Darkness & Ramen

The Hands Of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 3. Darkness & Ramen.

Taeyeon uses the picture recognition feature on google to no avail. No exact result. She sighs, leaning back on her seat. She knows NPA has IT team made of people smarter than her in this field, but still she wants to give it a try herself.

Bringing her phone closer to her eyes, she inspects the picture of the water bottle again. Green, unique square shape with two curves near the opening, and made of glass not plastic like common bottle of mineral water.

“Eyyyy, we're off work already. ” Bambam waves his hand between the phone screen and Taeyeon's eyes. “We've spent all day on victims background check. Use this precious free time to check on your favorite hallyu stars or something else fun, dear noona. Don't you know that GOT7 came out with a new album yesterday?”

“I don't follow boy group.” She closes her eyes, deep in thoughts. “You know what, Bambam? The victim in Daejeon is the only anomaly here.”

“What do you mean, noona? In terms of age and education?”

“I'm thinking more on family background. Kwon Nari and Jung Yohan both have no relatives but Lee Minjun came from a very wealthy family.”

“Jung Yohan has a girlfriend though.”

“Which had known him only from three years ago. Have you asked Chanyeol to pull records on Kwon Nari & Jung Yohan?”

“Yes. He's torn between so many investigations at the moment but he promised me a result by tomorrow.”

“Good. I think I need to visit Daejeon once more. Interviewing the Lee family myself.”

“Let's go together, noona. I don't have the heart to let you drive alone.”

“Don't act like I'm a teenager who just got a driving license. I'm your senior and I definitely drive better than most women in this country.”

“You're not planning on going to Daejeon tonight, are you noona? It's already 8 p.m!”

“Maybe not. I'll just wait for my own car from the workshop tomorrow. It's much more convenient to travel with it.”

“Now I know why you don't want to go with me. It's because of my cheap car.” Bambam knocks his forehead against the steering wheel.

Taeyeon chuckles. “It's not it. I'll probably need to go places in Daejeon, better doing it with the steering wheel I know by heart.”

“You just want to show off.” Bambam parks on the roadside in front of Taeyeon's apartment, pouting. “When will my saving be enough to buy an SLK too.”

“You know I didn't buy it on my own, either. Bambam.” Taeyeon pouts at her fellow detective. “And I'm more than willing to go around in your car.”

“Don't lie to me, noona. The last time I asked you for some good bingsoo time, you declined.”

“You asked me on office time, Bambam.” The fact that Bambam has a heart for her doesn't go unnoticed by Taeyeon. Although Taeyeon thinks of Bambam as younger brother, she doesn't mind when sometimes Bambam tries to woe her because she knows he won't cross any boundary. They are both professionals at work. “It had nothing to do with the price of your car.”

Bambam rounds the car to open the door for Taeyeon, grinning. “Yeah. Even if someday I have enough money to buy an expensive car, I doubt you'll still be single by then.”

“If I have to work this hard every day, ” Taeyeon exits the car while sighing. “I'll have to stay single up to my retirement day.”

“Then I'll keep on praying for more hard case to come your way.”

“Yah!” Taeyeon elbows her partner. “Do you wish for me to die single?”

“Just up to the day when you finally see me in a red Ferrari.” Bambam leans on the hood of his old car, still grinning.

“You'll get the car of your dream, Bambam.” Taeyeon laughs, messing Bambam's hair. “Maybe not a Ferrari, but it will come with a girl that appreciate you for who you are.”

“Oh dear lord, amen!” Bambam laughs, closing the passenger door. “Goodnight, noona.”

“Goodnight, Bambam. Thank you for the ride.”

“If you really go to Daejeon tomorrow, let me know.”

“I will.”

Taeyeon waits until Bambam's car disappears atà the curve of the road before walking for the elevator. It's a luxury for her to reach home so early. Her brain automatically thinks of all the sleep she can get. Maybe she'll have a bubble bath first, maybe she'll enjoy a cup of hot choco too, but a long and comfortable sleep is a must tonight.

“Will you get in or not?”

Taeyeon looks up from her reverie to a familiar brightness of orange hair. Kwon Jiyong from apartment 903 is holding the elevator door open for her.

“Oh right. Sorry.” She steps into the metal box, smiling at her neighbor. Jiyong doesn't smile back though. There's a hint of annoyance on his face and Taeyeon can't help but wondering why.

“9th floor right?” Taeyeon presses the button.

“Yeah. We live on the same floor, remember?”

“Right. Right. Sorry.” Taeyeon gives another try at smiling but Jiyong still frowns. It's cute actually, the way his lips curve downward. Make him looks cute. If Taeyeon doesn't start to feel that the sour face is actually intended for her.

“Pretty cute boyfriend you've got there.” Jiyong has his arms crossed on his chest now, eyes staring at Taeyeon from where he's leaning back against the wall.

“Huh?” Taeyeon turns on her spot, eyes meeting his deep gaze for a moment before she looks away.

“The thin blonde with red KIA.”

“Oh. Bambam. He's not my boyfriend.”

“Yeah? You guys seem close.”

“He's my coworker and my best friend at the office.” Taeyeon tries to grin once more at her companion.

Jiyong's frown doesn't die down though. His stare makes Taeyeon feels inclined to explain more. “My car broke yesterday. Bambam offered me a ride from work.”

“Oh.” His feature seems to finally relaxed this time. “Isn't your car the silver SLK that often parked near the emergency exit on the basement?”

“Yep.”

“Nice car.”

“Thank you. It's a gift.” There, the urge to explain that comes out of nowhere hits Taeyeon again. As if something in her want the conversation in the enclosed space to keep going. “A cop like me can't afford it on my own.”

“Oh?” The frown comeback again. “Must be from someone very special.”

“It's from-”

Her explanation is cut short as the elevator jerks to a stop. The small box then suddenly loses it source of light.

“Not again.” Taeyeon mumbles under her breath. In the course of three years living in the apartment, this is the third time she's stuck in the elevator. She gazes up, thinking of how many minutes of her precious rest will be wasted for waiting.

“No... No.... No...” She hears Jiyong mumbles before she feels him moves around the dark room.

“Help!” The man bangs at the metal wall.

“Hey. It's okay.” Taeyeon jolts a little as she feels Jiyong's hand grips her arm. “It's happened before. Just wait until our landlady turns on the generator.”

“I can't.” Jiyong breathes heavily. His nails dig into Taeyeon arm and she can feel them trough the fabric of her shirt. “Too dark. I need to get out.”

“Here.” Turning on the flashlight feature on her phone, Taeyeon pries Jiyong's hand from her arm and hold it in her hand instead. “We've got light, don't worry.”

He's trembling though, shaking like a leave. Although her brain tells Taeyeon not to, she wraps a hand around Jiyong's shoulder and brings him to sit on the floor with her. “It

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter