Chapter 23

Dreams Only Last For A Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After their beach date they were back at Solar’s house. It had been very fun but also tiring, and once their stomachs started growling they decided it was time to head back. They called Yonghee and bought a couple pizzas for lunch on their way.

 

They spent the rest of the afternoon together at the house, watching a movie and playing several board games. Moonbyul found out Yonghee was as competitive as her younger sister and soon the siblings teamed up in order to wreck Moonbyul, who lost almost every game. She would have minded if it wasn’t for how happy Solar looked to be having such a nice time with her sister.

 

Yonghee proved to be a great old sister, and all awkwardness since she was told about Moonbyul being Solar’s girlfriend had disappeared. She treated Moonbyul with affection and tried to get to know her better as fast as possible.

 

It was already night and both Solar and Moonbyul laid on their bed with Jjing Jjing between them after taking a shower to get rid of all the sand from the beach. They didn’t say it out loud, but it was a matter of minutes until Solar’s parents came home and they were enjoying that short time of peace that was left.

 

“Can I bring Jjing Jjing home with me?”

 

Moonbyul asked as she petted the sleeping dog next to her softly. She enjoyed the feeling of the short but fluffy fur and the light snores of the dog were weirdly relaxing. In any other circumstances she would probably fall asleep next to her.

 

“Only if I can visit her every day.” Solar continued the joke, though part of her thought about the possibility for a second before mentally rejecting the idea.

 

“No, she would be mine only. Hwasa’s too I guess.”

 

Sending Moonbyul a murderous look, Solar draped herself over the sleeping dog, shielding her from the other girl.

 

“Over my dead body then.”

 

With a tired sigh, Moonbyul flicked her tongue.

 

“Do you know how hard it is to clean blood properly? There’s no way I’m killing you and making a mess. You can keep Jjing Jjing. I’ll just get a hamster once I’m back home.” Dismissing Solar, she shifted on the bed to face the ceiling and closed her eyes.

 

“Whoa, thinking about having kids already?” Making sure not to squish Jjing Jjing, Solar got comfortable in her new position. When the dog whined for being roused from sleep from all the movements, she kissed the top of her snout and gently scratched her head.

 

Confused, Moonbyul opened her eyes and looked at Solar.

 

“Kids?”

 

Acting as nonchalant as possible to avoid laughing, Solar nodded.

 

“Yes. Aren’t you a big hamster after all?” She giggled a bit. “Are you going to call it Junior?”

 

Not impressed at all with the joke, Moonbyul rolled her eyes. Not that she minded being called a hamster, she was aware of the similarity and denying it would be silly, she just enjoyed antagonizing Solar too much. It was part of their dynamic at that point.

 

“I changed my mind. I’ll get a bunny and I’ll call it Yongbun.” Proud of her witty comeback, Moonbyul smirked at the girl next to her.

 

On the other hand, Yongsun didn’t find it that funny.

 

“Damn, that was lame. You are losing your touch… Sad.”

 

“Your face is lame!”

 

“Oh, that really hurt me.” Solar deadpanned. She wiped a fake tear. “How dare you say something so cruel to me?”

 

Squinting her eyes, Moonbyul tried to come up with a quick response, but before she could, a couple knocks on the door caught their attention.

 

Yonghee opened the door slowly, as if she was giving them enough time to get themselves decent. Just in case.

 

At the sight of them next to each other and Solar cuddling the dog, she smiled. But it was brief. She had news that couldn’t wait.

 

“I just heard cars outside the house. It seems like they brought company over.” Yonghee explained. “I’m going to go down to greet them and distract them for a bit. That should give you a few minutes to get ready, but don’t wait too much.”

 

Solar bit her bottom lip with a worried expression and nodded.

 

“Okay, thanks Yonghee.”

 

Yonghee waved her hand, implying it wasn’t a big deal.

 

“I’m going to go now. But remember, whatever you decide to say or do, I’m on your side.”

 

Yonghee gave them a tender smile and left before they had time to say anything.

 

Despite the tense situation, Moonbyul couldn’t help but smile as well. Yonghee really was proving to be amazing.

 

Getting off the bed, they made sure to look neat and presentable. Solar seemed to be deep in thought and Moonbyul took her hand to snap her out of it.

 

“Remember, there’s still time to introduce me as your friend. Yonghee won’t say anything. And if your mother still tries to set you up with that guy, I’ll make sure to be a pain in the and interrupt you at every chance.”

 

Solar laughed softly but shook her head. She squeezed Moonbyul’s hand and looked at her with determination.

 

“Thanks but no. This is something I need to do. It might sound childish but I need to show her that she can’t control every aspect of my life, that there are things that are out of her reach. I don’t want to take the easy way out this time.”

 

Moonbyul had the feeling that Solar was keeping to herself more reasons, but it wasn’t the time to probe. Besides, she knew Solar would tell her when the right time came, and she was happy to wait.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter