A Dilemma Of Tasty Proportions

MEOWch

sooo...long time no see again...good news though!!!!IVE FINISHED MY ESSAY!!!!then theres the bad news...ive got yet another essay assigned just today...though its due in january its a toughie...whod have thought theory of knowledge would be hard????sooo...updates wise im going to try to finish this by thanksgiving so in about a month...ive got 7 chapters planned before i finish so fingers crossed i can reach my goal!!!!anyways...i had a lot of fun writing this chapter cuz of the research i had to do!!!!as my title would hint at i had some tough times decided on certain things...also...doesnt jaejoong just look gorgeous with glasses on????couldnt find a pic of him and cake so next best thing!!!!yay!!!!anyways...enjoy reading!!!!

Jaejoong decided to cancel house hunting the next day and rather, for the first time, actively helped you with the planning.

“Hey Jae, why don’t we go cake testing today then?”

You had actually scheduled an appointment for the week after, but seeing as how it was already hard enough coordinating with Jaejoong, you were hoping that the bakery wouldn’t mind bumping it up.

“Hmm, sure…” He was flipping through the book with all your finalized plans. “You’ve done so much already…What’s left anyway?”

You tick off the remaining things you had to do. “Order the cake, have my 2nd and last fitting, finalize the menus, order the decorations, book appointments…I think that’s it.”

Jaejoong stared at you in amazement while you called the bakery. Thankfully they were able to squeeze you in and you two got dressed in a hurry. The bakery wasn’t too far off either, just about a 10 minute drive. When you reached, you stood staring at the window display for awhile. On display were 5 different cakes, one a wedding while the others were for other nondescript events, and alongside were a variety of cupcakes and cookies and other baked goods. When you finally stepped in, your nose was assaulted with the aroma of freshly baked goods and most of all, chocolate.

“Waah, I’m in heaven!”, you sigh out.

Shaking his head, Jaejoong took your hand and walked to the counter where a lady was waiting to take you to a room in the back of the shop. She left you there for a minute while she went to go get the chief baker.

“We should decide a couple of things right now don’t you think?” Jaejoong asked.

Your mind was currently otherwise occupied with trying to figure out how much you could bring home with you without gaining weight or breaking out. I do still want to fit into my wedding dress of course, and I’m sure there’s never been a bride who looked attractive with acne…so that leaves me with what? A cake and a couple cookies? Hmm…I guess that’s not too bad…but now comes the difficult part, choosing them! I should have never come here!

“Sweetheart, are you listening to me?”, Jaejoong gave your hand a little squeeze and jolted you back to reality and out of your thoughts.

“Hmm, sorry? I was thinking about something else…”

“Like what you were going to bring home with you today?” You blushed at how easily Jaejoong had read your thoughts while he grinned back mischievously.

Clearing your throat a little, you said, “We should narrow down the flavours we want and what type of decoration too.” Jaejoong gave you a small smile and a knowing look. “Oh, uh…that’s what you were asking me weren’t you?”, you give a sheepish laugh before continuing, “Since our centerpieces are sprigs of cherry blossoms, I think we should continue that theme with the cake. What do you think?”

Pursing his lips, Jaejoong nodded. “I think that would be good, continuity. So, flavours, are we thinking chocolate then?”

You gave him a bright smile and nodded eagerly. “I was thinking the same too! It doesn’t have to be all chocolate but a little bit wouldn’t hurt right?”

At that moment the owner of the bakery came in, in her hands a bunch of binders stuffed with papers. You had talked to her a couple of times already, but had never mentioned who your fiancé was, and the surprise was evident as she stopped short.

“Hi Mrs. Park, we talked before remember?” You and Jaejoong both stood up to greet her. “This is my fiancé, Kim Jaejoong.”

Jaejoong bowed again and as she tried to return the greeting, she got tongue tied and instead bowed deeply, a blush on her face. Jaejoong sat down again smiling slightly while you sat shocked at seeing first hand the effect he had on people. Was I like that?

“I’m a huge fan of yours!” She exclaimed quickly before gathering her composure and returning to her professional self. “So when we talked earlier, Ms. Lee specified that she would like to have a chocolate cake so I’ve prepared a list of flavours including chocolate.” Jaejoong raised an eyebrow at you while she turned to take out a sheet from the uppermost binder and you gave him a sheepish smile in return. “Here you go, if you would look through that and pick the ones that you like best I’ll see if we have a sample for you to try. If not, we’ll call you in for a tasting another day.”

You and Jaejoong poured over the list and 3 immediately caught your eye. There was a cinnamon spiced cake, espresso filling and orange zest filling along with the necessary chocolate component. Hmm, buttermilk cake and espresso filling along with chocolate ganache? It seems quite ordinary and do I really want coffee in my cake?

“Okay, I’ve narrowed down my choices to two!”

“I’ve already made my choice.”

Shocked, you stare at Jaejoong. “Really? Out of all of those you’ve already chosen one?”

Smiling, Jaejoong replied, “I’m not like you dear, I do know how to make up my mind.”

You lowered your eyes in acknowledgement. Seems like today I’m to be embarrassed out of my mind…

“Well, I think the dark chocolate cake with the orange zest in the dark chocolate ganache sounds divine and with the vanilla buttercream some of that richness will be balanced out. Then there’s the chocolate spiced cinnamon cake…though it’s got ordinary type fillings, chocolate ganache and milk chocolate buttercream, the spice seems interesting. I’ve never really had chocolate and cinnamon together before so it seems new.”

“Okay then, since I want the cinnamon one and you don’t seem averse to it, that’s what we’ll decide on.”

“But the orange…”, you started to protest, but Jaejoong cut you off.

“No buts, if we start then we’ll be here for days! Let’s just go with what first stood out to us.”

Nodding, you agreed. That’s true, I mean I don’t think my gut is going to tell me to go for something disgusting. Plus, cinnamon!

“…You don’t want to try samples?”, Mrs. Park asked hesitantly.

“Oh, do you have a sample of the cinnamon cake?” At her nod, you say, “Then could you please bring it for us? We might as well try it if you have it then make our final decision.”

“It’s only going to be the cake since the customer who has ordered it wanted different fillings.”, she warned.

“That’s fine with us, it’s more the cake that I’m worried about.”

She left the room and came back within a minute with a plate in hand and two small forks. Placing it on the table in front of the two of you, you take small bites out of the cake. Oh…my…god…this is like heaven in my mouth! I want more…

“Do you like it?” Seeing as how you were too busy finishing of the rest of the cake, Jaejoong answered for you, “The cinnamon cake it will be please.”

Smiling, Mrs. Park began to fill out the order form. “Good choice, though it’s not popular everyone who orders it is always satisfied. Now if we may begin to talk about the decorations?”

You hurriedly swallow the last bite. “Our centerpieces are going to be cherry blossoms so we were hoping that you could incorporate them into the design.”

Silent, Mrs. Park began to rifle through her various binders, placing most to the side and flipping through the remaining two. Turning them around, she showed you the different designs that she was capable of creating. “These are the flower designs I’m capable of reproducing. The blue binder holds designs for 4-6 tier cakes and the red one is for 3 or less. The red one also holds designs for cakes with their tiers separated rather than stacked.”

You turn to Jaejoong. “Let’s go with 3 or less? We aren’t inviting that many people over…I think our guest list is like 50-75 people. Would 3 tiers be enough then?”

“That depends on how big the tiers of the cake are, though I do believe that you will be able to serve that many people within 3.”

You and Jaejoong flip through the books and most of the designs were tossed out by you since, though they did have flowers, they weren’t cherry blossoms. Feeling discouraged as you were nearing the end, you stumble across a gorgeous design. It was quite simple, there was a lot of white but the pink of the blossoms were so vibrant that they caught your eye. It reminded you of springtime when the cherry blossoms would fall. There was like one branch of the blossoms and scattered around the cake were separated blossoms. The elegance of the cake stood out and you immediately knew that that was the one you wanted.

“This is the one.”, you whisper.

With that, you were finished with your appointment, flavour and design all done in the 2 and a half hours that your appointment had spanned.

“So if you will just call to tell us the date of the wedding we’ll plan according to that then okay?” Mrs. Park shook both your hands to seal the deal.

Suddenly it occurred to you that you had yet to tell her that the wedding was in Jeju and not in Seoul. “Our wedding is actually going to be held on Jeju…will you still be able to make it?”

“Oh, that’s not a problem, we have ways of transporting cakes, though this will add to the cost. We’ll have to send someone along with the cake to make sure that nothing happens to it and if by chance something does happen, they’ll be able to fix it. Now along with the date, please do send us the time.”
“Thank you so much for your help!”

You walk out happily, glad that yet another thing could be crossed off your list and that you had managed to accomplish it so easily.

You were out of the bakery and halfway to the car before Jaejoong stopped you. “What about that cake you had wanted?”

You stopped, and thought for a bit before continuing on. “It’s alright. I think I can pass this time! Better stay out of temptations reach I think and now I can look toward my wedding cake with even more anticipation! By then I won’t have to worry about fitting into my dress too!”

please comment and let me know what you guys thought!!!!thank you!!!!