Twenty One.

A Chance Encounter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A Chance Encounter. Chapter Twenty One.

 

 

 

I don’t know what to think anymore. I simply rushed out of the bar and walked away as fast as I could. I think I’m about to cry. Why did he have to do that? This feels worse than my recent break-up. At least Chanyeol said something; Yixing didn’t even utter a word. I suppose I did him a favor by showing myself out. He was probably contemplating on how to tell me he’d got back together with his ex-girlfriend and didn’t want to see me anymore. Is that why he invited me? So I’d get the idea and leave on my own? I never thought of him as that kind of a person. Or maybe he realized how much I’d gotten attached to him, that he felt bad and didn’t want to break the news to me readily.

 

All that is missing now is a violent thunderstorm which would make me seem more miserable. But the weather’s ridiculously hot and humid instead. I hate this! Even the weather wouldn’t cooperate with me! I’ve probably speed-walked through a dozen blocks, when I hear Yixing shouting my name.

 

“Juyeon, wait!” he shouts. What does he want? Is he making sure I got the idea that he doesn’t want to be with me anymore? He should know that he made it pretty clear. I really don’t understand why he even bothered asking me out. Now that I’ve seen Jia, I know he’d never see himself with a girl like me. Anyone could tell we’re polar opposites! Couldn’t he find someone else to distract himself with? Or he could have just admitted that he was still in love with her, at least then I would have known not to expect anything. Maybe I was just too dumb to not realize it. I was happy that he let me plan our dates, but the truth is… he was never interested, so he couldn’t care less about what I’d wanted him to do. He simply needed a distraction – something to get his mind off things until he fixed things with his ex again.

 

I let out a small yelp when someone grabs my hand suddenly. I’d been so lost in my thoughts that I didn’t realize Yixing had caught up.

 

“Juyeon!” he pants as he tries to steady his breath. Did he run all the way? I can see sweat tricking down his neck. And his hair is all disheveled, but that just makes him look more—forget it! This time I’m not going to forgive him. Even if he looks hot! (I’m not that shallow! Come on! Although, if Chris Evans came running after me with his Captain America suit, I’d certainly let him off.) Seriously, what’s wrong with me? Perhaps, this is why I find myself being unfairly treated very often. Maybe not holding grudges against people is a bad thing – they think you’re defenseless, and you wouldn’t say a thing if they hurt you! Perhaps it’s time I stopped doing that. I should stop forgiving them so easily.

 

I had been so ecstatic that I’d solved my issues with Chanyeol in the morning, and now I find myself in a fix again. I somehow feel like I’m bringing this upon myself. Why did I even bother sitting through all of that when all Yixing was doing was pretending I didn’t exist? Why didn’t I ask him what he’d wanted from me? I should have asked him to clarify things, put a label on to our relationship. This whole living in the moment, going with the flow was never going to work out for me, was it?

 

I know my mind’s conflicted, I should probably talk it out with Yixing, shouldn’t I? Yet, I find myself thinking of some brownie recipe I’d read. Well… this is my brain’s defense mechanism of sorts – every time I’m distressed and about to break down, I divert my attention to irrelevant things which would distract me momentarily.  That and…I also happen to hate crying in front of people. I somehow feel being around people when you’re miserable and crying makes it even worse. They ask you if you’re alright, you try to tell them you’re fine, but you end up blubbering like a small baby anyway.

 

“Juyeon…,” Yixing says, wheezing as he tries to catch his breath. “I’ll drop you home.”

 

Really? He chased after me just he could offer to drop me home? The way he’d been running, I thought he’d apologize and beg him to forgive me or something. “You needn’t do that, Yixing. I’m perfectly capable of getting back home on my own,” I answer grimly.

 

“Juyeon, please…I need to talk to you.” He straightens up and ruffles his hair slightly. I can’t really read his expression. “But I’ve got to get Jia first, she’s a little tipsy. Please, just wait here, okay?” he pleads desperately.

 

“We can talk later then,” I retort. I clutch on to my grocery bag and walk past him. I’m honestly not in the mood to talk to him – he’ll probably just tell me he’s getting back with her. And I’m not ready to hear that. I just want to get back home. I’m tired, and I feel extremely distressed. My head is starting to pound and my eyes are stinging from my tears. If I see him with her again, I must just start sobbing right away. I want him to leave me alone and worry about his drunken girlfriend.

 

“No, we have to talk now,” he says sternly. I simply stare at him, my face devoid of any emotions. He gazes back at me with the same helpless expression he had when I was leaving. Great! Now he probably feels bad for me. If he says something like he’s sorry, I might just punch him in the gut. My resolution to not resort to physical violence can go to hell! “Please, Juyeon,” he says when I fail to answer. “I’m not letting you go like that.”

 

Couldn’t he have just said that in the bar? I could have at least used the restroom. I want to pee so badly. See, this is what I meant, everything’s against me – even my freaking bladder. I nod silently, wearing my best un-amused expression. My calves feel sore from walking, and my bag of groceries is heavy – the most he can do is dropping me home, after all that he’s done. He casts another wary glance towards me and rushes off towards the bar.

 

God! Every time my life takes a dramatic turn, something or the other ruins it. Yixing wasn’t supposed to come running after me. He should have stayed at the bar with his shampoo-commercial girlfriend, while I walked back in the heavy rain, sobbing violently as I got drenched, even though I had an umbrella! And there was supposed to be some sad, angst-filled music in the background as I ran through the sidewalk, struggling to catch my breath because I’m reminiscing some flashback scenes like how he had taught me ice-skating or something. Maybe I should work on that Webtoon; I could add that new character and make him a jerk! The viewers definitely would definitely love all the drama.

 

I settle down on a small ledge of the sidewalk and dump my bag of groceries beside me. I guess I could hear him out. I don’t really know what he wants to say. My eyes are still burning a little, I dab them slightly before I could burst down crying, because once I do, I end up in with these sobbing fits that even hinders my breathing. So, yeah, that isn’t a pleasant sight to witness. I’m trying to think of other things that’d distract me from my forming tears. Why the heck is the weather so hot and humid?

 

 

Yixing assures he’s sober as he drives off. I take a seat at the back silently. Jia keeps moving around, fidgeting with the glove box in the front. I really don’t know how many cocktails the girl had, but she’s definitely tipsy. But that doesn’t make it alright to say weird things about me like, “Hey, she’s so cute, she smells like a cheap perfume!” Seriously, she’s lucky she’s drunk; I’d have knocked her perfect front teeth off otherwise. She opens the glove box and retrieves something out of it. She bursts into laughter all of a sudden. I want to slap her. “What are these…?” she exclaims excitedly. “Are these… hair elastics?” she giggles loudly. “You aren’t planning on growing your hair, are you Yixing?” She pokes his cheek repeatedly.

 

I eye the colorful elastic bands she holds on her palm. Hey! Those look like mine. “These are mine,” I say, and take them from her. I guess I must have left it at his place. I keep losing them anyway. Why does he have them in the glove box anyway? Maybe he intended to return them or something. Whatever.

 

“They’re everywhere,” Yixing says silently. “Your hair elastics…” he clarifies when I give him an incredulous look. “In my bathroom, couch, everywhere.” He clears his throat awkwardly. Of course, he must have wanted to get rid of them because Jia wouldn’t like it if she saw some other girl’s belongings in his place.

 

“I’m sorry,” I mutter indifferently and look outside the window. Why is he so hell-bent on making me cry?

 

Jia snorts obnoxiously. “Maybe she sheds them or something!”

 

Yixing simply looks away and starts the car. And I simply remain mum. Jia blabs about something throughout the way, while I simply look out of the back seat window. I’m clutching on to my grocery bag as if it would comfort me, but it doesn’t help. I really think they both have feelings for each other. They should figure it out or whatever, like I resolved my issues with Chanyeol. Maybe then, Yixing would realize he’s still in love with her and save me from this anxiousness about the whole if he wants to be with me or not. And it’d be better if that happened soon, which is why I agreed to hear whatever he had to say. The sooner I get this over with, the better.

 

We f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter