Love Is a Gift

Dawn's Breath

 

Your eyes say that you like me
What do I do if it’s something I imagined?
My lips have the words I love you
What do I do if I can’t hold it in and say it?
What do I do with you?


- Lim Kim, What To Do With You
 
 
 
 
Sehun received the best present ever for his 20th birthday.
PG-13, 1100 words

 


 


It was the usual summer morning. The sun had been awake for a few hours, casting its bright rays on the garden outside. Flowers were dancing under the soft breeze and waving at the cloudless sky. Luhan was in the kitchen, nose relishing the smell of melted chocolate while his mouth hummed a joyful tune, and his fingers worked hard on tying the green ribbon around the white little box. Sehun's favorite colors.

Today was his best friend's birthday. The boy was still snoring away the sleep he deprieved Luhan from last night. Sehun thought it was necessary to get his first gift a few hours prior his special day, waking up Luhan from his haze with a kiss and aiming to get a few more. Apparently, Sehun had a bad day at work, and the sole way he found to get rid off the stress weighing on his shoulders was to show up in their shared bedroom, making noises on purpose when he removed his clothes and climbed on the bed, eager to finish the day in a better mood.

And that was the case, but the same couldn't be said about Luhan, who spent the whole day on his laptop, scrutinizing different sites in search for two concert tickets Sehun had been whining to get for months now. Luhan was quite proud of himself, that what he sought for Sehun was sealed into a white box, waiting to be exchanged against a smile, a thanks, and maybe another round of love making.

Actually, Sehun wasn't really Luhan's best friend anymore. They simply never make it official that they were more than what they still referred themselves to be. Luhan didn't mind. He was happy with Sehun, and the title of their relationship wouldn't change that.

"Lu, I'm hungry."

. Luhan cursed inwardly. Sehun wasn't supposed to wake up this early. "Sehun! What are you doing here?" Luhan asked, voice a pitch higher as he turned around and hurried to hide the box behind his back.

Sehun stepped in the kitchen with an eyebrow raised in confusion. "I live here?"

"O-okay, but who allowed you to enter?"

"So I need permission to get inside my own kitchen?" Sehun walked closer, and Luhan gulped. "Anyway, where’s my gift?"

Luhan rolled his eyes. "In the oven."

"I get a cake for my birthday, again? Wow, best friend ever."

"Shut up, and just accept what I'm willing to give you. A cake is a lot of work, so be thankful."

"Of course," Sehun acknowledged with a smile. However, before he could come any closer, Luhan oustretched one of his arms, prompting Sehun to halt his steps.

"Why aren't you wearing a shirt?"

Sehun looked down briefly before looking up, blinking innocently. "You're wearing my shirt."

Luhan blushed. "I– yeah, okay, well, go fetch another one and come back after, okay?"

"No, I'm good. What are you hiding behind your back?"

"I– it's–" Sehun was so close to him that Luhan could barely breath. In a quick attempt to gain time, Luhan hopped up the counter, keeping the gift hidden from Sehun's curious gaze. "I'm taller than you!" he exclaimed with an awkward laugh, eyes taking in his surroundings. "Woah, so that's how you see the world... Amazing."

Sehun came closer and placed his palms on either side of Luhan. "Yeah, I have quite a good view."

Luhan looked at him, meeting Sehun’s intense stare. "I can see that now."

Luhan's heartbeat sounded so loud in the silence that followed, he wondered if Sehun could hear it.

"Beautiful," Sehun said.

"What?"

"The sight is beautiful from here," he added.

A blush blossomed on Luhan's cheeks. "I'm not beautiful..." he mumbled sourly, "I'm handsome."

"You said ‘pretty’ wrong."

Sometimes, Luhan hated the fact that Sehun knew him so well. Of course, it helped that Sehun always had the right words to make him feel better. Even wordlessly, Sehun could find ways to make him feel better like cuddling or giving him a hug when he's feeling down. Unfortunately, all advatages come with a disadvantage, which means Sehun always knows how to and what to tease Luhan about. In the end, it was just really annoying. "Stop. It's not funny," Luhan mumbled, pouting.

"Make me," Sehun challenged smugly. Another thing Luhan hated was how adorable Sehun could act when he desired something; the sweetness of his actions obliged Luhan to give him whatever he wanted. Luhan scoffed at his childish retort, but he played along as he craddled Sehun's face between his hands, kissing his smile. Luhan could feel Sehun's lips curling into a grin, and he soon reciprocated the motion. Luhan loved Sundays. They were full of warmth, affection, and Sehun: a combination he would never get tired of.

"I was thinking," Sehun muttered softly against Luhan's lips, hands resting on his back, "We could go shopping and buy you new shoes, I know you need a new pair."

Luhan scrunched his nose cutely. "Sehun, it's your birthday..."

"Yes, and I want to spend it with you."

The sincerity behind Sehun's words was so real. Luhan could see it reflected in his eyes. Sehun was looking at him with admiration, almost in reverence. Luhan noticed it before, that glimmer that seemed to only appear when Sehun's gaze was in his direction. Luhan was certain Sehun could hear his heart now. It was beating with a new purpose, pushing him to unveil a secret he kept concealed for far too long.

"I love you so much..."

Well, . That wasn't supposed to happen. Those words weren't supposed to be spoken. Luhan inwardly cursed his brain for allowing them to tumble out of his mouth because now, Sehun's smile was gone and he was staring at Luhan strangely and he wasn't saying anything and Luhan hated Sundays and this wasn’t supposed to happen.

"I– uhm–" Luhan reached behind him, grasped the gift and presented it to Sehun. "Ha-Happy birthday!" Despite the awkward situation he put himself in, Luhan managed his most genuine smile, trying his best to stir the attention away from his sudden confession. It probably looked weird on his face, but he didn't care because Sehun's eyes were, thankfully, diverted by the small box resting on his trembling hands.

Sehun took it and started to unwrap it. "Well, thank you. But I'd like to enjoy my other gift first."

Blinking, Luhan tilted his head. "What, the cake?"

Sehun shook his head. He removed the ribbon and tied it around Luhan’s neck, causing Luhan to look at it with a curious frown.

"This one."

Luhan snapped his head up, blushing furiously and sputtering.

Sehun smiled. "By the way," He placed a gentle kiss on Luhan’s lips. "I love you too."

 

 

 

 


This was my fic for Selubration round 5! Hope you enjoyed it. :)
Look at the other fics too, they're really great.