Chapter 28 - I Can Hear You, Ryosuke

The watch you wanted to give me on March 14

Sakura POV

 

When I was knocked down by the van, the pain was so intensifying that I couldn’t open my eyes. It was until I heard Ryosuke calling me I opened my eyes and saw his worried face. He was holding my hands throughout, till I gradually went into sleep.

 

Despite hearing Ryosuke asking me not to sleep, I couldn’t control myself… It was just too painful, I couldn’t breath well, my vision became darker and darker by itself...

 

Ryosuke…

 

I am sorry…

 

Let me take a nap first…

 

………………………………………….

 

I could hear bits and pieces of voices during my sleep. At first, the voices sounded really blurred and mumbled, I couldn’t catch what people was talking around me.

 

The first complete sentence I heard was,

 

“Ryosuke, you do know that Sakura wouldn't want to see you skipping school and tuition for her right?”

 

That voice…

 

Ah… It belonged to Ryosuke’s stepfather…

 

Did he just said Ryosuke was skipping school and tuition…?

 

Was it because of me…?

 

It must be…

 

Ryosuke…

 

I hope you won’t become so depressed because of me…

 

“If what you are doing now is what you think Sakura would be happy to see, then fine, I’ll not bother you anymore.”

 

It was a female voice this time…

 

Ah… Ryosuke’s mother…!!

 

Seems like they are trying to get Ryosuke to pull himself together…

 

……………

 

It is all my fault…………..

 

……………….

 

Suddenly, something wet dropped onto my arms…

 

I heard a crying voice…

 

It was…

 

Ryosuke...

 

“Sakura… Wake up… I beg you…”

 

Ryosuke was speaking beside my ears…

 

He is crying badly…

 

I want to embrace him…

 

But I can’t move…

 

I can’t open my eyes…

 

Ryosuke… I am here… I’m not leaving you yet…

 

I want to be by your side when we go check the board for passing examinees who are eligible to get into Tokyo University.

 

And we’ll spot your examinee number up there together…

 

We’ll be smiling happily to each other…

 

That is my wish for now…

 

Can you feel it…?

 

I hope you can…

 

I am sure you can feel my words for you…

 

Because you love me, right?

 

………………….

 

I felt a drop of tear flowing down my cheeks…

 

Ah…

 

I hope Ryosuke can see it…

 

That is the only way I can show him that I am listening to him...

 

…..!!!

 

This sensation on my cheeks…!!!

 

Is it Ryosuke’s fingertips…?

 

Ryosuke must have saw my tear… He must have saw it…!!!

 

“Sakura! Can you hear me??”

“Sakura…”

“I understood…”

“I got your words…”

“I will listen to you…”

“So in return you must listen to me and wake up quickly alright?”

“Sakura… Wait for me… I’ll be back soon…”

 

Ryosuke got it…!

 

He got what I was trying to express…

 

I went into sleep again… But I was awakened by the opening of the door some time after.

 

“Hi Miss Sakura! This is Ryosuke, the Ryosuke that belongs to you and only you. I went home for a shower just now, do I smell good now? I’m also wearing a suit now, do I look smart? The previous time you saw me in suit you said I’m dashing right? So you should wake up soon and experience such a Ryosuke with your eyes personally!”

 

It is Ryosuke…

 

He is wearing a suit now…? I want to see it...

 

“Anyway Miss Sakura, what I’ve just said is not the main point. I’m going into the main topic now.”

 

“In a few minutes time, it’ll be March 14, do you know what day it is? It is called the White Day. I think you know it since you are always so smart…”

 

“Remember you gave me hand-made chocolates eleven years ago? It’s time for me to return you a gift. I’m sorry for being late, I’m sorry for letting you wait so long for my reply. I’m giving you my reply now...”

 

What is Ryosuke talking about…?

 

I felt Ryosuke putting something on my left wrist…

 

What is it…?

 

It feels a little cold…

 

“As I have thought, this watch suits you so much… Don’t you think I have good taste ever since I was a kid?”

 

Ah… It is a watch…?

 

Now that I recall… eleven years ago, on 14 March 2006, Ryosuke asked me out to meet him at the park we always hang out.

 

He said he has got something to pass to me…

 

But that day, I wasn’t able to reach his side…

 

I remember I was standing at the traffic light, and Ryosuke saw me from the opposite side.

 

We waved to each other and when the pedestrian lights turned green I was crossing the road normally, it was then I saw one car speeding towards me, soon I felt someone pushing me aside.

 

Thereafter the accident took place.

 

Ryosuke’s father pushed me aside to save me but he got knocked down by the car instead.

 

The next moment I opened my eyes, I saw Ryosuke’s yelling face across the road, he was screaming non-stop till suddenly he stopped all his movements. As if his soul was being taken away.

 

I wanted to run to his side to embrace him, but he was taken away by Naito-san.

 

And I went back to check on Ryosuke’s father’s injuries.

 

It was then he told me that the driver of the car who knocked him down was hired by Ryosuke’s mother who wanted me dead. Before I had time to sort things out in my brain, Ryosuke’s father’s last words for me was asking me to take care of Ryosuke… Then he was taken away by the ambulance.

 

………………………………

 

So it has been eleven years already…

 

Wait…

 

What did Ryosuke just said…?

 

How did Ryosuke know I gave him chocolates eleven years ago…?

 

He…….

 

He has regained his memories?!?!

 

Was my accident the key that triggered back his memories?!?!

 

I am guessing it is so…

 

If that is so…

 

Then everything I did is worthwhile…

 

Ah, Ryosuke is speaking again…

 

“Sakura… By putting this watch on your wrist, it only signifies something…”

“From now on… My time is yours…”

“I’ll fully be belonged to you…”

“Sakura… I love you… I love you deeply… Can you feel my love…?”

 

……………….

 

Ryosuke…

 

Yes… I can feel it… I can feel it completely…

 

I can feel the warmth from your hands on my left hand,

 

I can feel the kiss you gave on my forehead,

 

I can feel your fingertips wiping the tear off my face...

 

“Sakura… You’ve waited for me ten years…”

“This time round, it’ll be my turn…”

“I’ll wait for you…”

“Even if it’s till eternity…”

 

Ryosuke…

 

Give me some more time…

 

I will wake up…

 

I will wake up just for you…

 

I will wake up for your smiles…

 

I will wake up to see with my own eyes…

 

The watch you wanted to give me on March 14...

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

いつでもどこへでも - KinKi Kids

 

君の中に寂しさ

The loneliness in you

頰をつたう 大きなしずく

The big drop that fell off your cheeks

はじめて見る 君の淚

It was the first, I saw your tears

思わず震える大地

It was impactful

 

君が空に願う何かの

The wish you made to the sky

少しづつを僕が探そう

I’ll find it gradually

「せめて」の氣持ちで

I’ll ‘at least’

君の名前を呼んだ

Call your name

 

君に會うために 君を抱くために

In order to meet you, In order to hug you

僕はいつでもどこででも

Whenever, wherever I am

今の一秒も そして未來でも

This moment, and the future after this

君の笑顏がすべてさ

Your smiles is everything

 

君に會うために 君を抱くために

In order to meet you, In order to hug you

僕はいつでもどこへでも

Whenever, wherever I am

僕のまなざしも 冷たい手のひらも

Even my gazing, and that pair of cold hands

君の淚はいらない

I don’t want your tears...

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s Note: Wrote this chapter to show Sakura’s inner feelings while she was asleep. I think the readers can understand the title of this fanfic better after reading this chapter. The watch, is a long awaited gift which was unpassed, as well as a long awaited feelings which was unexpressed. It was all made clear in this chapter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------