Friend & Past

The Hands Of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 5. Friend & Fast

“Kwon Nari, Jung Yohan, and Lee Minjun.” Taeyeon starts explaining to Chief Lee Sooman who sits straight on his chair. Files are all over the chief desk. “The three of them are ghosts until twenty years ago. No records obtained under their name before year 1996. No birth certificate. No data at all.”

“Jihyo's department has released the bullets analysis for Jung Yohan.” Taeyeon points at one of the file. “Comparison of bullets characteristics show that the bullets came from the same gun. It suggests that we do have serial killer on the run.”

“A serial killer and a gunshot in the blue house, right when I'm just a few months away from retirement. What are the odds, huh?”

The expression on the chief's face is so gravely Taeyeon waits a few seconds before continuing “Since the gun is a military-issued one, we're still trying see if we can match the bullet analysis to specific gun and find out whom it's assigned to.”

Taeyeon watches as her boss closes his eyes for a brief moment, carefully adding her explanation. “As I had reported before. Lee Minjun, one of the victims, was adopted by a navy admiral. Admiral Lee Minseok retired at the same year these victims showed up in database. I think there's a strong connection between him and this case.”

“Admiral Lee Minseok, I think I never heard of him before.”

“He was a highly decorated Marine with record not any career soldier can match but retired five years early in 1996 on his own request. At least that what's the military database told us.”

“A serial killer that might have a connection with the military. It can't get any worse, can it?” The chief sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose. “Go on.”

“The adoption process of Lee Minjun took place in Gyeryong. He was adopted from a foster home located near the Naval base. I'm planning to go there tomorrow, see if I can get more lead on the case. Lawyer that handle the adoption or better yet, papers regarding Lee Minjun's origin will probably help us understand the origin of the other two victims. People can just show up in this country without explanation.”

Taeyeon stands still, waiting for the chief to speak more. But the man looks up at her instead, tilting his head to one side. “How long has you been up?”

“Uhmm.”

“Go home, Taeyeon.”

“No, chief. Jihyo and her team are still cross-”

“I said go home.”

“There are few-”

“It's an order.”

Taeyeon sighs, aware that she better not argue any further.

“You've worked hard. Rest and go to Gyeryong with a fresh mind tomorrow.”

“I'm sorry I can't do any better, chief. Other detective-”

“Will handle this case just the way you've handled it so far. You've done your best up to this moment, Kim Taeyeon. Now go home, I'm not accepting any more word from you tonight.”

Taeyeon nods, turning on her heels.

“That's a very generous portion of steak for one.” Taeyeon heaves as she sits on the dining chair, obviously drooling over what's in Jiwon's plate. “Celebrating something?”

“Definitely.” Jiwon grins, brings her chair and the plate closer to Taeyeon's side. “I've got another tick on an old list.”

Taeyeon leans back, tilting her chair so she can grab a fork from the kitchen drawer. “Jiwon and her life full of achievement, how fun.”

“You're working on a very difficult case, aren't you?” Slicing the wagyu so her friend can also eat, Jiwon stares at Taeyeon. “Care to share?”

“I can't.” Taeyeon sighs, dipping the meat into the sauce before eating it. “My biggest case so far. So complicated, so little information I can obtain.”

“Too bad.” Jiwon also sighs. “Thing is, while I'm pretty sure you have the ability to carry on, you can always call it quit.”

“You meant back away like a coward?” Taeyeon forks another slice into . She's hungry, tired, and upset.

“Not like a coward. More like elegantly drop the case because it might do you harm instead of good.”

“Are you kidding?”

“You have limit too, Kim Taeyeon.” Jiwon stands up to pour a glass of water for Taeyeon. “I've been watching you these days. You seem stressed. More than you ever had. Your forehead is as wrinkly as our landlady now.”

Taeyeon glances at her reflection on the fridge, rubbing her forehead.

“Just drop the case.”

“Can you imagine what will happen to my career if I drop the case? Seeing how slowly I'm progressing right now I should be grateful every other detective is so busy the chief doesn't kick me out than replace me with someone more capable.”

“Your Chief won't kick you out. Not a workaholic monster like you.”

“Yeah? He sent me home early tonight. Tell me that it's not a sign of his doubt on me.”

“Early? It's almost eleven p.m, Taeyeon! It's beyond late for you who left for work before the sun even had the chance to rise. And it's Sunday, goddamnit.”

“Cop knows no Sunday.” Taeyeon shrugs, forking the salad now only a few slice of meat left on the plate.

“Tsk. I hate your job.” Jiwon drops her fork and pushes the plate even closer to Taeyeon. “Let's talk about something fun. How are you and Jiyong doing?”

“Me and who?” Sipping water from her glass, Taeyeon looks away.

“Girl, drop that obvious pretense.” Jiwon pouts

“What?”

“Something is happening between you two.”

“Yes. It's called friendship.”

“Of course, friendship.” Jiwon draws every syllable, poking at Taeyeon's arm. “I heard from Lohee, our neighbor at 801 that heard it from Eddie the security, how certain two people from the 9th floor got all lovey dovey on the elevator a few days ago. Eddie said there's a CCTV footage of you guys hugging. You guys are dating behind me, huh?”

“That CCTV actually works? I thought it's just a fake camera.” Taeyeon groans, shaking her head. “We're not dating. It's an accident. I think Jiyong has Claustrophobia.”

“Fine. Accident and Claustrophobia.” Eyes gleaming with tease, Jiwon bring her glass to her lips. “But what about the kiss you guys shared by your SLK last night.”

“Whoa! Wait.” Dropping her fork, Taeyeon glares at her roommate. “Stop making story out of your imagination. We didn't kiss.”

“Yeah? It might be dark at the parking lot but I've got the eyes of the hawk, baby. You guys kissed.”

“We. Did. Not.” As hard as she might have tried, Taeyeon can't get rid of the image herself. Jiyong's face so close to hers. The smell of his aftershave, cologne, perfume, or whatever it was so good Taeyeon almost unable to stop herself from leaning closer. Last night was the closest she ever be to Jiyong and she likes it. Really like it.

“And the sun rises in the west yada yada yada.” The grin on Jiwon's face is so wide now. “Tell me, who start the kiss? It was him, wasn't it?”

“I got home from work all tired and sleepy, reaching the parking lot barely awake. He saw me sleep in my car, woke me up, then we talk. That was all.” Looking away, Taeyeon leaves the part where she exited her car sleepily and nearly tripped over. She also skips the part where Jiyong got all concerned and held her up. And of course she does not mention that she has agreed to go on a date with Jiyong.

Well, it's not exactly a date. Just a promise that someday, whenever both their busy schedules allow, they will meet up for a meal outside the apartment. Jiyong stated that he might take her out at the oddest hour of the night seeing how busy Taeyeon seems to be. Taeyeon recalls how she was grinning like a love-struck teenager while saying that she doesn't mind going out at dawn with him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter