Burning Unseen (Yerin/SinB)

Chasing After Time

A/N: For justgfriend, my favourite buddy.


Love is a fire that burns unseen,
a wound that aches yet isn’t felt,
an always discontent contentment,
a pain that rages without hurting,

—Luís Vaz de Camões

When Sinbi asks Yerin what she’s reading with such a fixated expression, Yerin hurriedly shoves the book of poems out of sight and pastes a smile on her face.

“Nothing! Just—some light reading, you know.”

“Doesn’t look that light,” Sinbi says, cocking her head to the side. “Is that…poetry? I thought you finished that unit in class last month.”

They did and Yerin is grateful for that, as much as she likes poetry, so she doesn’t have to keep looking at these works describing the ugliest of things in the prettiest of words, while they look back at her. Works lamenting loss, discussing disillusionment, ruminating ruin. There are so little happy poems in there; what glimpses of light there are seem to exist only to emphasize the darkness.

She wonders why people seem to like writing about sorrow so much more than joy.

“Hello?” Sinbi asks. “Earth to Yerin?”

“Huh?”

Sinbi grins and raps her knuckles against Yerin’s temple. “Do you have too much poetry going on up there to pay attention to me?”

How could I, Yerin thinks. Whatever may occupy her mind, it can’t displace the number one thing that fills it. Or rather, the number one person, who is grinning at her right now, her whole face crumpled up with it in that way of hers.

“Don’t you have football practice to get to?” Yerin asks instead.

“Yeah, I do.” Sinbi makes a face. “I should get going actually before Sojung unnie tracks me down, kills me and makes a ball out of my hide.”

“I don’t think she’s that violent…”

Sinbi grimaces. “I won’t test it. I’ll see you later, unnie, enjoy reading your poetry books. Don’t get lost in there.” She grins again, playfully tweaks Yerin’s glasses, and then she’s gone with a wave.

Yerin stares after her, feeling like she just read a sonnet with thirteen lines, a poem without an ending.


A/N: The poem that is quoted at the beginning is translated from Portuguese and both the original version and the English translation that I used can be found here.

I want to continue this but I unfortunately have neither the time nor the energy to.