Chapter 18

Dreams Only Last For A Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m just saying, you could totally come live with us.” Moonbyul said nonchalantly while she dropped a couple notes on the tip jar.

 

With a snort, Solar grabbed a rag and started cleaning the counter. “For the last time, I’m not going to move in with you and Hwasa.”

 

“Why not?” Moonbyul tried to pout as cutely as possible. Maybe she could persuade her that way.

 

“Because I don’t want to live for free. Also, where would I sleep? On the couch? No thank you.” Solar explained shaking her head with an amused smile. Byul and her crazy ideas.

 

“You could share my room with me. And you could pay a small fee if you want, just not as much as you pay for your apartment.” She waited for Solar to turn around for a second to drop some coins this time.

 

“Byul, give up and save your time.” She leaned against the counter and smacked Moonbyul’s hand off it. “And stop giving me tips, you aren’t even consuming anything right now. What service are you paying for?”

 

“You.” Moonbyul replied quickly with her greasiest smile.

 

Solar grimaced.

 

“That was really creepy, don’t say that again. Ever.”

 

“I’ll stop once you accept my offer.” She would never surrender so easily.

 

“I guess I’ll go buy some ear plugs after my shift then.”

 

Moonbyul gasped, hand over her heart and a fake offended expression on her face.

 

“Would you silence me like that for real? And miss out on every cute thing I say to you?”

 

Solar stopped cleaning and stared at her with an eyebrow raised.

 

“You just implied you would pay me for my services.”

 

Moonbyul winced. “I guess you have a point there.” Solar made an affirmative noise. “But you would miss me too much anyway.” She retaliated with a smug smile.

 

“Don’t push your luck, Byulyi.”

 

“Ooh, full name. Am I in trouble, officer?” Moonbyul wiggled her eyebrows playfully.

 

“Officer? What’s wrong with you today?” Solar groaned, debating whether she would get fired if she threw the dirty rag at Moonbyul’s face. She was willing to risk her job if the girl kept making those jokes.

 

“Guess I missed you too much.” Moonbyul had her trademark greasy smile. She knew she was playing with fire, but pushing Solar’s buttons was one of her favorite pastimes. She couldn’t help it.

 

“First of all, you saw me last night.” Solar pointed her finger at Moonbyul. “Second, you’ve been here for hours. Don’t you have work to do? It’s Thursday.”

 

“Nope, no work.” Moonbyul grinned happily, her nose muscles at full work. “We officially finished the songs yesterday, so they’ve given us the rest of the week to relax.”

 

“And instead of staying home you decided to come and pester me at work.”

 

“You got it.”

 

Solar let out an exasperated sigh, there was no point in fighting Moonbyul. Besides, she would be lying if she said her company wasn’t appreciated. The rush hours were already over and the time seemed to be dragging on.

 

“By the way, are you free tomorrow night? Krystal told me about this great club. You know I’m not one to party too much, but it seems fun.” Since they had finally made up two weeks ago, Moonbyul made sure not to keep everything related to Krystal to herself. It wasn’t like she told their friends every time Krystal and her spoke, that would be stupid, but she would mention if she was going to hang out with her and similar.

 

“Tomorrow?” Solar turned around, rearranging the coffee cups. “Sorry, I can’t.”

 

Moonbyul stuck out her bottom lip at the reply, she really wanted Solar to go with them. “C’mooon, it will be nice. And we’ve never gone out to a place like that together.” She insisted in a sad voice. Maybe that way Solar would feel sorry for her and agree.

 

“Maybe some other time, okay?” Solar’s voice was gentle, but she left no room for arguments. Moonbyul wouldn’t manage to convince her.

 

Pouting like a kid, Moonbyul nodded. She would have to accept Solar’s choice, even if she wanted to do the opposite. “I’ll take your word for it.”

 

“Deal.” Solar faced her again, a soft smile on her face. “Now, do you want a cupcake? We’ve got red velvet ones.”

 

 

Moonbyul scratched her nose, still with her eyes closed. The pounding in her head reminded her about the party last night. It had been a great one and she had definitely drunk more than usual, but thankfully not to the point to end up throwing up or having memory gaps. She could remember every moment of the night, so that’s why she wasn’t surprised at all when she finally opened her eyes, turned her head to the side and saw Krystal sleeping peacefully next to her.

 

Groaning as quietly as possible to avoid disturbing the other girl, Moonbyul sat up on her bed and looked at herself. She was wearing the clothes from last night, having being too drunk and tired to change into anything else before flopping down on the bed to sleep. She scrunched her nose, she probably didn’t smell too well.

 

She remembered the party and smiled. It had been really fun. At first it had been a tad awkward because it was only the two of them and they didn’t know anybody else, but soon enough they had joined a group of girls after meeting one of them at the counter when they were ordering a drink. Her name was Hani. She was pretty, funny and very weird. She reminded her of Solar. She should introduce them someday, they would probably get along.

 

They had spent the rest of the night with them, completely losing track of the time. She had definitely spent too much money as well, but it had been worth it. That been said, her body would probably resent it. All her bones were aching.

 

She decided that a hot shower would be the best next course of action if she wanted to feel like a human again. Getting up from the bed, she made as little noise as possible opening her wardrobe and grabbing a change of clothes.

 

Fifteen minutes later she was back in her room, finding a half-awake Krystal groaning against the pillow.

 

“Why is everything moving around?” Krystal complained hoarsely, her voice muffled by the pillow. She tried to turn around but groaned and went back to hiding her face.

 

“I think it’s just your head spinning.” Chuckling, Moonbyul sat down on the edge on the bed and patted Krystal’s arm sympathetically. “Why don’t you take a shower while I prepare some food? It’s way past breakfast time, but can just go straight to lunch.”

 

Krystal jerked her head back at her words. “Wait, lunch? What time is it?” With a wince, she forced herself to move and look for her phone to check the hour. As soon as she saw it, she got up from the bed with urgency. “, , !”

 

Shocked by the reaction, Moonbyul stayed in place and looked at Krystal with her brow furrowed in confusion.

 

“What..?”

 

“I told my sister I’d have lunch with her.” She explained while she put on her shoes in a hurry. “I’m always late, so the last time she made me swear I wouldn’t be next time.” She is really busy with her business and she cancelled this big meeting just to see me.” She stopped to take a deep breath. “If I’m not on time, I’m dead.” Krystal finished dramatically.

 

Moonbyul bit her lip amused. Krystal had told her about her older sister Jessica before. They loved each other to death, but they didn’t meet a lot because of Jessica’s job. She was the owner of a high-profile fashion brand that was branching internationally, so she had to supervise it personally.

 

“Are you sure you don’t want to take a shower?” Or brush your teeth?” Moonbyul at Krystal’s head. “At least brush your hair, it looks like a bird nest.”

 

“Is it that bad?” Krystal asked rummaging for her purse. Once she found it she opened Moonbyul’s wardrobe to look at the small mirror the inside of the door had. “Holy .” She looked a Moonbyul pleadingly. “Can I borrow one of your hairbrushes? I’ll give it back another day.”

 

Moonbyul raised her eyebrows. “Are you going to brush your hair on the way?”

 

Krystal looked at her phone again. “If I don’t leave now I’ll be late. I’ll do it in the taxi.”

 

Moonbyul chuckled and shrugged. “Then be my guest.”

 

“You are the best, thank you!” Krystal approached Moonbyul quickly and pecked her cheek, then she rushed to the bathroom to take the hairbrush. “I’ll text you later. Bye!” She yelled. A few seconds later Moonbyul heard her door being closed.

 

Moonbyul shook her head with a grin. What a dork.

 

She left her bedroom with the intention of making some food, but she was stopped in the living room before she could get to the kitchen.

 

“What did you do to scare the poor girl like that?” Are you that bad in bed?” Said a smirking Hwasa from the armchair. She had her laptop on her lap, most likely reading e-mails from her management. That would explain why she felt like teasing Moonbyul, she was probably bored.

 

Moonbyul rolled her eyes.

 

“She was late to lunch with her sister.” She explained. “And for your information, I’m pretty great in bed, thank you.” She crossed her arms with a smug smile on her face.

 

“Wait, so you two had for real?” Hwasa exclaimed with an alarmed expression. She had said it as a joke. “Are you friends with benefits?” She asked again, insistently.

 

Moonbyul furrowed her brow. “What? Of course not! Why would you think that?”

 

“Uh, maybe because you two were a drunk mess when you got home last night and went straight to your bedroom together?” Hwasa replied sarcastically.

 

Well, she had to admit it did sound bad when you put it like that.

 

“Okay, you have a point. But we’re just friends. No benefits. Except for the benefit of… friendship. I guess…” Wow, that was really lame. She shook her head to snap out of it. “We didn’t do anything, we just went to sleep. With all our clothes on I must add.” Moonbyul cleared it up before there was any more confusion about what had or hadn’t happened. “And now I’m going to get some food before I starve.”

 

“Wait, I wasn’t done!” Hwasa protested behind her.

 

“Come to the kitchen then!” Moonbyul yelled back. She felt like she ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter