.

 

“No when you scare me like that!” Solar looked around the shop. “Thank god this place is almost empty, I made a fool out of myself because of you.” She accused Moonbyul.

 

“Because of me? You were rapping out loud and dancing before I came in.” Moonbyul shot back amused.

 

Solar looked away embarrassed. “The regulars are used to that.” She mumbled, making Moonbyul laugh again. “Oh, c’mon, it’s not that funny!”

 

“It really was.” Moonbyul insisted. Sensing that she wasn’t going to let it go, Solar huffed and turned around, carrying on with her job. Still amused, Moonbyul picked up one of the menus, looking at the drinks. She didn’t have breakfast on purpose so she could have something here. “What do you recommend me? Wheein has been working here for a while but somehow I never came before…”

 

Seemingly forgetting she was supposed to be mad at her, Solar turned back to her and looked at the menu Moonbyul was holding.

 

“If you want something warm, the peppermint mocha with chocolate is pretty good.” She pointed to the picture. “You can add some whipped cream too. It tastes awesome.”

 

“Ok, I’ll have that then.”

 

“Do you want something to eat too?” Solar asked. “The carrot cake is amazing here.”

 

Moonbyul raised an eyebrow. “Do you want me to get fat?”

 

“We have healthier stuff if you prefer it.” She shrugged.

 

“Nah, give me the cake, I’ll need sugar today.” She watched Solar as she started preparing the coffee. The uniform they had to wear was pretty ugly, but somehow Solar made it work. She had to admit Solar had the body of an actress. The face too.

 

“Bad day ahead?” Solar asked. She was curious about Moonbyul’s work, but she didn’t know if she should ask too much. She didn’t want to cross any line, even if they seemed to be developing some kind of friendship fast.

 

“Yeah, but it’s not because of the work itself. There’s this new guy in the company and he is insufferable. I seriously hate every time I have to work with him.” She huffed, annoyed just thinking about it. “He believes he is better than anyone else just because he has produced music for some famous people.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter