Not An Option

Mind Over Matter (Kyungsoo's POV)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

*ring ring* “Whose phone is that? Please answer quickly.” Dr. Ha tells which made me gulp. It was my phone. I could feel it vibrating in my pants. “I apologize. I’m just going to answer it, you can go on without me, please do so.” I tell before skipping out of the meeting room.

It’s Iseul. I told her I’d turn my phone off.

Well of course I can’t turn it off, what if she calls?

Just like right now. See how smart I am? I know she would not do what I say so I was careful enough.

I press answer immediately and put the phone on my ear. “I thought you’ll turn off?” I hear her somewhat irritated voice on the other end. “I said that so you won’t call to disturb but I couldn’t possibly turn it off for real because there might be an emergency as well. So if this isn’t an emergency, I will get mad. I just excused myself real quick from the meeting.” I answer back while glancing at my clock. “Kyung-ah. . .” She suddenly sounded weak this time which worried me.

“What’s wrong?” I ask feeling my brows meeting at the center. “I feel like I have a fever and I’m also having menstrual cramps since this morning.” She tells and I heave a sigh. Of all times that she’s unwell, I had to be busy. “Just stay on your bed. Try the ginger remedy I taught you for the headache.” I suggest while running my fingers through my hair.

“I’m at work.” She murmurs which made me frown even more. This tenacious little creature. “Ha? I thought you already feel sick since the morning?” I ask and sigh before leaning on the wall. “I know but I couldn’t possibly leave my work just because of menstrual cycle s.” She hisses back. Is she mad? Is she mad at me right now? I hate this. “You call it s but you’re complaining right now. Just go home” I answer back with the same tone. “But I’m already here.” She answers still with the same irritated tone that I would never ever—not in a million years—like.

“That’s why I said go home. Treat yourself, I can’t leave my work right now. Don’t be a kid.” I scold while groaning. “Yah, Kyungsoo. You think this pain is easy? For like sixteen years I have alwa—“Alright alright, I’m sorry. I shall understand your mood swings. Please, could you just go home and so you won’t feel sick for too long?” I cut her off, my voice is softening. “But Kyungsoo, I feel shy to excuse myself suddenly. It’s a bit busy here right now.” She still insists.

“That’s the thing. Have you checked your temperature? If you move even more, you might really have a fever. Come on, just go home and listen to me.” I plead this time hoping she would give in. “I said it’s hard to excuse myse—“Please?” I cut her off. “Fine.” She tells with a hard tone, I twitch my lips as such tone. “Good. I won’t turn my phone off. You can call me but not too much, alright? My team will get mad at me. Text me your temperature. If you have a fever, drink medicine right away. If it’s just headache, do the remedy I’ve told you about.” I try to sound as calm as possible.

“Can’t you. . . can’t you come over?” She asks. I turn to the door of the meeting place and heave a sigh. It will be hard. “Iseul, you—“Fine. I’m not even pushing it.” She grunts. She is very mad at me and I do not like it. “Just call me. If I don’t answer, I might be in a lab. Once I’m out, I’ll call.” I coo and hope for a nice answer. “Fine. . .” She only muffles. “Are you mad at me?” I ask with a fearful tone.

I don’t know but I think the only thing that scares me in this world is when she’s mad.

I don’t know if it’s because she’s scary when mad or. . . I’m just afraid to lose her if she gets mad and wants to break up again.

I don’t know if I can still afford it.

I don’t know why I keep on saying I don’t know when I know everything.

“No. . .” She murmurs. “No, you’re mad at me.” I tell. “I said—I’m not mad.” She heaves a deep sigh and answers. “Are you sure?” I ask. I try to sound as playful as possible hoping it would cheer her up. She likes me playful. “I said I’m not, okay?? Stop asking because it’s annoying!” She grunts back and I chuckle. “There she goes. . .” I mutter but look down to the floor. It always hurts me when she raises her voice.

“It’s not even funny.” She hisses and before I knew it, the call ends.

I lost my smile as I stare down at the phone.

Good lord, she is mad.

This cannot be.

I step back into the meeting room and they all turned to me. “Ma’am’s, Sir’s, May I excuse myself for today’s session? An emergency came up with my fiancée and I just—“Dr. Do we understand but this is our very first meeting regarding the publishing. You would miss a lot of things.” One tells. “I won’t. I’ll get back to it later on. I just really need to go.” I plead. “I think your fiancée would understand if you choose this first right? This book is very important for the university. It will hold the school’s pride and we’re—“I’m sorry, I don’t even need to choose. My fiancée will stay with me for a lifetime, the money I’ll get from the publishing? No, it will come and go. So if you’ll just excuse me—“Wait a minute, Dr. Do you sounded a little rude—“ I intercept again.

“I don’t mean to disrespect but Dr. Choi, I initially declined the offer to join the research group because of my wedding but I had to move the wedding just for this book’s sake. Running an errand to take care of my sick fiancée isn’t a big deal for the fact that I already put this first before my wedding right?” I ask and they all got silent. I fix my suit. “Very well. If it’s all clear, thank you very much. I am going back as soon as I can. Good bye.” I tell and bow politely before leaving.

Sometimes I don’t know why I lasted a long time—and still working—with these bunch of inconsiderate people who don’t know anything but pride.

They’re not even as intelligent as I.

Good Lord, such people get me on my nerves.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter