Final

Grow Up Dr. Jinki!

The children’s ward is covered in pastel colors and happy sunshine but it was the most depressing ward out of all the wards in the hospital. Nurse Kim Junghee knew how hard it was to watch over the small children and be brave to tell them that they will be okay despite the pain they are feeling. She smiles warmly at them and tells them happy thoughts, and in a way, it eases the pain temporarily.

 

“Nurse Kim.” A mother approached her and handed her a sandwich. “Eunho wanted me to give this to you, he said that you gave him a sandwich before.” She said and the nurse thanked her politely and accepted the offered sandwich.

 

“You are too nice Junghee, you should go out and start a family instead of being cooped up in here.” Gwiboon, a fellow nurse, said and she just smiled.

 

“I took an oath Gwi.” Junghee replied and sat on her chair to sort out the charts before the resident doctors took rounds.

 

“I’m telling you noona, hyung is a perfect catch!” They heard the enthusiastic voice of the so=called-spoiled rotten doctor, Dr. Lee Jinki.

 

“I know, didn’t I say Yes already?” Dr. Song Hyekyo, a known Doctor for her regular spot at a morning show and the renowned doctor for VIP patients at Haesong Hospital, replied.

 

“I can’t wait for the wedding.” Dr. Jinki replied making Hyekyo chuckle. “here’s my ward, bye noona!” Dr. Jinki said and waved at the senior doctor before walking to the nurses’ station to retrieve the charts. “Anything off?” He asked the two nurses who shook their head. “Very well, thank you.” He waved and walked casually like he was walking on rainbows.

 

“I hate him.” Junghee remarked bitterly.

 

“Why? He’s so cute!” Gwiboon asked next to her.

 

‘He’s so pretentious and he doesn’t care about his patients ever.” Junghee said and took the other charts to check the medication schedule.

 

“He’s not bad, maybe a bit spoiled but it’s typical since he’s born with a silver spoon in his mouth.” Gwiboon said, dreamy eyes followed the young doctor.

 

“He’s rich, I’ll give him that but he’s not a real doctor.” Junghee said with conviction and stomped away to retrieve the prescription drugs from the pharmacy.

 

---

 

Dr. Jinki looks at the chart and smiled at the boy on the bed. “You are improving. The x-ray revealed good healing so we’ll need two more weeks before you can start physical therapy.” He said and the boy smiled at him.

 

‘I can dance after?” He asked and Dr. Jinki nodded.

 

“Can you dance for me after then?” Dr. Jinki asked and the boy nodded. “Mrs. Kang, I have a friend who is a licensed Physical Therapist, I am sure that he can help Eunho back n his tracks.” Dr. Jinki said and Mrs. Kang thanked her.

 

 

---

 

“Do you have the CT-scan of Song minhyuk? “ Dr. jinki asked junghee who retrieved the file and handed it to the doctor with a puff of her cheeks. “is it a bad day?” He innocently asked and the nurse refused to answer. “I’m sorry.” He bowed then took the CT-scan then walked towards his office.

 

Just then they heard squeals and a ridiculous handsome guy was walking towards them. “jinki?” The guy asked and Dr. Jinki smiled wide and hugged the guy.

 

“joongki hyung! You’re back!” the doctor was ecstatic and he immediately pulled the guy towards the East wing where the VIP suites were located.

 

‘Ah, such lucky doctor, parents are rich and has a hot brother.” Gwiboon swooned next to Junghee.

 

“brother?” Asked and Gwiboon nodded. “How can Korea’s most popular soldier be related to a clutz of a doctor?” Junghee asked and Gwiboon shook her head.

 

‘I don’t have any idea, they are just related.” Gwiboon answered.

 

---

 

“So, how did you propose?” Jinki asked the soldier who just grinned at him.

 

“Took her out on the beach and may have bribed a few of the locals and my team to have it arranged.” Joongki replied, taking out his cellphone to show his younger brother the pictures of the proposal.

 

“You are such a charmer hyung.” Jinki replied as he browsed through the photos.


“Yah, you are too, you are just not using it to your advantage.” Joongki replied and Jinki sighed.

 

“I’m trying okay.”Jinki replied and Joongki took the time to ruffle the doctor’s hair.

 

“Try harder.” Joongki said and Jinki pouted at his brother.

 

“Oh, you came back already?” Dr. Hyekyo was surprised when she stepped out of a VIP suite and saw the brothers standing by the hallway.

 

“I missed you.” Joongki said, enveloping the doctor into a tight embrace and placing a kiss on her forehead.

 

Dr. Hyekyo smiled as she indulged in the warmth of her fiancé, wrapping her arms around his frame and nuzzling her face on the crook of his neck. “I missed you too.” She choked as her tears started falling, it should have been a happy moment but the relief that she felt seeing him again is just overwhelming; it is a consequence she had prepared herself mentally because loving a soldier means facing death far more than you could wish for.

 

They heard Jinki cough and they broke apart, only for Joongki to hold her hand tightly and kissing it. “You two are super sweet. I better go back now, I have to check a patient.” The young doctor waved at them and walked happily back to his office.

 

He walked passed the nurses station and Gwiboon handed him an envelope from a mother of his previous patient. “Mrs. Park left these, it’s tickets for Luna’s recital.” She informed the doctor who nodded.

 

“Ah, she recovered well hasn’t she? Thank you Gwiboon.” He said and took the envelope. “Two tickets?” He asked and Gwiboon nodded.

 

“She said to take your girlfriend with you.” Gwiboon said and Jinki laughed.

 

“Like I have one.” He replied.

 

“Then why not ask Junghee out, you seem to like her.” She asked and the doctor became flustered.

 

“Am I obvious?” He asked and Gwiboon laughed loudly.

 

“More than obvious.” She replied and Jinki smiled.

 

“Maybe I’ll try to ask her out.” He said and waved at Gwiboon.

 

But he never got a chance to ask her out. He stood by the hallway near the nurses station and gripped the tickets tightly. He knew Junghee never liked him but this was another level. He took heavy steps towards his office and sat on his chair with a heavy sigh took out his phone to call someone.

 

Luna was his patient a few months before. The little eight year old had acquired a throat infection and they had to remove her polyps. She was an aspiring singer and hearing that made her mother fear for her future. But luna was brave and after surgery and rehabilitation, here she is on stage for her recital. Jinki was proud of her, she was brave and sweet and her voice is angelic. He was grateful that the kid never gave up on her dream and her voice is a true gift meant to be shared.

 

“She’s really good.” Hyekyo commented and jinki is beaming with pride like a father.

 

“She’s the best.” Jinki replied and Hyekyo smiled at her future brother-in-law.

 

“Dr. Lee!” Mrs. Park greeted the doctor and Jinki bowed at her and patted Luna’s head.

 

“You were wonderful Luna-ssi. Your voice sounded so good!” He praised the girl who thanked her doctor.

 

“Is she your girlfriend doc?” She asked and Jinki looked at Dr, Hyekyo and laughed.

 

“She’s my sister-in-law, Dr. Hyekyo. She’s pretty right?” Jinki said and Luna nodded.

 

“You are very pretty Dr, Hyekyo.” Luna greeted and the doctor blushed.

 

“You too! You are very pretty with a voice of an angel.” She said and the girl smiled wide.

 

“Thank you for watching my Luna’s recital, it means so much to her.” Mrs. Park said and they bid goodbye.

 

“Yah! Dr. Lee Jinki!” Hyekyo flicked his forehead and the doctor rubbed the sore part. “You could’ve asked Junghee.” She said and Jinki sighed.

 

“I would’ve but she hates me.” Jinki replied and Hyekyo could feel the heartache from the doctor.

 

“I’m sorry.” She said and pulled Jinki to a nearby stall for a round of soju and samgyupsal.

 

----

 

“Why am I here again?” Jinki asked as he browsed through dresses that all looked the same.

 

“The groom can’t see the bride wear her gown before the wedding, it is bad luck.” Hyekyo answered and Jinki sighed.

 

“Fine, but don’t you have a bridesmaid or something?” He asked and Hyekyo shook her head.

 

“We just have you.” She said and pulled a puffy dress out of a rack.

 

“You will look like a tiered cake noona.” Jinki said and the doctor puffed her cheeks. “You are going to be married on Incheon in front of a naval fleet so I would suggest you wear something that would be easy for you to wear, you do know that those soldiers have their way of greeting newlyweds.” Jinki reminded her and she had a light bulb moment.

 

“this one!” She said and Jinki grinned while nodding.

 

----

 

“You look exhausted Dr. Jinki.” Gwiboon remarked as she handed the charts and Jinki sighed.

 

“I had to help noona find her wedding dress, I didn’t know it was exhausting.” He said and looked at the chart.  “This is not good, why isn’t Chihan’s blood count going up? Ring up the med tech for me.” He instructed and Gwiboon called the laboratory. Jinki talked to the med. Tech and sighed.

 

“Don’t give him aspirin and boost up his Vitamin C.” Dr. Jinki instructed as he wrote Dengue fever on the prognosis and walked towards the ward.

 

“Ah, such a cutie.” Gwiboon swooned.

 

“Ah, so while my back is turned you flirt with my best friend?” Gwiboon turned to look at Dr. Woohyun, A resident Physical therapist.

 

“No silly, can’t I admire your best friend? And he’s not my type, I like lean guys.” She winked at the doctor who laughed.

 

“Why do I love you so much huh?” He winked and took the chart of Eunho for his physical therapy sessions.

 

“You are not even hiding how flirtatious you are.” Taemin remarked, woohyun’s assistant nurse.

 

“Say it to my face if you’re not flirting openly with Dr. Minjung.” Gwiboon replied and hit the male nurse with her chart.

 

“Will you two grow up?” Junghee said as she placed her charts on the table to grab the medications.

 

“Nam Chihan’s medication changed.” Gwiboon said and Junghee checked the charts and sighed.

 

“Why only now?” She asked irritatedly.

 

“Med. Tech’s fault, didn’t give prognosis on the lab results. Dr. Jinki was quick enough to evaluate it though.” Gwiboon said but Junghee just puffed her cheeks.

 

“Brat.” She huffed as she took the aspirin bottle and walked towards the pharmacy to have it changed.

 

“What’s her problem?” Taemin asked and Gwiboon sighed.

 

“I have no idea.’ Gwiboon replied and returned to her work while Taemin ran after his doctor to get Eunho for his session.

 

---

 

“You look dashing.” Jinki said as he looked at the brother fixing his suit.

 

“I know, but you can’t be too sure right?” Joongki grinned at his brother.

 

“Yeah, be glad that you both got your mother’s charms.” Dr. Lee Junho said as he entered the suite. Jinki bowed at the Dr. and Joongki saluted. “Why are you both acting like strangers? You both are my sons.” He extended an arm and both of them walked to gave their father a big hug. “I’m sure Junyoung would’ve have been glad to watch his son’s wedding.” He uttered and Joongki smiled and patted the doctor’s shoulder.

 

“I’m sure he’s proud like you Appa.” He replied and the doctor’s face smiled despite having tears lingered on the side of his wrinkled eyes.

 

“I thought that mothers were supposed to cry on weddings and not the fathers?” Dr. Lee Minha said as she approached her son and chuckled. “You two are sappy and soldiers aren’t supposed to be this weak right?” She asked her eldest son who laughed then nodded.

 

Joongki then went on his knees and gave his respect to his parents. “I may never say this enough but I am grateful to be your son.” He said and then stood up only to be hugged by his mother.

 

“Jinki, you should find a girl to marry soon, I need you out of my house soon.” Dr. Lee joked and all four of them laughed heartily.

 

The wedding was beautiful as the couple were truly in love with each other. Although the path to this day wasn’t perfect and almost bitter, at the end of the day, they found comfort in each other’s arms. Hyekyo accepted her fate as a soldier’s wife, of facing death in more ways than one and Joongki swore his loyalty to his wife, second to his country and believes in her to save him no matter what. Two people with different ideologies and principles, one who follows rules and the other who gives out orders, but in heart, they believe in one thing, they love each other.

 

“Such beautiful wedding isn’t it?” Gwiboon asked but Junghee just shrugged her shoulders.

 

“Ladies and Gentlemen, a toast from the groom’s father.” The MC announced and Dr. Lee stood while the guests applauded.

 

“Good evening everyone. You may wonder why my son and I have different surnames, and I would explain it briefly.” He said and everyone went silent as the projector lit and a picture of a soldier and a doctor appeared. “A man with great heart and loyalty to his country, Luitenant Song Junyoung is a man of honor, and my best friend. During the civil war, a war we all would want to forget, many men died for their country and Lt. Song was one of them.” He paused and looked at the picture of the soldier. “He had left a legacy and a fiancé who was devastated. Before he went to war, he said to me, Junho, if ever something happened to me, take care of Minha and our son.” Junho paused as he regained his composure.

 

“I said I won’t do that because he’s going to go back safe and sound but the last words he said to me was that his son should be named Joongki.” He paused and looked at his wife then to his son. “I married Minha to save her from disgrace and to give her a sheltered life and when her first son was born, we named him as Junyoung had said and made him carry his father’s name.” Junho paused and smiled at Joongki.

 

“I know it was hard on you, to live with two fathers but I saw how you grew up to be a fine young man, a soldier to this country and now a husband to your wife. I am sure that Junyoung is looking down on you right now with a smile on his face; a proud father to his brilliant son. I only wish that you shall love your wife like I and Junyoung had done so with your mother, and that Hyekyo could bring forth children that we surely would adore.” He finished and everyone erupted in applause and cheers.

 

“I thought mothers are the emotional ones.” Hyekyo joked as Joongki wiped a tear off of her face.

 

“Guess my family’s just not traditional.” Joongki replied and they smiled at each other.

 

“The groom’s brother will give a toast.” The MC then said.

 

“Well you know, we are a weird bunch, anyway hyung, I know that you are happy right now because Hyekyo noona is a fine catch but Noona should remember that my brother is really handsome not to grab.” He said and everyone laughed. “I envy you hyung, you have good looks, great body and now a very pretty wife.” He continued and more laughter erupted. “Make each other happy, because you deserve it after such long journey of hide and seek. By the way, since you already found your nightingale, can you find a pretty lady soldier for me to marry?” He finished and everyone cheered. Jinki then returned to his seat and sighed, he also wants a love story like his brother.

 

“Junghee!” Jinki called and the nurse turned to see the doctor approach her. “Do you need a ride home?” he offered but the nurse frowned and ignored him. “You could say no.” He muttered then turned to leave.

 

“Hey, he was being kind.” Gwiboon nudged Junghee.

 

“He’s being a show off.” Junghee replied and Gwiboon sighed.

 

----

 

“Why can’t you leave me alone?” Junghee shouted and Jinki stood frozen and gaping.

 

“I’m sorry.” Jinki said and turned to walk away.

 

“That’s a bit harsh.” Taemin said as he got a cup of coffee.

 

“he’s irritating.” Junghee shouted and Taemin raised his hands in surrender.

 

Dr. Jinki ran to his room and locked it. He can’t helped but feel hurt as daggers pierced his heart and left him to bleed. He knew she disliked him but this is not what he expected. He shed tears and he felt weak and useless, what is he but a false doctor who cannot even face such heart ache.

 

There was a knock on the door and Jinki opened it to reveal Hyekyo with a folder. She handed it to Jinki who read it with swollen eyes. “Must be hard huh?” She asked and fresh tears fell from Jinki’s eyes.

 

“You’re…. You’re…” Jinki just sobbed as he wrapped his sister-n-law in a tight hug.

 

“yes Jinki, You’ll be an uncle soon so be a man and help me with this pregnancy while your brother is out there protecting this country.” Hyekyo said with a smile and Jinki nodded.

 

---

 

Jinki walked to the nurses’ station and asked for the charts when he saw Junghee. He bowed and took the charts then walked away, greeting Gwiboon who was on her way from the laboratories.

 

“Did you do something Junghee?” Gwiboon asked and the nurse shook her head. “that’s weird, he seemed devastated.” Gwiboon shrugged her shoulders and checked on the medication.

 

Jinki looked at the charts and frowned. But he looked neutral as faced the mother. “He’s not doing well, I am afraid that he needs a stronger antibiotic or his pneumonia could progress to his brain and form an abscess.” He said and the mother quickly went emotional. “Double the dosage and administer every 6 hours.” He said to the nurse next to him and then bowed to the mother before walking away.

 

 

“What is your problem?” Junghee asked as they left the room.

 

“I don’t know what you are talking about.” Jinki replied.

 

“You just scared Mrs. Jang! Why would you say that?” She asked back.

 

“You want me to lie?” Jinki asked and sighed. “I told her the truth and you lash out on me? Seriously? You call me a fake doctor for being a brat and now that I tell a patient a truth, you are still mad at me?” Jinki said and then turned away. “Don’t worry, you won’t see me ever again anyway.” He said then walked away.

 

Junghee was dumbfounded but stomped back to her station.

 

“Can you hand me the charts?” a new face asked and Junghee handed her the charts. “I’m Dr. Kim Gyusook, I will be in charge of the pedia ward.” She greeted and then turned to the male nurse behind her. “Myungsoo, please check on patients 4 and 8, they needed immediate attention.” Gyusook instructed and the male nurse nodded and went on his way.

 

“Excuse me, but patients 4 and 8 were diagnosed with simple ailments.” Junghee stated.

 

“yes, but based on their lab results, they had contracted quite a difficult strain and Dr. Jinki noted this in his evaluation. He told me to check on them before they could progress; given those patients have weaker immune system than the others.” She explained and then went on her way. “By the way nurse Junghee, you should know your place as a nurse. It is wrong to judge a doctor on how they treat a patient; each has their own style.” She said then walked to the wards.

 

“she said what?” Junghee was furious.

 

“She said the truth. Just because Dr. Jinki likes you doesn’t mean he can tolerate each and every harsh word you threw at him.” Gwiboon said and went to her rounds.

 

----

 

“You are not due until 2 more years.” Joongki greeted his brother inside the medical unit.

 

“I figured it’s about time, you need to introduce me to pretty soldiers.” Jinki replied and joongki laughed at him.

 

“And here I was thinking someone will look after my pregnant wife.” Joongki remarked.

 

“Mom’s being a stage mother anyway.” Jinki replied and they both laughed.

 

“Listen Jinki, I know what you are doing but I do hope that you will face this problem like a true soldier.” Joongki said and then hugged his brother.

 

----

 

An earthquake had hit Jeju island and had cause massive destruction on the island. Reports are flowing and there have been cases of missing people and casualties. THe government has already dispatched the rescue units to aide the people of Jeju Island.

 

 

Hyekyo bit her lip as she touched her growing belly. She knew what this meant, her husband is going on a rescue mission and it is inevitable. She knew that Joongki will lead a team of brave soldiers and at this time, she wanted to be there and help.

 

“You’re 6 months pregnant sweetie, please rest and we’ll make it out alive.” Joongki said as he visited her before being dispatched. “Besides, Jinki will take care of me.” He said and gave her a kiss on the lips before kissing her belly. “I will be back safely so wait for me Kwangmin and Youngmin.” He said and bid them goodbye.

 

Joongki looked brave as he led the team to the rescue mission. Jinki looked equally as brave as he strapped himself with his medical gear and followed the head of the medical team. It was chaotic with debris falling and people screaming but in these kinds of situation, the rescue team needs cool heads and focused brains.

 

They went to fallen building, Jeju’s premium hotel and helped the local rescue team and Red Cross. They pulled out survivors and the medics were on standby to treat every injured civilian that they saw. It was hard work but with each body recovered with potential of being saved, each medic did what they could to treat them well.

 

Jinki was becoming dizzy with such casualties that surrounded him but he had to be a doctor. He took his kit and ran to a pair of soldiers who was bringing in an injured boy. He looked at the boy and then talked to the soldiers. “I need to treat him quickly, please place him by the tent.” He said and the soldiers nodded and then took the boy to the tent. Jinki quickly checked his vitals and inserted an IV on his arm. He then took antiseptic and cleaned the area where a cut was on the boy’s leg was found. He then anesthetized the area and began stitching the wound.

 

“You will be okay buddy.” He said and then washed his hands before he walked towards the other injured people.

 

By the end of the day, he was exhausted but felt like he had done something good.

 

“hey Jinki.” Joongki handed his brother a cup of coffee.

 

“Hey hyung.” Jinki thanked his brother.

 

“It’s been a long day, you can rest for a while.” Joongki said but Jinki shook his head.

 

“There are still a lot to do.” Jinki replied and joongki sighed.

 

By the second day of the operation, more Red Cross volunteers came to aide the rescue operation. Jinki bowed to the new medical team. “Dr. Jinki?” Gwiboon asked and Jinki nodded.

 

“neh, how have you been?” He greeted back.

 

“Fine, but you just disappeared from us.” Gwiboon said and Jinki sighed.

 

“I joined the army for my mandatory service.” He explained. “We need to get going.” Jinki said and walked towards theare where more survivor were being pulled out of the rubbles.

 

Gwiboon received her instructions and kit and went along her way, tugging along fellow Red Cross volunteer Junghee who never greeted the doctor. “Don’t you think Dr. Jinki has become hotter and handsome now?” Gwiboon asked as she bandaged a broken wrist of a civilian.

 

“He’s not.” Junghee replied as she too cleaned a wound from a little girl.

 

“Because you are not looking at him long enough to notice how manly he had become.” Gwiboon remarked, smiling to the boy that she had helped.

 

Hours passed and the rescue mission came to a halt as an aftershock was recorded. Jinki looked at the building before him and shouted, his brother was inside it. He shouted more as he approached the rubbles but a group of soldiers stopped him.

 

“Sir, we must not add casualties.” The soldier said and Jinki took a deep breath.

 

“Fine but work fast.” He stomped away and took in a fallen soldier and checked his leg. He retrieved some bandages and injected anaesthetic before he twisted it back to position.

 

“Don’t stop, we must secure the place.”Jinki ordered and soon took another soldier and helped him towards the medic tent for his shoulder to be treated.

 

Hours passed more and the more survivors were being rescued from the rubbles. Jinki looked on and saw them pull his brother out. He ran towards the men and ordered them to lay him on a cot. He checked his brother’s vitals and shook his head.

 

“Prepare for an emergency operation.” He ordered and looked at Gwiboon. “Get as many antiseptic that you can and sterile sheets, we need to do it here.” He said and Gwiboon nodded.

 

“You can’t. This is not a sterile room and we cannot operate on him. He will likely get an infection and..” Junghee confronted the doctor.

 

“Know your place Miss. This is my brother you are talking about and the nearest hospital is 4 hours away. I can operate on him and I will. I am the doctor here and your opinion does not count. I make the decision and you follow.” He said harshly and turned to the nurses and other doctors to prepare for surgery.

 

There were broken ribs and one pierced through his lungs. They needed to remove it and stop the internal bleeding as well as remove his appendix that was hit by a steel bar. Yes it was not a sterile place but he has to do something to save his brother. He made the cut after anaesthesia and   quickly removed the rib, stitching the lung to prevent bleeding and then moved to the appendix and quickly did an appendectomy. Junghee watched as the doctor proceeded with the operation and was shaking her head. She knew the consequences of the impromptu operation that’s why she voiced her opinion but she never expected the way she was told off; she was taken off guard as how Jinki looked at her like a stranger.

 

Joongki was transferred to a hospital once he was stitched up and Jinki sighed as he watched the ambulance speed off along with the other high risk patients that they were treating. He then called Hyekyo.

 

“Noona?” He said and the girl was already sobbing. “hyung’s gonna be fine, I operated on him. It may take a longer recovery but he’ll make it.” He informed her and he heard sobbing and some words that sounded like thank you’s. “Rest well Noona.” He said and then hanged up.

 

“You must be tired.” Junghee approached the doctor and handed him a cup of hot cocoa.

 

“Rest well.” Jinki said, turning his back on her and walking towards the tent to grab his kit and attend to the new batch of survivors that were rescued.

 

“Tsk, sad that now you are the one trying to grab his attention.” Gwiboon clicked her tongue and walked towards the survivors to check their vitals.

 

Junghee sighed and looked at the cup, she’s getting irritated at the situation.

 

“Are you ignoring me?” Junghee asked as she took out an anticeptic from her it and handed it to Jinki,

 

“I am not.” Jinki replied and finished his work on the survivor before zipping his kit and walking to another.

 

“BP 60/120, we need IV drip now. Shock may occur due to dehydration, we need glucose dosage as well.” Jinki announced and Junghee quickly worked the IV drip and attached it to the victim’s hand. Jinki took out the glucose shot and injected it to the victim before moving to another victim.

 

“Yes you are.” Junghee insisted and Jinki had had enough of it.

 

“Why can’t you leave me alone?” Jinki shouted and Junghee froze, the power of those words were just as fierce as a gunshot straight to the heart. Is this how Jinki felt when she told him off?”

 

Jinki walked away and out of Junghee’s sight when Gwiboon approached her. “Must hurt.” She said and pulled the friend towards the tent to rest.

 

---

 

“You looked tired.” Joongki remarked to his brother, a week after the incident.

 

“Shut up, you almost caused me my medical license.” Jinki replied as he sulked.

 

“You did the right thing Jinki and I am proud of you. You’ve become a soldier and a doctor at the same time.” Joongki said and Jinki sighed even more.

 

 

“But not brave enough to face my problems.” Jinki replied.

 

“There’s a time for everything. Hyekyo’s worried about you.” Joongki said and Jinki raised a brow. “She knew how hard working you are Jinki; to people you looked like a brat but only a few people know how much of a hard worker you are and your dedication to save lives is overwhelming.” Joongki said.

 

“Yeah, must have gotten it from dad.” Jinki replied and Joongki laughed, then coughed. “Yah, your lungs are still healing, give it a rest.” Jinki warned him and Joongki nodded.

 

“Thank you for saving my life Jinki, you truly are a doctor.” Joonki said and Jinki laughed.

 

“I am still a brat you know.” Jinki replied but Joongki smiled at him.

 

“I wouldn’t want to change a thing.” Joongki replied and Jinki gave him a bright smile,

 

 

---

 

“How was Jinki?” Hyekyo asked as Gwiboon and Junghee returned from their volunteer work.

 

“He’s a real man now. He’s so gorgeous I think I am drooling.” Gwiboon replied and Hyekyo chuckled.

 

“He’s been that way, I just wonder why people never saw him as one.” Hyekyo shook her head and then walked towards the OB gyne ward for her check up.

 

“Dr. Song.” Junghee called out.

 

“Yeah?” Hyekyo turned to the nurse.

 

“What made you love Lt. Song?” She asked and Dr. Hyekyo smiled at her.

 

 

“He is the epitome of a soldier with killer looks and even killer pick up lines. But if you look past that, he has a genuine heart and he truly loves me.” She said. “Looks can deceive but the heart doesn’t. Joongki is a man made to protect this country but beneath the war paint that he wears, is a man who had truly loved me and pursued me.” She finished and then went her way.

 

“Looks can deceive but the heart doesn’t?” she repeated and sighed as she heard her heart beat loudly like a mantra. “I am so doomed.” She resigned and sat on her chair, face lying flat on the cool marble of the nurses’ station.

 

“Would you like a doctor to treat you Miss?” A voice asked and her eyes went wide as saucers.

 

‘Dr. Jinki?” She asked and she heard a laugh.

 

“I’m just dropping by, Oh, Dr. Gyusook!” He waved as the doctor approached them.

 

“it’s been a while Jinki. You look good, I must say that the military has been doing you good service.” Gyusook remarked and Jinki beamed her a smile.

 

“I miss you too.” Jinki replied and Gyusook chuckled and told him to go to her office.

 

Junghee felt hurt because that smile was bright nad she remembered it clearly but was never given to her. She felt jealous and that is something she wanted to deny but it is evident. Was it too late?

 

 

Emergency Personnel required at the rooftop for a VIP client. Dr. Song HyeKyo, please be on standby

 

The prompter announced and Junghee wondered who their VIP client was. Gwiboon sat next to her and sighed. “Do you know who the VIP patient is?” Junghee asked.

 

“Yeah, Taemin’s got wind from Dr. Minjung that it’s Lt. Song Joongki. Gosh he is so handsome.” Gwiboon exasperated.

 

“And you are Dating Dr. Woohyun last time I checked.” Junghee said and Gwiboon beamed her a smile.

 

“Yeah, he’s such a cutie.” Gwiboon said and went to her task at hand.

 

They looked at Dr. Gyusook and Dr. Jinki walked to the elevators and Gwiboon sighed. “They look close.” Gwiboon remarked.

 

“Yeah, did you know that they  were lab partners in first year biology.” The girls squealed in surprise as they look at the grinning male nurse.

 

“Myungsoo!” Junghee warned.

 

“They are bringing Lt. Song to a VIP ward, his parents demanded it and are going to pay for his bills, must be nice to have such financial security.” Myungsoo pondered and the two nurses noddedi n agreement.

 

“Yeah, must be nice.” Gwiboon replied.

---

 

Jinki and Gyusook were walking towards the VIp ward when they met Dr. Hyekyo who went out of a room. They greeted her and She smiled and invited them to Joongki’s room.

 

“I’m sure you detested VIP treatment but this is not taxpayer’s money, I am waving my professional fees on this.” Hyekyo said as she greeted her husband.

 

“I wasn’t complaining.” Joongki raised his hands.

 

“Hyung, you do need to get checked, You can contract infections you know.” Jinki said and then introduced Gyusook.“ remember my lab partner?” He asked and Joongki grinned.

 

“How could I not? You call her hamster and she call you rabbit!” He remarked and Gyusook laughed softly.

 

“It’s very nice to meet you again Lt. Song.” Gyusook said and Joongki frowned.

 

“You used to call me Bunny-oppa?” Joongki teased and Gyusook laughed.

 

“neh, bunny oppa.” She repeated and they all laughed.

 

---

 

There was a loud slap on the counter and the two nurses looked at a grinning Myungsoo. “Wedding invitation,” He said and then walked away pretty fast.

 

“From whom?” Gwiboon asked and Myungsoo smirked.

 

“Dr. Gyusook.”  He said and the two nurses nodded.

 

“oh.” Gwiboon said and looked at Junghee who was pissed off.

 

“I am not attending” Junghee said then walked away from the station.

 

A month later they were seated on plush chairs witnessing the wedding of Dr. Kim Gyusook and nurse Kim Myungsoo. Gwiboon was grinning at her friend who was pouting.

 

“it’s a good thing that Dr Jinki is still available on the market.” Gwiboon nudged and Junghee glared at her.

 

“Dr. Lee Jinki, the bride’s friend will now do a toast.

 

“There’s a saying, Always the bridesmaid never the bride? It seems a bit true to bestman as well, I never get to be a groom.” Jinki started and everyone laughed. “Gyusook-ssi, my hamster friend. Remember the promise we made when we became lab partners?” he asked and the doctor nodded. “We shall strive not to be the best but we’ll do our absolute best to protect what’s dear to us.” He said and Gyusook nodded and smiled at him. “I’m glad that you found someone dear to protect and I am sure Myungsoo can do the same to you.” He said and ended his speech to laud cheers and applauses.

 

Jinki then sat on a chair along with his brother and his wife who each has a baby cradled on their arms. “You know, it’s not too late to pursue happiness.: Joongki said and Jinki smiled at him weakly.

 

“I have a year more to finish my enlistment.” Jinki replied and soon after they all smiled while Myungsoo serenaded his wife.

 

 

--

 

“He’s returning to our ward.” Gwiboon informed Junghee and she nodded while jotting down notes from the resident doctor. “aren’t you happy?” She asked and Junghee sighed as she set down her pen.

 

“I just don’t have time.” Junghee replied and turned to get the prescriptions for her patients.

 

“I just don’t get you” Gwiboon shrugged and returned to her work.

 

“Miss me?” They heard a voice and saw a smiling doctor.

 

“Dr. jinki!” Gwiboon shrieked making Jinki laugh.

 

“Yeah, I’m back on duty. Gyusook needs to go on maternity leave soon.” He said and the nurses nodded. “Kindly hand the charts  to my office.” He instructed and then went on his way towing a suitcase behind him.

 

“He’s gone really handsome.” Gwiboon said then handed the charts to Junghee. “I have to get off early so see yah!” Gwiboon waved then ran towards the other hall.

 

Junghee sighed but collected the charts and walked towards the doctor’s office when Dr. Hyekyo stopped her.

 

“Is Dr. Jinki here already?” She asked, pushing a stroller.

 

“Yes, he just checked in.” Junghee replied.

 

“I have an emergency operation for a VIP patient so can you help me leave my twins to him?” She asked and Junghee smiled and nodded.

 

“Please attend to your business, I’ll send the twins to Dr. Jinki.” Junghee replied.

 

“Thank you very much.” She said and went to kiss her sons before walking towards the OR.

 

Junghee smiled at the twins before she ushered them tot eh Doctor’s office. She knocked twice and then opened the door slightly. Doctor Jinki was on the phone and Junghee could manage to hear out blind dates. She knocked again when he was finished with the call and Dr. Jinki smiled seeing her push the twin strollers. He took the stroller from her and told her to place the charts on his table as he took one of the twins out of thee stroller.

 

“Noona is such a busy doctor and hyung is nowhere to be found. If you don’t have Jinki smachon who will take care of you huh?” He nuzzled his nose on the elder twin, Youngmin, and the boy chuckled.

 

The younger started to cry to get his attention but with Youngmin already in his arms, he cannot carry the other boy. Junghee took the boy out of the stroller and cooed at him.

 

“You don’t have to do that.” Jinki said by Junghee shook her head.

 

“I’m off in a couple of hours so I can handle babysitting” She said then took out a toy from the stroller.

 

“Thank you.” Jinki said and placed Youngmin on the couch and put some toys in front of him. “Can you hand me a chart to review?” Jinki asked and Junghee handed him one while she took care of Kwangmin.

 

 

A few hours later, Hyekyo went to the office to fetch her sons when she smiled seeing the two babysitters work while shuffling to take care of the kids. “did they bother you too much?” the doctor asked and Jinki shook his head.

 

“Nurse Junghee helped out a lot.” Jinki explained.

 

“Thank you so much for helping out Nurse Junghee.” Hyekyo said and the nurse dismissed it as part of her job. “See you around soon.” Hyekyo said and then waved before pushing her twins out of the office.

 

Jinki sighed in relief and thanked the nurse. “Your shift ended already. Thank you for helping out.” He said and Junghee felt her cheeks warm up as she bowed and then walked out of the office.

 

She needs to get her act together.

 

“A blind date?” Gyusook asked as they walked towards the nurses’ station.

 

“Yeah, mom’s dead crazy with the wedding thing.” Jinki sighed. “She already sent me ten files. Ten!” Jinki was exaggerating his expressions and made the pregnant doctor laugh.

 

“That’s a little too much I agree.” Gyusook replied.

 

“Your charts.” Myungsoo said as he handed the charts to the doctors.

 

“How many did you receive Myungsoo?” Jinki asked and he blinked before realizing the question.

 

“My mom started giving me files after college but I told her that I like a certain noona.” He winked at Gyusook who blushed. “Took me a few years but hey, my mom was pleased with my choice.” He said and Gyusook smacked the nurse’s arm lightly.

 

“I wish I could do the same.” Jinki said, reading the chart of his patient. “Junghee, why is Jun’s infection level not going down?” He asked and Junghee looked at the chart.

 

“I already called the med tech assigned and he said he’ll look into it.” Junghee replied.

 

“Check the strain again, we maybe dealing with an antibiotic resistant strain.” Jinki said and handed the chart back to Junghee.

 

“I’ll check on it.” The nurse said and walked towards the labs.

 

“You still like her.” Gyusook teased and Jinki sighed

 

“Stop teasing me, I am trying.” Jinki replied.

 

---

 

“Madame Lee, a certain Kim Junghee requests your presence.” The house maid said and Dr.  Minha nodded and went out of her room to meet Junghee.

 

Junghee was wearing a summer dress and her hair was tied in a half pony tail with a soft bow that matched her dress. She bowed and offered her gift and a folder which surprised the retired doctor.

 

“Ms. Junghee, what is this about.”  DR. Minha asked and Junghee bowed her head.

 

“I would like to ask for an opportunity to be considered as one of the candidates for your son’s prospect wife.” She said formally and Mrs. Lee chuckled.

 

“My, Jinki never told me about you” Minha uttered.

 

“I’m home.” They heard the voice of the young doctor and Junghee’s eyes widen as it locked with the doctor.

 

“You never told me you had a beautiful nurse on your department.” Minha said and Jinki looked at his mother.

 

“I never did because I am sure no one liked me.” Jinki said and Minha laughed.

 

“Stay for dinner, Joongki and Hyekyo will be coming over.” She invited the nurse who looked at Jinki.

 

“please stay.” Jinki said and Junghee nodded.

 

Jinki then walked to his room to change out of his antiseptic laden clothes and into something presentable. He met Junghee who was still sitting in the living room and approached her.

 

“If this is a joke then spare me.” Jinki said and Junghee smiled a bit.

 

“It’s not. I made a mistake.” Junghee replied. “I mistook your personality.” Junghee confessed.

 

“Ah, what do you want, money? Fame?” Jinki asked through gritted teeth.

 

Junghee shook her head. “I do not intend to marry you for money or for fame. I really like you Dr. Jinki.” Junghee replied.

 

“Really? I heard the opposite.” Jinki said and walked towards the dining room where his mother was overseeing the dinner preparation.

 

Dinner was a bit awkward but Hyekyo and Joongki tried their best to relieve the tension. “They worked well together.” Hyekyo said and Joongki raised a brow.

 

“Oh, that one time.” Joongki said and hyekyo nodded.

 

“They took care of the twins and it’s a remarkable sight.” Hyekyo explained and the old couple smiled lovingly.

 

“Interesting.” Dr. Lee replied.

 

---

 

“I’ll drive you home.” Jinki said and Junghee remained quiet as she followed the doctor to his career.

 

The silence that enveloped them during the drive was thick and heavy. Junghee wringed her fingers and bit her lip when Jinki stepped on the gas and took the car near the Han river. He then stepped out of the car and kicked at the stones he could see. Junghee followed and walked to his side.

 

“I’m really sorry.” Junghee said in a soft voice.

 

“I just on’t understand Junghee. You pushed me away and said you hated me.” Jinki said. “And now you want to marry me?” He asked and Junghee nodded.

 

“I had a misconception, I never look beyond what people branded you. I hated you because I can’t accept the fact that you are brilliant even if you are born rich and has everything.” She tried to explain as she felt tears fall down her cheeks. “I never saw the hard work you put into your work and the passion to save lives.” She said. “I’m sorry tha I let m jealousy clouded my decisions, and hid what I really felt for you.” Junghee said and the tears were just flowing freely.

 

“You what?” Jinki asked but Junghee was tearful  to answer. “you hated me Junghee, pushed me away! When I lost Haru that day, I overheard you saying that you hated me.” Jinki explained. “I felt devastated and I almost hit rock bottom Junghee.” Jinki explained and Junghee went to her knees and cried even more.

 

“I’m sorry.” She shouted, heartfelt and Jinki went down on his knees as well as he cupped Junghee’s face and wiped her tears

 

“I don’t understand you Junghee. Help me understand you.” Jinki asked and Junghee took a leap of faith and leaned in to kiss the doctor in the lips.

 

Jinki’s eyes widened as he felt the warmth on his lips, the wetness on his cheeks and fluttering of his heart. He closed his eyes as he drew the nurse toward him and deepened the kiss that they are sharing. It was blissful moment, one for the books, you may call it that way.

 

“I love you. I denied it long enough.” Junghee finally said as she found her voice and Jinki was crying as he heard those words from her.

 

“You are the death off me Junghee” Jinki laughed and Junghee buried her face on his strong chest and cried even more.

 

----

 

Junghee was nervous as she stepped inside the Lee’s mansion as she held Jinki’s hand. “Relax.” Jinki whispered and she took a deep breath.

 

Mrs. Lee looked surprised when she looked at her son with Junghee by her side. “oh, am I missing anything?” She asked and Jinki nodded.

 

“You can throw away those folders and keep just one.” Jinki replied and Mrs. Lee smiled.

 

“Ah, I guess Nurse Kim has now a face.” Mrs. Lee teased and Jinki nodded.

 

“I’m Kim Junghee, please give me your blessing.” She said and Mrs. Lee walked towards her and wrapped her in a warm hug.

 

----

 

“You don’t want to be preganant.” Gwiboon yapped as she massaged her aching back.

 

“But Jinki loves children.” Junghee argued.

 

“You’re saying that because you haven’t experienced it. Look at this belly! It’s as big as a watermelon!” Gwiboon nagged and Junghee laughed.

 

“I’m sure you had fun making baby Sungjungie.’ Junghee winked.

 

“Oh yeah, it was a good memory.” Gwiboon grinned.

 

“Where is Youngmin and Kwangmin’s records?” Jinki asked and Junghee handed him the charts. “Oh that ring looks good on you.” Jinki winked and Junghee chuckled. “When are you due Gwi?” Jinki asked.

 

“a month, give or take.” The nurse replied.

 

“I see, you can schedule the wedding after. I’m sure you would want your best friend in great shape on the wedding photos.” Jinki said and left the two to review his nephew’s medical records for their annual check up.

 

“So, what made you take back all your words?” Gwiboon asked and Junghee sighed.

 

“I though I was looking at a brat but Dr. Jinki grew up right in front of my eyes.” Junghee replied and took out the charts to hand over to her fiancé in the next hour.

 

----

 

“Are you okay?” Joongki asked and Jinki went into a panic attack. “hey, I am not a doctor you stay still or I’ll call emergency!” Joongki shouted and Hyekyo walked inside with the twins now almost 5 years old.

 

“Hey jinki, why are you a wreck?” She asked and Joongki sighed.

 

“Wedding jitters.” Joongki said and Hyekyo  smiled at the doctor who was trying to control his breathing.

 

“I can’t believe I’m doing this. Am I even worthy for her? Have I even grown up enough to marry her?” Jinki asked and the two adults laughed at him.

 

“I assure you, she would not marry you if you’re still a brat.” Joongki said and Jinki pouted.

 

“That’s assuring.” Jinki said and they all laughed.

 

“So I am going to finally kick you out of my house.” Dr. lee Junho said as he walked into the room with his wife.

 

“You’re gonna miss this brat.” Jinki remarked and more laughter erupted.

 

“I will accept you back if you give me grandchildren.” Mrs. Lee said and Jinki grinned at that.

 

“Sure, how many do you want?” Jinki asked and Mrs. Lee turned to Hyekyo.

 

“Beat your brother’s brood.” Mrs. Lee replied.

 

“Two? Sure.” Jinki replied.

 

“Uhm about that.” Joongki interrupted.

 

“We are expecting.” Hyekyo supplied and the Lee’s were surprised but then congratulated them.

 

----

 

“Jinki, I will keep this short, I need grandchildren.” His father said and everyone cheered.

 

Jinki leaned at Junghee and whispered. “We need to give them at least three grandchildren. Noona is expecting again.” Junghee was shocked but smiled at him.

 

“I’m sure I can give you those.” Junghee replied and Jinki smiled at her.

 

After the party died down and Jinki and Junghee retreated to their hotel room, Jinki took his bride to the balcony and placed his arms around her waist and swayed their bodies under the shining stars. They were smiling at each other and savoring the moment that they are sharing together.

 

“Thank you Junghee.” Jinki said and Junghee leaned in to kiss him.

 

“Thank you Jinki.” She replied and rested her head on his shoulder. “For growing up and for loving me.” Junghee added and a smile spread on Jinki’s face.

 

“I did it for you.” Jinki replied and took Junghee to the bed to share the night as one.

 

 

 

-------

 

 

a/n: This is a monstrous story with 8k words… yikes. That was hard work but now that this is out of my system, I could update my other works.