Family Thoughts

Mind Over Matter (Kyungsoo's POV)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Here’s our home sweet home, baby Yojoonie~”

I guide my wife on her waist as we walk into the house. Han Iseul survived a nerve-wrecking C-section and we had to stay in the hospital for four days. Behind us are Soomi and Hana who helped us bring along our stuff and also hold Yohan. These two really helped a lot for those four days I was busy focusing my attention to my wife and our newborn.

We arrive at the living room and I help Iseul to carefully sit down, her full attention was at Yojoon in her arms right now. So I turn to Hana and Soomi and take the bags from them. “Thank you for helping, I suggest you two to go home and rest already. You’ve done more than enough.” I formally give my gratitude and bow twice. “Don’t mention it. Iseul-ah?” The two girls came to my wife and bid their goodbyes.

After that, I lead them to the door while my son, Yohan, was latching on the hem of my shirt while following behind. “Drive safely. Bye.” I wave a hand at the two ladies before closing the door. “Appa.” Yohan calls out and hugs my waist tightly. “Ne, Yohan-ah, go to the bathroom now Appa will follow, we will wash up okay?” I said and begin walking to the couch. “Appa. . .” Yohan didn’t let go of me just yet which made me stop. “What is it?” I bend down and held him on the shoulders. “Appa, let’s play.” He mutters while pouting.

“Son, later after you wash up, Appa needs to take care of your dongsaeng because Eomma will take a rest okay? We can play tomorrow, it’s also your sleep time. You should be sleeping too. Do you understand Appa?” I explain and the kid just continued frowning and ran away from me with that sulky state. I heave a sigh as I watch my mad son go to the bathroom. “This is what I’m worrying about. Honey, explain to him okay?” Iseul speaks making me turn. “What do you want me to do?” I ask and scratch the back of my neck.

Why is it always me who needs to explain it?

This always makes the kid’s disappointments my responsibility.

“He’s getting jealous but he needs to get over it. We can’t help that Yojoon needs us more right now, okay.” I add and walk over to them. Iseul looks up to me with a frown. “What—he’s a kid. You want him to get over it? He’ll end up hating his brother, do you want that? Just go to him, sleep with him tonight. He’s been sleeping with Hana and Soomi. He just wants attention, geez Kyungsoo don’t expect him to be mature at two.” My wife answers back before looking back down to Yojoon.

“I didn’t even mean it like that. I just want him not to feel jealous because it’s not something to—“Please, this is Yojoon’s first night here, let’s not fight. Please?” Iseul asks with a firm tone and I just roll my eyes before walking away. The way she pleads like that is offending and makes me seem like the worst person. It’s not as if I’m not aware this is Yojoon’s first night here but the thing is, she always expects me to handle complicated situations like this.

If I’ll put this in my own way, I’d say she’s scared of her own kids. She’s scared to be hated nor earn disappointments from them. She’s the type of parent who has the tendency to be controlled by her own child which fortunately isn’t happening because I am here.

But good Lord, she needs a tough side too as a parent.

I know I seem angry at my wife right now, well I am really angry at her right now.

I arrive at the bathroom and Yohan was there sitting by the edge of the low bathtub and was fiddling his fingers on the rubber duck toy in his hands. “Yohan-ah?” I call making him look up. I walk over to him and knelt down the tiled floor just enough for me to level my face with his. “Are you mad at Eomma and Appa?” I ask and his cheeks. He shakes his head immediately. “Then why did Yohan run away from Appa like that? Do you know that it’s not good? Appa might still say something earlier but you ran away. What do you think Appa felt when you ran away?” I calmly reprimand him as much as I can.

“S-sad. . .” he muffles. “Yes, I felt sad. I thought Yohan was mad at me. Are you mad at Appa?” I ask and he shakes his head again. “Okay, hug me so I won’t feel sad anymore.” I hush softly and right away, he wraps his arms around my neck. I kiss him on the cheek and run my fingers through his hair. “Yohan-ah, your baby brother right now is very small and not yet as active as you are, so all three of us. Me, Eomma and you should help and take care of him okay? Could you help Eomma and Appa?” I ask as our eyes meet.

“Yojoonie is weak?” He asks. “Not weak but not yet a big boy like you so he always needs to be carried, hugged always and also fed because he can’t use his hands yet like you do. See his hands? They’re still very small so he can’t do what his Hyung can already do. Could you be a good hyung?” I ask and he quickly nodded. Even excitedly. “Really? Promise?” I ask and he grabs my hand right both of his tiny ones and made our pinky fingers locked. I smile back as he does.

Phew, that went easy.

See, this is what I want Iseul to learn.

To be gentle yet still authoritative. Yohan has grown seeing me strict but at the same time gentle like this probably the reason why he ends up listening to me because he knows if he doesn’t, I’ll turn strict again.

But I guess I’ll just have to deal with it, every parent is different. I can’t force her to do things like I do.

And anyway, we both balance each other’s skills out. I balance out my toughness with her spoiling of Yohan and probably Yojoon in the future. She also balances out my being too strict and less clingy with her cuddling, spoiling and simply being a kind and sweet parent.

So I’d say we still make a well-balanced parenthood.

We’re going to be fine.

So after explaining things to my son, I washed him up and changed his clothes. We got out together and my wife has fallen asleep while sitting up and having Yojoon in her arms, still. I bend down to Yohan, “Baby, you go first to your room and I’ll follow. I’ll just put Eomma to bed.” I whisper. “Appa, Yohannie is sleepy already. I sleep already, ne?” He asks which made me smile. “No stories anymore?” I ask and he shakes his head before hugging my neck. “Nighty night, Appa. I love you.” He tells before running to his room like he was shy of what he just said.

I chuckle and watch him go into his room on his own.

The thing is, saying I love you is normal for him and Iseul.

But not with me, he’s always shy when it comes to me.

Let’s just say his fear of his father is a combination of great respect and fear of being looked in the eyes by me. The kid really gets terrified whenever I would look at him seriously. Unless I’m in the gentlest side which was like earlier, he wouldn’t dare looking at me straight in the eyes. He would usually look around, look down or look at his mother or best, close his eyes whenever I talk seriously and firmly.

Sometimes it makes me question myself, are my eyes that terrifying?

So I walk over to my wife on the couch and bend down to her. “Iseul-ah. . .” I whisper and place a small peck on her lips. It instantly woke her up and she lifted her head again while blinking. “Yohan already went to bed. I’ll take it from here.” I carefully take Yojoon from her. “Just wash your face, brush your teeth and go to bed.” I carry Yojoon with one arm while my other hand grabs my wife’s. “Quick.” I pull her up to stand while she holds onto her tummy. She glances at the wall clock. “Wake me up at. . . 1AM. I already fed and burped him. But if he gets hungry much earlier, just wake me up.” She te

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter