FALLEN

Code 543

Location: Gyeongbu Expressway 
Time: 2:04 am

Baekhyun struggled to pull his Samsung Galaxy out of his pocket, accidentally stabbing Kris with his elbow. “Haha, my mom just bought our Second Box, that’s funny, I told you she would.”

“Doesn’t she already have like three copies of it?” Chanyeol teased absently as he poked away at his I-phone. Chanyeol was obsessed with Instagram. “Hey,” he said suddenly, “do you think it is legal to ride on the top of a subway train, as long as you are wearing a seatbelt?”

“What?” Baekhyun snorted, “Stop talking crazy Chanyeol.”

“I’m just saying,” Chanyeol said with a grin. “Like, if you managed to dig a hole to China, and jumped in, would you stop in the middle because of gravity?”

“Dig a hole and I’ll push you in so you can find out,” Baekhyun threw back quickly.

“Aww, would you really do that for me? You’re such a sweet puppy.” Chanyeol playfully squeezed Baekhyun’s thigh. Baekhyun fidgeted and glanced across the van to see Sehun watching them in amusement. Sehun quickly looked away before curling his legs up on the back seat with Luhan’s. This was a usual sight – Sehun and Luhan often found their limbs gravitating together in close spaces.

The closeness and affection that all of the members shared was almost more librating then what they shared with their girlfriends. Baekhyun stopped trying to rationalize this bond in his head a long time ago, especially when it came to Chanyeol.

As per usual, Kai was already asleep, and Lay was quickly following in his steps. Xiumin and Chen were playing a heated video game on the laptop while the rest of the members listed to AOA Cream’s “Jelly Baby” on the radio. Baekhyun wished he could fall asleep anywhere, like Kai, but often found that decent sleep only came when he was at the dorm, which was a rare thing these days.

Baekhyun met Suho’s eyes and smiled sleepily at his hyung. Suho was like a big brother to him, always looking out for him, always being the serious one even though he was not the oldest member. Suho instantly smiled back and looked ready to say something. His smile froze as his gaze suddenly moved to Chanyeol. “Chanyeol are you okay?” Baekhyun turned in his seat as he became alarmed by Chanyeol’s faint wheezing.

“I’m great!” Chanyeol replied, “I guess I jumped around too much during our rehearsals.”  This was no surprise to the members. Chanyeol didn’t like to complain and would often try to hide his injuries and illnesses from the other members because he did not want them to worry.

“You should get some sleep Chanyeol,” Suho suggested. Normally Chanyeol refuses to sleep, if he is not tired, but to Baekhyun and Suho’s surprise Chanyeol actually agreed with a nod. “Maybe you’re right hyung.” Baekhyun and Suho shared a concerned look but remained silent as Chanyeol slowly closed his eyes. “It would sure be nice to have a pillow right now,” Chanyeol yawned while keeping his eyes closed, “This door is not comfortable on my neck.” Baekhyun slightly grinned as he slid an arm around Chanyeol’s neck and pulled him closer to his chest.

Chanyeol’s smile slowly grew across his face as he snuggled into Baekhyun’s chest. “Best pillow ever” he mumbled, making Baekhyun laugh. As Chanyeol began to fall asleep, he instinctively curled up, tucking his hand under Baekhyun‘s knee. Baekhyun protectively placed his arm over Chanyeol’s back while thinking about how Chanyeol’s warm body on his thigh felt very nice. Baekhyun lightly chuckled to himself at the thought of what the fans would say if they could see them embraced like this.

“Aww,” Sehun cooed, breaking Baekhyun’s thought, as he lifted up his I-phone to take a picture, “Smile for Weibo!” Baekhyun just held up a peace sign before letting himself fall asleep under the warm blanket of Chanyeol’s body. If Luhan and Sehun could get away with it, so could he and Chanyeol. He had to take advantage of this moment. It was rare for Chanyeol to be this quiet which meant that he must have been very tired.

The members could really see the exhaustion on Chanyeol’s face the past couple of days. The dark circles under his eyes seemed to be even more prominent now without his stage make-up. But even with those circles, Chanyeol was one of the most handsome men any seeing eyes could lie upon. Although Baekhyun believed himself to be heteroual, he always had to stress to his managers that he liked girls. But that didn’t mean that he couldn’t appreciate Chanyeol from a distance.

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Location: Olympic Gymnastics Arena
Time: 9:30 pm

Another night for the EXOPLANET #2 – The EXO’luXion tour had been a success. Everyone forgot how tired they were because they were riding the energy wave from one of the most explosive concerts in KPOP history. The boys were deafened by the 13,000 fans endlessly screaming and shouting fan chants. None of the members had performed as well as tonight since their Love Me Right comeback stage performance. Chanyeol managed to forget about struggling to breathe after Drop That and even got to perform one of the songs that he wrote himself during the encore.

As the screens on the stage closed for the last time, the boys ran backstage and jumped into a group hug. As their manager congratulated them on a good show, Baekhyun stared at the wide smile on Chanyeol’s face and couldn’t help but give him another hug. Baekhyun was close with all of the members but he always found something special about a happy Chanyeol. Chanyeol always had a way of making Baekhyun feel comfortable and safe. They were two peas in a pod; always messing with DO during performances and giving the best fan service when they were in their affectionate moods.  

Neither had a problem with being all over each other, even when netizens raised eyebrows to their lack of boundaries. The EXO-Ls shipped their bromance as “ChanBaek” and although they often played it up for the fans, their connection and affection were genuine.

They finished the concert that night with their newest song, Unfair, while the entire arena was filled with falling confetti. “So awesome!!” Luhan yelled, using Baekhyun’s shoulders to bounce up and down. Suho walked beside them, whiping the sweat from his face, while Sehun laughed and skipped behind them.

“Wait for me Chanyeol!” Luhan hollered. Chanyeol had walked far ahead of the other members and was almost to the vans. Baekhyun looked up and could see that Chanyeol was holding his chest, struggling to breathe. Chanyeol made a slight whimper at Luhan’s shout. He frantically tried to grab the stair railing but missed, causing him to fall backwards off of the loading deck.

In this moment, time stood still for Baekhyun. The screams from all of the members were blending together and as much as Baekhyun’s heart was telling him to run, his body was frozen in place. All of the members, backstage crew, and security rushed to Chanyeol’s side. Tao was the first member to reach the edge of the loading deck and quickly made the 4ft jump down to the ground. From where Baekhyun was standing, he could barely see through the crowd of people to see Chanyeol lying lifeless on the ground. His head was spinning, everyone was shouting for an ambulance, and the only thing that Baekhyun could focus on was that he needed to get to Chanyeol right now.

“I need to get through!” he yelled, trying to shove through the other members. Just as Baekhyun reached Chanyeol’s side he was harshly shoved back by security. “You need to stay back Baekhyun,” “No, let me through! Chanyeol is injured!” Baekhyun cried, trying to run past Youngmin. “Chanyeol?!” He yelled out but Youngmin continued to hold him back forcibly. “Boys we need all of you to please stand back for now.” Baekhyun was not having any of it; he continued to push through the crowd until he was suddenly yanked backwards into a firm embrace. “Baekhyun, please calm down” Suho whispered in his ear, “the paramedics are here; let them do their job.”

Sehun stood on the loading deck platform trying to peer over the heads of the paramedics, “is he okay?” he asked. Youngmin did not reply but the answer to Sehun’s question was written all over his face. Baekhyun could not resist any longer; he aggressively ripped himself out of Suho’s embrace and shoved his way forcibly past the crowd. Upon reaching Chanyeol’s side, Baekhyun fell to his knees and burst into tears.

“Careful, don’t move him,” one of the paramedics said. Chanyeol was unconscious, lying crumpled on the ground where he fell. His skin was pale, there was no sign of the happy smile, and there was an eerie stillness to his body. As the paramedics held dressings to Chanyeol’s head wound, Baekhyun slowly, but gently, wiped away the trickle of blood running down his soft left cheek. “Chanyeol? It’s Baekhyun. Please open your eyes for me,” Baekhyun said urgently as he placed Chanyeol’s limp arm in his lap and tightly held his hand.

But before he could panic any further, Chanyeol faintly squeezed Baekhyun’s hand. “He can hear me! Chanyeol, please, wake up!” Baekhyun yelled. Chanyeol squeezed Baekhyun’s hand again.

Suddenly the monitor that was hooked up to Chanyeol’s heart started making an alarming loud noise. “Code 543! We’re losing him!” “Everyone please step back and give us some room!” cried the paramedics.

Baekhyun felt so helpless to do anything but stand back and watch in horror as Chanyeol flat lined.

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Location: YTN Headquarters
Time: Friday 7:11 am

“Good morning, this is Sunyoung Kim with Yonhap Television News.” “In today’s news, Chonnam National University is leading efforts in the R&D of micro-robots for medical use and hydrogen fuel cell technology. These efforts are part of the university’s strategy of boosting academic-industrial cooperation and encouraging students and faculties to create their own businesses. If the university implements its plans successfully, robot-related sales are expected to reach 5 trillion won by 2027.” 

With a sad expression, Sunyoung moved around the set to report the next story. “Also in the news, Chanyeol Park of the KPOP idol group EXO, was quickly admitted to the hospital last night after passing out at the end of EXO’s concert at the Olympic Gymnastics Arena in Seoul. Chanyeol’s manager has released a statement stating that Chanyeol’s condition was critical but stable. Let’s go over to Jen Moon, with our affiliate Arirang Korea TV, who is currently standing in front of the Seoul National University Hospital. Jen?”

“Thank you, Sunyoung.” “I just spoke with Dr. Kyung Su Kim moments ago and he informed me that they are still running tests to try and determine the cause of Chanyeol’s illness. SM Entertainment recently released a statement asking the fans to remain calm and to not crowd around the hospital. They also stated that they would be providing updates on Chanyeol’s condition throughout the day on EXO’s official website. Back to you Sunyoung.”

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Location: After School Club Set 
Time: Saturday 11:12 am

“Now,” said Jimin, in a more serious tone, “I’m sure by now everyone has heard the devastating recent news about EXO’s Chanyeol Park. Thursday night he was admitted to SNUH after struggling to breathe and passing out backstage at the Olympic Gymnastics Arena. Chanyeol still remains in critical condition.”

“Yes,” Kevin nodded, “our thoughts are with Chanyeol’s family during this difficult time.” “EXO was set to perform on our show today but under the circumstances, it is understandable why they have to make this interview short.” “Thank you for joining us EXO. We won’t keep you long as we know you want to get back to the hospital to be with Chanyeol.”

“We are very appreciative that you have taken this time to be with us today,” Eric added.

“Agree,” Kevin stated, “So we are here now with EXO’s Baekhyun, Sehun, Luhan, and Suho. Good morning boys. I understand that you had been sitting with Chanyeol all night in the ICU and here you are; welcome.”

“Good morning,” the boys mumbled from their seats. Luhan and Sehun sat silently with a heart-broken expression while Suho tightly held onto Baekhyun who was shivering and trying to shield his face from the cameras.“We appreciate you talking to us while the other EXO members sit with Chanyeol” said Jimin smoothly.

“First I would like to ask, has there been any recent updates on Chanyeol’s condition? Do the doctors know what is making Chanyeol ill?

As EXO’s leader, Suho spoke first - his was voice jagged as he tightened his grip around Baekhyun. “We spoke to the doctor before driving here – our manager is updating our official website to inform the fans now. Chanyeol has been diagnosed with Hypoxemia which derived from untreated chronic Hypoxia.”  

Jimin, Kevin, and Eric gasped at once – Eric continuously shook his head in disbelief while Jimin sat in a daze, covering .

“Chanyeol will remain in the ICU for the next three days,” Sehun added, “the doctors were worried because Chanyeol’s oxygen levels were so low, but they seem to have a more positive outlook on his recovery now that Chanyeol’s body has responded to treatment.” “Has he regained consciousness at all?” Kevin asked.

“No,” Suho replied stubbornly, “Chanyeol has been in a coma since he passed out.”

“And how are all of the members handling this?” Jimin asked politely, “You look exhausted.”

“It’s very difficult to…” Luhan replied before quickly looking away, unable to continue through the tears that started flowing. Sehun touched his knee gently and added, “It’s very difficult to see Chanyeol so fragile. He’s like a brother to us; EXO is not complete without him,” he paused, “None of us have really slept and I honestly don’t think any of the members will until Chanyeol wakes up. With the 11 of us crowded into his room, we’re driving the nurses crazy.”

“It’s always a pleasure to see all of the members together supporting each other,” said Eric with a positive tone, “it’s obvious that all of the members have become close since your debut. I am guessing that you will be cancelling the rest of your EXO’luXion concert dates? Will you be taking any time off from your personal schedules as well?”

“We will not be cancelling any of the concerts,” Suho replied slowly. “the EXO-Ls mean everything to us and we will not disappoint them. Chanyeol would be angry at us if we did and as everyone saw in our Sing For You music video, Chanyeol packs a mean punch. Chanyeol will obviously not be there but the rest of the members will continue on and we will do our best to put on a good performance for the EXO-Ls.”

“Ah EXO, always looking out for their fans,” Jimin replied, “and thank you again for taking the time to talk to us. We know that you're eager to get back to the hospital so we won’t keep you from Chanyeol’s side any longer. Please tell the other members that we are thinking about them and are wishing Chanyeol a speedy recovery.”

“Fighting!” Kevin echoed.

After EXO left the set, Jimin wiped the tears forming in her eyes and said to Eric, “that was so upsetting. Did you see their faces?”

“They are completely distraught right now,” Eric nodded, “it’s nice to see that they genuinely care about each other,” Kevin added.

Jimin shook her head in disbelief, “and poor Baekhyun, he couldn’t stop crying.”