Nine.

A Chance Encounter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A Chance Encounter. Chapter Nine.

 

 

I rush to the door as the doorbell rings. Yixing is still dressed in his work clothes from morning; his tie hangs loosely around his collar. He looks a little exhausted. I wonder if his work takes a toll on him every day. Who goes to work on a Sunday morning anyway? I don’t exactly have a say in this, it’s his life, his work, and he can do whatever he chooses to. The most I can do is voice out my concerns.

 

“Hey!” Yixing smiles widely, flashing his dimple. I mirror his smile as I step out of the door. I’m actually looking forward to this date. I’m definitely feeling a little less uncertain that last time.

 

“Hey! Ready to go?” I grin. I haven’t really thought the whole thing through, but I’ll push my luck with ice-skating first. I never really found the chance to go ice-skating because of Chanyeol. “Where do you stand on ice-skating?” I ask carefully. I’m secretly praying he’d be fine with it. Please, please just agree to it.

 

“Is that what you want to do?” he asks me, smiling again. I’m still getting used to seeing him smile so often. When I’d first met him at Bona’s engagement party, he had been frowning the whole evening. And that’s what led to the whole misunderstanding I had about his feelings for Bona. I wouldn’t really let Yixing know this, but I still feel, very slightly though, that he might just have feelings for my cousin. Maybe I could just insinuate on the whole thing in a very subtle manner, and see if he admits to it. But first, I’d want to make the most of my ice-skating plan!

 

“Uhmm…yes,” I mumble.

 

“Then let’s go ice-skating,” he says.

 

“You don’t mind?”

 

“It doesn’t matter. You’re calling the shots, remember? But if you do need to know…I used to play a little ice-hockey back in school, I’ll get by just fine,” he grins smugly. And I just shake my head in response.

 

“I haven’t really been ice-skating before,” I admit. “I never got the chance to go.”

 

“Oh.” He frowns slightly. “That won’t be a problem. I can teach you…as long as you promise not to fall on me. I don’t want to be nursing a broken back.” He glances at me as if assessing my reaction. I simply roll my eyes at him playfully and he chuckles immediately. I don’t think he has even a single romantic bone in his body!

 

 

Okay, this crap looks really easy in movies, but it isn’t! I’m gripping on to Yixing’s hands as tightly as I can, bracing myself for a fall. This is really difficult; I can’t even seem to stand steadily.

 

“Juyeon, I need you to concentrate, okay?” Yixing says. “Don’t be afraid, I won’t let you fall.”

He skates backwards slowly, dragging me forward with him. How can I not be afraid? I don’t want to fall and break my teeth! My legs feel extra wobbly for some reason. I should have never come up with this stupid plan.

 

“Juyeon,” Yixing says sternly. “This wasn’t a stupid plan. Just stop being so apprehensive and you’ll enjoy it!”

 

Right, I had forgotten all about his magical mind-reading abilities, which works only with me apparently. 

 

“Come on, find a steady posture,” he instructs. “I’ll let you fall on me, so don’t worry about hurting yourself.” I look up to see him smiling at me softly. His eyes are so captivating. Crap…I think I’m slipping.

 

Yixing grunts slightly as I topple over him. It wasn’t my fault! He was the one who distracted me with his dreamy brown eyes! “Are you okay?” I mutter slowly, afraid if he’s actually broken his back. I wonder how much I weigh now. Weighing scales have turned out to be my enemies recently with Bona’s approaching wedding. I quickly get off of him to settle right beside him. I don’t want him to break his back!

 

“I’m fine,” he groans slightly as he sits up. He exhales sharply before holding on to the railing on the side to get up. He then extends his hand towards me. “Okay, we’ll try this one more time. I need you to concentrate, Juyeon.” I really, really like the way he says my name. Okay, right, I need to concentrate. I take his hand, feeling a wave of determination pass through me. Actually, no, I don’t feel very determined. I’m still a little scared, but since we’ve already come here, I want to try once more.

 

Okay, I feel like I’m doing a lot better. I’m getting a hang of this. Perhaps I could just come in here every weekend and practice. This is actually quite fun, as long as you ignore these over-smart kids with their gymnastic tricks and condescending stares. I think a five year old just made fun of me!  This is all my parents’ fault; they should have taught me ice-skating when I was a kid. I’d have learnt faster at least. Yixing’s been quite patient throughout, thankfully. I feel a little bad for him; I’m not exactly the most ideal pupil. I’m pretty sure his back is bruised, it’s like he signed up for torture voluntarily.

 

“Shall we get going?” I ask him as we rest on one of the benches at the rink.

 

“Yeah, alright. Have you had your fill?” he quips.

 

“Yeah, for today. Maybe I could just drop in sometime in the weekends and practice.” I don’t really have much to do over the weekends; I usually tag along if Mum goes shopping. Now that mum’s single, she’s all set to change her wardrobe. It’s all part of a ‘new her’ apparently. And I’ve decided to be supportive of her. I haven’t really seen my Dad around of late, but we exchange emails once in a while. I’d be fine as long as he doesn’t say anything like, “You’re going to be an elder sister!” or something of that sort. That’d be extremely sickening.

 

“Sounds like a plan. I could help you out,” Yixing says coolly.

 

“Really? You’d do that?” I ask, rather disbelievingly. I wasn’t expecting him to say that.

 

“Yeah, why not?” He shrugs.

 

“And if I break your back?” I counter.

 

“Then I’m afraid, you’ll have to find a new instructor,” he laughs. “So what’s next?”

 

“I don’t know. Dinner? Are you hungry?”

 

“Starving!” he exclaims, takin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter