New York is a Scary Place!

Son of a Devil

    Kyungsoo giggled and shoveled more rice into his mouth. Chinese food was absolutely amazing! He took some more chicken from the makeshift container and kept on eating. Jongin wasn’t expecting someone so small to eat so much.

“So Kyungsoo, right?” Kyungsoo nodded and smiled at Jongin. “You’ve really never had Chinese food?”

“Yeah. Hell’s food is quite bland.”

“Hell?” A puzzled look overtook Jongin’s face.

“He means Hell, Michigan!” Jongdae interceded. “Super small area, ty name, there isn’t much to expect there.”

“Oh, I see. I’ve uhm...never been to Michigan. Never knew they had such a weirdly named place.”

Kyungsoo first gave Jongdae a skeptical look, but he caught on soon enough. After they finished eating Jongin began cleaning up, after losing a game of rock,paper,scissors, and left Kyungsoo to ask more questions about the human world. Jongdae quickly informed him about the fact that he can never let anyone know he is the child of satan, mostly because people will think he’s crazy.

    Kyungsoo was about to take off his hat when Jongdae slammed it back down onto his head and waved his head frantically.

“You must keep these on at all times.” Jongdae pointed towards his own hat.

Kyungsoo sighed and nodded. There were more rules than he was expecting. Jongdae then turned him towards him and made him look into his eyes.

“Listen closely Kyungsoo. Humans are dangerous. You’re only use to the ones that are being punished, therefore servile, but humans that are living here are ruthless. They seem to believe the ultimate form of evil is your father when in actuality it is them.”

Kyungsoo could only nod again. His father had said something similar, but he thought he was just being over dramatic, hearing someone else say it was a little worrisome.

“That must be why you live with an angel.” Kyungsoo confirmed to himself.

“Excuse me?”

“You’re roommate is an angel!”

“You mean Jongin? He’s 100% human!”

“He’s too pretty to be completely human.”

“Please don’t tell me you have a crush on my bratty roommate.”

“Don’t you dare call Jongin a brat!”

“Oh my beelzebul, you totally have a crush on him!”

“Crush on who?”
Both turned to see Jongin staring at them with one eyebrow raised.

“Kyungsoo has a-” Kyungsoo flung his hands over Jongdae’s mouth to shut him up.

“We were just talking about our favorite tv show!”
“Ahhh I see.” Jongin turned to go collapse on the bed again.

Jongdae smirked at Kyungsoo, he now knew exactly how to pick on the little prince.

“You’re a devil.”

“Well I am a demon.”

Kyungsoo went to go get his bag, which he left at the door, and carried it into the center of the apartment. He sat on the floor and just stared at one of the four walls.

“What on Earth are you doing?” Jongin questioned the smaller boy.

“I don’t know. I don’t know where to start.”

“First time in New York?” Kyungsoo nodded, first time in the mortal world actually. “Jongdae has work tomorrow, so he won’t be able to show you around.”

“Oh…” Kyungsoo sulked.

“Uhm, I don’t have rehearsal tomorrow so maybe I could?”

“Yes, please!” Kyungsoo smiled and practically jumped in the air. “Wait...what is a rehearsal?”

“Don’t tell me you’re a poor child that is cut off from the arts!” Jongin gasped.

“I guess I am.”

“I’m an actor. I sing and dance on a stage for an entire audience, rehearsal is when I practice.”

“You’re an actor!?”
“Well I’m attempting to be.”

“You’re amazing!”

Jongin smiled at the compliment. He had found the boy’s looks quite pleasing, and he was now finding out that he had a cute, hyper personality. Cute boys have always been Jongin’s type, and he thinks he has just found his next target. He wasn’t a playboy or anything like that, he just hasn’t found anybody worth his time yet. Kyungsoo seemed oddly promising.

“Let’s go to bed! I’m tired!”

“What is this a dormitory? Why do we all have to go to bed at the same time?” Kyungsoo sassed Jongdae.

“Because I can’t sleep with the lights on and you two chattering.”

“He’s always like this, you’ll get used to it.” Jongin reassured the pouting Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo trudged off into the bathroom, the only part of the apartment that was separate from everything else, and got ready for bed. Once he had his beanie secured with bobby pins he grabbed his devil penguin plushie, it had horns that looked just like his, and headed back into the main area of the apartment.

“Where am I sleeping?” Kyungsoo looked quizzically at the king sized bed, the only one in the entire room.

“With us. We all share the bed.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened in shock. He would be sleeping next to Jongin, hopefully.

“You can sleep in the middle Kyungsoo.” Jongin smiled warmly and nodded towards the empty spot.

“You can just call me Soo!” Kyungsoo smiled back as he climbed under the covers.

Jongdae proceeded to gag at their friendliness. He rolled over and whispered into Kyungsoo’s ear;

“Your dad owes me a promotion.”

Kyungsoo just stuck his tongue out in reply. Jongin turned off the lights and jumped into bed next to Kyungsoo. The poor devil’s heart started beating rapidly. It took him forever to finally calm it down. He glanced over and saw that both Jongdae and Jongin were already sleeping. He was about to drift into blissful sleep when he felt a pressure on top of his body. His eyes shot open and he looked to see that Jongin’s legs and arms were sprawled out across his body.

“Oh my satan help me to not freak out right now.”

Kyungsoo wasn’t going to get any sleep.

    “Did you wear your hat to bed last night Soo?” Jongin asked before taking a sip of his coffee.

Kyungsoo nodded and pulled his beanie down tightly onto his head. Jongin’s gaze always seems to be intense when he talks to someone. It was nice that someone pays so much attention in a conversation, but at the same time a little unnerving.

“Well, it’s better than the shower cap that Jongdae wears to bud.” Jongin pointed towards said man who was currently devouring his breakfast.

“It is not a shower cap damn it!” Jongdae yelled back, eggs spilling out of his mouth.

Kyungsoo grimaced at the sight and handed him a napkin.

“Hey Hyung, are you starting work late today?”
“Jongin, why on Earth would I be starting work late today?”

“Well you're usually there by eight...it’s eight right now.”

Jongdae let out a shriek and grabbed his bag whilst running the door. He turned back and smiled at Kyungsoo, flipped Jongin off and ran out the door.

“Is he always like this?” Kyungsoo asked.

“Yep. I’m surprised he still has his job.” Jongin smiled. “Do you want some coffee?”

“Oh no thank you, I’ve had coffee once before it’s too bitter!”

“Well you’re quite young so I guess it doesn’t suit your taste yet, how old are exactly? Nineteen?”

“Huh? I’m twenty-three.” Kyungsoo nibbled on some bacon.

“You’re older than me!? You look way to young!” Kyungsoo glared at him. “Not that it’s bad, everyone wants to look young forever!”

“I’m going to go get changed. You can still show me around right?”

“Yeah of course!”

Jongin watched as Kyungsoo happily skipped into the bathroom with his bag. He couldn’t believe he was younger than him. Kyungsoo looks so little! He was also curious as to how someone that has been alive for twenty-three years is so naive.

    Jongin believes that Kyungsoo’s parents must have kept him locked in their attic all his life. It was always quite normal for people to be amazed with New York city when they first visit, but Kyungsoo is curious about everything! He has chased every dog he’s seen, keeps having long conversations with homeless men, gets into fights with religious protesters, and wants to try every food he sees claiming he’s never had them before. They had to stop for a cup of fro-yo, making this the fifth food stop.

“Soo, is this your very first time away from home? Everything seems so new to you.”

“Well, my dad is very overprotective, my older brother can be just as bad as my dad at times.”

“What about your mom?”

“Oh...my mom passed away a while back.”

Jongin wanted to slap himself across the face for his stupid question. He should have realised that his mother wasn’t in the picture when he  didn’t mention her in the first place.

“I’m so sorry Kyungsoo…”

“It’s okay, that is why I’m here anyway! My mom grew up in New York, she left after she married my dad.”

“I see.” Jongin smiled. “Well, then I’ll be your official guide! I’ll help you with whatever you need!”

Kyungsoo couldn’t get over how beautiful Jongin’s smile was. He had flashed it multiple times on their adventures so far, but it was even more amazing every time. Jongin grabbed their empty, plastic cups to throw them out and get some water. Chocolate always made him thirsty apparently. Jongin warned Kyungsoo not to wander off. Yes, Kyungsoo may be a twenty-three year old, but he’s been acting like sixteen year old so Jongin can’t help but treat him like one. The city isn’t the safest place for someone so naive. Sadly though, Kyungsoo always lets his curiosity lure him into danger. One man came running up to Kyungsoo when no one else was on the benches outside, and of course a lot of people just ignore what is going on around them in usual city folk fashion.

“You gotta help me! My dog is badly injured!”

“What!? Where is he!” Kyungsoo couldn’t stand to even hear the fact that a puppy was hurt.

“Just down that alley! Come with me! He’s a little bigger so I can’t carry him myself!”

Kyungsoo willingly followed the suspicious man.

Jongin exited with a water bottle in his hand and instantly noticed that Kyungsoo had disappeared. He called out for him, but there was no reply. He started heading down towards one of the alleyways to see if he had gotten curious and ventured in. Then he heard Kyungsoo’s voice.

“Hey I don’t see your furry friend anywhere! Wait what are you doing!?”

Jongin ran down the alley at lighting speed and grabbed the man that was originally holding a knife to Kyungsoo’s throat. The man cut Jongin’s chest and knocked him over the head. Jongin passed out and fell to the floor. Kyungsoo looked over Jongin’s crumpled body in shock, then he began to fill with anger.

“Now back to you cutie.” The man began to approach Kyungsoo again.

“No one should ever hurt an angel, especially not with the filthy hands of a human.” Kyungsoo glared at the man, his eyes now a shade of red. “How dare you harm him!”

Black veins began to spiral up Kyungsoo’s neck and onto his cheeks, his eyebrows were firmly knitted together.

“Oh my god!”

“Wrong guy.” Kyungsoo chuckled. “You’re dealing with Satan now.”

“Please don’t hurt me, please!” The man begged, his hands in a praying position.

Kyungsoo grabbed his hands and gripped them tightly, breaking his hand in the process.

“That doesn’t work with my kind.”

This time, even the city folk couldn’t help but notice the blood curling scream that filled the air.

    Jongin felt groggy as he struggled to open his eyes. He heard his name and glanced over to see a worried Kyungsoo sitting next to him.

“Where am I?”

“The hospital. You got injured trying to help me.” Kyungsoo looked down, he felt ashamed of himself.

“Are you okay?”

“Why are you asking that stupid!? You’re the one that had to get stitches!” Tears began to waterfall out of Kyungsoo’s eyes.

“Hey Soo don’t cry, it wasn’t your fault. What even happened to that bastard?”

“Someone nearby saw what happened and called the police, they came and helped as well. He tried to runaway at first but they caught him.”

“You did a good job, Soo.” Jongin weakly patted Kyungsoo’s head.

He couldn’t believe such a little angel came into his life, or so he thought at least.

“Kyungsoo can you come out here so I can talk to you?” Jongdae peeked his head through the door.

Kyungsoo nodded and followed him outside the room.

“Well, it’s your second day here and you already ed up.”

“I did not! I was helping Jongin!”

“You killed a mortal Kyungsoo!” Jongdae sighed. “Your dad found out immediately and sent someone else to help me look after you.”

“Who?”

“Kyungie!! My favorite squishy!!”

Kyungsoo stared down the hall in horror. “NOT HIM! ANYONE BUT HIM!”

So it got a bit violent, but I wanted to show that Kyungsoo actually is quite capable of taking care of himself aahaha! I hope you enjoyed this chapter!! Let me know what you think in the comments!

Also~ big thanks to anyone who has subscribed, commented, and upvoted! I send love to all of you! ahaha

P.S. none of the images belong to me!!