Chapter 1

Baby, Can't You Sea?

"I still don't get why our school is called octopus, but our mascot is a fricking squid." Himchan stated once again as Yongguk slid into the seat in front of him.

"I still don't get how I'm the school mascot, but you look more like a squid than I do." Yongguk stared blankly at his best friend whose face was contorted into a horrified expression before yelling, "GODDMANIT BBANG FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME I DO NOT LOOK LIKE A SQUID."

"A very cute squid." Jongup interrupted, giving his boyfriend a peck on the cheek before sitting down next to him. They had this conversation every single lunch period on a Friday because there was always a game on Frida and Himchan probably just enjoyed bringing up the irony just to get a new response every time. His best buess was that this had been going on since their freshman year considering he was a junior, Yongguk and Himchan were seniors. Himchan only rolled his eyes in response, but there was still an obviously bashful grin pasted on his face.

Himchan enjoyed telling the story whenever he got to introduce the mascot to the field. Of how the middle school badass, Bang Yongguk, managed to become the red school mascot with a gummy smile. After basketball tryouts, Himchan had ensured that Yongguk would lose a bet in order for him to try out for cheer. However, as it happened, Yongguk's cheering was- to put it bluntly- horrible due to his inflexibility. The cheer captain, Kim Jong- something or other, had told him that there was a perfect position for him...and that was how Bang Yongguk became the new mascot for Tako Academy.

"Hey, you think the same octopus as last year is gonna be there?" Yongguk said, interrupting Jongup's thoughts.

"I was asking Dae and-" Jongup began before being interrupted by his boyfriend.

"You mean the soccer captain for Calamari?"

"Channie, he's my best friend."

"You two don't even go to the same school!"

"You know strict his parents can be."

"So...Is the dancing octopus going to be there or what?" the mascot asked, interrupting the bickering lovers.

"Right, so I was talking to Dae and he saif that his friend was going to be the mascot again this year," Jongup answered, "Also, the octopus is a sophmore."

"So young? Wow, way to score Gukkie." Himchan grinned before looking between his boyfriend and his best friend, "So somehow we went from 'sunbae notice me' to 'dongsaeng notice me'. Well isn't that a change?"

"Now that I think about it, you look more like a snake than a squid." he said before standing up to leave.

"NOW YOU LISTEN HERE BANG YONGGUK I DO NOT LOOK LIKE A SNAKE- HEY DON'T YOU WALK AWAY FROM ME!"


"If I eat this takoyaki," Jonhong stared at his lunch, "Is it cannablism, support for the enemy, or defeat of the enemy?"

"I think this mascot thing is starting to get to your head." Daehyun said with a mouthful of said food and a bored look on his face.

"If I eat this calamari, am I endorsing our school or the enemy?" Youngjae added as he dipped his calamari in lukewarm marinara sauce.

"When I agreed to date the student council president, I didn't think it would turn out like this-" Daehyun sighed, "Am I the only one who finds this weekly conversation boring and slightly worrisome?"

"Yes." the other two said immediately in monotone voices before they cautiously chewed their food in thought.

"I still don't get how the heck Junhong managed to convince the cheerleaders to let him be mascot. I mean all he does is break dance in the middle of the gym and scare grandmas who come to games for the first time."

"You forget the times I've saved grandmas from rogue sports equipment." Junhong said.

"Speaking of dancing mascots, I heard their squid is a senior" Daehyun interjected, hoping to change the topic.

"My year?" Youngjae raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, I was talking to Jongup and-"

"Isn't he dating the captain of the Tako soccer team?"

"Yes, that one."

"He is fricking mastermind, I can't wait to go up against him again."

"Anyway, Jongup was asking about you since their mascot thought you were dope, and that's how I found out their mascot is a senior."

"If that's the case, I can't wait to crush that senior's dreams when we kick their at the game tonight." Junhong grinned. 

"Oh sunbae, allow me to admire that of yours before my team TEARS Y'ALL UP!" Youngjae attempted to imitate Junhong in a shrill voice causing said octopus to kick him in the shin from under the table.

"And this is why you should've joined the soccer team." Youngjae pouted as he rubbed his shin in pain.

"I prefer raps to laps thank you."

"Yeah, until you find a nice lap to sit on- OW!!"