Epilogue.

A Chance Encounter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A Chance Encounter. Epilogue.

 

 

Yixing and I have don’t have the most conventional relationship. Sometimes, I feel like he’s my best friend, whom I can confide in every time I feel distressed. Or someone I can share any exciting news with. Like today, I can barely contain my excitement. And Yixing is the first person I can think of calling. I retrieve my phone and dial his number, while tapping my fingers impatiently, waiting for him to pick up. My workplace desk is already filled with flowers and congratulatory messages, and some of them even brought a cake to help me celebrate.

 

I can hear the annoying dial tone, over and over. Why isn’t he picking up? I cut the call and dial his office landline. I need to tell him the news. Also, he was partly responsible for it. Kyungsoo beams at me from the far end of the office, he seems more ecstatic than me for some reason. At least now he’d stop pestering me when I slack off.

 

“Hello, Mr. Zhang’s office.” I hear a bored, monotone voice.

 

“Hi!” I exclaim excitedly. “I need to talk to Yixing, can you put me through?”

 

“Who is this?” the person asks in the same indifferent voice. Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Or maybe he just hates his job. I wouldn’t want to be Yixing’s secretary too. He’s just too particular and finicky when it comes to his work. I can totally imagine him barking orders at this guy, and expressing his disappointment every time he fails to dot his ‘I’s in a memo or something. I do love Yixing, but he’s just a little too- what’s a nice way to put it…meticulous. Yes, he’s very meticulous when it comes to his work. But that could be a great thing – unless you’re one of his employees!

 

“Uhmm…this is Juyeon, his girlfriend,” I answer, trying to sound as calm as I can.

 

I hear the secretary muttering something to himself. “Mr. Zhang is busy at the moment,” he says, and cuts the call immediately. What the hell? I’m going to complain to Yixing about how incredibly rude his secretary is! I just wanted to deliver some good news, and he cuts the call? So annoying! Fine, I won’t tell Yixing. Let him find out on his own.

 

I open my emails to see if I’ve received any reply from the assistant editor of ‘It’s a Girl’s World’ magazine. I’ve sent him half a dozen emails and he never sends me the raspberry oil I want. Sometimes, I feel as if he’s doing it on purpose. Maybe he has a really boring life and torturing innocent readers like me must be his only source of entertainment. I even Googled his name to see if he had any social media I could spam, but the only results that came up were of some seventy year old gardener, a thirteen year old kid who picks his nose in every picture of his, and a page for a pet German shepherd. Maybe I should write in another email telling him that he shares his name with an animal! And how it’s an insult to the animal for sharing its name with him!

 

I really don’t understand why he can’t just send me the damn oil. I’m sure they receive tons of free samples. It wouldn’t hurt him if he gave some away. And get this, the other day, I forced Kyungsoo to write a feedback to the magazine and guess what he got? He got the damn raspberry oil! And that refused to give it to me! Apparently, his cat liked the smell and now he’s using it to give baths to his cat! Since when did cats have enough olfactory senses to appreciate bath scents? I’m telling you his cat is incredibly spoilt. The other day, when Kyungsoo brought him to the office, his cat paraded around as if he owned the place. And everyone was pampering that sinister animal with some treats! The stupid cat tried to scratch my face when I accidentally got in its way. There should be a ‘No Pets Allowed’ rule in the office – especially not evil cats like Kyungsoo’s. But I like dogs, they are simply adorable. Maybe they should just put up a ‘No Felines Allowed’ sign!

 

I go through my inbox and find a reply from the magazine. I really hope he sends me the raspberry oil this time. Please, please, please!

 

Dear Miss Kang,

 

I’m sorry to hear that your copy of this month’s edition was chewed up by an ‘evil cat’. Unfortunately, we wouldn’t be featuring an article on ‘21 reasons why cats are evil!’ as we don’t believe in debasing animals, albeit ‘evil’. I, myself, am a proud owner of a majestic Pixie bob named Mozart. And he’s the epitome of evil! But I’ve learned to embrace his malevolence, and classify it as an endearing quirk. You should try it too!

Also, I’ve put your theory to test and come to a conclusion – you cannot ward off ‘evil’ cats with raspberry bath oil. Au contraire, they’re attracted to the smell. As our magazine policy always encourages us in looking out for our valuable readers, and treat them as our comrades, I’d like to advise you against possessing any bath oils with raspberry scents as they might just attract more ‘evil’ cats.

As compensation, I’d like to send you another copy of this month’s edition along with a complimentary ‘Rosy Raspberry’ roll-on deodorant for men.

With Regards,

Byun Baekhyun,

Assistant Editor.

 

That bastard!  I swear he’s just a miserable, old fart who has nothing exciting to look forward to in life. If I ever meet him in person, I’d strangle him. My phone rings all of a sudden and I pick it up immediately. “What?” I snap.

 

“Someone’s in a bad mood.” I hear Yixing chuckling on the other end of the line.

 

“Yixing,” I grumble. “Hey.”

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“That from that magazine is sending me a roll-on deodorant for men! Can you believe him? I swear he’s doing this on purpose!” I whine.

 

Yixing chuckles softly. “Maybe it’s time you stopped sending those emails, Juyeon. Or I’ll end up having a huge collection of unnecessary grooming products.”

 

“I hate him!” I groan. Did I mention that every time that moronic editor has sent sanitary products, all for men? Yixing now has a huge collection of raspberry scented stuff! And I hate that he smells better than me sometimes! Maybe I should just use some of it nonetheless. But I want my bath oil! I feel like stomping my foot stubbornly. Yixing always tells me how I’m still child-like when it comes to certain things, but I don’t care, I want that darn oil. Aren’t adults allowed to have keen interests in complimentary gift-sets too? Whatever.

 

“So, listen, we’re going out tonight. You would want to wear something fancier than your sweatshirt.”

 

“What?” I was so immersed in plotting ways to murder that editor that I failed to catch his words. Did he say we’re going out?

 

“I have to go. Love you, bye.” He cuts the call. Wait! Why is everyone hanging up on me today? I didn’t even get the chance to tell him about my exciting news! Maybe I could I tell him when we go on our date. Apart from the email, this day’s turning out to be quite exciting.

 

I barely saw Yixing in the past two weeks; he’d been awfully busy with his annual audit thingy. And I, being the supportive girlfriend that I am, chose not to pester while he did his work. But wait…did he ask me to wear something fancy? I wonder what the occasion is. Yixing never bothers telling me where we’re going as he always comes up with some spontaneous plans, and usually that results in me looking out of place everywhere we go. And when I yell at him for not warning me beforehand, he simply shrugs and says I look great in anything I wear, which I know is his go-to answer every time I get mad at him.

 

I just wish we had some memorable dates once in a while – like having a candlelight dinner, or watching a play, which I believe is very adult-like, isn’t it? Maybe I should try something like that once in a while. I’m tired of being labeled as immature by the peo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter