Chapter 26

Dreams Only Last For A Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

D-Day.

 

It was finally time for the wedding.

 

Following the routine of the first night, Solar sneaked in Moonbyul’s room every night after her parents went to sleep only to leave before everybody else woke up. But that morning her excitement was too much to contain and she failed to leave the bed in silence. Moonbyul whined, but ended up following Solar to the kitchen where the girl prepared a cup of coffee for her as an apology.

 

Moonbyul rubbed her eyes with one hand as she grabbed the mug with the other and took a sip of the coffee. She hummed happily at the familiar flavor. Solar always made it exactly how she liked it. Meanwhile, Solar had picked up Jjing Jjing and danced with her around the kitchen.

 

“I think you might be even happier than Sunghoon.” Moonbyul chuckled when the dog waggled in Solar’s arms, wanting to be released.

 

“I love weddings!” Solar finally left Jjing Jjing on the floor and then took a sit in front of Moonbyul. She propped her head on her hand and smiled dreamily. “Everybody is happy… and dresses well… and all the food! I love wedding food.”

 

Moonbyul could only stare fondly at her. Solar really had the most beautiful heart and mind.

 

“Now that you mentioned the dressing well thing… do you think my suit might disappear at the last minute?” It was a joke, but deep inside she wouldn’t be surprised if it happened for real.

 

‘Accidentally.’

 

Before the trip, Moonbyul asked Solar if she should wear a dress for the wedding instead, but Solar refused. She insisted that Moonbyul should wear whatever felt more comfortable for her.

 

The day after the party at the cousins’ house when Jiyoung had asked for their wedding clothes to send them to get ironed, she had turned pale at the sight of the suit. Moonbyul had waited in a very tense silence for any comment, but the woman merely grabbed it and walked away.

 

Solar snorted at her words.

 

“Stop being so dramatic. I know my mother can be scary, but she was just… surprised. You already know she is pretty conservative.”

 

Raising an eyebrow, Moonbyul looked around to make sure Jiyoung wasn’t eavesdropping before leaning in on the table and whispering harshly. “Dramatic? Did you see her gripping the scissors the other day when I was wearing a ponytail? For a moment I thought she was going to grab my hair and cut it! I bet she would make me pretend to be a boy for the wedding if she could.”

 

Solar burst into laughter.

 

“Shhh! She is going to hear you!” Moonbyul tried to hush her to no avail. In fact, it only made Solar laugh even louder.

 

Moonbyul face-planted on the table.

 

“What’s going on? I could hear your shrieks from my room.”

 

A very sleepy looking Yonghee entered the kitchen. She looked at them confused. Her sister couldn’t stop laughing and her girlfriend looked done with life. Shrugging, she decided to serve herself a cup of coffee.

 

Finally calming down, Solar wiped a few tears from her eyes.

 

“She said mom is dying to cut her hair short so she can pass as a guy during the wedding.”

 

Yonghee chuckled and turned away from the coffee maker to take a good look at Moonbyul.

 

“You would actually look good with short hair. Maybe for summer?”

 

Moonbyul groaned and both sisters laughed again.

 

“I really hate you two. One Yong was enough.”

 

Walking toward her until she was by her side, Yonghee patted Moonbyul’s back with an amused smile.

 

“You better get used to it. You are part of the family now.”

 

 

Everybody’s attention was on the couple exchanging vows at the front of the outdoor chapel. Everybody except for Moonbyul, who instead subtly watched Solar with a fond smile.

 

It was said that at weddings that the bride was always the prettiest – and Haneul did look gorgeous indeed – but how could anybody compare to the girl sitting next to her?

 

With a wide smile and bright eyes thanks to the happy tears running down her cheeks, Solar looked breathtaking. And Moonbyul didn’t want to miss any second of it.

 

When Solar leaned her head against her shoulder after the vows, Moonbyul pressed a kiss to her temple. The soft smile she received in exchange and the close distance between her faces almost made her feel lightheaded.

 

She tried not to be too obvious with her stares after that, but she supposed no one would notice if she did anyway as they were too busy focusing on the soon to be married couple. And if they did notice… Well, Moonbyul really didn’t care. Most of Solar’s family seemed to be too uptight and polite to comment on it.

 

When they had arrived to the villa where the wedding and the celebration was taking place, Solar had introduced her to her family. They had gotten surprised faces and raised eyebrows, but they had quickly changed them for smiles and nice words. Moonbyul wasn’t too sure of them being genuine, but at least it was clear they would wait until Moonbyul and Solar weren’t there to judge or gossip about them.

 

Moonbyul could deal with that.

 

She had already accepted she would become the topic of many conversations, some of them not too positive probably, but she didn’t mind as long as she could enjoy her time with Solar.

 

They were on their way to the main hall and Moonbyul decided to tease Solar a bit about how much she had cried during the ceremony.

 

“I told you, I really love weddings!” Solar rolled her eyes but her smile betrayed her real feelings.

 

“My favorite part comes now.” Moonbyul located the waiters going back and forth from the kitchen with their trays full of glasses. She grabbed two glasses of wine from the nearest waiter that walked next to them and offered one to Solar who took it with a grateful smile.

 

“The endless alcohol?” Solar joked before taking a small sip and making a face. She would never get used to the taste.

 

“The food that comes with it!” Moonbyul grinned excitedly. “Food is always the best part about… everything!”

 

“You know, in most cases I would agree with you, but even in a wedding?” Solar opened her arms, signaling at everything around them. The people, the laughs, the atmosphere. “Out of all the amazing things to find here, you would really choose the food as the best?”

 

Taking a step back, Moonbyul looked at the girl up and down appreciating the way Solar’s blue dress fit her body perfectly. Her eyes lingered on the lacy fabric over her chest for a second before going up to the slope of her neck. The long gold earrings she wore and her hair being up in an elegant bun helped it look even more inviting than usual. And lastly, her face. God, what a face.

 

“Maybe the food isn’t the best part after all.”

 

For her own good, Moonbyul blamed the blush on Solar’s cheeks on the wine.

 

After that they soon joined Yonghee and some of her friends for the rest of the catering. They quickly managed to amuse a couple of the waiters and they were gracious enough to prioritize them over other guests every time they brought new food from the kitchen.

 

Moonbyul and Solar made sure to take full advantage of that, and soon enough they were so full they even doubted they eat the main course that took place inside the hall later.

 

“You keep complaining about being full and yet you won’t stop eating.” Amused, Solar watched as Moonbyul grabbed another appetizer and ate it in one bite.

 

Too busy chewing to reply, Moonbyul shrugged and smiled sheepishly. Solar snorted, knowing too well Moonbyul would regret it the next day when she ends up having a stomachache. It wouldn’t be the first time she saw it happen.

 

Finally swallowing the food, Moonbyul was about to defend herself when she spotted Jiyoung approaching them. She was being followed by two men.

 

Quickly sobering up, Moonbyul took a sip from her drink and put her best polite smile. Solar tensed up a bit next to her, seemingly recognizing the men’s faces, but she wasn’t a good actress for nothing and mustered up a relaxed stance a few seconds after.

 

“Yongsun, here you are! I’ve been looking for you.” With a short laugh, Jiyoung signaled Solar to get closer to them.

 

Moonbyul didn’t know what was worse, Jiyoung’s clearly fake laugh or how she obvious had been at ignoring Moonbyul’s presence. Not that she expected any different at that point.

 

Noticing her inner turmoil, Solar placed her hand on Moonbyul’s arm for a moment before fully facing her mother and giving her the attention she was demanding.

 

“Do you remember Dongwon? He is one of your father’s associates and has been at home a few times.”

 

Solar did remember him, so she nodded politely.

 

Moonbyul watched, weirdly feeling like she was part of one of those tv shows about elite families. Her role was clearly the outcast character and she had to try her best not to let the feeling of inadequacy get to her. Especially when Jiyoung introduced the second man.

 

He seemed to be in his early 30’s. Moonbyul had to admit he was stupidly attractive standing there with his impeccable suit, trendy hairstyle and dashing smile.

 

However, what made her scowl was hearing his name.

 

“This is his son, Jaebum.” Jiyoung giggled again, that time glancing at her daughter’s girlfriend. “Such a shame, you would have looked wonderful together for the wedding. But oh well, surely another time, right?”

 

Moonbyul looked away. Clenching her jaw, she felt the sting of Jiyoung’s words. What truly hurt was the fact that it could actually happen. After all Solar was single.

 

She did her best to disengage herself from the conversation going on a couple meters from her, and she was only brought back from her thoughts when a hand softly cupped her face.

 

Surprised by the sudden touch, Moonbyul looked around and realized happily that Jiyoung, Dongwon and Jaebum had gone away already. She started back at Solar then.

 

Still cupping her face, Solar caressed her cheek with her thumb. She was smiling, but her eyes revealed the worry she felt about Moonbyul being hurt.

 

Knowing her, Moonbyul expected some reassuring words from her, but instead Solar surprised her by leaning down – Moonbyul had decided not to wear heels this time- and kissing her.

 

The kiss was chaste but long and painfully sweet, and Moonbyul felt her heart soar.

 

“Don’t let my mother ruin our night.” Solar whispered, her lips almost grazing Moonbyul’s.

 

Placing her hands on Solar’s waist, Moonbyul nodded, a sincere smile finding its way to her lips.

 

“Let’s go inside.”

 

 

Not long after that, they all were ushered inside to the main hall for the actual dinner. Moonbyul feared for a second they would have to share a table with unwanted company but to her relief she quickly found out they would be sitting with Yonghee and Sunghoon’s friends. It made sense, but at that point she expected anything to go wrong.

 

Probably becoming the loudest table out of all of them, Sunghoon’s friends proved to be the funniest guests. They didn’t stop making jokes and they managed to keep the mood high during the entire dinner. They also made sure to make Solar and Moonbyul feel included and comfortable, and soon enough they felt like they had always been part of the group of friends.

 

To Solar’s amusement, Yonghwa had been especially attentive to her, as if he needed to get on her good side to date Yonghee. It was clear Yonghee was old enough to make her own decisions, but Solar wasn’t going to turn down the nice gestures either.

 

After they had eaten their desserts –Moonbyul had given up after a spoon of the chocolate fondant, which Solar had happily finished for her-, they watched as the newlyweds had their first dance.

 

It didn’t take long for many of the guests to join them and dance in pairs around them after the first song ended, and the glint in Solar’s eyes as she watched them didn’t go unnoticed by Moonbyul. Clearing to get her attention, Moonbyul offered her hand to Solar as soon as she turned to look at her.

 

“Do you want to dance?”

 

With a grin and without wasting a second, Solar took her hand and got up from her seat, pulling Moonbyul to the dance floor almost making her trip.

Their way to the dance floor caught the attention of some people and Moonbyul quickly became aware of the eyes on them, but Solar’s enthusiasm was too contagious to mind. If S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter