Ten.

A Chance Encounter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A Chance Encounter. Chapter Ten.

 

 

“There’s no rule that says the guy always has to pay!” I argue with Yixing stubbornly as he tries to settle the bill. It’s a friendly argument of sorts, I’d say. We didn’t quite end up agreeing on the whole dipping your fries in Coke thing either. He did try though, under my watchful eyes. It was rather a funny sight to witness; he’d shuddered immediately after tasting it and gulped down some more coke as if to wash away the taste.

 

“I’m not doing that again.” He’d grimaced in an exaggerated manner. “That’s the weirdest thing I’ve ever tasted. Seriously, Juyeon, who the hell dips their fries in Coke?”

 

“I do!” I’d protested vehemently. “And it tastes great.” Anyway, I still maintain that dipping your fries in coke isn’t all that weird. You should always be ready to experiment with new things. Now Yixing can at least say he’s tried dipping his fries in coke before he dies. 

 

Coming back to the whole argument about settling the bill, I figured it was my turn to pay. Besides, I was the one who asked him out, remember? And it isn’t like I’m broke or anything. When I was dating Chanyeol, we had made a pact to split the bill, the apartment rent and other expenses. I guess I’ve become accustomed to it. Now that I think of it that had been a difficult time for me. I was doing horrible at work, was getting paid minimally while Chanyeol had taken over his father’s company. He could have easily offered to cover the rent for me; I was his girlfriend after all. Anyway, I had to cut down on a lot of expenses to take care of my basic necessities. My father had quit his job and I didn’t really want to add on to the burden. But I can’t really blame Chanyeol; he wasn’t obligated to cover my expenses in any way.

 

“I thought it was basic courtesy,” Yixing says.

 

“Times are changing, Yixing,” I exclaim dramatically. “You know, gender equality and stuff?”

 

“Oh, please, no…don’t get me started on that,” he sighs as if he’s fed up. “You women are difficult beings. I don’t know what you want. You go on and on about gender equality, but if a guy fails to open the door for you, you shoot him the dirtiest glare you can muster!”

 

I suppose he’s right in a way. I admit that I’ve expected the same out of guy too. But still, I need to validate my point here. I don’t think the guy should always pay!  But I can’t seem to think of a suitable counter argument.

 

“That’s just one example!” I counter. That’s my go-to line of reasoning when I can’t seem to think of anything else. Always works, by the way.

 

“Oh, then what do you have to say about men occupying seats in public transport? If you women really want gender equality, you shouldn’t expect men to give up their seats for you. I’d count the elderly and pregnant women as an exception.”

 

Okay, I don’t know how to reason that. I feel rather dumb. Guess that explains why I never got picked for the debate team in school.  But I can’t possibly let him win this argument; I’m quite steadfast that way. He’d certainly gloat in triumph if I give in.

 

“You can’t generalize your views just because of a few women who happen to feel that way!” I say. To be honest, I did curse at a guy that day in the subway for not budging from his seat, but Yixing doesn’t need to know that.

 

“So, you wouldn’t expect any special treatment from men?” He raises one of his eyebrows; his lips are stretched in a teasing smile. Does he think I’m some damsel in distress waiting for her hero to come rescue her? No, I am not! Well, it was part of my delusional fantasies sometime ago, but I’m going to admit that to him. Who doesn’t like being treated like a princess? Anyway, I’ve decided I’m going to change from now on. I’m going to be independent, and I won’t expect any kind of special treatment from anyone, not even my boyfriend. Okay, no, boyfriends should pamper you. That is a rule!

 

“Absolutely not,” I utter confidently. Now that I think of it, I really appreciate a guy who holds the door open, but again, Yixing doesn’t need to know that. I should make an attempt to let go of my expectations. These romance novels have ruined me too much.

 

“So we’re going to take turns in paying?” He looks amused.

 

“Yes!” I grin. I’d like to consider this as winning the argument. 

 

“Alright then,” he concedes. He stuffs his wallet back in his pocket while I retrieve mine. This is just a step forward to this new person I’m going to become. I won’t be weak-minded like I used to be in my relationship with Chanyeol. I’d voice out my opinions instead of keeping them to myself. Wow, I feel really motivated. I should jot down these lines and probably incorporate it in one of my Webtoons. I could make Webtoons with inspirational messages. And I can reform the world. Okay, no…that’s going a bit too far. I should just stick to taking care of my own life for now.

 

“What do you want to do next?” I ask him after I’ve paid. The restaurant had doors that opened automatically so there was no question about who holds the door open and stuff. See? This could solve all issues! Just install doors that open automatically whenever you can, there’d be no more arguments.

 

“What do you have in mind?” he questions instead.

 

“I don’t know. Could we watch a movie?” I really want to watch the new animated movie that’s come out. But since Yixing already agreed to try out my fries and coke combination, I wouldn’t force with to come along if he isn’t interested. I can’t torture the poor guy more. I truly doubt if his back’s fine. The ice rink isn’t exactly that cushiony and I’m not exactly that light.

 

I glance at him anticipatorily. I’m hoping he’d agree. I really wanted to watch that movie. But, of late, I haven’t had any company. All my friends are back in the city and my parents are on some post-divorce celebratory trips. So that leaves me with Bona and…Chanyeol – not the first choice for watching a movie with, at the moment. I’m glad I bumped into Yixing the other day. It’s as if he arrived at the right moment to cure my boredom and my new-found solitude.

 

“Sure…as long as it isn’t some ridiculous horror film with some unnecessarily shrill background scores!” Yixing says, clutching on to my hand. I suppose we’re already quite comfortable with the whole hand-holding thing. I would have normally expected my palms to get clammy from nervousness, but that hasn’t happened. It so

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter