A Free Day for KaiSoo

A Day in the Windy City

 

Tomorrow they'd be playing their first concert in Chicago but today they all had some free time to explore the windy city to their hearts content.

 

With barely contained excitement, Jongin shifted from foot to foot while watching the elevator doors open and close while he waited for a certain someone. He glanced again at his watch, a small frown on his slightly pouting lips, transforming into a bright smile when he felt a tap on his shoulder.

 

“You made it! I thought maybe you'd changed your mind or something!” Jongin stopped himself before he scooped the shorter boy up in his arms with his joy at the others arrival. “Are you ready? I have everything planned.”

 

The almost childlike joy that Jongin was displaying brought a seemingly reluctant smile to the heart shaped lips of the shorter boy. Kyungsoo was just as excited for their day together, but he wasn't willing to share that with the ever present eyes of their fans. “I was going over some last minute checks with Junmyeon at the venue. It's much smaller than what we're used to playing. It will be more of an intimate club feel, I think.”

 

Jongin hummed in agreement.

 

Both boys were dressed in black dress slacks and crisply pressed button down shirts. Jongin’s shirt was a cream color while Kyungsoo’s was a pristine white and slightly oversized (maybe it was one of Jongin’s). Jongin had chosen to go with a jacket and narrow tie (cause he wanted to look sharp for his date), but Kyungsoo had forgone the more formal look due to the unseasonably warm temperature, leaving the top two buttons of his shirt undone.

 

“What big plans to do you have for us today?” Kyungsoo asked knowing full well that Jongin wouldn't tell him.

 

“Not tellin’! I want you to be surprised!” Jongin declared as he placed his hand against Kyungsoo’s lower back to guide him to the nearest exit. Just outside the building, the pair had to pause when they were nearly knocked over by a gust of wind. “Sehun must be upset today.” Jongin joked as he tucked Kyungsoo closer to his side.

 

Jongin felt more than saw the nod Kyungsoo responded with as he was nestled as far under Jongin’s jacket as he could get in an attempt to avoid the blowing bits of debris. “Junmyeon was going to take Sehun to the hospital if he wasn't feeling better.”

 

Jongin hummed in acknowledgement, not risking opening his mouth and getting another taste of the city. They hit Chicago’s hot spots together, stopping in at a cozy pub for lunch and the Ghirardelli store for dessert.

 

They ended their night on the town with a leisurely horse drawn carriage ride. Jongin helped Kyungsoo into the carriage and tucked a tartan blanket around his boyfriend's legs. Kyungsoo smiled indulgently all through the pampering. Not being one to go in search of special treatment, Kyungsoo knew Jongin loved to spoil him so he tolerated the added warmth from the blanket on top of the already toasty temperature. When Jongin brought out a thermos of hot chocolate, Kyungsoo had no trouble guessing where this was leading. The clunk when something solid transferred from the thermos to a mug almost made Kyungsoo burst out laughing, however he was able to hold it in solely to spare Jongin’s feelings.

 

The mood became more serious when Jongin shifted in his seat so he could more easily meet Kyungsoo’s gaze and asked. “Did you know same- marriage is legal in the United States now?” Kyungsoo knew what was coming next and he also knew what the response he would be making. “Would you do me the honor of agreeing to marry me?” Jongin queried as he held Kyungsoo’s right hand between both of his own.

 

Kyungsoo used his free hand to cup Jongin’s cheek, hoping his touch would help ease the hurt his answer was bound to cause. “It's still not legal or accepted in our country though. Nor would we be sure how our fans would feel. It's not just about us or what we want. We need to consider how it would effect everyone else. Don't get me wrong I love you more than anything or anyone else in the world, and I'm not saying ‘no’ just more like ‘not right now’. He responded softly not releasing his boyfriend's gaze.

 

Jongin closed his eyes briefly and drew in a deep breath, holding it before slowly exhaling. His eyes reflected his pain before he could hide it. “I love you to the moon & back and I hope you know I won't stop asking until you say ‘yes’” Jongin joked with a half hearted smile.

 

“I wouldn't have it any other way!” Kyungsoo closed the distance and as he did, he kissed Jongin with all the love in his heart that they were rarely able to show.

 

-----------

 

What was everyone else doing while KaiSoo was off having their “together time” you may be wondering?

 

Well, Junmyeon did have to take Sehun to visit the hospital and when Luhan called, he said that he would get on the first flight to America if Sehun needed him. “It was because you ate all of those Canadian cookies by yourself, wasn't it?” Luhan guessed still not judging his boyfriend's choices.

 

In between his pacing and fretting about Sehun’s health care, Junmyeon found a quiet corner to Skype his boyfriend.

 

“Kris is here. He slept in the chair all night in case I needed him, but the doctors say I'm doing better. I just miss your kisses.” Yixing said with a cute pout. “Oh, and Luhan keeps calling me like every hour. He said I should use my healing magic to get better faster.” Yixing chuckled at the latter part, knowing how much his friend used humor to mask his concern.

 

“We'll be back soon, baby, and then I can take my rightful place as your primary caregiver.” Junmyeon promised.

 

Meanwhile back at the hotel, Baekhyun was catching up on some much needed sleep while Chanyeol was dragging manager hyung around to buy treats for his sweetie. He bought Chicago style pizza, some Garrett's popcorn and of course a tiara crown for his Princess.

 

And what were ChenMin doing with their free time? Well, they never left their room and were reprimanded by the management for ‘noise disturbances’. You can use your imagination to fill in the rest.

 

-----------------------------

 

A/N This was just a work of my romantic imagination and inspired by my first EXO concert and visit to Chicago. Yes, the parts in the story where Sehun had to go to the Hospital (he didn't share why), Baekhyun said he slept all day and Chanyeol visited the Disney store all true. As I was driving around the city, I saw a saw a horse drawn carriage, it seemed to me, to be something Jongin would think was romantic and that became inspiration for this story. I hope you liked it!! Don't be shy, I love to read your comments and upvotes are alway appreciated.  :)