Final

60초

I sometimes walk and stop
I look around and our eyes meet
I quickly turn my head away
I look at my toes and
Then slowly look up



The sun was brightly shining on this spring Thursday. The air was warm, and the Earth was giving off good vibes to everyone. Trees were green, flowers were blossoming, and everyone was out and about, doing their usual springtime routine.


One young man in particular was off to do his favorite activity: photography.


He walked down the bright path of cement, black professional camera slung around his neck and resting against the black leather of his jacket. His dark hair was styled as usual – long bangs that reached his eyebrows carefully brushed down, no hair out of place – and he wore his regular faded, charcoal jeans, along with a black and white, horizontally striped shirt.


A cherry blossom fell from a nearby tree. He snapped a picture of it and continued to walk.


A small café was just a little more down the street, assorted plants on the outside and tables on the inside. A girl, around his age, with long brown hair and bangs to match, walked outside. The man stopped in his tracks. She looked up from where she was, her eyes meeting his.


There was a business woman nearby, and she tripped, throwing her belongings in the air. The stuff never hit the ground, and she never caught it, her arms were just raised, but she didn’t move.


Time was frozen as the man met the woman’s eyes for the first time. The birds paused their flying, the wind stopped blowing, and people on the streets paused with a foot midway to the concrete. Clocks weren’t ticking, but the man could feel his heart as alive as ever. He wasn’t frozen like the world around him. He lifted a hand to his chest, placing it over his heart as he stared at her frozen figure.


The business woman’s belongings fell, the birds flew away, wind blew, people walked on… and the young woman turned her head away.


Quickly looking away, he turned his attention down to his shoes, appearing to be in thought. His head raised, eyes slightly lifting to look at the young woman.



My eyes that get larger
My lips that open up slightly
My heart rings in my ears

 


She was beautiful. He could feel his heart pounding in his chest, his gaze never leaving her as she was there, no longer paying him attention. Her rounded lips and dark chocolate eyes, her fair, unblemished skin, her pink, highlighted cheeks, and her body, tall and rather skinny, were all so beautiful. She was a precious creature, sent from heaven. The young man found himself wondering if her personality matched her angel-like features.


He entered the café and took a seat at a table near the counter, setting his stuff down. He ordered himself a vanilla latte, and there she was, serving him. As she set down his drink, she gave him a soft smile. His heart raced at that. She was even more beautiful when she smiled. He slightly bowed his head – a thank you – and her smile brightened. He watched as she walked back to serve more customers.


He couldn’t take his eyes off of her, only forcing himself to avert his gaze when she looked at him, which seemed to be quite often.


He sat there while she worked, both secretly admiring each other.



60 seconds is all I need for this story
You came into my heart
I don’t doubt it
That you took me away
The time that wasn’t short
You’re that kind of person
A story that’s enough for me
I don’t need any reasons
You made my heart flutter and look for you
That first time



Days passed, and the two had fallen in love. He was at the café again, admiring her as usual, when she caught his gaze. Both pairs of eyes turned wide, cheeks flaming. As people left, and the café emptied, he stood, asking her to accompany him on a date. Her answer was shy, bashful, not thinking about anything but him. He smiled and left the café.


Their first date turned out a success, as the two were now a couple, as in love as newlyweds. He was often at her dwelling, her at his just as often.


They laughed together, her giggles giving him the most joy in the world.


They smiled together, his smile making her heart stop.


They sat on her couch, his arm around her shoulder.


They cooked food for themselves, playfully, yet adoringly, feeding each other.


They read books side by side, him unable to concentrate and kissing her cheek tenderly instead.


They were in love.


Before they both knew it, it had been months, and now it was summer. He looked at his calendar, realizing their monthsary was approaching within the week. He needed something to amaze her, to make her love him more. Something that couples would have. Something like a promise.


The answer to his waking question was simple; He could buy her a promise ring. A ring not meant for marriage, but still holding a promise for eternal love.


He set out, buying one with three small diamonds that fit her petite hand perfectly. When the day arrived, her reaction was just what he had been hoping for. She loved it, and she loved him for as long as they’d be together.



Your voice breaks off
Your tears that slowly build up
And fall over
I hold you with my chest
And stay there for a long time
Then slowly push you away



As in love as they were, she was crying, and he had caused it. Tears of pain leaked out of her eyes, and he hugged her tightly, his arms around the mid-section of her back. He let go.


Neither of them knew what caused the many fights in their relationship, but this one was the worst yet. He yelled at her, trying to get her to see from his point of view. She yelled back, trying to make him see what she was thinking instead. Neither of them took the time to realize how petty the fight actually was.


Each fight was something rather dense, both continuing to show anger towards one another throughout the following day. They yelled, their faces red, veins popping out.


She had had enough, finally breaking down from his brutal words. He sighed, realizing that his words could not be taken back, but he could apologize.


But she interrupted his apology. She told him she was done. Heaving a sigh, she took off her ring, grabbing his hand as he sat dumbfounded on his couch and placing the ring in his palm, closing his fingers around the small metal jewelry.



My empty eyes
My two lips that are at a loss for words
My heart stops at your sigh



He watched her leave, his eyes lifeless, ring in his fist, and heart clenched involuntarily. She was hurt by him, and now he had to pay the price. He stood, walking around aimlessly in his apartment, no thoughts entering his mind except for the painful memory of her back turned to him as she shut the door. He felt empty, dead inside. His eyes wandered to the ring, anger bubbling up inside as he shouted curses, throwing the ring across the room at the closed front door.

 

60 seconds is all I need for this story
You disappeared from my life
I didn’t hold you back
The time that wasn’t short
You’re that kind of person
A story that’s enough for me
I don’t need any reasons
You clearly sent it
You said you were hurting
And I let you go
Our last time



He had not gone to the café in months. As much as he wanted to go and patch up the best relationship he’s had, he couldn’t find the energy to move his legs. He laid in bed, trying to accept the fact that she was gone. He waited, hoping for at least a vibe from the earth that she was doing well. She probably had found a new lover, with how beautiful she always looked. He knew she wouldn’t come back, that it was up to him to fix everything, but his heart was not into it.


She kept herself busy, often wondering if she shouldn’t have left, if things would go back to how they had first been. Every day she waited, but she didn’t know why. Her mind told her she wouldn’t wait for long, that he’ll come for her eventually and beg for her back, but her heart knew he wasn’t coming as she sat there with a vanilla latte after closing hours for many nights.



(My two stories)
My hot and cold times (with you)
They’re both memories that you gave to me
(My two stories)
The same times, but with different sides of you
My double-edged memories



They had fought, they had loved. They had mostly sweet times, but the sour ones made their hearts pucker up in disgust. Their love seemed to last forever, but their hearts knew their love couldn’t go on. Their minds had deceived them, telling them false things, giving them false hopes even now as they both waited for each other.
There would be a day in the future when their fate is decided.


Do they stay together, does he get the courage to find her and win her heart back or does she leave him a note saying she acted out of sorts?


Or do they move one, forget about what had happened between them, act as if everything is fine now, and go out to find new love?


It had been too long by now, and she knew it was over for them. He was still hoping for her, hoping with all of his heart that she was doing well and happy with her newfound love, though he was unaware she had not found one.


Time was up and he had not moved on. His bruised heart was not healing, but hers was new and shining.



60 seconds is all I need for this story
You came into my heart
I don’t doubt it
That you took me away
The time that wasn’t short
You’re that kind of person
A story that’s enough for me
You disappeared from my life
I didn’t hold you back
The short amount of time
That I saw your heart



Clocks chimed and birds sang. People moved on in their lives, and so did the young man and woman.
He decided, after a long time of thinking and sobbing into his sheets, he’d go for a walk. He wore his black leather jacket again, along with dark jeans and a black and white striped shirt.


Outside it was raining, so he went to take hold of his umbrella, but the silver glint caught his eye. The ring, all three diamonds still in place, lied there, untouched. He clasped his fingers around it, his eyes nearly glaring, but he knew he was only angry at himself.


Ring and umbrella in his hand, he stepped outside, the rain mercilessly pounding on the streets and rooftops. With his umbrella over his head, he walked, his mind nowhere and eyes focused on the ring in hand.


His feet came to a stop, but he still did not look up. His free hand opened a door in front of him and he sat down in a chair.


He stared. And stared. And stared at that ring. He wanted to know how she was, if she was still as beautiful, and if her heart was no longer broken. He wondered if she treated her new love the way she treated him, or better.
She walked past him, oblivious to his shape, and deaf to his screaming thoughts. She served her customers as dutiful as always. She wasn’t wondering about him, or this so-called new love he believed she had found. Her focus was work and her future, not a love story that had never happened.



60초 – 60 seconds



The café was nearly empty on this rainy April afternoon, the sun mocking everyone as droplets poured from the sky. The man figured it was time to go, seeing as the female worker was putting on her jacket.
He stepped outside, opening his black umbrella, but not moving from the sidewalk. He was waiting, for what, only he knew.


A head of brown hair, walking outside, locking the door of the café. She was wearing a white jacket, with faux white fur along the hood, and a pink, black-dotted blouse. She shoved the keys in her pocket and looked up, her steps faltering as she looked at the man with shock. He had waited for her, greeting her with a smile. Who he was, she had no idea, but she wanted to know more. She met his eyes, giving him a smile that mirrored his own as he offered her some space under his umbrella.


The rain soon stopped, as did time.


All they had needed was 60 seconds.