Twenty Three.

A Chance Encounter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A Chance Encounter. Chapter Twenty Three.

 

 

 

“Are you sure this hairstyle would look good on me?” I ask Yixing, pointing at a picture in a magazine.

 

“Sure,” he replies, without averting his eyes off his laptop. I really don’t know what he’s up to, but he’s been at it since evening. He’s already made a dozen phone calls, yelling at someone for not doing their job right and then cursing at himself a couple of times before typing something on his laptop again. And every time I ask him something, he simply shrugs and says ‘sure’.

 

“Yixing!” I whine. “You haven’t even seen it.”

 

“I’m sure you’d look great in any hairstyle, Juyeon,” he utters impassively. He’s still immersed in his work. Why is it so hard to get an opinion on something from your boyfriend? Boyfriend, that sounds really strange. But I like saying it. Boyfriend, boyfriend, boyfriend. Mine, mine, mine. God, I sound like a possessive creep. If only Yixing could hear my thoughts, he’d flee this very moment.

 

Anyway, Bona’s having her wedding rehearsal tomorrow and I’ve planned to oblige with her demands for once. First off, I’d groom myself because she’s been nagging about my unkempt eyebrows for days now. (Does she know how much hurts to get your eyebrows waxed? Not to mention the itchy skin eruptions I get right after.) Secondly, I’d carry out my maid of honor duties sincerely. I must admit I’m quite good at it – I’ve even managed to bargain with the caterers on cutting down the expenses, the florists have agreed to get those seasonal lilies, the cake has not traces of hazelnut, the wedding invites have been sent out, and the seating arrangements have been made as well. Now, all that’s left is a perfect wedding. I’m actually looking forward to it. I can’t believe I’m even saying this. A few months ago I had thought of scheming ways to sabotage this wedding. And now I’m helping her plan it.

 

Bona seems rather excited and I’m happy for her. I just wish Chanyeol would share some of her excitement. It is a little disappointing to see him all gloomy and dull with the approaching date. They would be embracing a new life soon, they would be parents and it’d be wise if they sorted out their differences and tried to make it work. Wow, maybe I should quit my job and start writing one of those advice columns in a magazine. I’d get a free, lifetime supply of all those wonderful bath oils! (Which reminds me – if I ever meet that assistant editor I’m going to kick him in the groin.)

 

I look over at Yixing, who’s still absorbed with his laptop. I exhale deeply to capture his attention, but he remains completely unfazed. Maybe I’ll just let him be. I can always clean up my wardrobe; I’ve been meaning to do that since two weeks. Or I could work on speech for Bona’s wedding. But every time I try to pen down the words, I end up thinking about that jingle from the Lotte duty free ad for some reason. Duty, duty Lotte duty freeeee… Stop it! Or…I can bug Yixing until he’s got no choice but to set his laptop aside.

 

“Yixing, you’ve been at it for hours. Take a break!” I grumble.

 

“Sorry,” he mumbles, flipping through some black folder. “I’ve got more work now that I’ve taken up a transfer to the new branch.” He then furrows his eyebrows while he examines some graphs of some kind, mumbling something to himself.

 

“New branch? What new branch?” I question. He didn’t mention anything about this.

 

Yixing momentarily stops typing and looks at me. “Well, I asked for a transfer.”

 

“Why?” I am confused. Okay, I do know that I don’t really follow most of the things he tells me about his work, but I’m pretty sure I’m missing something here.

 

“Uhmm…” Yixing rubs his neck sheepishly as he casts a lopsided grin. “I thought you’d appreciate it if I did so. I…don’t have to work with Jia anymore.”

 

“Oh,” I say lamely. I wasn’t aware of that. He did that for me? That’s incredibly sweet of him. At least now I can get rid of those weird thoughts I had about the both of them having in their office! I wonder what Yixing would think if I ever told him that. I should probably keep those thoughts to myself. However, I feel rather bad now. I didn’t want him to do that just for my sake. He’s even got more workload. And adjusting yourself in a new place is tedious not to mention inconvenient. I wish I’d been more supportive and understanding. “I’m sorry,” I mutter. “I didn’t mean to…you know…I-”

 

“Don’t worry about it, Juyeon. The new branch is even better. It’s full of incompetent idiots, and it gives me a thrill to sit and fix all of the thousand errors they make in filling up data,” he says wryly.

 

“You’re making me feel worse,” I groan.

 

Yixing chuckles softly. “I’m kidding. My office is closer to your apartment by the way.”

 

“Really?” I grin, walking over to settle down beside him. “That sounds like a good thing.” At least, we’d meet more often then. I was worried about how we’d make it work once I moved back to my apartment in the city. Turns out Yixing was already a step ahead of me.

 

“Yeah, it is.” Yixing bends down to kiss my cheek. “I can always come over and catch a new episode of your Webtoon as soon as you finish it.”

 

I roll my eyes at him, pretending to be mad, but snuggle closer to him nonetheless. And I secretly love that he smells like the raspberry aftershave now. I can’t have him parading in his workplace with masculine cologne – that would just unnecessarily attract more women! He’s too darn irresistible! I’m pretty sure he’s used that to his advantage many a time. Like me, for instance, I really don’t know how I fell for him so quickly! I wasn’t even interested in the first place. I had found him a little serious and ‘not my type’. I don’t know… I was confused at that time. It’s his toned arms I tell you – that just happens to be my weakness. And that annoyingly delectable dimple of his! I wonder how many women have fantasized about running their tongues across his dimple! Ughh…I don’t wish to know the answer to that.

 

Yixing leans towards me to capture my lips. I close my eyes and kiss him back. Hmmm…I could never get tired of this. I think his lips are softer than mine. I feel warm and tingly all over. I suppose it’s been some time since…okay, I can’t take it anymore. I climb on to his lap slowly without breaking apart and caress his neck slowly before running my hands on his firm, sturdy chest. His body is warm and comforting, it’s seemingly blissful. He wouldn’t mind if I rip his clothes off, would he? I’m about to his shirt when he grabs my hand quickly.

 

“Juyeon, I need to finish my work,” he utters in between breaths.

 

“Do it later.” My mind feels muddled and giddy. I bend down to plant kisses on the side of his neck and he squirms slightly in response. I can’t believe how sensitive his neck is. It’s always amusing to see him react this way.

 

“Juyeon, if you want me to come for the rehearsal thing with you, I’d need to get back to my work now.”

 

Is he blackmailing me? Well… I know something he can’t say no to. “Fine,” I huff mockingly. “I’ll be in your room if you need me.” I strut off dramatically. “Oh…and I’m wearing my black lacy bra today,” I say in a singsong voice and walk towards his room. Yixing immediately shuts his laptop and pins me against the wall. See? It always works! 

 

~~~

 

Yixing is still stuck at work and I’m forced to stand here in the corner, sip on my champagne and smile awkwardly at anyone who asks me if I am the next one getting married. This is why I hate weddings! It’s as if people have nothing better to do than to pry on other people’s personal issues. I look around to see if I can find Mum, but she’s busy chatting with a couple of people I don’t seem to recognize. I really don’t know how half of them are even related to us! Seriously, how big is our family tree? The last time at my other cousin’s wedding, I found out I was related to Kim Jongin, that guy from that boy band! That’s pretty cool, isn’t it?

 

The rehearsal just got over and they’re now serving dinner. Seriously, does Yixing even intend on coming here? At least I wouldn’t look like a lonely spinster, who’d most probably end up adopting a bunch of cats later on!

 

“Hey there, kitten.” I hear an oddly familiar voice and soon someone’s feeling up my rear. God, I really don’t know what he thinks of himself. That stupid little brat. He’s never going to change.

 

“Taehyung,” I exclaim mockingly as I remove his hand from my . “Let’s keep our hands to ourselves, shall we?”

 

“Wow, you still got it,” he says. “I spotted you from three tables away. May I add how sensual you look in that dress? Your curves are mighty fine.”

 

And I need to cleanse my ears with soap. He makes me barf with his annoyingly vulgar comments. I smile at him mockingly and roll my eyes. “How was the internship?”

 

“Great. But you know what else was great? The hot I had with the busty receptionist after,” he snickers as if he’s achieved something to be immensely proud of. Seriously, is he never going to grow up?

 

“Please, spare me the details,” I groan. “Can’t you at least act civilized on your sister’s wedding day?”

 

“My sister’s wedding is tomorrow!” He flashes a mock smile. “And I was trying to cheer you up. Can’t you appreciate a guy’s efforts in cheering up a lonely, broken-hearted girl?”

 

“Thanks, but I don’t require any cheering up!” I sneer.

 

“Yeah, you seem to be doing okay. I was expecting you to turn up in your sweatpants, moping in a corner as you watched my sister gloating in triumph!”

 

“Well, I’ve moved on,” I reply smugly. “And I’ve even fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter