tick, tock

when my world no longer stops for you

-tick, tock-

Let's not make any promises, you never know when tomorrow comes

 

 

 

After the concert, Jimin's life kind of speeds up, and Jungkook fades out of his concern. The pressure of A-levels is real now, grades start to have an actual significance for the first time in years since PSLE. Him and Yoongi hyung have also more or less passed most of the Photogs work to their juniors, under the excuse of "seeing who's suitable to take up an exco role", so they have their hands largely free.

Jimin starts to spend a significantly larger portion of his time studying, and the results are showing. What his friends call a Math miracle is surfacing on him, with his grades improving at an exponential rate. His Y5 midterm scored him an 8%, his Y5 finals a 30%, and now the Y6 midterms proved his suffering worth with a 51%, and this is the first time he's passed any major Math exams in his entire Senior High life.

Honestly, Jimin probably owes his entire report card's improvement to Yoongi hyung. His tutor, mentor, and study buddy. They've been studying a lot together, especially since their literature teachers opened up Hou De Xuan (厚德轩), the CSP room, exclusively for the literature students to study at.

 

That's how Jimin finds himself developing an unexpected friendship with the other regulars over countless nights of studying together, with the 9pm KTVs and random food excursions to Geylang for durian and Sweechoon. The closing hours of Hou De Xuan gets pushed back day by day, until Ms Hong finally gives up on them and allowed them a spare key to save herself from grey hairs.

Three months passed, and Hou De Xuan feels more and more like a second home to them. The have their own designated tables and the room is basically divided territory between the common study groups (Jimin with Yoongi hyung, Chanyeol with Baekhyun and Mark, Jongin with his girlfriend Dara, Sehun with Sunggyu and Luhan with Jongdae). They move around when they're restless or when discussing questions, and gather around the central table when Ms Hong or Mr Lu comes down for consultation. They mingle together for dinner, and eventually lunch and breakfast as well, when lessons slowly disappear from their schedule all together to allow for self-study.

With the countless 0800-2200 days spent there, Hou De Xuan becomes one of the most special place in the school for Jimin, second after the dance studio. That, and all the new friends that he never quite imagined talking to, friends who've made studying almost tolerable.

 

It is a little awkward at times, because Suzy is a regular at Hou De Xuan too. Her, and Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo, who's grown immensely close with Jimin, until he decided that he doesn't want to be platonic anymore. Taken aback and unsure of how to react, Jimin can only tell him to wait until A-levels is over before he can give him an answer.

 

Things have changed subtly between them since the confession. Initially it was sweet, with Kyungsoo doing a lot of nice things for him and Jimin allowing himself to rely more on Kyungsoo. But Jimin has been careful, he makes sure that everything that Kyungsoo's been doing for him are things that he could do for himself.

Everyone around them believes that they are dating, their teachers included, but Jimin knows. That he's kept that clear line between them, so that Kyungsoo will never become a second Jungkook and repeat a similar tragedy.

 

But soon enough Jimin finds himself increasingly terrified of Kyungsoo's over-attachment and outbursts of jealousy. After the third time he'd joined Jimin for lunch no matter who else was at the table, Jimin starts to realise that things are taking a very wrong turn. Because no matter how close they were previously, they've always respected each other's personal space with their own friends. A line that Kyungsoo's been crossing. A line that Jimin and Jungkook had crossed far too many times that it had isolated them from the world for months, and eventually led to everything falling apart.

Finally, on the last day of prelims, when Jimin realises that Kyungsoo plans to stalk him on his lunch date with Taehyung, Jimin freaks out, and has the worse panic attack as he locks himself in the toilet and calls Taehyung. 20 minutes later, Taehyung cabbed over to fetch him to a different place they'd arranged to meet at, heard the full story, and seriously told Jimin that he needs to start distancing himself from Kyungsoo, immediately.

That's how Jimin eventually spends the remaining weeks dodging Kyungsoo around school, summoning his friends into being his human shield when they have to be in the same room. Kyungsoo finally seems to get the idea, and although he doesn't seem to like it, he finally backs off a little, and one day, he stops coming to Hou De Xuan all together.

 

Amidst the momentary relief, Jimin can't help but wonder if this was how Jungkook felt when his insecurity was driving him to the points of being clingy, trying to hold Jungkook back from advancing to a new stage of his life.

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

Jimin hasn't seen much of Jungkook until the much belated handover session organised by the Photogs juniors. They have their momentary catch up of grades, tuition and dance. Jungkook is making a visible effort to appear close, and Jimin recognises the pattern of where they'd go down with the jabs and joking insults. He entertains him with mild responses, despite knowing his exact next line, but no longer gives the exaggerated, provoked reactions that he knew Jungkook wanted. Because he simply doesn't gain amusement from those conversations anymore.

 

After the cliché speeches and brisk handover (it's honestly just formalities, the elected exco has been taking charge since July), someone suggested playing the werewolf game.

Yoongi hyung volunteered to be the narrator, and after the first night, he announched that "a good, innocent citizen, Park Jimin, has been killed," upon which Jimin turned immediately to look straight at Jungkook.

"I know who you are," he says calmly when Yoongi hyung asks him to give his 'last words', not looking away from Jungkook, and not surprised when he sees the challenging glint in Jungkook's eyes. "But I won't say anything because that will ruin the game."

Jungkook had looked almost disappointed.

(A long time later, when they brought this topic up, Jungkook asked why Jimin didn't try to reveal his werewolf identity. "I would have countered and said that you have no proof, and you're probably-" "just pointing you out because we've always went at it like cats and dogs, or I even may be one of the werewolves trying to confuse the situation," Jimin cuts him off easily, finishing the last bit of his cake primly. "I know, Jeon. There's not much reason for a bunch of people who barely know about us to believe me if I pointed you out. Plus, there's no need to spoil the game.")

 

"Who do you think it is?" Yoongi hyung asks him quietly as they sat out of the heated discussion on who to vote out this round.

Jimin writes down Jungkook's initials on Yoongi hyung's palm. "Him, I'm sure. The other two are probably both juniors, if they listened so easily to him, maybe Hongki, he's been twitching for a while. Or it may even be another Year 6 like Zico, I'm not too sure. He was from dance, and people from dance listens to Jungkook a lot."

Yoongi hyung gives him a strange look and told him he's right about two names, and Jimin only smiles serenely.

 

As the game proceeds, Jimin watches Jungkook cover up his trail almost exactly the same way he has predicted. And he did eventually became the last werewolf to remain in the game.

It was kind of funny, because wow, I still sort of know you like the back of my hand sometimes.

 

It was nice to know though.

That amidst this chaos, there's still this little bit of us that's left.

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

Graduation came too fast. They were given a sappy speech by their principal, followed by their discipline master, and finally their level head. They took the classic "throw-your-ties-in-the-air" graduation photo, sang their level song before they were dismissed.

Then everyone swarmed out of the auditorium, stole balloons, and started to take pictures with every single friend they knew, basking in the moment and wanting to capture every corner of this school they've spent 6 years in together, and trying to talk with every friend, old or new, that they've made in this long journey.

Jimin was no exception. After taking numerous selfies with Bambam, he hunts for Yoongi hyung and all the other study buddies of Hou De Xuan. When Kyungsoo approached him uncertainly, Jimin takes the initiative to hug him when the photo was snapped, feeling Kyungsoo tense up for a second before relaxing. He pocketed the polaroid of them smiling contentedly, and was dragged off by Jongdae before Kyungsoo could speak to him. "After A-levels," Jimin promised to himself. "After A-levels, I'll give you the explanation and apology I owe you, Soo."

 

He was just done taking a polaroid with Yixing when he sees Jungkook walking through the crowd towards him. This time round, there's no more "let's wait for Hoseok to take the polaroid", no more "wanna join my friends" or "let me tell you what's up in my life without you". They enjoyed each other's company for the time being, knowing everything is on a single-digit countdown.

They took tons of selfies together, and even more when they ran into Namjoon and Minseok. Eventually, when the crowd is clearing, Jimin spotted Hoseok beside Mark and dragged him over, announcing that they need a zhidao* picture.

(*A/N: zhidao is chinese for 'student instructor')

 

It's still one of his most treasured photos taken that day. Because despite whatever that has happened, Jimin really wouldn't have survived Junior High without them.

 

 

"We took photos, hugged, and exchanged good wishes, like idk the last time we were this nice to each other is probably SYF," Jimin writes on neko language later. "You apologised for not wishing me on my birthday, said you didn't see me around (I snorted, because we shared at least two lectures that day, you ), and that you're writing me a card (I snorted twice in a row, almost choked and died in a very dishonourable manner). I didn't bother to take that seriously, but then again, I'm a chronic liar."

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

Throwing whatever graduation feels aside, everyone was soon back to intense revision, stepping up on the effort and concentration because they're so tight on time now. Math formulas, geography case studies, lengthy literature analysis and complex market failure graphs are all that Jimin could process on the daily basis. No one has time for drama anymore, not even Kyungsoo.

 

Days passed by, eventless. One paper after another. Tensed muscles and abandoned pens.

And then it's over.

The most important examination, a fight on pen and paper, the A-levels that will determine which university they would attend. Over. Written, submitted, sealed and shipped to the U.K. for marking.

 

Years later, when Jimin looks back to think of those days, he remembers nothing of what he's actually studied, those formulas and theories. Instead, he remembers the barley and chrysanthemum tea he bought from the drink stall every day, the layout of Hou De Xuan, the corners of the library that they've conquered, the meal-collection squad, and many more. The bunch of kindest, warmest, and purest friends.

Because it was never about what you study. It's how you studied, and who you studied with.

And Jimin couldn't have asked for a better place to spend his 6 years in. From twelve to eighteen, from barely understanding what friendship is, to graduating with healthy morals, values, and tight bonds with the peers that have joined him along the journey.

 

Jimin was never one to believe in the "a good school can change your life" sayings, but on the last day he stepped out of the school gate and looked back at the familiar buildings, he realised how true that is. Because enrolling into Bangtan High School is his single best decision in life, and he'll forever be proud of once being a student there. It gave him protection and patience, taught him values in the most subtle way, and offered him companions to walk the even longer path ahead.

 

 

 

[···]

 

 

 

Jimin's days in Singapore goes on a countdown, seeing that he's scheduled for a flight back to China exactly 5 days after his last paper. He saved the first day to himself only, a day of sleeping in and catching up on his precious shows, then started to go out with different friends everyday afterwards.

He does, however, set aside his last day. For Kyungsoo, and the explanation that he deserves.

 

Jimin hasn't seen Kyungsoo for a really long time. They've stopped talking since October, and stuck to their own friends for the whole while. Jimin was surprised that Kyungsoo actually texted first, knowing how hard it is for him to initiate a conversation after getting the cold shoulder repeatedly over the past month.

They agreed on watching a movie, alternatively a form of socialising without having to actually converse, but Jimin had turned down the idea of lunch because he was uncertain if he could face Kyungsoo so easily.

He had meant to give Kyungsoo a verbal explanation after the movie ended, but just as he tries to go on, Kyungsoo gives him a look - troubled, pained, fearful, hoping, desperate, longing, torn, regretful. And Jimin simply couldn't bring himself to say a word more.

 

They bought bubble tea, and paid for their own orders. When Jimin struggled with the straw, Kyungsoo's hand reached out to help, but flinched back when Jimin gently shook his head. They waited for the bus in silence, boarded, and spent most of the journey just looking at the scenery that they've seen too many times. Kyungsoo stares hard at the number plate of the bus, and Jimin wonders if this was one of the bus they've taken together in the past, knowing how Kyungsoo has an amazing memory for things like this.

 

"When's your flight?" Kyungsoo finally asks, when they were almost approaching Jimin's stop.

"Tonight," Jimin answers quietly, not just the given question, but also the unspoken one. "I probably won't be back until the results are released."

"Oh."

Jimin wasn't expecting the conversation to go anywhere after that, but Kyungsoo continues after a short pause. "I was going to write you a letter, but I keep thinking that if I do, it will be the last time I'll see you."

"Kyungsoo-"

"We're here," Kyungsoo says, cutting Jimin off effectively, and Jimin has no choice but to alight. Kyungsoo followed after him.

 

"You wanna check when's your bus coming?" Jimin asks quietly, standing face to face with his friend. Kyungsoo hesitates a little, fiddling with his phone as another bus pulls up to the stop. They both pretend to not know that it goes to Kyungsoo's house as Jimin waits for an answer.

"I think I just missed my bus," Kyungsoo eventually says, pocketing his phone even though Jimin clearly sees that he hasn't even opened the app.

"It's okay, I can wait with you," Jimin offers.

"You don't have to," Kyungsoo says, turning away to start walking. "I'll walk you home."

Jimin bites on his lips, not sure if he should follow, or refuse.

Kyungsoo halts. With his back turned to Jimin, he murmurs, "Let me do it, please. It'll be the last time."

"Okay," Jimin breathes, and walks up to join his friend. He doesn't complain as they took the longest route, rounded the same playground thrice before they're finally standing below Jimin's block.

 

"Thanks for coming out today," Kyungsoo says, finally looking Jimin in the eye. 

"Nah, I had fun," Jimin says immediately. "The movie was nicer than I expected since everyone says that Hunger Games is overrated."

"I can send you the ebook, if you want," Kyungsoo offers.

"That will be nice, I'm still kind of confused over the plot since I didn't watch Part 1."

"It isn't as bad as other people say it is, you'll know after you read it."

"I will," Jimin says quietly. "I guess I'll see you in March?"

"Yeah, March," Kyungsoo smiles, although it didn't quite reach his eyes. "I'll see you then. Bye."

 

Jimin steps into the lift, and waves a little as the doors closed.

"Thanks for everything, Soo."

 

 

At 11pm, after being nagged by his mother to try and grab some sleep before their 4am flight, Jimin finally sends out the email.

The long- 7k, essay-worthy email that took him two months to write and edit.

A belated explanation, apology, and every single thing that he needs Kyungsoo to know.

 

His phone lights up with a WeChat message at 2am, but he would never know what Kyungsoo has written because the message was recalled* by the time Jimin was woken up by his mom.

(*A/N: wechat has a function that allows for the sender to recall a message, so if the recipient didn't read the message before it was recalled, then he'll only get a notification reading "XXX recalled a message")

His alarm didn't have the chance to sound, and Jimin deletes it all together.

Because 'Let's Not Fall in Love' doesn't make a good alarm.

 

 

 

-TBC-

 

 

Naggy author time as usual. Wow this update is like only 3k im amazed. This was supposed to contain a lot more Jimin x Jungkook stuff, but I sidetracked by writing a lot on graduation, Hou De Xuan and Kyungsoo, so I decided to move the remaining content I planned to a separate chapter.

If you need the back information of the academic stuff here… PSLE is the national exam that you take in your last year in elementary/primary school, it decides your secondary school. Most students will end up taking the O-levels in their 4th/ last year of secondary school, then choose to go poly or Junior College (JC). After two years of JC, they take the A-levels which will decide the college/university they go to. Basically it is a system that doesn’t quite allow for slacking. Jimin's in the Integrated Program, so he doesn’t need to take O-levels, hence academics is not a huge priority to him and he can slack until A-levels (which is tbh, a risky thing, I won't really recommend haha). The subjects he took are H2 Geog, H2 Math, H2 CLL and H1 Econs.

Okay so if you got the 诚·信·勇·忠 yes hi, hi fellow alumni/junior. Like honestly I'm a year 2 student at my uni now, but I still have the deepest emotions for my secondary school, it gave me too many things and I've transformed the most there as a person. I miss the canteen food, the friendly teachers, and Hou De Xuan. Writing this was such a #tbt thing? So many hilarious stuff happened at Hou De Xuan and our night study sessions that always end up all over the place. Anyway, I'll forever be attached to my old school man HAHA I'm the most law abiding person ever whenever I wear my old school tees and go out, don’t even dare to jaywalk or whatever.

And Kyungsoo… well yeah honestly a lot of stuff happened between us (not as much content to write something like When My World No Longer Stops For You, but at least 1/4 of that). He's a friend that dominated a majority of my Senior High life, but I never allowed him to have dominating significance in my life since I was too afraid it will turn out like another Jungkook. We both had many issues and it is really, really complicated so I didn’t cover a lot of aspects to it (I didn't actually planned for this part to be even included, but it just kind of happened haha), so I'm sorry if it comes across as unclear and confusing. Feel free to ask me questions if you're curious though.

Oh yeah, the opening line is from the lyrics of 'Let's Not Fall in Love' by Big Bang if you didn't know (click the link, it’s a good song). The song was literally released one day after Kyungsoo had confessed, and it is really fitting for what happened between Jimin and Kyungsoo, from both POVs, but more so from Jimin's.

And a quick spoiler for the next chapter to come, 'Inception' (it was initially the title of this chapter, but it ended up focusing on the story with Kyungsoo so it wasn’t suitable anymore so I moved it to the next chapter). It will reveal why Jimin eventually decided to pen down this story. As the title suggest, a dream played a huge role. We're actually not left with much chapters, so you'll get to see how Jimin and Jungkook will eventually turn out soon.

 

Until next time!