Take It/Leave It

Mind Over Matter (Kyungsoo's POV)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Well, Mr. and Mrs. Do, of course it would depend on you but for the situation you have told me, I am just not sure if adopting this dog would be the best. Unless you are willing to really take the big responsibility.”

The pet store staff explains to us after touring us around the store where we were introduced to a lot of breeds of dogs.

Just like we have agreed upon, we waited for a while to get this chance.

Baby Yojoon is now seven and a half months and I think we’re ready for this additional family member. I have also prepared myself long enough. But the twist, we didn’t tell a thing to Yohan, we want to surprise him. “Financially, we can support this dog you don’t have to worry. The time. . . actually, my business is just walking distance from our home so I don’t think it’ll be that hard.” Iseul explains while looking at the Labrador retriever we were trying to check out.

I know, it’s a big dog.

But we have researched and a lot of people and articles specified that such breed is a very good choice for families with kids.

They are very gentle and kid-friendly regardless of their sizes.

But to be honest I am petrified just by looking at it.

I mean, it’s bigger than my second son!

Yojoon can use this dog as a horse, I am not even trying to be humorous right now.

“Also, we recently built a huge kennel at our backyard—well, of course we weren’t the ones who built it but you know, like we hired— “He got it, honey. Don’t worry. . .” Iseul whispers back and I stop while nodding. “May I just ask something, if it’s not very rude though?” The staff then asks and we, couple, nodded. “Sir, why are you wearing a mask and rubber gloves?” He asks and pointed to my hands and face. “W-well. . .” I clear my throat. If I say my situation, he might not end up letting us adopt a pet here. Pets are taken seriously here so it’s really a big deal for them or I assume any other stores or shelters like this one.

“I mean, I just asked because you might be allergic, Sir? So I recommend not get—“No, it’s alright. I’m not allergic. I just forgot to remove it. I c-came from work. I work in a lab so. . .” I quickly remove my gloves then pull my mask down. My system stiffens right away as I tug on Iseul’s waist, I had the urge to hide behind her right now or better yet, run away.

THE SMELL.

THE FEELING that this atmosphere gives my bare hands right now.

This is killing me but no.

I can do this. . .

I feel my wife holding my hand tightly which I appreciate the most right now. I feel much safer feeling her touch although I am still horrified deep inside. Fortunately for me, Iseul shifts her body from mine and gets near the dog cage instead. “He’s actually one of the nicest and gentlest dogs here and we recommend him for families with toddlers like yours.” The staff explains and I give him a nod. In sync, I meet eyes with my wife and we stayed in such eye-contact for a little while. I think this is it. This is really it is. Turning to the staff again, I hold my wife’s hand much tighter and gulp. “We’re taking him. But actually not now nor tomorrow. My wife and I are going to a short trip actually, just the two of us and we’ll leave our kids to a friend. For only two days and we plan to arrive back home with the dog to surprise our sons. And that will be on Thursday.” I explain the mechanics of this whole thing first.

“Oh, we understand. Anyway, you would still need to fix a lot of papers. His papers, and also agreements with the veterinarian whether you’ll stick with the store’s vet or you’d change for distance purpose.” The staff explains and leads us to an office. My wife and I follow behind. “It’s going to be fine.” I hear Iseul muffle while hugging my arm, she turns to me while looking with her sweet smile. “It’s going to be fine. . .” I repeat what she said—more like to convince myself—and shared a light kiss on the lips with her.

It’s going to be fine.

It’s going to be fine.

Good Lord, what if—no it’s going to be fine.

 

_ _ _

 

“Annyeong~”

I watch my wife bid goodbye to Hana at the door while I stand by my car. We’re on for a short couple trip today somewhere in a resort. I just thought it’s a good thing for relaxation especially before digging my own grave, having a dog in my life two days from now. Iseul skips out of the gates while holding our bag. “Ready?” I ask and she nods excitedly. It’s been so long since we’ve gone to a trip. I don’t even think we’ve ever done it since we had a kid. “Yeah, I think Hana will be fine. Right?” She asks and opens the car door. I got in first and she follows.

“I don’t know. You think so?” I ask as I start the engine. “Yah. . . you sound so scary. But no—Hana will do it. She won’t let anything happens to the two boys. She might lack in some things but I’m sure as hell she will be fine watching out for them.” She tells. The car starts moving and I just keep quiet. “Yah~ aren’t we going to relax? Just chill~” She moves close to me and hugs my arm since I had my right hand down the gear shift. “You know, I really missed this kind of us. I mean, not that I have a problem having our boys but you know. . . this makes me remember those times when we were just dating.” She hushes which finally made me smile.

“I did too.” I answer back and she kisses me on the cheek, even letting her lips linger on my skin for a little while. “But actually, I already miss the two penguins. But I need this, I know we need this.” She muffles and sighs heavily. “You need this more than I do. Having the bake shop, taking care of our sons then also taking so much care of me as well, I know you have it tough everyday. I don’t even know where you get such strength with that small body of yours.” I answer back earning a light hit from her but I just responded with a chuckle.

“Don’t say that, we both work hard in this family. At the same time, you mostly struggle financially and you work hard for it too. I have the best hubby in the world~” She grins like a child. “I know.” I agree right away. “Eyy~ You could have at least said you have the best wifey in the world too.” She grunts. “I could but it won’t be sincere.” I answer and yet again, another hit on my arm. “Yah! You’re so mean.” She fake-cries but leans her head on my arm again.

Mignon.

Her being mignon is for eternity.

Out of all the things we’ve gone through, I still see her exactly the same as before.

The mignon jellyfish I fell in love with whom for each day that passes by, changes into the woman that she re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter