o29

Prometheus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Is there such thing as giving a slip to my gym teacher telling him I can’t participate in the wrestling unit because I’m weak and I might break a bone?” I asked Jongin.

 

“Nope,” he replied cheerily.

 

“Great.” I kicked a stone on the path. “This is actually unfair. Is the school going to pay if I’m injured?”

 

He shrugged. “I’d say the best strategy is run if you can’t win, but obviously you’re just going to get laughed at if you bolt in a wrestling match, so… good luck?”  

 

 

Chapter 29


 

I’m going to die was my first thought, but that was also a very frequent thought that I got so I wasn’t quite sure if it really meant anything anymore. Still, this I’m going to die was significantly more… panic-y than the ones than the ones that happened before. I was facing down the fairy on my own with my shortsword, my aura, and whatever training I’d managed to absorb from lessons with Kai. It wasn’t very helpful that I had no idea what to do staring at the berserker fae in front of me—what exactly was I supposed to do? It supposedly got stronger the more blood it lost, so was I supposed to finish it one shot?

 

Besides, Eunhae had told me there was more than one berserker fae, so it couldn’t have been the only one. Maybe I could blow it up with my aura or my failed attempt at a spell if it was on it’s own, but I wouldn’t have the energy to do that again and there would be more.

 

The only advantage I had at the moment was speed because the faerie seemed to move at a relatively slow pace and even I was faster than that, but in terms of strength and endurance, I’d probably have to give it the the monster.

 

I tried to think what Kai would do. My back was to the dead-end of the alley, which was both a good thing and a bad: it meant there would be no ambushes from the back which I could be thankful for because I could barely handle the front, but it also meant that I had no place to run unless I’d magically develop the power to run up walls. I wondered if I’d pass whatever test this was by running, but I highly doubted that.

 

in a deep breath, I tried to calm my nerves and look back at the berserker fae. They weren’t supposed to be intelligent, fast, or very… self preserving, seeing that they fought harder when they were injured. I wasn’t necessarily intelligent either, but at least I was more self preserving than the faerie.

 

It didn’t take much concentration for me to summon my aura, and gold flickered to life around me. The berserker fae’s face didn’t change at all, though it hissed at me in the same inhuman voice that sent shudders down my spine. Hands shaking, I drew the blade and took a step forward.

 

Eunhae, I thought. This is an absolutely terrible idea.

 

I lunged at the monster.

 

It probably wasn’t expecting me to do something so stupid because quite frankly, I wasn’t expecting myself to either. I managed to get a decent cut on it, and something horrifying red (it was noticeably darker than human’s blood) began to drip out. That wasn’t the worst part, though—the fae looked completely unbothered by it. It turned to look at the wound slowly before shifting its gaze back at me, mouth twisting into a feral smile. I barely had time to think couldn’t Eunhae have chosen an easier monster for me? before it launched itself at me, barely caring about the way I’d held the blade in front of me.

 

It didn’t move fast, but when I tried to parry its claws with my blade, my sword nearly went flying. The faerie brought a new level to brute force. It didn’t seem to notice the blood dripping off it’s hands either as it took another wobbly step at me. “Athanatoi,” it repeated.

 

Kai, if you’re there, please help, I thought, though the rooftops remained empty. I got the horrifying image of him and Eunhae returning to the Seoul safehouse— “haha, Mira can deal with it herself” —and that thought was too overwhelming to even think about. Kai would never do such a thing, but facing the berserker fae completely alone just made me doubt.

 

I barely managed to avoid its next attack, stumbling back a couple wobbly steps. I forced my aura to glow brighter, but instead of flinching away from it, the faerie didn’t seem the least bit bothered by it.

 

Or maybe that wasn’t accurate— it was affected physically, but the only thing it seemed to want to do was attack me and it didn’t seem to care that my aura was literally burning it. I slashed wildly at it with my shortsword, completely forgetting everything Kai had taught me about using a weapon in a desperate attempt to make it back off.

 

Blood splattered on me, and I nearly shrieked. I hated fighting, I hated training, I hated being an Athanatoi in general. There were too many expectations, especially because I had a gold aura, and it just wasn’t fair. I didn’t ask for this life, and while Jimin’s words echoed through my head— none of us did, Mira, so it up— it just made me angrier.

 

I managed a good hit on the fae this time. Blood was dripping all around it which was absolutely disgusting, but the anger itself made me move.

 

Its movements began getting sloppier than before, though it seemed to come at me with twice the ferociousness. It wasn’t easy catching all of its moves or avoiding them, but sooner or later, I began to fall into the pattern and rhythm. It was easier than I suspected—Kai was right, I had speed as an advantage—and despite its strength, the berserker fae was obviously killing itself the more it fought. I hadn’t been injured yet, and while my energy was definitely waning, the monster would be dead any moment.

 

The final blow was definitely an of-the-moment thing, and I had absolutely no idea how I even managed to do it because Kai had failed in teaching me it for an hour and promptly given up. At the last minute, I managed to twist to the side, narrowly avoiding razor sharp claws before jabbing the sword upwards.

 

It wasn’t the cleanest cut, but it was definitely the last push needed to kill the monster. It exploded into golden dust above me and I stumbled forward, head pounding and absolutely exhausted.

 

And also coming face to face with three more of the monsters.

 

My first thought was what the hell, I’m hallucinating before I remembered Eunhae saying that there were several. I stared in both horror and shock at the three berserker faes in front of me.

 

They didn’t seem to be in the mood to chat when they saw me, and it was possible that it was because they just witnessed me killing one of their friends. The first one snarled Athanatoi (which I was beginning to get tired of hearing) and promptly tried to stab me in the stomach.

 

Karma, probably, I thought as I barely avoided it. The three of them closed in, and I suddenly hated the idea of having a dead-end at my back because I very much wanted to bolt. The only thing lighting the place up was the flare of my aura, and then all of a sudden, I remembered the flashlights that were in my pocket.

 

Not my most brilliant moment, but then again, the berserker faes were beginning to get a little too close for comfort and I wasn’t going to let that happen. I chucked a flashlight with all my might at the one closest to me, and it connected with its face with a satisfying thunk. That was as far as I got before they advanced again.

 

At least it did something. I couldn’t fight all five of them with a shortsword alone—that could be reserved for Kai—so I tried to summon more of my aura, though the effort was really drain

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter